Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2015, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What about pre Superformance Cobras from Hi-Tech factory in south Africa .
Have been offered a 1995 model with 351 ford & Tremec 5 speed .
Are these older versions OK ?
Old 03-28-2015, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by KERRY GREIG View Post
What about pre Superformance Cobras from Hi-Tech factory in south Africa .
Have been offered a 1995 model with 351 ford & Tremec 5 speed .
Are these older versions OK ?
Haven't heard much about Pre-Superformance from the High Tech plant in SA, but I'm wondering if you are talking about the High Tech Cobras made here in the USA by Tim Gunn and his partner? (Can't remember the partner's name). If it is the US Hi Tech, they are very well built cars from most accounts I've heard and very close to an original chassis and body but not identical.

Bob
Old 03-28-2015, 03:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The Cobra offered is of south Africa origin .
Just wondering if much has changed over the years regarding Chassis , Suspension , etc .??
Old 03-28-2015, 05:16 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
The Cobra offered is of south Africa origin .
Just wondering if much has changed over the years regarding Chassis , Suspension , etc .??
Yes, everything has changed and the Cobra you have is nothing like the Superformance Cobra of today.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 03-28-2015, 05:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Bill
Thanks , I don't own a Cobra as yet , but have been offered a 1965 Hi Tech, & wondering if anyone knows much about these regarding build quality suspension , chassis etc .
regards
Kerry
Old 03-29-2015, 02:55 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hi Bill
Thanks , I don't own a Cobra as yet , but have been offered a 1965 Hi Tech, & wondering if anyone knows much about these regarding build quality suspension , chassis etc .
regards
Kerry
You need to be far more specific with your request.

Exactly what are you being offered?
Pictures of the car.
Pictures of the chassis and suspension.
Documentation of what you are being offered.
Details (specific) of the build.
Etc

Without the above, calling anything a "1965 HiTech" means absolutely nothing, as the seller may not know what he has either, and is pulling things from the web and using it to describe his/her car. We see this mislabeling quite a bit here.

So with that said, what type of documentation does the car have with it?
Original build paperwork and receipts?
Copy of original MSO?
Etc?

Once you respond accordingly, we can then assist you with a quantified response of our own as to the quality and original origin of your car.

Bill S.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech 427 Comp by Craig Coombe
Not Ranked     

There are two Cobra manufacturers named Hi-Tech. The one in So. Africa that builds cars for Superformance, Shelby American, and AC...and the one that used to be in Arizona and built very accurate Cobra replicas as well.

Neither built cars in 1965, so the seller is saying he has a replica of a 1965 Cobra built by Hi-Tech.

Both companies do/did great work...I'm privileged to own one of each, but a good or bad buy depends on the specific build and condition.

If you can post pics, we'll try to help identify the car.

Bill
Old 03-29-2015, 05:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There are two Cobra manufacturers named Hi-Tech. The one in So. Africa that builds cars for Superformance, Shelby American, and AC...and the one that used to be in Arizona and built very accurate Cobra replicas as well.

Neither built cars in 1965, so the seller is saying he has a replica of a 1965 Cobra built by Hi-Tech.

Both companies do/did great work...I'm privileged to own one of each, but a good or bad buy depends on the specific build and condition.

If you can post pics, we'll try to help identify the car.

Bill
Old 03-29-2015, 12:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Bill & Bill
Will try & obtain more details of car .
Car is advertised as 1965 AC Cobra But Actually built 1995 by Hi Tech South Africa .
Sorry for the confusion .
Kerry
Old 03-30-2015, 04:35 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks Bill & Bill
Will try & obtain more details of car .
Car is advertised as 1965 AC Cobra But Actually built 1995 by Hi Tech South Africa .
Sorry for the confusion .
Kerry
Kerry,

Do not the sellers description as a "1995 by Hi Tech South Africa" as fact,without documentation, it could mean nothing more than he took a description of a similar looking car off the web and tweaked it for his own use.

Read THIS and THIS to get a general idea of what the timelines were. Keep in mind both of these articles are written to show Superformance history in to the best light (so to speak), so actual times and facts may be a bit "off". Having conversed early on with Mr Price after he or someone associated with him made a post about his idea of bringing a new cobra kit in to the US (on a Mustang news group no less back in the day), I'm thinking it was in the 1997 or 1998 time frame, and not 1995 as your seller alludes to.

My suggestion is to gather the details, all of them, then start a new thread of your own, so we can assist you with your potential purchase.

Sincerely,

Bill S.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bill, I'm not sure I understand your 1997-1998 dates.

My COB023 (prototype #23) was imported to the USA as a Hi-Tech in 1992. Production started with car #32 shortly after, and those cars had the Superformance name. As far as I know, the only Hi-Tech branded Cobras were the 23 prototypes produced (numbers 03-26.) Eight of those are known to still be around...mine being the only one in the USA.

Although Hi-Tech also produced cars for Shelby, I don't think that was until 2005 when the suit was settled, so a Cobra produced by Hi-Tech So. Africa in 1995 should be labeled a Superformance.

Kerry, maybe you could get a pic of the VIN plate on the firewall?

Starting a new thread for your car seems a good idea.

Bill H.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: