Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2020, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MK III, 396 Windsor
Not Ranked     
Default Tires for SPF 15"

I just purchased my 1st Cobra. SPF Sport Model # 633. It needs new tires. Current tires are Dunlap GT Qualifires Ft: P255/60 R15 R: P275/60 R15. The front tires rub on the fender a little in a sharp turn. So I'm thinking I should go down to P245 width.

Two tire stores are recommending either Cooper Cobra, or BF Goodrich Radial T/A.

Recommendations? Also can I go to a smaller width on the front and still use the same rims?
Old 04-07-2020, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

In terms of ride, handling performance and good period correct looks, with a modern radial design, your #1 choice is the Avon CR6ZZ 245 x 60 x VR15 fronts and CR6ZZ 295 x 50 VR15 rears. If you need a bigger footprint in the back to hold your power then you ought to look at the 325 x 50 R15 or the 275 x 60 R15 Nitto Extreme Drag Radials.

Here is an excellent tire size comparator that will allow you to A / B two different tire sizes, click here => Tire Size Comparator. You will find the Second Strike Gearing Calculator (<=clickable) very helpful in matching final drive ratios, tire sizes and transmission overdrives.

BF Goodrich Radial T/A tires are an accident looking for a place to happen with your car. They should not be considered. The Cooper Cobra's ar very nice tires except for their raised white lettering. As nice as they are the Avons are nicer. A good admonition is not to skimp on tires. On these cars the quickest way to the cemetery is tires that are not up to the job.

When it comes to tires you get what you pay for. Avons are the priciest of the tire choices for the car — and they are the best for their size without going to race tires.

Ed
ront49 likes this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 04-07-2020 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar
Old 04-07-2020, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     

Mickey Thompson SRS are a good option imo
Old 04-07-2020, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, 351w
Not Ranked     

Avons are top notch but come at a cost. MT’s are decent for the street.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDubU View Post
Avons are top notch but come at a cost. MT’s are decent for the street.
Avon ain’t so great for the street imo.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF Coupe #136, 427SR FI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstinson View Post
I just purchased my 1st Cobra. SPF Sport Model # 633. It needs new tires. Current tires are Dunlap GT Qualifires Ft: P255/60 R15 R: P275/60 R15. The front tires rub on the fender a little in a sharp turn. So I'm thinking I should go down to P245 width.

Two tire stores are recommending either Cooper Cobra, or BF Goodrich Radial T/A.

Recommendations? Also can I go to a smaller width on the front and still use the same rims?
Hi John,

I would recommend Cooper for the reasons the other guys stated. Several GLCC members have done Coopers and are happy. We do have a member who recently did BF TAs and he has not complained but I have heard like others they are not the best choice. If you don't like the whiteletter mount with the blackwall out.

Avons are more period correct looking, VERY sticky so expect rock slinging.

What ever you get I would suggest a tire shop with "touchless" mounting equipment otherwise you risk marring to the wheels. I had a several members use Motorwerks Luxury 3200 Walnut Lake Rd, Commerce Charter Twp, MI 48390 which is reasonable close to you.

Best regards,

Jeff
66gtk likes this.

Last edited by jeffgrice; 04-08-2020 at 04:19 AM..
Old 04-08-2020, 04:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1950, Roush 402R, TKO600
Not Ranked     

John
Take a look at the Mickey Thompson S/T's. Overall an excellent tire for the money.
IMLost likes this.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #705, Ford Racing 460 - 514ci
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastd View Post
Avon ain’t so great for the street imo.
Based on what? They are awesome for the street!
Old 04-08-2020, 04:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
John
Take a look at the Mickey Thompson S/T's. Overall an excellent tire for the money.
This would be my second choice after The Avons
IMLost likes this.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Mickey Thompson SRS are a good option imo
That tread pattern is pretty awful though
66gtk likes this.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FF Mark I, sprint car 347
Not Ranked     

Tread pattern is a matter of opinion . The M/T sr's are a great tire and perform better than the st's or the cobra tires. They really work in the twisties. Always wanted to try the Avons but do not come close to racing for the need of that stickiness. Is that a real word. Definitely stay away from radial TA's. The backend will come around way to soon on these cars without traction. Ask Karl, he has run many types of tire in low places!!!!
Old 04-08-2020, 05:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 418
Not Ranked     
Default Goodrich vs Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
In terms of ride, handling performance and good period correct looks, with a modern radial design, your #1 choice is the Avon CR6ZZ 245 x 60 x VR15 fronts and CR6ZZ 295 x 50 VR15 rears. If you need a bigger footprint in the back to hold your power then you ought to look at the 325 x 50 R15 or the 275 x 60 R15 Nitto Extreme Drag Radials.

Here is an excellent tire size comparator that will allow you to A / B two different tire sizes, click here => Tire Size Comparator. You will find the Second Strike Gearing Calculator (<=clickable) very helpful in matching final drive ratios, tire sizes and transmission overdrives.

BF Goodrich Radial T/A tires are an accident looking for a place to happen with your car. They should not be considered. The Cooper Cobra's ar very nice tires except for their raised white lettering. As nice as they are the Avons are nicer. A good admonition is not to skimp on tires. On these cars the quickest way to the cemetery is tires that are not up to the job.

When it comes to tires you get what you pay for. Avons are the priciest of the tire choices for the car — and they are the best for their size without going to race tires.

Ed
My '04 BDR came with BF Goodrich rubber...seemed to be a good tire but after 16 years it was way overdue for fresh tires. Went with the Cooper Cobra's and had the raised whites turned to the inside. Tires seem to perform very nicely, not a whole lot of noticeable difference but seem to stick a bit better.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Do not put BF Goodrich on your Cobra. Many here know why!!!
Old 04-08-2020, 06:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Congrats on your purchase. This is the beginning of a great adventure.
While I have heard all the comments regarding tires expressed here so far, a lot depends on how you plan to drive the car. Is it strictly a road car pleasure vehicle or a part time track car? That would make a great difference in the tires you choose. Drag radials have the potential to cause axle problems if used as they were intended. Sticky tires while great fun when used on a track will pickup stones and fling them against the underside of the fiberglass and cause damage to the paint that looks like stars....
Due to the age of your car there are a few things that should be looked at too. Just as a matter of safety and continued happy motoring.
There are also some simple upgrades that should be considered, things added to later year chassis. And there is one very important thing that should be checked on the rear suspension. The top shock tower mounting bracket.
Easiest thing would be to contact me directly, my contact info is below. 5 mins on the phone vs 30 mins of typing....
Blas
TN Shelby Cobra and 66gtk like this.

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 04-08-2020, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsed View Post
This would be my second choice after The Avons
I’ve had both tires and prefer the MT SRs. I actually grew to like the tread pattern and the profile of the tire “fits” better than the avons.

Problems with the Avon’s:
1. They are dangerous until they get some heat in the them. (Ask me how I know)
2. They are dangerous if the road is not bone dry. (Ask me how I know).
Old 04-08-2020, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhinoon View Post
Tread pattern is a matter of opinion . The M/T sr's are a great tire and perform better than the st's or the cobra tires. They really work in the twisties. Always wanted to try the Avons but do not come close to racing for the need of that stickiness. Is that a real word. Definitely stay away from radial TA's. The backend will come around way to soon on these cars without traction. Ask Karl, he has run many types of tire in low places!!!!
That flame tread pattern is just very tacky in my opinion. It belongs on a super custom hot rod from the 80's that has purple paint and flame paint job.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I’ve had both tires and prefer the MT SRs. I actually grew to like the tread pattern and the profile of the tire “fits” better than the avons.

OK, so how do you know? My experience with them is COMPLETELY the opposite. I'm so glad they are as sticky as they are because I know for a fact they have saved my life a few times. And they did not have heat in them, just normal driving around.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

I don't know what you mean by the profile "fits" better than Avons. The Avons are the perfect profile for a Cobra and trying to keep with a period correct fitment. The S/R's don't even come close.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i like the way the profile of the SRs better than the Avons. I recognize that your experience is different than mine. All good. Moving on.
rads42 and MLI like this.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gulf GT40 CAV137, Cobra ERA286
Not Ranked     

Avons are the way to go! I have had them all, Goodyear, BFG, Hoosier... None are as good as the Avons. Currently on both of my cars.
Attached Images

rads42 and Mongoose930 like this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: