Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 01:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default First real outing - few questions

Hi guys,

living in Germany and being the proud owner of SPF#1385 (460 / TKO), I took my blue/white baby for a nice spin yesterday. Fortunately, we had hardly any snow in Bavaria this year and no salt on the streets anymore.

I am trying to do as much research as possible on my Cobra, but the information sources are somewhat limited here. Therefore, many thanks to this forum.

- how high can/should I rev the 460 SVO cobrajet engine while doing a sporty acceleration run ?

- which diff did SPF build in 1998/1999 and to what percentage is it locking. Is it still the ZF 3.45:1 ?

- How do you start a cold engine? I dont find a choke (I feel like a dummy for this question)

- our highest octance gas is 98 with 10% bio-ethanol. Do I need to use additives ?

- under light breaking, I feel a light chatter from the front. Is that normal with the wilwood brakes/rotors. Are there any better pads ?

- the TKO tranni is rated with 375 torque, but the 460 has quite a bit more. Why is that, should I upgrade ?

Sorry for the long list, but a few things raise some questions and I dont want to mess anything up since I saved almost 10 years for this baby,

Thanks in advance

Jürgen W.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I can guess at a couple.
1) Most dont have chokes. I find they dont work all that well anyways. Just fire it up and feather the throttle until it warms up. My previous chokes would stick etc.
2) As far as braking no vibration should be felt. Probably as simple as turning the front brake rotors. A local shop should be able to easily knock it out.
3) Your 460 has more torque but you are in a 2500 lb car not a 4000 lb sedan/truck. Your rear tires probably brake loose at 300 ft-lbs. No need to worry about the transmission. Heck if you are wanting to replace run this one till failure.
4) No additives as far as gas in my opinion, somebody else will chime in.

Join SCOF as it has some true Superformance experts and in incredible tech library. Your questions will be answered in minutes.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

I would concur with Madmax regarding the choke. Mine does not have one and I can start the car in 0 Celsius (30 degrees Fahrenheit) weather; just pump the gas twice before starting it and then feather the gas until it is warm. I have an electric choke available to hook up to mine, but I am waiting to see if I really need it. Based upon your car number it probably has the 8.8 IRS with limited slip and a 3.73 to 1 ratio.

You should get a SCOF membership and contact Mike Stenhouse at Second Strike (Second Strike - the Superformance Owners Group) to order a manual. They have a wealth of information.

98 octane is more than most of us here in the states have at our disposal and should be fine.

Sounds like you have one hell of a car, enjoy it.

Jim
Old 02-25-2014, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 434 cid
Not Ranked     

Keep in mind, Europe is RON and US is (RON+MON)/2

98 RON is close to 93 US
Old 02-25-2014, 08:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Assuming you have a street car build, 5500 rpm is close to your redline. Shift at 4500-5000 and you'll be rockin and Rollin.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

Back in the 1300s chassis that should be a ford diff with a 3.55 rear gear.
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 02-25-2014, 10:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

For a vehicle of that age it would be well advised to keep an eye on the rubber fuel lines. The 10% Alcohol will attack all but the best rubber fuel lines, and to replace the accelerator pump diaphrams (Holley carbs) with those designed for Alcohol fuel in a racing enviroment(generally green colored rubber).

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 02-26-2014, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

A properly set choke should make starting a lot nicer. Need it? I have 48 Ida's. What's a choke?
Old 02-26-2014, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Try not to use E10.

The car should start without choke. Just pump once before you start, and twice or three times while you start (not more before, the fuel may clog up inside the intake and cause backfire). Once running, let it idle at 1.500rpm+ for a bit (your neighbours will hate you...)

Close the intake scoop on your hood for winter, if you have one.

Be careful with the throttle. Cold tires in winter on cold roads will cause them to loose traction even in last gear at half throttle going 100kph...
Old 03-10-2014, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks to you all for your useful replies.

I feel really bad for not having responded sooner. I thought, I get an email once somebody replies to my topic. No email - and hence I assumed nobody likes me ;-( huhu

Many thanks again.

OK - the cold start works pretty good in the meanwhile. Fuel pump on - pump the throttel once and with no throttle turn the key and start feathering.

On the diff, I am not sure yet. 5th gear: 2000rpm=60mph 4 gear: 1000rpm = 20 mph meaning 3000rpm=60 4000rpm=80 5000rpm=100

Fact is, the 4th and 5th gear are universes apart - kinda strange.

Right now - I am fueling ARAL 102 oktane unleaded, she runs quite well on this stuff. I hope, I dont hurt any of the valves or other components.

The front end is still my problem area. She feels woobly, bouncy, loose - almost like some bushings are worn out but as soon as I turn in hard or break hard she stiffens up.

Tire pressure is at 19psi. I guess, I will buy new Avon race tires and have the rotors turned. Alternatively - where and how do I get new Wilwood rotors for 15inch wheels on a SPF.

Last weekend was a great sunny almost spring day. What a great drive with my girl friend and baby with 4 wheels. And it's cool when you fill up your car, come back out from the gas station and 4 people stand around the Cobra taking pics.

The engine feels good and strong, if the damn spf car carpet didnt slide underneath the throttle (ah - another 100HP).

And yes - the neighbors really appreciate the warm-up procedure hmmm.

Laters guys and keep the shiny side up.

Jürgen