Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2016, 02:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Shelby Cobra CSX6045, 468 ci all aluminum Shelby engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Garage View Post
Ok, all the dyno charts must lie

Must be a slow day in Louisville.
Why does every thread you participate in (on multiple forums) lead to you throwing insults?
Old 06-05-2016, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Some people live to shots at engine builders. I don't understand why. Blykins only helps everyone on here for free. And few know more than he does.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Where's the insult? What I posted was factual, all Brent did paraphrase what I said and then add his own spin as if to "correct".

I guess I need to dumb it down a little. BBs as a family have more low end grunt than SBs. If you disagree speak up. SBs as a family make their power higher up in the RPM range than BBs. If you disagree speak up.

You can build any motor to make power where you want but if you look at the population of both, then what you see is what has been stated - the dyno charts don't lie.

Al G, if you didn't have something to b!tch about you wouldn't have much to say at all. A couple of PMs on that other thread early on gave me a heads-up, they were right.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Where's the insult? What I posted was factual, all Brent did paraphrase what I said and then add his own spin as if to "correct".

I guess I need to dumb it down a little. BBs as a family have more low end grunt than SBs. If you disagree speak up. SBs as a family make their power higher up in the RPM range than BBs. If you disagree speak up.

You can build any motor to make power where you want but if you look at the population of both, then what you see is what has been stated - the dyno charts don't lie.

Al G, if you didn't have something to b!tch about you wouldn't have much to say at all. A couple of PMs on that other thread early on gave me a heads-up, they were right.
Wrong again. Like Blykins said. It depends on the cam and heads. He can make a small block with more low end grunt than a big block and he can make a big block with more power up top that revs to the moon. Most of the time it is the opposite like you state. But not always the case. So it's not always the case. I'm not taking sides just stating facts.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What part of this don't you get?

Quote:
... it's the specifics of the build that determines the power.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #705, Ford Racing 460 - 514ci
Not Ranked     

You guys are silly.

It would be kind of dumb to build them that way. Lighter engines have lighter rotating mass which is ideal for high rpm work. Big blocks don't need to rev to the moon....at all.....ever.

Bad ass street cruisers are big blocks and bad ass road course cars are small blocks.

(flame suite on )

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing65 View Post
Wrong again. Like Blykins said. It depends on the cam and heads. He can make a small block with more low end grunt than a big block and he can make a big block with more power up top that revs to the moon. Most of the time it is the opposite like you state. But not always the case. So it's not always the case. I'm not taking sides just stating facts.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Joe,

You got wadded up because someone was comparing an FE to a 302. Then you said we should compare apples to apples, a 427 SBF compared to a 427FE. Then you said that you should google dyno charts for "427 variants" and stated that big blocks brought the power in sooner and petered out sooner.

I responded based on that statement, because I have built many of each. The engine itself doesn't know it's a big block or a small block. It knows how many cubes it has and how big the heads and cam are.

If you meant something differently, then by all means, clear it up.

jacobsed, that's really another wives' tale.....

A longer stroke doesn't make for a lazier engine.....otherwise the 4.750" and 5" stroke Pro Stock Mountain Motor guys wouldn't be able to pull to 8000 rpm.

I have built 408 Windsors that were done at 5000 rpm for towing purposes. I have built 465 and 511 inch FE's that didn't get started until 5000 rpm and would pull to 7500 without issue. If you don't believe me, Google CSX3170 autocrossing. That's a 498 inch FE that makes peak horsepower at 7600......

Speaking in generalities is what can cause problems. As I stated above, engines don't know whether or not they are big blocks or small blocks. The block size itself doesn't mean anything....it's all a combination of bore, stroke, cylinder head, and camshaft.
Gaz64 likes this.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsed View Post
... Lighter engines have lighter rotating mass which is ideal for high rpm work. Big blocks don't need to rev to the moon....at all.....ever.

Bad ass street cruisers are big blocks and bad ass road course cars are small blocks ...
Yep, couldn't agree with you more.

Maybe Brent needs to hear it from a different source

http://www.strokerengine.com/StrokedEngines.html
Old 06-05-2016, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Maybe Brent just needs to go back to building engines and letting the internet quarterbacks feel like they know what they're talking about.

If you want to see dyno sheets, I have more than I can post....would you believe them? I don't have to Google them.
Dimis and Al G like this.

Last edited by blykins; 06-05-2016 at 04:34 PM..
Old 06-05-2016, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Interesting how people who have never built an engine know more about it than someone who earns his living by doing just that. <sarcasm>
Old 06-05-2016, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The generalities are what throw everyone off.

You can't say a long stroke engine can't rev.....because they can.

You can't say a big block has all power down low and nothing up top.....because that's not always true.

You can't say that a small block has nothing down low and everything up top.....because that's not always true.

You can't say that a big block is heavier than a small block....because that's not always true.

You can't say that a big block makes a Cobra handle horribly and makes a poor choice for an engine for a track car....because that's not always true either.

On each and every blanket statement that's made, I can come up with a proven example for the contrary.

By Joe's reasoning, a 427 FE would have a broader powerband, make power sooner and fall off sooner because it's a big block. He fails to realize that a 427W has a longer stroke than the FE (by almost a 1/4"). I guess the FE block gives it a magical quality....

My only point is that blanket, general statements need to be avoided.
Gaz64 likes this.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No, the generalities throw you off ...

Quote:
... BBs as a family have more low end grunt than SBs
... SBs as a family make their power higher up in the RPM range than BBs
... You can build any motor to make power where you want but if you look at the population of both, then what you see is what has been stated.
Nothing surprising here, everybody pretty much gets it but you.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Go pound sand.

You get that?
Al G likes this.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:38 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Old 06-05-2016, 05:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

tisk tisk
Old 06-05-2016, 10:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Ok, all the dyno charts must lie

Must be a slow day in Louisville.
You don't think that's trying to bait anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Why does every thread you participate in (on multiple forums) lead to you throwing insults?
Quote:
Where's the insult?
Read over what you've posted in a couple of days, objectively, then reflect a little...

Quote:
Al G, if you didn't have something to b!tch about you wouldn't have much to say at all.
PS: Hello pot, my name is kettle... (no not baiting you, just reflecting).

Quote:
A poll was taken awhile back, maybe also of some value to the OP -
Club Cobra - View Poll Results
PPS: All that poll tells me is that 3 people are honest enough to admit the truth, and the rest are happy with what they chose. I'm not sure of the relevance?

Good luck with your build.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
I build a lot of engines for Cobra customers and I also have never heard any one say that they are ditching their big block for a small block.
Now that I'm getting older, I'm thinking about downsizing. I'm looking for something with less power, less desirability, something ubiquitous. You know, everyone has one, which will give me anonymity at car shows. Yes! A small block would fit the bill.

Just so you guys know, you're both right in my book.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC Cars Limited, 302 EFI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
.................. a 427 style car needs one. A 289 style car needs a small block.
I agonised for 12 months over this and in the end came down to exactly this point of view.

My small block is coming out and a new all alloy 427 FE being built now, will be going in. It certainly isn't the easy choice because the car is an Autokraft Mk IV with a full inner body, but in the end my mind was made up, for no other reason than the car has the 427 body shape.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Patrick, I must say....

That is probably the funniest post you have made in your Club Cobra career. And you did it with the quickness too.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1867 , KC427
Not Ranked     

Future big block owner chiming in. I like the loud pedal and personally the 427 doesn't get it done for me in regards to pure acceleration. I am by no means an engine guru but based on all the articles and build threads I have seen you can take the exact same engine and by changing cam and cylinder heads completely manipulate the power delivery. I would think with enough cubic inches a big block built to peak at 6000rpm would have plenty of bottom end in our light cars. On a SPF car is it possible to keep the factory hood when you are looking at a 385 series engine? I have heard the intake selection is rather limited......it would be ashame to build something nice and cork it up with a weak intake and airfilter combo. As much as I dislike the thought of having to look at EFI it seems like a multi-port EFI setup would open up your intake options and would allow you to get the proper size air filter on it. If I was buying my car over again I would be looking for a big block.