Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 05-14-2022, 01:27 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Default Adding a power port

I'm looking to add a power port for my GPS and phone charger to my SPF 289 roadster. Need to tap in to a "key on" only circuit. Anyone have suggestions as to what I can easily get to near the transmission tunnel. Not currently near the car, so I cannot look for myself, just trying to get ideas, or maybe pictures of what others have done.

Thanks in advance,

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 05-14-2022, 10:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

There are several key on switches in the center dash. Add a repo Mustang or other 62-65 Ford cars cigarette lighter and a universal USB adapter and your good to go, plus when It's parked, it looks real vintage! Don't forget the Austin Healy, ash tray in the tranny tunnel! That's what I am going to do, and others before me have done. Cheers, Dennis
Old 05-15-2022, 03:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ford 302
Not Ranked     

I hid a usb port under the dash, run a cable out when needed. or pull cable and never seen.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-15-2022, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Since my battery disconnect is on the aft bulkhead. I added a 40 amp fused circuit at the switched side of the cutoff switch to a +Pos busbar along with a -Neg busbar. Easier if I ever want any further accessories.

Old 05-15-2022, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Bill,

I will take a look at my wiring diagram and see if I can find something for you.

Jim
Old 05-15-2022, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Bill, what about on the side of your glovebox? Sufficiently out of site, and you could have a short extention cable to make access easier.

Cheers,
Glen
Old 05-15-2022, 07:01 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Bill, what about on the side of your glovebox? Sufficiently out of site, and you could have a short extention cable to make access easier.

Cheers,
Glen
I got home earlier this evening and took some pictures of the under dash areas from one side to the other. One of the areas I'm looking at is indeed the side the the glovebox with a weather tight enclosure bolted to it. Found a small dual plug unit that I should have in hand tomorrow night to see if that may or may not work.

I think now I'm more concerned where to tap in for power and ground purposes. Clearly "key on" only will be needed, it has been suggested a lug off the ignition switch, which one that is, I am uncertain at this time. For ground, I should be able to use a self tapping screw in to any of the exposed metal framework under the dash, provided it is not close to anything else the screw might come in contact with.

Bill S.

Old 05-15-2022, 07:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Consider that in every vehicle I've ever owned the power port is on a dedicated circuit since they are usually rated to 10 or 15 amps. Check to see if you have an open fuse position and connect it there. I realize that a USB plug in adapter uses less but nonetheless you need to be conscious of current draw wherever you tap.
Old 05-15-2022, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
....I think now I'm more concerned where to tap in for power and ground purposes. Clearly "key on" only will be needed, it has been suggested a lug off the ignition switch, which one that is, I am uncertain at this time. For ground, I should be able to use a self tapping screw in to any of the exposed metal framework under the dash, provided it is not close to anything else the screw might come in contact with...
Do you have easy access to the fuse box/block on an SPF MkII?
I'm assuming yes, so there might be a spare tab that's power/ignition on that you could use, otherwise piggy-back onto the wipers/washers tab or instrument lights tab in the fuse block?
Then, as you described for the earth connection.

Cheers,
Glen
Old 05-19-2022, 01:12 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     
Cool

There are times where I can be my own worst enemy, in this case of adding a power port to my 289 roadster, I thought and over thought this. Hours spent taking pictures, measurements and more measurements.....At 2am last night, I had a "KISS" epiphany, and then spent an hour or so and installed the attached:

Single port, can insert a USB adapter to charge my phone, properly wired with fuses and weather tight quick disconnects. Held on below the dash with one easy to install/uninstall velcro strap. Even with a close up shot, you can barely see it, and unless you are looking for it, most will never notice.

Swing it out from behind the downtube, and easy access from either seat.

Wish I had thought about this from the beginning, would have been done on a cooler day, with less humidity.

Thanks to all who responded.

Bill S.

Old 05-19-2022, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
....I think now I'm more concerned where to tap in for power and ground purposes.....
Where did you end up taking power from?
Old 05-19-2022, 07:03 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Where did you end up taking power from?
Terminal on the ignition (key on only).
Ground was pre-existing, located above the glovebox on a cross tube.
Both have quick disconnect harnesses installed with an inline fuse on the power side.

Bill S.

Old 05-20-2022, 05:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     

I have had really good luck with the Blue Sea products. I have a 12V / dual USB accessory panel mounted to the lower dash lip and it works great and is pretty much invisible: https://www.bluesea.com/products/436...Mini_Voltmeter

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: