Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-16-2021, 11:02 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Ok guys this is my $.03, Now I've only road raced for 40+years, drove tanker trucks for 30+ years, spent most of my adult life behind the wheel of something. NEVER, NEVER drive in just socks (sheeeeh) come on guys, if you have to hit the brake pedal HARD!!! Try it just sitting in your driveway, SEE IT HURTS (HUH??), and you don't have the control you would with shoes. Anyone that has heat issues with the footbox after trying these fixes (Shoes, heat shield, Nomex , etc) maybe shouldn't be a Cobra owner. Not trying to talk you out-of-one, but Cobras are LOUD, Smelly, rattly, and HOT. I hear Corvettes are nice, and comfy. Cheers TommyRot. P.S. this guy in the video, is a punts
eschaider, xb-60 and cycleguy55 like this.
Old 12-16-2021, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Even though the BDR has stainless skins riveted in the foot boxes, mine were bleeding a tar like substance in the areas nearest the headers.
While I had the headers and sidepipes out for recoating this last time I installed Aerogel XTC 5mm insulation,https://spinoff.nasa.gov/Spinoff2010/cg_2.html
BuyAerogel.com | Blankets
DEI reflective heat shielding on top as a top seal. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dei-010462
Edge sealed with Dapco2100 firewall RTV. https://skygeek.com/d-aircraft-dapc0...-bms-5-63.html
Old 12-16-2021, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupee View Post
This is right of this website and this forum so no need to gaslight this fact or bash a well-known reviewer.. It seems to be real for several owners. I'm looking for someone who has solved it.

Hi guys. I'm new. I have just finished SPF2828 and have been on the road only 2 months. It gets really hot in the drivers footwell, especially on long trips. Is that normal or can you do something about that?
Last edited by Tonkin NZ; 03-13-2009 at 03:12 AM..
"gaslight this fact"? It's either fact or it's gaslighting. Gaslighting is typically used to convince people that something is true - when it's not.

Regardless, others have pointed out the facts that: 1) aluminum is an excellent conductor of heat; 2) undercar exhaust passes right under footbox; and 3) reviewer isn't wearing shoes.

Solutions include, but are not limited to, the following:
Old 12-16-2021, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Aurora GRX
Neutral     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcowan View Post
Heat in the footbox is a real issue, and always has been. In a street Cobra, the exhaust is directly under the floorboards. In the S/C configuration, the header tubes are directly in front of the foot box. Of course some heat will end up in the foot box. Everyone who drives a Cobra knows this.

LOVED THIS :
Everyone who drives a Cobra knows this.

After reading these posts, you would not believe that statement!

Fortunately, there are a number of simple ways to mitigate that fact. As said, shoes would be the first step. But there are lots of other options if you like to drive without shoes.
Much thanks for actually stating that what my original question was, was in fact VALID!

1. ADMITTING HEAT IS AN ISSUE! thank you Lord!

I have never driven without shoes so need to go there.

I now know there are options should it be a problem when I buy a car.

CASE CLOSED!
bobcowan likes this.
Old 12-16-2021, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

So some newbie just discovered this? Geez.

The driver's footbox is hot. I wore sandals most of the time.

The passenger side is even hotter.

When someone asked me if the Cobra had a heater my response was "yes, 427 cubic inches worth".
robz_hayman likes this.
Old 12-16-2021, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF832, 466cid
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Much thanks for actually stating that what my original question was, was in fact VALID!

1. ADMITTING HEAT IS AN ISSUE! thank you Lord!

I have never driven without shoes so need to go there.

I now know there are options should it be a problem when I buy a car.

CASE CLOSED!
There is water at the bottom of the ocean.....
Old 12-16-2021, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NROTOXIN View Post
There is water at the bottom of the ocean.....
So you say!

I would want to see YOU prove that actually!

thx
Old 12-16-2021, 06:40 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

I have five plus years and over 11,000 miles in my SPF 289 Street Roadster (I too hate the "slabside" moniker). Yes, as the exhaust runs close to the pedal box under the car heat will radiate to the pedal shaft and thus to the alloy plate that covers the floor opening. We found that either DEI or Dynamat heat mat will reduce the heat. Lizardskin spay heat treatment also will help. Still if you are in socks it will be warm but not nasty. A big block roadster is even worse, a friend that owned CSX3327 has imprints of the "AC" pedal logos on his sneakers after a trip to Watkins Glen (about 125 miles). Also some cars need some sealing of the outer footboxes to the body to prevent engine compartment heat infiltrating the cockpit. Regardless, the SPF insulation is far superior to the AC non-existent heat treatment.

The optional footbox vents are very effective and if equipped you can run the heater blower with the heat valve closed to circulate air in the footboxes. My wife has never complained and believe me she would.

Bottom line: We have several 289s running around have had no complaints of heat from the owners.
Harpoon PV2 likes this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/

Last edited by Mark IV; 12-16-2021 at 06:43 PM..
Old 12-16-2021, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
So you say!

thx
There is aluminium in sea water.
Ergo…. that water is probably hot 🤪
Old 12-16-2021, 08:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF832, 466cid
Not Ranked     

Quote:
So you say!

thx
If it was a YouTube video you'd believe.
scottj likes this.
Old 12-16-2021, 08:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcowan View Post
Heat in the footbox is a real issue, and always has been. In a street Cobra, the exhaust is directly under the floorboards. In the S/C configuration, the header tubes are directly in front of the foot box. Of course some heat will end up in the foot box. Everyone who drives a Cobra knows this.

Fortunately, there are a number of simple ways to mitigate that fact. As said, shoes would be the first step. But there are lots of other options if you like to drive without shoes.
Appreciated.

Once I purchase something I can do a further investigation if needed

thx
Old 12-16-2021, 08:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by NROTOXIN View Post
If it was a YouTube video you'd believe.
That was posted as an attempt at an original thought?
Old 12-17-2021, 08:20 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
That was posted as an attempt at an original thought?
Disclaimer: This is not a personal attack, just an observation:

With all of the other youtube video's covering the 289 street roadsters, you unfortunately picked the worst one. The start of the video, when he does not have the mechanical or mental ability to put the key in the ignition (after he took it out before the first take) is your your first clue. Choosing to not drive the car with at least a pair of sandals on was your second clue. Quite frankly, I spent a little time reviewing his other driving videos and did not get a warm and fuzzy feeling on his abilities.

Just my two cents worth, having 100,000+ miles, both street and track (documented) in the various cobra replicas I've owned since 2000.....

My sound advice, find someone or a club, close to you who has a car similar to what you are looking for, speak with them about their experiences, and just how they like or dislike certain items about their cars. Not all replicas are the same, each has it's own quirks when being built, and driven. Mostly, based on the owner, or originals builders personal tastes.

Most of all, enjoy the ride.

Bill S.

PS: I suggest adding a location to your profile, as there may just be an owner you don't known about in your general area that will read this thread and be gracious enough to want to assist.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 12-17-2021, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post

With all of the other youtube video's covering the 289 street roadsters, you unfortunately picked the worst one. The start of the video, when he does not have the mechanical or mental ability to put the key in the ignition (after he took it out before the first take) is your your first clue. Choosing to not drive the car with at least a pair of sandals on was your second clue. Quite frankly, I spent a little time reviewing his other driving videos and did not get a warm and fuzzy feeling on his abilities.

My sound advice, find someone or a club, close to you who has a car similar to what you are looking for, speak with them about their experiences, and just how they like or dislike certain items about their cars. Not all replicas are the same, each has it's own quirks when being built, and driven. Mostly, based on the owner, or originals builders personal tastes.

PS: I suggest adding a location to your profile, as there may just be an owner you don't known about in your general area that will read this thread and be gracious enough to want to assist.
Bill: I agree about the guy in the video. I've seen a lot of car review videos, and his classifies more as entertainment than enlightenment. When I say 'entertainment', I mean like cat videos or trains heading toward each other on the same track. Sometimes comical, sometimes disastrous. If I were doing a video like that with any modicum of self-respect, I'd edit out the idiocy of fumbling with the keys - and I'd never drive without proper footwear.

Regardless, your "sound advice" is sound advice, as is your postscript. Finding someone who actually owns and lives with one of these cars is far better than some YouTube clown who is more interested in 'likes' and 'thumbs ups' for his videos than he is about fairly presenting the automobile.
NROTOXIN and Alfa02 like this.
Old 12-17-2021, 03:51 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Disclaimer: This is not a personal attack, just an observation:

Just my two cents worth, having 100,000+ miles, both street and track (documented) in the various cobra replicas I've owned since 2000.....

Most of all, enjoy the ride.

Bill S.

And note that he owns this:
Attached Images

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 12-17-2021, 03:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Closing comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
Ok guys this is my $.03, Now I've only road raced for 40+years, drove tanker trucks for 30+ years, spent most of my adult life behind the wheel of something. NEVER, NEVER drive in just socks (sheeeeh) come on guys, if you have to hit the brake pedal HARD!!! Try it just sitting in your driveway, SEE IT HURTS (HUH??), and you don't have the control you would with shoes. Anyone that has heat issues with the footbox after trying these fixes (Shoes, heat shield, Nomex , etc) maybe shouldn't be a Cobra owner. Not trying to talk you out-of-one, but Cobras are LOUD, Smelly, rattly, and HOT. I hear Corvettes are nice, and comfy. Cheers TommyRot. P.S. this guy in the video, is a punts

Seriously, What is the obsession with beating this stupid mention of driving without shoes to death?

That has absolutely nothing to do with my question which has been completely deflected and ignored by most for some reason.

Let's get a few facts here:

The individual is a popular auto reviewer, note, I did not say "respected" because we know that his million subscribers are all posers right?

2. He said, he was NOT wearing shoes due to the fact he could not heel-toe due to the pedal placement in the CAR THAt SUPERFORMANCE GAVE HIM TO REVIEW! - Maybe read that twice.

3. Note: He did not say his normal pattern before every review is to remove his shoes since he is some kind of monk perhaps.

I have posted comments several times from real people who were WEARING SHOES that stated the dam heat build-up in the footwell can be a problem for some, extreme for some, and not even present for some.

Some of you I see really took this personally and have embarrassed yourselves by making his foot attire the issue!

IT AINT!!!

I'll drive a few and buy one or two and report back.

I am sorry that asking a simple question was met with far more attitude than helpful information.

And my fav is the judgemental comment about me being a newbie. Really?

I would love to share some pics but cannot seem to get posted.

Good thing I didn't ask a political question!

thx again for the guidance.
Old 12-17-2021, 03:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
And note that he owns this:
Love the car and a good idea on the location!

thx

*Actually, I picked the best video because I got a good intro to how NEWBIES are treated.

thx
Old 12-17-2021, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Matt Farah's review of a car he claimed to be a real Ferrari 250 GTO that was actually a replica built on a Datsun 240Z: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/th...50-gto.286464/ He claimed he saw the 12 cylinder motor right up until the time he was murdered by a cruel gang of facts on a few forums. Regarding heat protection, I've used the DEI stuff on my Healey, it really protects against the muffler heat.
cycleguy55 and Alfa02 like this.

My SBF Austin-Healey build:
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264
Old 12-17-2021, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealeyRick View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Matt Farah's review of a car he claimed to be a real Ferrari 250 GTO that was actually a replica built on a Datsun 240Z: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/th...50-gto.286464/ He claimed he saw the 12 cylinder motor right up until the time he was murdered by a cruel gang of facts on a few forums. Regarding heat protection, I've used the DEI stuff on my Healey, it really protects against the muffler heat.
yes, another really good rant on F Chat!
Old 12-17-2021, 04:24 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Love the car and a good idea on the location!

thx

*Actually, I picked the best video because I got a good intro to how NEWBIES are treated.

thx
Perhaps you failed to see THIS THREAD labeled "Newbies Read this".

You came here asking for advice from those of us with real world experience, you did so with a slight chip on your shoulder when we took apart your "posted example" (an ineptly produced example that cannot be quantified) and continue to defend the video and the commentator (as if you are somehow attached to them) within. I suggest you take a giant step back, a deep breath, and perhaps look at it from the perspective of those who are actually trying to assist. Now, stop once again, and reread the thread in which I posted above in this very post. You still have time to recreate your first impression here, I suggest getting yourself together, remove the chip on your shoulder, and start from the beginning. Again, this is my personal observation and sound advice based on it. Either you get where I am coming from, or you do not. However, how you respond from this point forwards will tell us whether or not you do.

Bill S.
cycleguy55 and Alfa02 like this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS

Last edited by mrmustang; 12-17-2021 at 04:28 PM..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: