Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2015, 06:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R
Not Ranked     
Default Paint Question

I have a few minor nicks and scratches on my Superformance. A mechanic says he can remove these using #2000 steel wool & rubbing compound. Can that in any way harm the paint?
Old 06-21-2015, 07:15 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzmac View Post
I have a few minor nicks and scratches on my Superformance. A mechanic says he can remove these using #2000 steel wool & rubbing compound. Can that in any way harm the paint?
Are you sure he said steel wool?

2000 (I prefer 3000 for such purposes) grit wet/dry sand paper and "polishing" compound will get out most scratches that you cannot feel with your fingernail.

But in all my years as a bodyshop owner, I never heard of anyone using steel wool on a painted surface.

Best you stay away from this guy if that is what he plans to use.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-21-2015, 08:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My mistake, it's 2000 wet sandpaper and polishing compound.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:02 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzmac View Post
My mistake, it's 2000 wet sandpaper and polishing compound.
Again, I prefer 3,000 grit wet/dry (AUTOMOTIVE) sandpaper for wetsanding.

Yet, you can use a simple polishing compound to take out most minor scratches in the clearcoat, and you might not even need the wet/dry at all.

Has your mechanic worked in the autobody business in the past as a painter? If not, it's kind of like asking your dentist to perform your brain surgery.

Enough said

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-21-2015, 11:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

If you decide to try a little wet sanding, soak the paper for about 15 minutes first in water with a couple drops of liquid soap. Unsoaked sand paper will leave deeper scratches. I've had problems with Meguires 3000 sandpaper scratching unless I soak the heck out of it. Less problems with 3M 2500 paper. First I would try a foam polishing bonnet on a buffer or electric drill and some polishing compound.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 427 Stroked Windsor TKO 600 w/3.50 posi 9"
Not Ranked     

Take it to a good detail shop, they can do it for you if you haven't done it before and it's fairly priced.
They do it every day.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Find a good detailer in your area. Anybody worth their salt will have a WAIT to get an appointment. Sometimes booked months out. Don't find a guy on craigslist. You get what you pay for. Paint correction to include possible wet sanding will be expensive, but worth it. Doing your entire car top to bottom will take a couple days, not a couple hours if done correctly. It will also be expensive (but worth it). What color is your Cobra? If it's black, may God help you. I just finished machine polishing out my black Shelby over the weekend. It's near perfect now, but it took 10 hours, and I didn't even touch the engine compartment or interior.

This is a section of my roof:

Old 06-22-2015, 08:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I did do my red SPF a couple weeks ago and it took half the time. Much smaller car, and it wasn't black, so ultimate perfection wasn't required. I didn't have to wet sand, but I had to compound out the entire car and then follow with polish and sealant. It's rewarding to watch the swirls and fine scratches disappear but it takes a lot of work and careful technique.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My car is Titanium. What can be done for nicks in the door that you can feel with your fingernail? The previous owner let the seat harness buckle hit the top of the door in a couple of spots.

Your car looks awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post
Find a good detailer in your area. Anybody worth their salt will have a WAIT to get an appointment. Sometimes booked months out. Don't find a guy on craigslist. You get what you pay for. Paint correction to include possible wet sanding will be expensive, but worth it. Doing your entire car top to bottom will take a couple days, not a couple hours if done correctly. It will also be expensive (but worth it). What color is your Cobra? If it's black, may God help you. I just finished machine polishing out my black Shelby over the weekend. It's near perfect now, but it took 10 hours, and I didn't even touch the engine compartment or interior.

This is a section of my roof:

Old 06-24-2015, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #89, KCR aluminum 427 windsor
Not Ranked     

a lot of us have dings in the top of the door from the seatbelt buckles... it's CHARACTER! LOL Seriously tho... for something that deep, I'd imaging your only option would be to fill it with some touchup paint followed by a light polish/wax, & let it go at that. Otherwise, I'd think you looking at a sand/fill/sand/paint/clear scenario.
BDR #89- KCR aluminum 427 windsor, TKO-600