Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2022, 08:57 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

The plot thickens:

It appears SC has no issues with the titling of the car, even printed out a duplicate title for me today (buyer had already filled in his on back, thus negating the validity of the title) and issued me a new registration/tag, so I'm back on the road, or will be once I re-tech the car since it was out of my hands for a few days.

I'm waiting for a call back from the Maryland DMV/MVS office so I can get an email address to send all documents from inception to now. Then let them decide on what to do with all of it.

I really don't want to rock the boat, but if this is going to be an issue moving forwards, regardless of whether I sell it or not, it's got to be addressed now, and rock the boat I shall since all of my legal ducks are neatly in a row.

For Sale-2019 Superformance 289 roadster $115,000

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 07-14-2022, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1984 Aurora Cobra Mark II #153
Not Ranked     

Bill,
As someone who has owned 31 replica Cobras, you have a much better understanding on how to deal with this process than anyone who is not a dealer. Best of luck.

It is a beautiful car. I got to see it in person last month.

Michael Briggs
Mach 1 Fan
Old 07-14-2022, 10:02 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach 1 Fan View Post
Bill,
As someone who has owned 31 replica Cobras, you have a much better understanding on how to deal with this process than anyone who is not a dealer. Best of luck.

It is a beautiful car. I got to see it in person last month.

Michael Briggs
Mach 1 Fan
Thanks

Spoke with two nice people at the Maryland MVS customer service center, it appears that when the original owner moved to Maryland from California and then transferred the title (they have a record of this in their system, unknown why it does not show up in national database) to his name there, they had to force the VIN through, they do not have an open investigation at this time, but did forward my contact information to the main title division office for them to see what the story is so we can then straighten things out. The second person who assisted me seemed to think that the documentation I have going all the way back to the original MSO, along with my current (legally obtained) title here in SC gives me the upper hand vs the "64 Lotus" (6 digits for an Elan, 9 digits for a "7" starting with S37SB).

I can easily see a series of mis-typing of the Lotus VIN in their system, which sent me down this rabbit hole. We will see what they can find and go from there.

In the mean time, SC has affirmed the validity of not only my VIN, but my clear title in hand.

Bill S.

Old 07-14-2022, 11:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
For Sale-2019 Superformance 289 roadster $115,000
I'm not all up to date on the differences between the CSX8000 and the SPF 289 Roadster, but the silver/red CSX8036 just sold for $176,000. Is it $61,000 better? They're both fiberglass.

And please no lectures about one being a real Shelby. I get that there's a premium for the name, even though my view may be a bit different.

Are you selling it too cheap?
Old 07-14-2022, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

This whole story ads to the provenance
Old 07-14-2022, 05:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

This whole story adds to the provenance
Old 07-14-2022, 05:55 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I'm not all up to date on the differences between the CSX8000 and the SPF 289 Roadster, but the silver/red CSX8036 just sold for $176,000. Is it $61,000 better? They're both fiberglass.

And please no lectures about one being a real Shelby. I get that there's a premium for the name, even though my view may be a bit different.

Are you selling it too cheap?
There are very minor differences between the SPF and CSX 289 roadsters, mostly never seen by the naked eye. However, in the case of the silver car, I know Mark, and the car has a lot of nice details that take it over and above a SPF. Dash details are the top of the list, it did a really nice job of taking the dash and making it closer to original than the standard SPF/CSX layout. My fuel filler cap is a closer representation to the original vs his, AC knock offs add another touch, where mine are not currently marked with the AC logo. Lucas headlights and clear front lenses (I have the front lenses coming in, unsure whether I want the Lucas Tri lenses or not), AC pedals instead of the SPF ones on my car (an easy change if I truly wanted, just not that important), mt trunk is carpeted, where the Silver car shows off the aluminum panels, his engine compartment has the proper overflow tank, mine does not, he has the fuse cover installed, mine is sitting in the glove box.

Other than that, not including the CSX number, they are pretty much identical in nature and build. I'd say less than $3,000 in updates to make it closer to the silver CSX8000 series car. Change out the 1 wire alternator and install V belt pullies. Black distributor cap, and proper wires, sandblast the valve covers, and install the fuse block covers that Rick Muck sourced for me.

Bill S.

Last edited by mrmustang; 07-14-2022 at 05:58 PM..
Old 07-14-2022, 08:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Here's an SPF 289 with 3,000 miles marked sold at Hillbank for $130,000.

https://www.hillbankusa.com/vehicles/610/1962-cobra-289
Old 07-14-2022, 09:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Aurora GRX
Not Ranked     

Wow!!!!!
Old 07-15-2022, 03:07 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Here's an SPF 289 with 3,000 miles marked sold at Hillbank for $130,000.

https://www.hillbankusa.com/vehicles/610/1962-cobra-289
WOW indeed

Old 07-15-2022, 09:43 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     
Lightbulb

Just got off the phone with Maryland DMV/MVS investigation division, the young lady I spoke with advised that there is no investigation at all, and that it is possible, with vehicle VIN's that are shorter than 11-17 digits, of having multiple vehicles with the same VIN. I've never heard of this occurring before, but the way it was explained to me was that if a state (any state), at any time, issues or reissues a VIN in a format of their choosing, this can cause the notes in the AAMVA (American Association of Motor Vehicle Administration). I've ordered a report so I can have a copy in my file, will be reaching out to the SC DMV/MVS to see if they are opening anything, or want to notate in their system, or call Maryland......Pretty much a lot of drama, all leading up to absolutely nothing substantial.

Will update if I hear anything back from any of the associations or government entities. Just remember, this is our tax dollars at work

Bill S.

Old 07-15-2022, 10:00 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Just got off the phone with Maryland DMV/MVS investigation division, the young lady I spoke with advised that there is no investigation at all, and that it is possible, with vehicle VIN's that are shorter than 11-17 digits, of having multiple vehicles with the same VIN. I've never heard of this occurring before, but the way it was explained to me was that if a state (any state), at any time, issues or reissues a VIN in a format of their choosing, this can cause the notes in the AAMVA (American Association of Motor Vehicle Administration).
Before 1954 there were no VIN rules at all. Between 1954 and 1981 there were almost no VIN rules at all.
Old 07-15-2022, 11:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Just got off the phone with Maryland DMV/MVS investigation division, the young lady I spoke with advised that there is no investigation at all, and that it is possible, with vehicle VIN's that are shorter than 11-17 digits, of having multiple vehicles with the same VIN. I've never heard of this occurring before, but the way it was explained to me was that if a state (any state), at any time, issues or reissues a VIN in a format of their choosing, this can cause the notes in the AAMVA (American Association of Motor Vehicle Administration). I've ordered a report so I can have a copy in my file, will be reaching out to the SC DMV/MVS to see if they are opening anything, or want to notate in their system, or call Maryland......Pretty much a lot of drama, all leading up to absolutely nothing substantial.

Will update if I hear anything back from any of the associations or government entities. Just remember, this is our tax dollars at work

Bill S.
So was this a case of buyer's remorse and he just used this as a way to bail? What if you'd said give me 30 days to get it straightened out and if we can't ill refund. Or did you really just not want to sell?
Old 07-15-2022, 12:57 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
So was this a case of buyer's remorse and he just used this as a way to bail? What if you'd said give me 30 days to get it straightened out and if we can't ill refund. Or did you really just not want to sell?
Could be one of the above, or all of the above, who is to say. I was 1.5 hours into a 12 hour drive to Tennessee, dropped those plans and stepped up to the plate immediately and did what I thought was the right thing to do. It was a tough call which to sell, so at this point in time I've put the FIA in the classifieds to see where that may take me. No downside of owning one vs the other in my eyes, SWMBO preferred the FIA, which is why the roadster went up on the market first. This time around, I'm just viewing it as fate telling me I made the wrong decision the first time and is now giving me a 2nd chance to rectify the situation.

Bill S.
sgianino, Sargie and Harpoon PV2 like this.

Old 07-17-2022, 07:00 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Both cars now in the classifieds, with my lower back issues, I cannot easily push around a car on the wheel dollies to play "automotive tetris" when we want to take something out. One sells, the other gets a reprieve. They both simultaneously sell, a deposit awaits my order slot for a BRG FIA built just the way I want it Again, no downside any way I see it

Bill S.
rustyrims and Chupee like this.

Old 07-19-2022, 09:44 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Both cars now in the classifieds, with my lower back issues, I cannot easily push around a car on the wheel dollies to play "automotive tetris" when we want to take something out. One sells, the other gets a reprieve. They both simultaneously sell, a deposit awaits my order slot for a BRG FIA built just the way I want it Again, no downside any way I see it

Bill S.
Well if you sell one or both of your cars, I noticed a nice looking ERA FIA on BaT today.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-cobra-289fia/

Old 07-19-2022, 10:39 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntCobra View Post
Well if you sell one or both of your cars, I noticed a nice looking ERA FIA on BaT today.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-cobra-289fia/
Missing some of the options my FIA and roadster have, plus, it's black, and black is the last color I would expect to find on a Cobra that gets street or track driven as much as I drive all of my convertibles.

Bill S
Harpoon PV2 and Chupee like this.