Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2014, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Superman t-shirt shrunk and he can't wear it anymore.
Hey Christmas dinner hasn't been kind to a lot of people.
Hmmm... Turkey, candy, chocolate, and bc it's summer here.... Ice cream! Yummy.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft RT3 #1133, Ford Racing 306
Not Ranked     

Back to drive train installation. OK, perhaps it is a straightforward procedure in most cases, but I have to believe that there are surprises and issues in many other cases. It seems to me that unless the installation is done 'professionally' even by 'non-professionals', that the car will require more maintenance until things are sorted out. The other aspect of engine installation is the look of the engine bay. I chose to get my car finished at Vintage because of Brian's expertise in dressing the engine installation. In fact, my pride of ownership is probably greater in looking under the hood of the car than looking at the car itself. I go out to the garage everyday to look at and sit in my Backdraft as it is such a beautifully executed assemblage of machinery.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Speaking on behalf of the certifiably nutty crowd, as Bernica alludes to, $10K will buy you "concierge level" detail and service. I paid a local shop in the SF Bay Area (though an hour+ away from home) to install my engine and tranny, plus detail the engine compartment (and other parts of the car) with authenticity in mind. What I didn't get are a whole host of issues, one example being the misalignment of the bellhousing and trans. You're paying an expert with 25+ years of Cobra-specific experience and knowledge.
I didn't have any of this issues either and I installed the drivetrain myself. Yes, you need to be careful and you may make some mistakes, but you can do it if you are patient and will be rewarded. It's not rocket science.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
I didn't have any of this issues either and I installed the drivetrain myself. Yes, you need to be careful and you may make some mistakes, but you can do it if you are patient and will be rewarded. It's not rocket science.
Then I'd say that you're both extremely skilled and lucky. This site is at least partially-based on installation issues, sorting or otherwise. I'm not picking on him at all because DanEC can without any doubt run circles around me in terms of technical abilities/skill, but as just one example, he has had at least a few issues with his ERA.

I chose to write a check. The shop that I had finish my Kirkham back in 2008 is like the Olthoff of the West Coast and then later I had Steve Wood of Panavia add a few tweaks here and there a couple years ago. Other than a faulty starter switch, "knock on wood", all has been perfect.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
Hey Christmas dinner hasn't been kind to a lot of people.
Hmmm... Turkey, candy, chocolate, and bc it's summer here.... Ice cream! Yummy.
Well, then, put on that Superman shirt and go for a run.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Then I'd say that you're both extremely skilled and lucky. This site is at least partially-based on installation issues, sorting or otherwise. I'm not picking on him at all because DanEC can without any doubt run circles around me in terms of technical abilities/skill, but as just one example, he has had at least a few issues with his ERA.

I chose to write a check. The shop that I had finish my Kirkham back in 2008 is like the Olthoff of the West Coast and then later I had Steve Wood of Panavia add a few tweaks here and there a couple years ago. Other than a faulty starter switch, "knock on wood", all has been perfect.
It depends what your skill level and goals are. I am somewhat skilled, but not extremely skilled nor experienced. But my goal, like many here, is to become more skilled and more experienced. I think I'm accomplishing that. Sure, I've had some issues along the way, but it's not like I'm buying a new car from a dealer. I like to wrench and figure things out myself, and drive, and others prefer to drive and will write a check to do it.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
i like to wrench and figure things out myself, and drive, and others prefer to drive and do better things (in their view) with their free time and will write a check to do it.
fify.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     
Default What actually needs to be done?

1.) Assemble the clutch and bell housing. Making sure the bell housing is aligned with the crank. (You might be able to get the engine builder to do this.)

2.) Remove what you can from the engine bay to make the install easier.

3.) Tie back wires and hoses.

4.) Make sure the engine mounts and transmount / crossmember are correct.

5.) Get a lift and tiller.

6.) Slide the whole thing in.

7.) Depending on the mounts make sure it is all level.

8.) Hook up clutch, adjust.

9.) Hook up starter

10.) Run fuel lines and filter.

11.) Attach speedo cable/electronics.

12.) Ground strap to the engine.

13.) Install battery

14.) Mount ignition module.

15.) All of the of course assumes you take your times and make it all neat.

16.) Have a drive shaft made or are they pre made depending in trans choice?

That is off the top of my head. What else is there?

I have a roll on lift which will make parts of this easier. I can get a jack that travels along rails on the lift so you can lift the wheels up while on the lift.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:24 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Have a fire extinguisher or two on hand.
First aid kit with band aids
A voltage multimeter
Old 12-28-2014, 11:16 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
Have a fire extinguisher or two on hand.
First aid kit with band aids
A voltage multimeter
And plenty of old quilts and blankets. The older and softer the better.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Put one layer of soft terry towels or fender protectors, and then several HF moving blankets at $4.99 per.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:34 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

This is a handy thing to have. I think I got it from Finishline. Made to fit

Old 12-28-2014, 11:47 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

If you contact me I can forward the Superformance Install Manual and a list of needed parts. A read through this will answer your questions on procedure and degree of difficulty. We also have some "tips" that our installers and customers have come across over the years that we can provide.

No special tools are needed, but some can help, i.e. a set for installing Airquip type hose ends will save time and reduce the stainless steel finger punctures so common when working with this material.

Theoretically you can do an complete build out in eight hours.....in the real world not so much. Figure 20-24 hours not counting hardware store trips, beer breaks, etc. If you have EVERYTHING you need sitting next to the chassis it goes fast but in our experience this NEVER happens! You will lose a nut, need a fitting that the engine supplier did not provide, etc. so plan on some trips for parts. And then you need to have the alignment set unless you are equipped to do this.

Again, call or email for this documentation.

Rick

We can supply a fitted install blanket for use to our customers for installs, so far it has been used many times!

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 12-28-2014, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
If you contact me I can forward the Superformance Install Manual and a list of needed parts. A read through this will answer your questions on procedure and degree of difficulty. We also have some "tips" that our installers and customers have come across over the years that we can provide.

No special tools are needed, but some can help, i.e. a set for installing Airquip type hose ends will save time and reduce the stainless steel finger punctures so common when working with this material.

Theoretically you can do an complete build out in eight hours.....in the real world not so much. Figure 20-24 hours not counting hardware store trips, beer breaks, etc. If you have EVERYTHING you need sitting next to the chassis it goes fast but in our experience this NEVER happens! You will lose a nut, need a fitting that the engine supplier did not provide, etc. so plan on some trips for parts. And then you need to have the alignment set unless you are equipped to do this.

Again, call or email for this documentation.

Rick

We can supply a fitted install blanket for use to our customers for installs, so far it has been used many times!
Rick I got the manual, thanks it cleared up the known. There is some work there but nothing very difficult. I could see it could be done in 8 hours but I think I would take my time running all the wires and hoses.

Honestly with a car like this installing the drivetrain will give you the knowledge needed to maintain it in the future.

Truthfully I hope to find a newer used FE big block. If it becomes a passion I can sell it and build the car exactly how I want it having the knowledge to do it right.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SP3033, KC SBF 427
Not Ranked     

I installed the engine/tranny/drive shaft myself in my SPF Mark3. Really took my time (100 hours?) planning, measuring everything, installing the flywheel, clutch, bell and tranny, front pulleys/alternator, starter motor, etc. Like Patrick said - you need to know about the details to prevent problems (e.g., I had to re-do the assembly when I learned about potential tranny/crank misalignment - it needed to be aligned with offset pins). Time included cleaning up the bay to my liking, installing a 6A2 box, etc. When it was time to drop the engine/tranny assembly in my wife and I did it in 45 minutes. No sweat. Then tied everything up, got a drive shaft custom made and it was done. No car lift. Just a borrowed engine stand and engine lift. One thing I needed help with was getting the drive shaft angles correct - took it to Voss Performance to get it adjusted properly. By the way - the closest to doing anything like this before was to replace a clutch about 40 years ago (that's why it took me so long, I guess).