Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 08:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

I'm not a fan of small blocks, but one thing to remember about FE engines. They are old technology, having first come out in 1958 if I remember correctly. Yes, new parts have been designed and built that help out, but the basic building blocks are still old.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Fred. How's things in Hermosa Beach? I used to live about 25 minutes from there when I lived in LA. Man, how I miss being 5 minutes from Manrina Del Rey everyday. Thanks for you response. I respect you and all the owners in this community. There's a wealth of knowledge and first hand experience to be had just by registering myself here. I'm hopeful that being a part of CC will get me that much closer to my dream of becoming an Cobra Replica Owner myself! I agree that all the builders you mentioned are top notch and for me, SPF just feels right. Knowing that this CC is a worldwide community, it's ironic that after choosing SPF as my builder a few months ago, I discover that one of the best if not the best SPF dealers Olthoff Racing, is located an hour and 30 minutes from my house.... Incredible!!!! Man I love this journey....Oh yeah, thanks for the tip on how much focus cars like this require. I have total respect of the Cobra Beast and I know to much torque could kill me LOL! So, I'll have fun, but always respecting the power of thes incredible machines. Thanks again...

Chris
Old 05-30-2012, 10:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SP3033, KC SBF 427
Not Ranked     

Just 2 more cents for you. I did a very thorough study before buying a new cobra from Lance at Hillbank (great group of people by the way). For me it's an occassional, mildly driven street machine with occassional high spirited street duty (let's say 2000-3000 miles/year). Someday maybe some track training - but not interested in track as a hobby. But I DO appreciate pride of ownership and am very techincially inclined. Given that I bought a replica so trying to match "authentic" wasn't in the cards. So I opted for technical enhancements that still maintain the basic look and spirit of the car. My choice of engines was a Keith Craft SBF all aluminum 427 (554 hp, 580 ft-lbs torque). It's lighter than the 289s that won al the races (~51 - 52% on the rear wheels) - best handling, best acceleration. It is truly a 427 (true to the namesake). The power/weight ratio is ~the same as the originals (less power, less weight) - performance is downright awsome. Costs less than a Roush even though the KC too has very good parts. I got the aluminum block upgrade and it was still a bit less than a Roush (even with shipping). Some folks have said the KC is really rough on the low end. I had them tune the cam down a bit (from the 580 hp catalog version), added a 2-plane air-gap manifold and then added vacuum advance and some idle tuning (not finished with the carb yet) and the engine is quite smooth (5th gear - .83 Tremec) at 40 mph with 275-40x18 tires. At 1200 miles of breakin I'm getting ~15 mph on the highway (8-9 around town). Finally, I decided on KC because they are a single shop - controlled by Keith (but they are a long ways away if there's a problem). I had a few shipping issues and they sent replacement parts out right away - very positive experience with KC. Roush is huge - has many builders so I think they can't control quality as well - BUT they can, and do, quicky handle any problems you have (so I've heard).

Fiinal note. I've had limited dealing with Dennis O (parts and advice) - always top notch. I'm in California and, fortunately, live close to Eric Voss - has done some work for me and is absolutely great.

SPF is, IMHO, one of the top replicas you can own so - congrats on your choice.

And good luck on the rest of the decisions you'll make - but be assured there isn't a decision that's really bad. It's all good.

Matt

Last edited by mattpatt; 05-30-2012 at 10:16 PM..
Old 06-03-2012, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks so much for the tips and reaffirmation comments regarding my questions. Based on everthing I've heard about Dennis Olthoff, I'm sure he'll point me in the right direction with engine choices etc. I know for sure that I plan to take my wife on some long cruises visiting other states across the US so, the mpg will definately be a major factor when making my final decision on which way to ultimately go engine wise. I know I will have some limited track use so I can have that experience but for the most part, I'll use my SPF Cobra for daily use and long cruises. Thanks!!!....

Chris
Old 06-03-2012, 10:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Crash! I'll keep that in mind.

Cobra Braggin'
"Cobra Man For Life"
Old 06-03-2012, 10:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Understood. Thanks for your 2 cents. I'm not an expert engine guy or car expert by any means, so every little bit of tips/advice helps me a lot!
Old 06-03-2012, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Matt for your helpful insight. I really appreciate you and all the other CC members comments. Being a novice with all of this Cobra stuff can be a bit intimidating but because of the CC network, it has eased any anxiety I may have had before. I agree with you that for me, there are no bad choices. All of the choices are good because I'm making them on what's best for me. After all, when I finally do order my new SPF MKIII, it will be my ultimate dream car so what could be better than that... Thanks again.

Chris
Old 06-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Braggin' View Post
Thanks so much for the tips and reaffirmation comments regarding my questions. Based on everthing I've heard about Dennis Olthoff, I'm sure he'll point me in the right direction with engine choices etc. I know for sure that I plan to take my wife on some long cruises visiting other states across the US so, the mpg will definately be a major factor when making my final decision on which way to ultimately go engine wise. I know I will have some limited track use so I can have that experience but for the most part, I'll use my SPF Cobra for daily use and long cruises. Thanks!!!....

Chris
At least for me, the gas mileage would be the last thing I would consider.

Our last long trip was over 2500 miles and I averaged 8.5 MPG, but every mile was with a smile on my face.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Amen to that!!!! I'm looking forward to having a smile just like as much as possible...
Old 06-08-2012, 06:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427R
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Frigo View Post
That means absolutely nothing. The only thing that does is give money to the old man, I mean dead man. It does nothing for resale value or desirability.
After failing to put Superformance out of business for copying his cars, Carroll Shelby saw the quality of their product and asked them to build his continuation cars for him. That means something. To be a little more accurate, Hi Tech of South Africa who builds the Superformance cars also builds Shelby CSX series roadsters, coupes, and slabsides.
mike harter likes this.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Gee Tee, I absolutely agree with you!!! I've done extensive research on the 1965 Shelby Cobra 427 to come my decision to go with SPF as my builder of choice. Carroll Shelby was one of the greatest American car men ever! I don't believe for one minute that he came to the only official licensing agreement with SPF to build his car based on just $. He wasn't that type of man. He would have never given SPF the license if he didn't believe they built the best replica of his original.

In addition to me researching all aspects of the SPF operation, the fact that they are the only builder he let put his name on outside of his Shelby American brand, made all of the difference in me comming to my final decision to go with SPF. It definitely meant something to me!

Cobra Braggin'
"Cobra Man For Life"
Old 12-24-2012, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #6101 streetbeast Ingelese stack EFI 351w/t-5 9" 4link 3.55
Not Ranked     

I bought a Street Beasts COBRA (my fault) but It is really turning out to be a nice car. But $$$$$$$ to get it that way. Never herd of Club Cobra until 3 years after i bought my COBRA. Sounds like you are doing it the right way and lots of good info. from these guys. Anyway My point is if a Street Beasts car can turn out to be a good car then any of the other ones metioned is a walk in the park!!! Go to my profile and look at my album. Good luck and keep asking questions it will save you time, money,and headaches....
Old 12-24-2012, 10:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Chris, Take it for what it's worth but a number of my buddies that have 427's were always complaining about over heating if they got caught in slow moving traffic, etc. I drove one and there does seem to be a lot of extra weight in the front end but I guess who cares. I ended up putting a 351 Stroker 535hp and Love it! So easy to work on and it Purrrrrrs on the road. Great sound and is a rocket on take off. Who's keeping track but I now stop at every other gas station as opposed to every one. I ended up with A SPF because it seems to have a better re-sale IMHO. Hope some of the purist aren't throwing eggs at me.

Last edited by JLip; 12-24-2012 at 10:08 PM..
Old 12-25-2012, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Boss Replica Motors BB 460 by New Generation Engines
Not Ranked     

All of this "Who makes the best Cobra?" For Canadians, It is a poor question. Our D.O.T. will not allow either kits, or rollers to be imported into Canada. You can import a used car providing that the car was registered 15 years ago or older. They state that the current AC Cobra kits or rollers do not meet our safety requirements, or Canadian Content Requirements. Just how safe are these units? If, the cars are using 15 year plus U.S. safety requirements? As far as I know, there is only one Canadian Manufacturer that has D.O.T. approval and able to be registered, licienced, and insurered. His rollers are not inexpensive. But they are very good.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

A lot of time has passed since the original post, and lots of advice on which engine to get but I would concur with a stroked Windsor is probably right. SPF/Hillbank will try to sway you to Roush. My experience with Roush fuel injected was less than good, and recent tales of high oil consumption scare me A friend has the carb'd version of the same engine in his SPF GT40 (done by Olthoff - good place to go) and he loves it. That said, there are lots of sources for stroked Windsors, so shop around.

Then you have to decide on the displacement. I always thought the 550HP Roush was a little much for the light weight of the Cobra (and several unplanned compression braking events more than confirmed that in my own mind). Someone mentioned a 392. Might be a little more manageable for street use.

Also recall that these are light cars in the rear with lots of torque and HP and that keeping the tires hooked up can be difficult, especially with colt tires on cold pavement. Both of my compression braking events were simply downshifting to make a left turn. My car had some kind of Goodyear Eagles. Supposedly good track tires after they warm up but not good until they do. I've heard Avons are good but consider getting some old style Goodyear Billboards!!!

On the SPF royalty. I don't think it's a huge amount, and I believe it goes to the Children's Foundation anyway. With the comparatively small number of vehicles produced annually, noone's getting rich from it.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 12-25-2012 at 10:01 AM..
Old 12-26-2012, 08:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SP3033, KC SBF 427
Not Ranked     

Another 2 cents worth:

Since my SPF cobra is not an "original", and never will be, I looked for the timeless beautyy of the car from outside but went for performance/practicality under the skin. If Shelby could have put my engine in his 427's he would have - and maybe won some races. I have an all aluminum 351W based 427 (correct ci, AND lighter than the 289's AND more horsepower than the FE original 427's). My street-only SPF car looks like an original, is quite street drivable, AND has about the same power/weight ratio as the originals - plus a wider power curve - as well as a better weight distribution (54% on the rear). My engine happens to be a Keith Craft (554 hp) which I'm completely happy with. All that said I've heard that the big block sound a bit "better" - don't know, but I do love the sound of my car. Obviously, I'm not just a small block fan but a LIGHT small block fan.

Matt
Old 12-26-2012, 09:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

I have the Roush 427 SR and love it. If I had to do it again, I would look at a BOSS 5.0 or the 5.0 Coyote. I don't know what the difference is between the two engines. I dont think there is much weight difference between a SM and a BB. I would chose what you feel is the "best" for you. Forget resale and originality. The originality ship has sailed. No matter what you chose you are in for a great ride! Have fun!
Old 12-26-2012, 09:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

OK, now I have to say... it is so funny to me that we all think what WE have is the best! I think it is silly to say "Oh, you need a big block engine to be more original". But nothing is said of the improved suspension, MSD ignition, raidial tires, fiberglass body, electric fans, etc. I guess we can agree to disagree.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2743, Roush 427SR
Not Ranked     

My SPF #2743 has a Roush 427SR and I love it.

During installation my install mechanic detected a small oil leak from a pinhole in the block. Roush replaced the engine and covered the shipping and re-install labor. I have had no engine issues in 4000+ miles.

I personally can't imagine having a Cobra that's not a 427!
Old 12-27-2012, 06:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

don't forget a Keith Craft 408 stroker 525 hp.
I put one in Mike Hogde's B&B and he gets 13 miles to the gallon with 3:55 gears and a 5 speed.

Dwight

Tags
ford fe 427so, roush 427sr, superformance