Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree323Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 09-05-2017, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Thanks Rick, appreciate it, and by the way, I spent 5 hours yesterday making sauce and preparing the meats and will be spending a couple of hours tonight or tomorrow making homemade pasta. should have enough to feed about 20 people. It is important to keep your crew and friend well fed, and to fatten-up your fellow racers to slow them down a little bit on the track..
Old 09-05-2017, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Congratulations - what a fantastic journey! Can't wait now for running pics/video and the track test report. Job well done.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 09-05-2017, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coombe, Shelby Block 496
Not Ranked     

Congrats Jim,
And best of luck with the car,
Will be waiting for the feed back report!
Old 09-05-2017, 04:45 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
Thanks Rick, appreciate it, and by the way, I spent 5 hours yesterday making sauce and preparing the meats and will be spending a couple of hours tonight or tomorrow making homemade pasta. should have enough to feed about 20 people. It is important to keep your crew and friend well fed, and to fatten-up your fellow racers to slow them down a little bit on the track..
BENE! Molto bene!

I will bring a nice bottle of Chianti I brought back from Radda in Chianti where Chianti originated! Also I will bring some cheap Dago Red we can all guzzle!

So where in Italia did your people come from? Although my surname is Germanic, I am heavily Italian from Pescasseroli in Abruzzo. And even my "German" ancestors were actually French (Alsace-Lorraine) when they emigrated. You know, that region where you were "German or French" depending on who was winning at the moment!

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 09-05-2017, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick,

My grandfathers came from L'Aquila in Abruzzo and my grandmothers came from northern Napoli/southern Abruzzo.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ford Racing 363/8-stack injection, SPFR0012
Not Ranked     

Looking forward to hearing about how things go.

Good luck.

Mark.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

Good Luck....and bring me back the tire temps and pressures....

Morris
Old 09-06-2017, 06:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
Good Luck....and bring me back the tire temps and pressures....

Morris
Morris,

Have not had time to find someone with a meter to measure tire temps, it is on my Christmas list. I have been running 23lbs cold in the front and 24 in the rear. Tires seem to grip well. Getting used to the car and not using it hard yet. It does have nice acceleration.

Two test session done and several to go tomorrow. Have not put her in the wall yet.

Dennis Olthoff has provided some great support and guidance with some minor issues. Busy day tomorrow and Friday.

Last edited by 1795; 09-06-2017 at 06:19 PM..
Old 09-06-2017, 06:27 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I talked to Dennis late today and he said you had some issues with brake fluid and oil leaks. Yes, a new race car shakedown. Check 100m things at home and 110 will surface once it passes the outer fence at a track!

See you tomorrow. Let me know if there is anything I can bring to help other that wine!

Old 09-07-2017, 02:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick,

I wil be working on the one oil fitting that is leaking this morning and will need help bleeding the brakes and installing some heat reflective material. See you this morning.

Jim
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:12 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim,

I won't be there until late afternoon. Call if you need anything brought along.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Update

Sorry no videos or photos today, will have one for tomorrow. I was alone today with no crew and had to do all the prep work and get the car ready by myself for the most part. Had some fellow racers help strap me in and get the HANS device attached to my helmet. My wife normally does that function and she leafed from my cousin who used to crew for a GT1 corvette. To pull tight on the shoulder straps, ask me if I can breathe and if I say yes, or are able to exhale air at all, she pulls them tighter.

Had a slight problem in the morning test session, going into the boot I had a mis-shift and then the shifter stuck in 3rd gear. Had to nurse the car around the rest of the lap and come in. Had some fellow racers who were running mustangs come over and take a look at it, we figured that the transmission was fine and that the problem was in the linkage. Dennis Olthoff came over later and and was able to adjust the linkage and free up the shifter. He also gave me some guidance on the tire air pressure. I had been told to run 23 front and 24 back. Dennis told me that those should be my hot pressures and that I should be at 18 cold. Adjusted the air pressure and was running pretty nice the last session. Morris, I was wondering if you were going to comment on the air pressure as compared to what you were running. Of course we are running different cars and tires.

So, the car was running nice, I was beginning to feel more comfortable in it and increasing my speed and braking later. Things were going good until on my 3rd lap of the practice session as I was downshifting and braking late to go into the Bus Stop (the chicane at Watkins Glen) upon turn-in towards the apex I heard a noise and noticed a green Jaguar that was atteming to dive-bomb me into the chicane I was probably going at least 80 mph and he was probably going tabour the same. It is a tight corner and the nose of his car was at my passenger side door. There was no way that we were both going through that corner at the same time at those speeds without making contact. I made a quick decision to jump the curbing to my left (it is a right hand turn into the chicane) go across a small patch of grass and then was back on the track. Car jumped a little in the process and then stalled. I brought the car to a rest off the track and waited for a tow

Got the car back and so far it looks like the only damage is a broken exhaust hanger. Will go through the car tomorrow morning early to make sure everything is alright. Will have two qualifying sessions tomorrow.

Such is the life or racing. Dennis has been a great support.

Talk to you later. I will make sure my wife turns on the go pro tomorrow.

Jim
xb-60 likes this.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
Morris, I was wondering if you were going to comment on the air pressure as compared to what you were running. Of course we are running different cars and tires.
Jim
Sorting out a car is not as easy as most folks think......there is always more then one way to achieve the results you are looking for......

On a predominantly right hand turn track....like Road America, we go out cold

LF-20#, RF-22#, LR-23#, RR-23#......cold

LF-30#, RF-30#, LR-30#, RR-30#......Hot....200*-215* degrees, across tire....

The temps and pressures are adjusted based on how the suspension is working....

Remember I'm a very aggressive driver....so I'm going to work our tires much harder then most....

Right now you just need to run the car around the track and get some seat time in that car and gain confidence that the car is going to run without any issues....steering,brakes,temperatures and motor stability.......then you can go to oversteer or understeer issues.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ford Racing 363/8-stack injection, SPFR0012
Not Ranked     

Keep up the great work, thanks for posting your experiences. That takes time out of prep work we all appreciate it. Thank YOU.

Mark.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Made it home safe and sound. Will be giving updates and videos once I get the car off the trailer, equipment unloaded and some dinner. Sorry for the delay, but a friend who was helping me with crew and I sat in his car on Friday while it was raining and were watching the video of my run that morning. When he left that night, my go pro and laptop went with him and I did not get them back until today.

Jim
1985 CCX and xb-60 like this.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Videos ?
Pictures ?
Old 09-11-2017, 02:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Ok, finally got a race video on youtube. It is on two vides, my Gopro seems to want to break videos into 12 minute segments and I am not well versed enough to figure how to link them together.

Being that this was the first race weekend with the car, and the first time that I was able to drive it at all, there were several instances of mis-shifts, which you will see in the videos. Also, was not pushing the car to it's limits, as I had no idea how the car would respond and was not going to pull a Titanic and crash it on the maiden voyage. There were a lot of fast cars in Group 6 and the gout included large bores, small bores and large 6 cylinder cars.

Have figures out a few adjustments that I will want to work inn before the next race. Discussed removing the windshield with Dennis Olthoff and his comment was, get rid of that barn door and you will gain 15 mph on the back straight.

Well, I will ramble more later. On the first video you will want to fast forward until you see me raise my and with the index fine pointing up, or when I raise a closed fist after that. Otherwise you will be watching a lot of warming the car up on the grid. First lap is behind the pace car. The second video takes you until just before the checkered flag. Did not post that video as there is only about 20 seconds of race video and the rest of the time is the cool down lap and driving back t the paddock.

First video:

https://youtu.be/-NMdd2BjFlo

Second video:

https://youtu.be/YXqdQS-3Bsl

Enjoy. I sure did!

More information soon.

Jim
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

For some reason the link to the second video does not work, but it is in youtube. I am going to try the link again, if it does not work go to youtube and search Watkins Glen Vintage Grand Prix Video 2.

Vintage racing is a little less intense as some other forms of racing. The winner gets nothing and we if there is a after car overtaking us we will point them through. Made a friend of Andre Ahrle pointing him through and allowing him to keep pace for a 4th place finish with the 427 Comp Cobra. He asked if I was going to be at COTA in November for the SVRA championship. I said that it was probably not likely unless I found someone with an enclosed trailer to bring the car down and a crew, as there is a high likelihood of snow in upstate NY in November and I have an open trailer.

https://youtu.be/YXqdQS-3Bsl

I want to thank Rick Muck, Dennis Olthoff and Roy Mason for al there support and advice at the track. There were times that I was driver and crew and it helped having some support and guidance in making adjustments and repairs. A special thanks to Ross Henry for designing such a wonderful car. Everybody that looked at the car, including fellow racers commented on what a beautiful car it is. One last special thanks to Morris for his insight and guidance. It takes a team to make a success. I cannot wait to get the car on the track again and to get more proficient with it. It does handle nice and I will get faster with time and familiarity.

Morris, I was able to get a friend to get one set of tire temps coming off the track. Temps are listed as the tires sit on the car facing forward.

LF: 100, 101, 109
RF: 105, 96, 93
LR: 122, 123, 124
RR: 105, 109, 107

What do you think?

Jim

Last edited by 1795; 09-11-2017 at 06:12 AM..
Old 09-11-2017, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     

Very awesome... loved the vids.

My last hobby racing days were back in 2002, and I must admit that I miss the thrill of being strapped into the car...

HOWEVER- I don't miss the nagging anxiety about whether today was the day that I was going to hit the wall or another car, and the constant OCD'ing about the car's condition and state of prep.

Then there was the $1200 in tires that could be chewed through in a weekend, the fuel costs, trailer maintenance, tools, etc...

hmmm, wait. Maybe I DON'T miss it that much, after all

Watching your videos is a lot less expensive. Keep posting them; and good luck out there. Your car looks ad sounds fantastic
Old 09-11-2017, 07:04 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim,

If you want to do COTA you can use my trailer! I think you will need to use the Canyonero Exxon Valdez (Excursion) to tow as I doubt your Jeep is up to it.
Attached Images

Jim Kellogg and 1985 CCX like this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: