Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Superformance (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/superformance/)
-   -   Hot hot is hot? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/superformance/145474-hot-hot-hot.html)

Chupee 12-15-2021 06:59 PM

How hot is hot?

While I want to grab one of the MK 11 I am still concerned about this horrific heat issue on the feet I keep hearing about. I was disappointed to see it brought up in this popular review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90v4o73CFBg

At 12:58 it is PAINFUL!

How do we put this issue to bed once and for all?

thx

NROTOXIN 12-15-2021 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chupee (Post 1500881)
While I want to grab one of the MK 11 I am still concerned about this horrific heat issue on the feet I keep hearing about. I was disappointed to see it brought up in this popular review.

thx

You start by wearing shoes like a normal person.

Chupee 12-15-2021 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NROTOXIN (Post 1500882)
You start by wearing shoes like a normal person.

Hilarious! I have seen that same exact issue many times, but thanks for the note!

xb-60 12-15-2021 07:39 PM

That's aluminium sheet metal that he has his right heel on most of the time.
The heat transfer coefficient for aluminium alloy is very high..... so that's a starting point ;)

Cheers!
Glen

hauss 12-15-2021 07:41 PM

I would say maybe it is just me but I found this video to be lame. Not at all what I experience driving my backdraft 427. If you ever drove a gokart that is more like my experience . sticks to the road very firm and nothng can touch it.

Chupee 12-15-2021 08:27 PM

Really?

Quote:

Originally Posted by xb-60 (Post 1500887)
That's aluminium sheet metal that he has his right heel on most of the time.
The heat transfer coefficient for aluminium alloy is very high..... so that's a starting point ;)

Cheers!
Glen

This is right of this website and this forum so no need to gaslight this fact or bash a well-known reviewer.. It seems to be real for several owners. I'm looking for someone who has solved it.

Hi guys. I'm new. I have just finished SPF2828 and have been on the road only 2 months. It gets really hot in the drivers footwell, especially on long trips. Is that normal or can you do something about that?
Last edited by Tonkin NZ; 03-13-2009 at 03:12 AM..

xb-60 12-15-2021 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chupee (Post 1500891)
This is right of this website and this forum so no need to gaslight this fact or bash a well-known reviewer......

Chupee,
Not sure where you're coming from with this. That car has an aluminium alloy plate and the exhaust runs directly under it. The aluminium is hot, not surprisingly.
Are you concerned about the "horrific heat issue" or not?

This forum is useful for helping people with issues, not for gaslighting.

Cheers,
Glen

Chupee 12-15-2021 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xb-60 (Post 1500892)
Chupee,
Not sure where you're coming from with this. That car has an aluminium alloy plate and the exhaust runs directly under it. The aluminium is hot, not surprisingly.
Are you concerned about the "horrific heat issue" or not?

This forum is useful for helping people with issues, not for gaslighting.

Cheers,
Glen

That is exactly what I am concerned with Glen. So your response to my question is to simply blame this noticeable footwell heat issue on the aluminum plate correct?

Thanks. Ill reach out to the manufacturer to get their take on it.

Harpoon PV2 12-15-2021 09:53 PM

There's no such thing as a Slabside Cobra!

NROTOXIN 12-15-2021 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chupee (Post 1500886)
Hilarious! I have seen that same exact issue many times, but thanks for the note!

You've seen it or lived it? Your the one asking. So ask this, how many people drive their Cobras without shoes

Back in May, 2019, at Laguna Seca, six months before Ford vs Ferrari movie debut, I talked for a while with the stunt driver for Christian Bale that played Ken Miles. He drove the #98 white Superformance in the move and later on took it home as his own. He never once complained, made mention of a hot foot like this guy did. Becouse he probably never drove the thing in his socks.

mrmustang 12-16-2021 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chupee (Post 1500881)

thx

As with any Cobra or even a Caterham replica, a little knowledge goes a long way. I agree that the video is a bit lame, and the hot feet he is experiencing is of his own design (IE: no shoes). If you choose to make your decision from this one video, and not seek out others is your conscious decision.

My sound advice:
1: Search out actual owners who drive their cars
2: If still concerned CLICK HERE for the simple and elegant solution (gets installed under the carpet)
3: Get in, turn the key, and enjoy the ride

Hope you find this helpful.

Bill S.

As far

1795 12-16-2021 04:05 AM

I race a 289 FIA and have never come off of the track complaining that my feet were too hot; of course they wouldn't let me race in socks either! :rolleyes: That's with me keeping the rpm's between 4,000-7,500 rpms all the time, you will not be driving like that on the road.

As Bill said, go for a ride with appropriate foot wear and see how it feels. If you think it is too hot, then there are fixes. But don't worry too much about what might occur, test it out first.

Jim

1985 CCX 12-16-2021 05:09 AM

I dont even have carpet in mine, my footbox is glass with alloy plate.
Solution is to wear shoes, simple solution to this issue..
Think in my state that it is a law anyway, for any car.

Are foot box warm = yes
Is it a concern = not with shoes
I like this guy that reviews however you have to question his choices.
I dont drive in socks ever, none of my cars.

If you are a sock driver maybe get another car as this is not for you.
Maybe a Tesla?

DanEC 12-16-2021 05:09 AM

What a tool ( in the video) - wear some shoes you idiot.

Unique427 12-16-2021 06:04 AM

What I gathered from that video.............

Your first clue how that video would play out began when
he fumbled and complained about the ignition key for almost
a minute. That's amateurish and dumb to put on camera.

Video guy apparently never met a sandwich he didn't like
and henceforth must have Hobbit feet. We all know Cobra
pedal positions do not play well with Sasquatch footed drivers.
So, reviewer elects to roll in stocking feet (which is retarded)
instead of investing in proper slim profile driving shoes.
The Sparco SL-17 makes for a comfortable $100 driving shoe.
https://www.sparcousa.com/product/sl17

Just a thought, would a set of carpet+rubber backed pattern
made floor mats from Cocomats.com help alleviate the heat issue
and provide a thermal barrier?
https://www.cocomats.com/nylon-6-6-mats/

jhv48 12-16-2021 07:29 AM

I have spf 2932 with a 427 small block, and I only drive barefooted. Never had a problem with footbox heat in over 36,000 miles.
Did spf change something in the footbox insulation between your build and mine? Perhaps some insulation was left out before they laid your carpet?

Chupee 12-16-2021 07:40 AM

Hmmmmm....

https://www.ffcars.com/threads/cockpit-heat.284055/

Larry H. Miller (previous owner of the Utah Jazz and Larry H. Miller car dealerships in the western states and believed to have the largest private collection of C*br*s, 15 of them, in the world before his death) lost three toes because of the heat. His experience was not in an FFR, but instead in CSX3032. And his problem was at least partly due to the symptoms of sugar diabetes.

Larry took John Stockton out to his new track to drive CSX3032. Larry drove first and then let John drive. John drove for quite some time and when they were done Larry's feet were burned so bad they were bloody. He didn't feel it because of the diabetes.

Anyway, the potential for heat is real. Follow the advice of insulating the foot boxes.

Cobrakeith 12-16-2021 08:04 AM

Add some heat shield in the area your heel contacts the aluminium or carpet if you have carpet like mrmustang suggests but if you wear shoes like a sane person then the foam or rubber heel between your heel and the floor should shield you nicely.

Chupee 12-16-2021 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harpoon PV2 (Post 1500895)
There's no such thing as a Slabside Cobra!

Perhaps you should inform Superformance of that fact!

thx a lot.

https://www.hillbankusa.com/vehicles...-289-slab-side

1963 Cobra Superformance MKII 289 Slab Side

bobcowan 12-16-2021 09:52 AM

Heat in the footbox is a real issue, and always has been. In a street Cobra, the exhaust is directly under the floorboards. In the S/C configuration, the header tubes are directly in front of the foot box. Of course some heat will end up in the foot box. Everyone who drives a Cobra knows this.

Fortunately, there are a number of simple ways to mitigate that fact. As said, shoes would be the first step. :) But there are lots of other options if you like to drive without shoes.