Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2015, 01:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     

I stumbled across this:

New Page 1

That's the way to do it.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Bill View Post
My son and I are going to visit Barry Rabotnick at Survival Motorsports tomorrow. That should be fun and interesting. It is about an hour away from home so not a big deal. Still planning a 482 FE but suddenly allowing the possibility of a 460 big block. More power for near half the price?

Not original but tons of reliable power "cheap". This is a way to knock several thousand off the car. Current thoughts are go with the FE.
If you live THAT close to survival... You SHOULD spend your money there...
You have NO reason in my mind to go anywhere else.

Barry could build you a 390 FE stroked to 445 cubes could easily Meet your hp desires which would save you those up front costs that your seemingly after.

That way you could have the best compromise fulfilling all your desires, with scope of having Barry later "upgrade" you to a 482 by using an aluminium pond block and building a short block using most the same parts you used from the 390

Cheap FE, cheap power, authentic looks, and scope for upgrade to what your heart seemingly really desires - a 482 in all aluminium!!!

That would be my play, if I were in your shoes.

Good luck and enjoy.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
That way you could have the best compromise fulfilling all your desires, with scope of having Barry later "upgrade" you to a 482 by using an aluminium pond block and building a short block using most the same parts you used from the 390

Cheap FE, cheap power, authentic looks, and scope for upgrade to what your heart seemingly really desires - a 482 in all aluminium!!!
I'm not an engine builder, but I'd check on this first. I don't think much of anything can be used when you upgrade from the 390/428 (faux FE) architecture to a Pond 427/482 (sideoiler). At the very least, the rings, pistons, heads/valves, rockers, cam, intake and carb would have to be changed. However, everyone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Bill View Post
I stumbled across this:

New Page 1

That's the way to do it.
Perhaps, but it's not just my air cleaner that's tilted, it's the carb as well. Maybe it's just me, but it seems to make more sense to have the front of the carb tilted 2° down, rather than 3° up - even if the engine is tilted nearly 5° up. I'll be pulling the 1/2" phenolic spacer and replacing it with the 5° wedge spacer.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I'm not an engine builder, but I'd check on this first. I don't think much of anything can be used when you upgrade from the 390/428 (faux FE) architecture to a Pond 427/482 (sideoiler). At the very least, the rings, pistons, heads/valves, rockers, cam, intake and carb would have to be changed. However, everyone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Unless I'm mistaken Barry has a set of heads that fit both 390 and 427 bore sizing, so valvez and valve train would be mostly ok.

Crank & rods could be recycled. As could intake, ignition & distributor, other miscellaneous parts like alternator, pulleys, Oil, water & fuel pumps lines pans... etc... All reusable Id have thought. No?
One could spec a carb that would accommodate both (with jetting changes), like a QF 700 or similar.

Pistons and rings, would need changing.

Brent and Barry would certainly know.

But seemingly an upfront saving of about $5k block.

Last edited by Dimis; 01-16-2015 at 02:40 PM..
Old 01-16-2015, 02:41 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
But he doesn't care about an FE block, and he says he's never going to sell the car. So why should he put in an FE just to make us all happy?
Old 01-16-2015, 02:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Unless I'm mistaken Barry has a set of heads that fit both 390 and 427 bore sizing. Crank & rods could be recycled. As could intake, ignition & distributor, other miscellaneous parts like alternator, pulleys, Oil, water & fuel pumps lines pans... etc... All reusable Id have thought. No?
One could spec a carb that would accommodate both (with jetting changes), like a QF 700 or similar.

Pistons and rings, I defer to the pros...

You would use the same carb, heads, intake, cranks & rods from a 390 on a 482 build? First and foremost that's an additional 92 cubic inches and second I don't think alot of those parts even fit on both engines.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
But he doesn't care about an FE block, and he says he's never going to sell the car. So why should he put in an FE just to make us all happy?
He wants an FE, whether he knows it or Not

Quote:
You would use the same carb, heads, intake, cranks & rods from a 390 on a 482 build? First and foremost that's an additional 92 cubic inches and second I don't think alot of those parts even fit on both engines.
A SCAT rotating assembly is a SCAT rotating assembly.
And humbly if I may, your maths on cubic inches is out
445 vs 482 - I got me a mere 37 cubes.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:50 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I tried to tell him that... but all he did was get snippy....
Old 01-16-2015, 02:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

A SCAT rotating assembly is a SCAT rotating assembly.
And humbly if I may, your maths on cubic inches is out
445 vs 482 - I got me a mere 37 cubes.
I've actually lost track of what Detroit Bill is thinking about, but if it's the same FE stroke, probably those parts could be reused, but a Pond aluminum side-oiler block is different than a production 390 block.

To me, a 445 is a throwaway engine. I mean, really, why bother with that POS. I'd just get the Pond 482 to start.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Well, if he really never wants to sell his car, then he should also have it painted beige.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:00 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Well, if he really never wants to sell his car, then he should also have it painted beige.
Well you're obviously quite full of yourself today.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
This is the same guy who changed his air cleaner element to a K&N and can feel the "seat of the pants" difference? Oy vey.
"Touche" - you're on a roll to day. Or Patrick isn't covering up enough in this sparring match.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

If you're trying to find a compromise between hp and money, you can use a factory 390 or 428 block, stroke it, and save anywhere from $3500 to $4500 right off the bat. You can still have the cubic inches and a wad of horsepower.
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
If you're trying to find a compromise between hp and money, you can use a factory 390 or 428 block, stroke it, and save anywhere from $3500 to $4500 right off the bat. You can still have the cubic inches and a wad of horsepower.
Hey Brent,

FWIW can you set RK and myself straight.

What parts won't be salvigable for a subsequent upgrade to a 482 "IF" one was to decide to make that jump after running their 445 stoker for a little while.

Thx
Old 01-17-2015, 03:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Everything would swap over except for pistons and rings. Consumables would be needed of course...bearings, seals, gaskets.

If there was a big jump in displacement, the cam would probably need to be changed.
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:08 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I prefer the original-like setup. The Bernica/Mickmate setup keeps the original-like appearance but with a dropped base to fit a larger element. That works for me, but what I do and where I go, I'd never notice the difference using the Bernica/Mickmate setup and it's pricey. I can afford it, but see no need for it.

As for belly-reducing machines, I'd invest my coin into a fitness magazine that is geared towards personal trainers, not the general public, and follow their suggestions.

While it's an over-simplification than I write below, ultimately, it boils down to an equation:

Calories Ingested (Eating) - Calories Burned (Exercise) = Weight Loss/Gain
I run a 482 FE and this air filter is all I could come up with inside a turkey pan to get more air.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Barry could build you a 390 FE stroked to 445 cubes could easily Meet your hp desires which would save you those up front costs that your seemingly after.
Detroit Bill: I see Brent has the 390-based 431/445 on his Web site at $13,350 (Lykins Motorsports, LLC). That seems competitive with the 385 and a bunch less money than the Pond block, while providing the authenticity of an FE. Win/Win!!

The closest I could find on Brent's dyno pages to the above engine was this:
487 ci FE, 536 hp @ 6000, 583 lb-ft. 4.270 x 4.250, Scat cast crankshaft, Scat H-beam rods, Diamond pistons, 10.5:1. Comp Cams hydraulic roller, 245/248 @ .050", .634"/.634" lift, 110 LSA. Edelbrock RPM heads with competition valve job, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Quick Fuel BD-850 carburetor. Stuska dyno.

So, then 487 FE has a bit bigger bore and displacement, but same crank and stroke and, as near as I can tell, pretty much the same components. Knock off a bit for the CI and the 431/445 still looks like it's just shy of 500 HP - well over the 400 HP that's supposedly 'usable' on street cars.

Rather than speculating - let's ask the builder.

Brent: What does the 390-based 431/445 typically pull on the dyno?

Last edited by cycleguy55; 01-17-2015 at 11:44 AM..
Old 01-17-2015, 12:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post

Rather than speculating - let's ask the builder.

Brent: What does the 390-based 431/445 typically pull on the dyno?
Truth is that's going to depend the Dyno.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

482's with CNC ported heads and a well-chosen camshaft will make around 550-575 hp here.

431's-445's with CNC ported heads will go about 500-525 hp.

The 487 that you pulled off my website was for a customer out of Canada. He supplied his own cylinder heads, which were basically out-of-the-box Edelbrock heads. We just did a valve job to clean them up and bolted them on.
cycleguy55 likes this.