Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Newbie - Engine Question

Let me first start off by saying, I'm a Newbie to this community and I want to thank all of you for your helpful and informative threads about my ultimate dream car the 1965 Shelby Cobra 427.

After researching my dream car for over 7 months, I've decided that I'm going to order and purchase a Superformance MKIII. My big dilemma is, what is the best engine to go with. My desired use for my car is to drive it everyday and on long weekend cruise trips. I plan to have some very limited track use but mostly street driving. I want to have the title registered as 1965 vintage car so I don't have to worry about smog tests etc. All that said, please post your thoughts on the Roush 427SR VS. the Ford FE 427SO. What's the best choice for me? And, can I get both engine types registered in NC as a 1965 vintage car?

Cobra Braggin'
"Cobra Man For Life!!!"
Old 05-27-2012, 01:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Just my opinion, but I would stay away from Roush. They seem to have had a our of the norm number of problems with their engines. You are also paying a premium for the name, and you can get just as good, or not better from other builders.

Then I have one question for you.

Do you want a Big Block or Small Block? Make that decision first and go from there. Either one can be built to suit your needs.

Forgot to mention you have made a fine choice in manufactures. Not that it's better or worse than some others, but it's in the top 3 of quality in my opinion.

Last edited by Silverback51; 05-27-2012 at 01:43 PM..
Old 05-27-2012, 02:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Call Dennis Olthoff, Get your engine from Blykins, B2 motorsports.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

Windsor based engines seem to be the most common choice in Superformance. An FE is a bit strange for that maker.

In my opinion, your return on investment or a least amount of loss on investment would be best with a 351w stroker. The engine will cost quite a bit less than a good FE and more potential buyers.

My advice would be different for cars such as ERA where and FE is the norm.

John
Old 05-27-2012, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 454 S.O.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubby View Post
Windsor based engines seem to be the most common choice in Superformance. An FE is a bit strange for that maker.

In my opinion, your return on investment or a least amount of loss on investment would be best with a 351w stroker. The engine will cost quite a bit less than a good FE and more potential buyers.

My advice would be different for cars such as ERA where and FE is the norm.

John
ERA FE is a must!!! Only a hand full of cars without one.

“If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower.”

Mark Donahue
Old 05-27-2012, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You will find all the folks at Olhoffs to be extremely accomodating. I'm over near Raleigh close to you, still scraping my nickels and dimes together to make a purchase. For some reason my wife told me that the kid's current college tuition comes before the car. Women.

When I went to Olthoffs, I called ahead to determine a better date to be there. One of his mechanics took me for a joyride in an Windsor based (small block) 427 car. Then a customer took me for a ride in his 15 year old Superformance also with a Windsor. Both were about 400HP. Still haven't had the chance to ride/drive a big block.

All I can say is both rides were beathtaking. Olthoffs is out in the country where they have the roads pretty much to themselves. And the 15 year old Superformance, looked like new, and with 90K miles on it if I recall correctly.

They typically have some nice "preowned" Cobras for sale. Also had the new 289 FIA, and a GT40 there. Awesome.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Silverback51 for your comments. I plan to test drive both a BB Cobra and a SB Cobra to really understand what I need so I can make an educated choice. Thanks for the vote of confidence regarding my choice od SPF as my manufacturer. I love what I've researched about the MKIII. Thanks again...

Cobra Braggin'
"Cobra Man For Life!!!"
Old 05-27-2012, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm definately going call Dennis Olthoff and visit their facilty for a test drive. I'm also looking forward to checking out B2 Motorsports. Thanks for the tips!

Cobra Braggin'
"Cobra Man for Life!!!"
Old 05-27-2012, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for your response. Why do you think Windsor 351 strokers seem to be so popular with SPF owners?

Cobra Braggin'
"Cobra Man For Life!!!"
Old 05-27-2012, 07:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey there fellow NC Cobra Lover! Thanks for your comments. I think my wife is cool with me wanting the car but we'll see how she feels when I get ready to really order it. LOL! I've heard so many good things about the Olthoffs. I'm really looking forward to visiting their shop and taking some test drives. I was so glad to find a SPF dealer so close to me. I thought Auto Huas Classics in Yorktown, VA was my best closest option before I discovered Olthoff Racing was right near Charlotte!

I love this CC site. I've done so much research here just reading these threads. It's awesome.... Seems like there are lots of SPF owners with 351 strokers but I still do want to test drive a real FE 427SO. Hopefully at Olthoff all have all my questions answered and my dreams come true....
Old 05-27-2012, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

Cobra Braggin'

SPF owners seem to be less interested in originality and a 427 stroker should give very close to the same HP as an FE. For much less money as well.

The ERA guys and some others want their cars to look original and an FE is a must.

SPF has body lines that don't look original, roll bar brace does not look original, pedals don't look original, and radiator orientation does not look original. So why does the engine need to look original? None of this is bad, it is just different than ERA, Kirkham and some others.

Before anyone jumps in - I know my car is not an original. I wanted one that looked pretty close.

John
Old 05-28-2012, 06:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi John. Thanks for you thoughts. In my research I've discovered that there's a quite a big difference between ERA guys and SPF guys. Both groups feel very strongly about their brands. Not that I'm trying to start a debate on that issue, it's just interesting how both groups think their cars look the most like the original. I made my SPF choice based on these criteria; for the money and factory hand built quality I've seen with SPF MKIII's, it's the right choice for me. No offense intended for ERA owners, just IMHO as a true lover of the 1965 Shelby Cobra 427. I also think it's interesting that SPF is the only offcically licensed Cobra manufacturer by Carroll Shelby himself of thes great classic cars.

That said, once I can really test drive both an FE BB 427SO and a SB Roush 427SR, I believe I'll be able to make a educated choice between FE BB and Roush, Craft, or Windsor SB. Thanks again....

Chris
Old 05-28-2012, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Braggin' View Post
Thanks for your response. Why do you think Windsor 351 strokers seem to be so popular with SPF owners?
Just for starters, they are smaller, lighter blocks, and leave more room in the engine bay to work on it. Not to mention cheaper, and arguably easier to handle from behind the wheel.

Not to digress from SPFs, but since you are right in Greensboro, you might want to check out Whitby Motorcars in G'boro. I am not personally familiar with them, but they are Factory Five builders and seem to enjoy a really good reputation amongst the Factory Five owners in NC. A bunch of them get together in Raleigh once a month and the on-line community is huge. Biggest difference in the acqusition experience is that FFR cars are never shipped as rollers direct from FFR. They are only marketed as a component car. I am thinking however that Whitby's will build one for you. Check them out online. Whitby Motorcars
Old 05-28-2012, 08:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, CHP 427w Streetfignter, Injected Venom.Mass-Flo...550 hp , 550 torq..spec pulley sys..
Not Ranked     

Chris. You are now experiencing the whole replica 'thing'! F5, SPF, ERA, Kirkham, and more. These are all fine cars and they all are somewhat different. I have a F5, built by a professional builder of these cars and paid a lot extra to get it close to the "look"! Everything was new, top quality, and no donar parts. It was worth it as time has proved that. But, in the end, these are all 'replicas', not original. Lance Stander of SPF in Irvine is an acquaintance and also a great guy! He applauded my car regardless of make and appreciated the build! You wont go wrong with any of these. These boys here are good guys and trying to help YOU choose based on need. Keep one thing firmly planted in your head......these are the most fun machines on the planet, but 300, 400,500, whatever.....HP you choose or car you own, they require full attention and awareness of all the poor drivers sharing the road. It will become immediately evident once you take to the street, especially so if a daily D. Just be sure it's loud enough so they know you are around!!!
Oh, and water and Co...s do NOT mix well!
Old 05-28-2012, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Braggin' View Post
I also think it's interesting that SPF is the only offcically licensed Cobra manufacturer by Carroll Shelby himself of thes great classic cars.
Chris
That means absolutely nothing. The only thing that does is give money to the old man, I mean dead man. It does nothing for resale value or desirability.

“If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower.”

Mark Donahue
Old 05-28-2012, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk III / Windsor platform
Not Ranked     

Chris -
Everyones comments and observations so far are pretty much spot on. If you've spent months researching options, you should have a pretty good handle on the +/-'s of the different available replicas. SPF is a great choice for your stated intended use. As others have said, call Dennis Olthoff. He is a straight shooter and will point you in the right direction. One observation, if you really intend a lot of extended cruises, gas mileage can become a real factor. I bought SPF1061 new from Dennis 11 years ago. I've logged 63,000 miles. I started out with a 392 Ford Motorsports stroker. "Good" performance. 22mpg is a pretty big deal if you are going to do a lot of long range highway cruising. This was a mild mannered, well behaved motor with a little more oomph than a stock 351. I continually had Dennis make performance mods trying to get a bit more out of it until I grenaded it (36,000 miles) racing at Carolina Motorsports Park. Dennis replaced it with a Roush 427R. BIG performance leap. Lot's more fun to track and drive for short blips. Much less fun as a highway cruiser. 10mpg makes long trips expensive. It is also on the ragged edge running 93 octane. It is much happier when I mix a few gallons of 110 octane into every tank.
Ozzir likes this.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

Is it not because the kit manufacturer, would recomend an engine that would likely be the
the most reliable and easy to service , to help maintain the manufacturers reputation.Fe,s seem to be a lot more problomatic than the windsor, not to mention all the performance options available for the Windsor.........just my 2cents:..........
P
Old 05-28-2012, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk III / Windsor platform
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Frigo View Post
That means absolutely nothing. The only thing that does is give money to the old man, I mean dead man. It does nothing for resale value or desirability.
I own an SPF and I totally agree with Jeff. The licensing deal was purely a way to settle an endless lawsuit in a manner that would hopefully give Superformance a marketing advantage. Shelby would have cut that deal with Street Beasts if he had been offered enough money. On the other hand, the licensing deal does nothing to detract from the fact that Superformance builds an excellent quality roller.

Last edited by SPF1061; 05-30-2012 at 07:41 PM..
Old 05-28-2012, 08:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPF1061 View Post
I own an SPF and I totally agree with Jeff. The licensing deal was purely a way to settle an endless lawsuit in a manner that would hopefully give Superformance a marketing advantage. Shelby would have cut that deal with Street Beasts he had been offered him enough money. On the other hand, the licensing deal does nothing to detract from the fact that Superformance builds a excellent quality roller.
Agreed, great roller, many used ones to choose from at good prices. I would never by a new one although.
macloft likes this.

Mark Donahue
Old 05-28-2012, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPF1061 View Post
Chris -
It is also on the ragged edge running 93 octane. It is much happier when I mix a few gallons of 110 octane into every tank.
Cobra Braggin'- Just FYI, there's a 100 octane pump close to my house if you ever come to the Raleigh get togethers.

Tags
ford fe 427so, roush 427sr, superformance