Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-30-2014, 09:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1867 , KC427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
I feel BDR is stunting the Superformance market. You can get a new BDR for less than most used SPF's. In the end the cars are not the same. Superformances are built with suspension components specifically built for Superformance, body lines tighter, paint cleaner, dash layout period correct, heater is super nice in fall or cool nights, 90" wheelbase. One item BDR out does SPF is their stainless steel side pipes vs SPF carbon steel. Look at the front of a BDR hood scoop compared to a SPF. Each one is priced right but most like to spend less for a similar experience. I imagine there will be a plethora of BDR in the 30's in a couple years, good for the buyer but bad for the seller. Ofcourse if this is a one off dream car purchase who cares if you loose 20k but than again if its a one off get as close as you can to the original and get spf.
I think I have read where you have owned both so I have to take it you are more informed than myself. The only question I have in regards to the BDR cars is do you think the more current cars have improved upon the quality and design? I got a call from a BDR owner that has purchased 2 cars from Vintage Motorsports. He said Vintage was top notch to deal with but that his first car was 2009 and his latest a 2014..........his opinion was that the 2014 was vastly improved upon in respect to the overall finish and quality. I'm not very knowledgeable about the value of these cars but I guess if the majority of Superformance guys are 60+ years in age and are into the "as close to original and shelby endorsement" as they are today then the Superformance value will continue to hold. Personally I'm a Superformance fan as of now but I wouldn't mind another option if it was close in build and finish quality. Then again spending 45K for a car that rattled over bumps and had flaws would have me wishing I had spend 55k and gotten what I wanted.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjrgary View Post
i have always thought that superformance and e r a were close as far as quality and pricing, how ever lately used supers are quite a bit more than the used e r a. thoughts anyone?????
I have noticed this as well. The ERA guys say how much better their car is than a SPF but look at the price and ask yourself why. For me the fact all SPF were factory assembled rollers and the availability made the difference. I would value a factory ERA higher than a privately assembled ERA. They are both great Cobras but the Cobra want-a-bees are willing to pay more on average for a SPF.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 744/428/TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Funny, I've noticed all kinds of SPF's for sale in the low 40's. In fact one just sold for 40K on Ebay, but I haven't seen any ERA's with comparable drive trains for sale for under 50K. But then again I own 2 ERA's, so I guess we know which way I lean.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

BDR have improved VASTLY as they have built more!!!!!!!! As far as SPF from 1800 on very minor changes, but they weren't needed, the car is as solid as a dump truck. I agree the difference between a 2009 BDR and 2014 BDR should be noticeable, the difference between a 2005 and 2014 would be huge. Heck the 2005 had slip fit side pipes. the difference between a 2005 spf and 2014 is minimal IMHO.

Bottom line is the Cobra market is probably getting close to saturation. Sure you find a true stud like me (lol) buying them in my 30's and 40's but the majority of owners are
60 plus years if not 65. Everybody regardless of age still loves them but most don't have the drive to own one.

BDR does a great job with offering custom builds, mod motors, coupe tops? but is it BDR or Vintage. If I were to buy a new BDR hands down it would be Vintage. I think their service after the sale would be exceptional, not that you should need it but from my experience there is a lot of sorting with these things which mystifies me since you buy a new GM or Ford which is exponentially more complicated and you don't have issues for the first 100k miles or oil leaks......

If you are buying and attempting to cut looses or break even buy used. BDR I would guess anything above chassis 800? not an expert anymore on BDR. SPF anything above 1800 or even 1000 and do the bolt on upgrades yourself.

If you can dip your toe in the water for $35K on a BDR no brainer if its clean. Drive if you like it and want a SPF or ERA you tested the waters. If I were spending 50K plus I would look hard at a used SPF for the most part it isn't going to depreciate any further. Sure there is always the chassis 250 with a bare 351 in for 40???? but if I were spending $50K-60K on a used SPF it would have a 427 be it stroked or FE and be done with it. Remember in the end regardless of what you buy it takes up the same space in your garage, you have insurance and registration, fixed cost are the same.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

I think it is amazing how prejudiced we are about our own Cobras! "The one I got is the best!" Make you wonder what the real truth is in life with a Cobra!!! The are all great Cobras!
Old 05-02-2014, 05:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Is Rolex the best watch??? No, it is a great watch but not the best, but they do the best in advertising. They are readily available in any store and everyone recognizes them. I think ERA likes the size of their business and maintains status quo. Superformance advertises goes to trade shows etc. Familiarity has value. It is easier to sell a SPF than an ERA. Dealer network, all over the internet, a fantastic replica, consistency. Believe it or not most guys don't take 2-4 years to find the car they like, they want to buy and drive and move on. Those guys need a SPF as they know the quality and dealer network is there, Oh and not that it matters, they only go up in value for the most part.

1) SPF - Built like a brick sheet house, best dash layout on market, best interior, very clean and concise engine bay, built like a brick sheet house, I have seen 30 over the years around Houston.

2) ERA - never seen one but heard they are good...................

3) BDR - Worth every penny. Tell me one other factory assembled Cobra Replica you can pick up in the high 30's or 40's all day long. They are a great value and if someone is going to drive down the freeway and not care about rock chips, or stuck in the rain how can you go wrong I would feel better about driving a 40K car through the rain than a 60K. As my net worth changes this may change as well but for now I still drive on Sunday mornings since my car is to nice. That being said, I run the living sheet out of it on Sunday mornings because it is bullet proof as far as drivetrain and suspension.

In the end I am married to SPF as I know them inside and out. I am sure many are married to BDR.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: superformance 1022
Not Ranked     

Even though I own a SPF I am convinced that ERA makes the best "kit car". I have transported several of them and the inspection I gave them prior to loading showed me a solid, well engineered car with great attention to detail. Factory Five is good but not in the same class although I have heard good things about their series IV cars. The SPF I bought had almost everything I wanted. It's a matter of personal choice. Like the other guy said they are all great Cobras. Tom
Old 05-02-2014, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1309 www.spfowners.freeforums.net
Not Ranked     

My opinion only but ERA makes both Kits and turnkey cars where SPF only does rollers. It makes me think that the production quality of the SPF is better overall.

http://spfowners.freeforums.net/
Old 05-04-2014, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2144 with a Roush 342R (sold June 2018, but still lurking on Club Cobra)
Not Ranked     

hercf16,

I sent you a private message.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 575 with Shelby Aluminum 427 Stroked to 468
Not Ranked     
Default spf updates

i've been absent from this forum for a long time since selling my contemporary about 15 months ago. I acquired a SPF car last week. This is my 3rd spf car (#1005, #1118 and now #205). The prices of SPF cars has gone up markedly in the last 2-3 years. In fact my SPF #1118 was sold for 41k in 2004. It was an olthoff car with the RDI 392 stroker. It was pristine. That same car 10 years later is 50-60k. The logic for the price appreciation, at least in my mind, is a function of 2 things: the price of a new turn key minus has gone way up. Back in 2004, it was $37,900. Today, i'm not sure how much it is, but my guess is it's way up. Also, look at the cost of a Coast High Performance stroker at $22k - there is massive inflation driving the component prices higher. The second factor is that there is once again cheap money coming into the classic car market. This is creating many more buyers than there are sellers. Combine these 2 or 3 factors:
1. replacement cost new is way up
2. general inflation is driving all component prices higher
3. cheap money is here again

And voila, SPF cars are getting very pricey.

I suspect that when the sub prime auto loan bubble bursts, we'll see demand fall and prices fall back, but then again, this is not an investment - it's a hobby and a dream for many of us to own one of these bad-ass vehicles.
PNJSNAK likes this.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:48 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankym View Post
And voila, SPF cars are getting very pricey.
Yet there are also SPF's which languish on the market for months in the 38K-48K range.....So not all buyers are willing to pay CA based, 72K retail on a used SPF

Bill S.

PS: Welcome back and congratulations on the new toy.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 12-02-2014, 01:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Yet there are also SPF's which languish on the market for months in the 38K-48K range.....So not all buyers are willing to pay CA based, 72K retail on a used SPF

Bill S.

PS: Welcome back and congratulations on the new toy.
Yea I suppose there are a few, but the only ones in that range I've seen are typically riddled with bad taste issues, high mileage, early builds, poor wear and tear or all of the above. For better or for worse, I agree that the used SPF market is very strong right now. Prices are much higher than they were several years ago for the same cars.
motordean likes this.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Well, the used Cobra market isn't the air-cooled Porsche Turbo market by any stretch, that's for sure.

I'm sure the appreciation has found its way to other Cobra manufacturers as well. Not just SPF. The basic roller prices for CSX and Kirkham have risen significantly over the years that I've been on this forum.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 744/428/TKO 600
Not Ranked     

I remember about 10 years ago, Keith Martin wrote in the sports car market magazine that an 80's Porsche 911 turbo engine was basically a hand grenade waiting to detonate. It seems like his opinion has changed since the increase in market value. I owned one at the time and thought, he's an idiot.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:47 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Well, the used Cobra market isn't the air-cooled Porsche Turbo market by any stretch, that's for sure.

I'm sure the appreciation has found its way to other Cobra manufacturers as well. Not just SPF. The basic roller prices for CSX and Kirkham have risen significantly over the years that I've been on this forum.
I haven't seen either of those go down one cent. Only up.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance with Roush 427 R
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post
Yea I suppose there are a few, but the only ones in that range I've seen are typically riddled with bad taste issues, high mileage, early builds, poor wear and tear or all of the above. For better or for worse, I agree that the used SPF market is very strong right now. Prices are much higher than they were several years ago for the same cars.
100% agree
Old 12-03-2014, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Neutral     

Quote:
Once a titled SPF has left the continental US borders, it cannot be imported back. Same goes for a titled US SPF being imported to Canada........That, unfortunately for you, is the bottom line.
I can't speak to importing a Canadian car into the US, but you can import a titled US SPF into Canada - as long as it's a minimum of 15 years old, and you have the documentation to prove it. After that you get to do the happy dance with your provincial safety inspection, jump through a few flaming hoops and perform a few unnatural acts and you're good to go. At least that was my experience - YMMV.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:18 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
I can't speak to importing a Canadian car into the US, but you can import a titled US SPF into Canada - as long as it's a minimum of 15 years old, and you have the documentation to prove it. After that you get to do the happy dance with your provincial safety inspection, jump through a few flaming hoops and perform a few unnatural acts and you're good to go. At least that was my experience - YMMV.
True dat! A "non-conforming" car even if registered in the US for years, cannot be re-imported. Ask me how I know.........................

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 12-03-2014, 05:46 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
True dat! A "non-conforming" car even if registered in the US for years, cannot be re-imported. Ask me how I know.........................
Yours is exactly the car I had in mind when I made my post.

Although, if you completely tore it down and shipped it back strictly in bare component form, you would be able to physically get it back over the border legally.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS

Last edited by mrmustang; 12-03-2014 at 05:50 PM..
Old 12-04-2014, 02:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yours is exactly the car I had in mind when I made my post.

Although, if you completely tore it down and shipped it back strictly in bare component form, you would be able to physically get it back over the border legally.

Bill S.
Now why didn't I think of that With all of the crap that we wade through in life, there is always some good attached to it, like meeting new people and making new friends, like Rick and Bill

For all of those thinking of it, do not try to import a titled replica into the US, no matter where it has been before...

Last edited by 1795; 12-04-2014 at 02:04 AM.. Reason: forgot something