Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2016, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Who Is Running A Big Block In Their SPF

Looking at most of the newer SPFs being built they all seem to be running a stroked 351. Just curious if anyone here with a newer SPF is running a BB (390/427/428/460). Anything special you need to do to run a BB and if ordering a new one I would assume you would order it ready for the desired BB so the engine mounts and headers would be correct.

Thanks for the information.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:59 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Look up "Detroitbill" here. He has a MK III he recently purchased from us with a 427 FE that Olthoff Racing installed.

If you order the chassis the headers and mounts will be supplied for the FE otherwise the dealer will need to swap or procure the correct pieces. We stock the headers, etc. for the FE.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 05-16-2016, 10:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1867 , KC427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by E5USMC View Post
Looking at most of the newer SPFs being built they all seem to be running a stroked 351. Just curious if anyone here with a newer SPF is running a BB (390/427/428/460). Anything special you need to do to run a BB and if ordering a new one I would assume you would order it ready for the desired BB so the engine mounts and headers would be correct.

Thanks for the information.
If you are a power freak you should go big block. I have a 427 Windsor.......is it fast enough oh heck yeah but have I ever thought I should back out of the throttle because I couldn't take it anymore oh heck no. If you like nasty cams, the smell of gas and copious amount of power just go big block from the beginning. I think I will go to a stroked 385 one day.....It may scare the living day lights out of me but I'm not a purist and I don't see the benefit per $ to use an FE. Good luck with your decision and like it was posted before the headers and the engine mounts seem to be all that is holding one back when swapping to a big block.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC Cars Limited, 302 EFI
Not Ranked     

I run a 302 EFI, but right now, am having an all alloy 427 FE built by Brent Lykins, with new custom forged crank, 3.78 stoke as original.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance#1325, Miller Machine FE
Not Ranked     
Default Big Block

I would not have anything else. It is a 427 and should have one under the hood. Not everyone is a good builder for an FE so find a good one but nothing can compare with cubic inches for the raw power and torque from a Big Block.
You will spend a little more but your enjoyment will be greater.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:47 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

A couple of FEs from our customer cars
Attached Images

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 05-19-2016, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1309 www.spfowners.freeforums.net
Not Ranked     

I have had a case of the big block wants for a while. I absolutely love everything about my car so the choice is put a big block in my car which is alot of work changing transmissions, etc... Or find one already done with a big block. Problem is everyone I see is not the right color or has things I don't like.

I think eventually I will swap one in my current car.

http://spfowners.freeforums.net/
Old 05-19-2016, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #705, Ford Racing 460 - 514ci
Not Ranked     

Yup, I've never heard anyone say "man, I wish I put a small block in.".....like I've NEVER heard that......ever.

I've got a stroked 460 in mine....fantastic! I'm down in St. Joe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyg View Post
I have had a case of the big block wants for a while. I absolutely love everything about my car so the choice is put a big block in my car which is alot of work changing transmissions, etc... Or find one already done with a big block. Problem is everyone I see is not the right color or has things I don't like.

I think eventually I will swap one in my current car.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     

Mark mentioned my car. I can't speak for a small block because I have no experience but my car with the big block continues to impress me. I have had some fast cars but this one hits a level that is hard to keep up with. But it is not what my wife calls "trust me fast". This is what I call "sh*t your pants fast".
Old 06-04-2016, 01:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

The Windsor is plenty powerful. Big blocks look cool and has power. If you daily drive the car go small block. I like small blocks, especially in Cobras. Light and powerful. I have a big block for my Kirkham because you can't put a small block in one or they will cut of your head and stone you to death.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

After cruising around all morning I can confirm there is no substitute for a big block. The car loves it, I love it and everyone who asks loves it.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

posted elsewhere ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsed View Post
big block all the way

You NEVER hear anyone say "Man...I wish I had put a small block in"
posted here ...
Quote:
Yup, I've never heard anyone say "man, I wish I put a small block in.".....like I've NEVER heard that......ever.

I've got a stroked 460 in mine....fantastic! I'm down in St. Joe.
Quote:
After cruising around all morning I can confirm there is no substitute for a big block. The car loves it, I love it and everyone who asks loves it.
... sounds like you need to repeatedly convince yourself of that

The OP might want to read this which relates and does a good job with the pros & cons. 427 FE vs 351w, advantages?
Old 06-05-2016, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just hate to see somebody missing out....if you're going to track it on a regular basis then the small block is a good choice. But there is no other reason to put a small block in.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A poll was taken awhile back, maybe also of some value to the OP -
Club Cobra - View Poll Results

Last edited by Joe's Garage; 06-05-2016 at 07:52 AM..
Old 06-05-2016, 08:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory 5 mk4 445 FE
Not Ranked     

I had a 302 in my first build but always in my heart I knew the next one had to be a FE. Finally, last Oct the new one came in and I stuck the FE in this sucker. Have not driven it yet.. but it sure cranks good and sounds good. Not a SPF... but just trying to help you over the hump... Its just something "right" about a FE.
http://vid393.photobucket.com/albums...psiixl2xsn.mp4
Stoneville,NC

My ex car. Sad to see it go.
http://www.ffcars.com/POM/nov2003pom.JPG

Last edited by RACERAL; 06-05-2016 at 08:29 AM..
Old 06-05-2016, 09:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

A lot of the Cobras are running small blocks because they are available from so many manufacturers as crate engines. For example, the majority of Ford Racing's lineup of crate engines are small block based engines....302's, 347's, 427's, etc. Many guys go with the path of least resistance.

As far as some of the other comments...

I build a lot of engines for Cobra customers and I also have never heard any one say that they are ditching their big block for a small block.

There are also many wives' tales passed around....big blocks are more expensive, big blocks are too heavy, big blocks don't make good engines for track cars, etc. All of those are incorrect, but still get passed around as gospel.

If you want a big block, go for it. It's that simple. My personal opinion is that a 427 style car needs one. A 289 style car needs a small block.
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I see a lot of posts bringing in the smaller SBFs as the comparison between SB and BB, recently a 302cid. If you want to compare apples to apples then a 427 FE should be compared to a 427w, just sayin'.

Power wise, both can make more than you will ever need, 750hp crates available for both if you want to go nuts and you have the $$. The difference is where that power shows up, BB gets the power sooner and tops out sooner, SB later on both - just google dyno charts for the 427 variants.

The guy who thinks his mildly tuned SBF represents the power of the marque is naive, both SB and BB can be anemic - it's the specifics of the build that determines the power.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Garage View Post
The difference is where that power shows up, BB gets the power sooner and tops out sooner, SB later on both - just google dyno charts for the 427 variants.
That's actually another wives tale. Where an engine gets its power and loses it is a function of the camshaft and cylinder heads. Otherwise, you can make a 427FE behave exactly like a 427SBF.

Everyone thinks that because it's a big block that it's going to have mind-numbing torque at any rpm and automatically peter out at low rpms, or since it's a small block that it's going to rev to the moon and be gutless at low rpm. Just doesn't happen like that in reality.
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok, all the dyno charts must lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Garage View Post
... it's the specifics of the build that determines the power.
Must be a slow day in Louisville.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So what are you saying? Because your statements contradict each other. Your first statement says that big blocks are done early and small blocks aren't.

That's wrong.