Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By vatdevil

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2015, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Early Superformance

Are the early Superformance Cobras handling & build to a similar standard as late model Superformance Cobras
Old 05-22-2015, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Define "Early"

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 05-22-2015, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Superformance #23 thru #100
Do you own one?

Kerry
Old 05-23-2015, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech 427 Comp by Craig Coombe
Not Ranked     

I own #23. It's a prototype, and it's built to a high standard. The latest cars, however, have better shocks, brakes, and more accurate interiors. I don't think you could go wrong if you have an opportunity to buy an early car. Although some SPF owners are track drivers, IMHO most of us who own these cars don't push them to the point where the differences between old vs new are very important...if we did, we'd probably run out of talent before the car failed us :-)

Bill
Old 05-23-2015, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, #011
Not Ranked     

Hello Kerry

I am not sure, but some years ago I also had some questions to very early superformance cars. I simply asked Dave Cope from Superformance LCC and got some more details.
His email address was: dave@superformance.com

... probably he can help?

Werner
(my car is prototype #011)
Old 05-23-2015, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #522
Not Ranked     

Ditto what Bill stated. Also, best to replace any of the components with seals and hoses, if they haven't already. So, calipers, brake hoses, master cylinder, clutch cylinder and slave, cooling water fuel hoses, shocks, ect....due to age of car. This would be a good excuse to upgrade.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhenk27 View Post
The latest cars, however, have...more accurate interiors.

Bill
Aside from the seats, there really isn't any other distinguishing visual differences between early car interiors and present day. Same Smiths gauges, Moto-Lita wood wheel, etc. Also dropped drivers foot box starting around car #600 or so.

Last edited by ACademic; 05-24-2015 at 06:33 AM..
Old 05-23-2015, 08:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Challenge Car, RDI aluminum 427w
Not Ranked     

There really are a number of differences, whether the changes matter to the owner is the main concern.

Wheels, brakes and spindles changed over the course of production
Cowl height increased and the windscreen changed about car #1200
Differential changed from the Ford 8.8 to the BTR/Dana about car #2068
Early cars had Ford brakes, then about car #680 Wilwoods were introduced.
A different version of Wilwoods were introduced about car #2700
Seat construction ant-sway bars, coil-overs, parking brakes, heater systems, dash layout all changed throughout the production.
There were a few frame changes to first accommodate the Mod Motor and then later the Coyote.
The steering wheel was angled forward to drop the steering shaft for the engine changes.

This information is from the Superformance MKIII Owners Manual produced by Mike Stenhouse/Second Strike. Second Strike - the Superformance Owners Group

I was privileged to be part of the editorial committee.

Jim
SPF 1855 & 2584
Old 05-24-2015, 07:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

To add to this and I forgot to respond to the original question.

The A-Arms have been essentially the same at least as far as I know. The spindles, coil-overs, sway bars have all changed over the years but can be upgraded if desired. Cobra Valley offers ball joints, sway bars and coil-overs.

There's also the upper rear shock mount that Cobra Valley offers that is a recommended change for strength and safety.

There shouldn't be a significant difference in handling from an early car to the later ones, component dependent of course.

Jim
Old 05-24-2015, 09:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Are these older cars holding there value .
Looking to buy one of the early Right Hand Drive Cobras . Cob 060 .
Old 05-25-2015, 12:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I can only speak for the German market, but holding value is a difficult thing - especially for Cobras. I assume the situation ist not complete different in the US. If you search for a classic car with a stable price I would propose a Porsche 911 or a Mercedes Benz 190SL or even a 67 Mustang Fastback 390 S-Code GT ... the last would be my second "fun" car...

Also RHD is not the best boundary condition if you speak about value - i have made the same experience -my COB011 is RHD, too.

But nevertheless as we say in Germany - every day an idiot wakes up - so, everything is possible if you will sell you car anytime in the future - the only thing you will then need is time.

Cheers
Werner
Old 05-25-2015, 02:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #522
Not Ranked     

SPF values hit bottom around 10 years. Prices do vary a bit with economic conditions. I purchased mine for 31K at height of last recession and Im sure the current market would support a higher value.
Detroit Bill likes this.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't want to misuse this thread, but I think it can be a fine opportunity to collect some more detailed information about early Superformance Cobras within the previously mentioned range up to car 100.

Some years ago Bill started another thread searching for other owners of early cars, but I think technical information to these early ones would be also of interest.

What do you think – would it be O.K. to use this thread – or would it be better to start a new one?

Werner
Old 05-25-2015, 02:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

060 is the blue car with the automatic?

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 07-12-2015, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

How are the seats different in the early cars? Are they molded fiberglass? I'm not certain on the number of this SPF, but I suspect it is around 118. Looks like a pseudo molded hood scoop - is that common?
Old 07-25-2015, 08:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That is the standard hood scoop although in the photo the rivets look flatter. Mine are more rounded like button head screws. The scoops are part of the molded hodd, not an add on.
Jim