Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree323Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 03-07-2019, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Jim,

Good for you! Taking on so much of the construction chores is highly rewarding. I've done the same thing a couple times and have picked up numerous skills in the process. Good luck completing it by Summers end...

Ok. Regarding the "ear plugs" I have a suggestion. I have a couple race cars and they both run open pipes. I was turned onto an audiologist. They have rather inexpensive ear plugs that can be molded and extended deep into the ear cavity. I unfortunately have the "gag" reflex (no funnies here guys) with my inner ear and had to shorten it up to prevent that - under $100! My loud cars runs 110 decibels and I have no issue now. Just a thought...enjoy your racing season and use exceptional judgement!

Tony
Morris and 1795 like this.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

Jim: no, you didn't miss anything. I haven't placed any adds yet, trying to get all paperwork in order before that. It's just that I saw your previous post and thought "hey maybe he knows somebody looking for a Cobra to race or track.?"
I understand about the iron block, but they would have the aluminum engine to sell (or keep). The car has the tube suspension and Girling brakes, and the toploader, and the price will be attractive .
anyhow, I see you are going with no muffs? I thought most tracks were clamping down on noise, setting DB limits. ?
Also, you are going with webers on the new engine ? Won't that bump you into a different class ?
Old 03-07-2019, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA with a 347 cu in engine
Not Ranked     

Jim, good to hear from you, and excited to hear about the progress on the engine. I wear decibullz earplugs and have had good luck with them, they are fairly inexpensive, but allow you to custom mold them to your ears. Good luck with the upcoming race season.

Byron
1795 likes this.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTORHEAD View Post
Jim: no, you didn't miss anything. I haven't placed any adds yet, trying to get all paperwork in order before that. It's just that I saw your previous post and thought "hey maybe he knows somebody looking for a Cobra to race or track.?"
I understand about the iron block, but they would have the aluminum engine to sell (or keep). The car has the tube suspension and Girling brakes, and the toploader, and the price will be attractive .
anyhow, I see you are going with no muffs? I thought most tracks were clamping down on noise, setting DB limits. ?
Also, you are going with webers on the new engine ? Won't that bump you into a different class ?
Ted,

They already placed me in AP because of the larger rear tires on the FIA, so at least now I will be more true to AP. One of the reasons that I went with mufflers is that some tracks were using decibel limits, but most of the tracks that I race on have no DB limit.

Good luck on the sale, I will let people know about your car.

Jim
Old 03-07-2019, 03:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Byron,

Good to hear from you as well! I doubt that I will be able to make it to VIR this year. Pitt Race is not that far from you...maybe you can make it up there for the SAAC convention and races. How is everything going?

Jim
Old 03-07-2019, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
Jim,

Good for you! Taking on so much of the construction chores is highly rewarding. I've done the same thing a couple times and have picked up numerous skills in the process. Good luck completing it by Summers end...

Ok. Regarding the "ear plugs" I have a suggestion. I have a couple race cars and they both run open pipes. I was turned onto an audiologist. They have rather inexpensive ear plugs that can be molded and extended deep into the ear cavity. I unfortunately have the "gag" reflex (no funnies here guys) with my inner ear and had to shorten it up to prevent that - under $100! My loud cars runs 110 decibels and I have no issue now. Just a thought...enjoy your racing season and use exceptional judgement!

Tony
Tony,

I will check the audiologist thing out. This is the second home that I built for myself and I have built probably a dozen homes for Habitat for Humanity. Being a little smart and recognizing that I am getting older and therefore paying for the heavy work to be done and focusing on the interior, plumbing, electric, cabinets, flooring and the exterior siding for myself.

While racing brings out a competitive piece of me, I also recognize that it is amateur racing and there are no financial gains for finishing at the head of the pack.

Jim
Old 03-07-2019, 04:01 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Jim, good to hear your well on your way to getting the car on track this year. The Webers will be a plus in throttle response, they are the "best", and once you get the handle of dialing them in, then easy peasy. If you get a chance call me, we will continue our race lesson's I feel like I've been wintering on the east coast this year, with 34" of snow in my backyard ,in late Jan. Our avg. is 2-4" per year. Good luck my friend. Cheers Tom.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom,

Looking forward your sage advice. It's going to start warming up here next week and I am getting psyched. 34" of snow, hell I have had more than that in one day. You guys have it too easy.

Jim
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:30 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

I just knew I would get some kind of smart a-- answer from you, I expected nothing less We'll talk soon, Brother. Cheers.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
Byron,

Good to hear from you as well! I doubt that I will be able to make it to VIR this year. Pitt Race is not that far from you...maybe you can make it up there for the SAAC convention and races. How is everything going?

Jim
Things are good Jim. Way too much rain for my taste but better weather is hopefully coming soon. Pitt Race is definitely a possibility, I will check my schedule and let you know.

Best regards,
Byron
Old 03-09-2019, 03:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Byron,

If you go to Pitt, with SAAC being there, you definitely have to bring the cobra. You can park it next to mine in the paddock and instead of dueling banjos we can can start them up and have dueling Webers

Jim
1985 CCX and Riverside racer like this.

Last edited by 1795; 03-09-2019 at 05:12 AM..
Old 03-09-2019, 10:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

We can all line up.... BTW where are the Webers?

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 03-09-2019 at 10:31 AM..
Old 03-09-2019, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Should have the rebuilt engine complete with Webers around the end of March-beginning of April. Let's get as many cobras together with Webers as possible. Are you planning on putting your cobra on the track at all? I see that SAAC is having three run groups, have not seen how they are setting them up yet.

Jim
Old 03-09-2019, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
Byron,

If you go to Pitt, with SAAC being there, you definitely have to bring the cobra. You can park it next to mine in the paddock and instead of dueling banjos we can can start them up and have dueling Webers

Jim
That would be a fun road trip, I will definitely look into making it up there with the Cobra.

Byron
Old 03-09-2019, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ford Racing 363/8-stack injection, SPFR0012
Not Ranked     

Jim, FYI, my home remodel only took 2 years, me 100% and never did that kind of work before on that scale.

0012 new axels should be here soon, now all we need is spring to show up. We have just a little over 100" of snow that needs to melt.

I'll be looking in on your progress.

Mark.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Received my spare set of brake pads from Pro-Systems in NC. They provide a lot of support for vintage racers, and other racers and performance drivers. These are a better compound than the set of pads that came with the Girlings. I used them last fall for the first time and liked the response, it was a definite improvement. Not only is it a better compound, but take a look at the difference between the old set and new ones regarding the usable contact patch on the rotor. The old set is used and the one on the top in the picture, so that is why the depth is less. These new pads also come pre-bedded from Pro-Systems, which is nice if you have to change pads quickly between races and do not have time to bed them.

ALF and Morris like this.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nice find with the new brake pads. Hope they work well out on the track for you.

Best regards,

Byron
Old 03-16-2019, 03:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

EBC manufactures a few different compounds for the Girling calipers as well. I have used the “Yellow” pads with very good results on clients Cobras.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John,

Where have you purchased the EBC brake pads for the cobras from? I have found it difficult to find competition brake pads for the cobra. Thanks. One of these days I would like to make it out to the west coast for a vintage race and would like to stop by and visit. Let me know if you are ever on the east coast.

Jim
Old 03-28-2019, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default A little eye candy

Time for a little update. Received a call today from Fitzgerald Automotive and the 289 FIA engine is just about completed. Darryl is doing the final fitting and plans on putting it on the engine stand Friday and if everything goes well the engine will be to the dyno on next Saturday (April 6) for some adjusting and on Sunday, April 7 I will join Darryl at the dyno and we will do a couple of pulls to further fine tune it (I will video these of course) and then the engine will be crated and placed in the back of my truck for the ride home.

Here are a couple of photos that Darryl sent me.

I can't wait hear it run and see the dyno results. I will fill you in on more information as I have it.

Jim
Morris, Moto One and Alfa02 like this.

Last edited by 1795; 03-29-2019 at 05:33 PM..