Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2006, 10:07 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

I believe this is a good idea. I find myself referencing both SCOF and CC to help me with my SPF, and the knowledge gained in both places cannot be found in any shop manual. Both contain decent, knowledgeable people and the interface on SCOF is not as bad as some make it to be. In fact, quite a number of SCOF members also post a lot of excellent advice within the pages of CC.

-Dean #747
Old 10-01-2006, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2540
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by drj
Well, let's see SPF 2489 is now taking an extended vacation in Malaysia (and hopefully missing the typhoon) so we are now -24 days out from taking possession rather than -16 days. So close, and yet so far . . .
DrJ, maybe we need to start the SPF Waiters Club Support Forum. . At least you've got an official number
Old 10-01-2006, 06:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

spf2218 is basically a street version. Undercar exhaust. No stripes. Custom painted Ivy Green Metallic (a custom color option in 65 and 66)
It does have a shorty black role bar and a hood scoop. The scoop is so the engine/aircleaner would fit better/easier, and to help let heat out of the enginebay when the car was turned off.
My wife and I really enjoy the car. We have put 4400 since we got it, a little over a year ago. But, it has only been legal for about six months.
My favorite area to drive the car is in Upstate Ny. 200-300 miles from where we live. For example we were in Watkins Glen a couple weeks ago. Hung out with some great folks from here and elsewhere. (Roushac, Jim Kellog, Erol Walsh, Ken Arters etc...) Vintage Grand Prix.
The roads are big enough to exercise these cars, with a whole lot less traffic. And the scenery is awesome.
Enginewise I am running is a 406 in Windsor. Real plain looking on the ouside, but very nicely equiped on the inside Lentz rods from Yates etc... Not a total animal but plenty for the street IMO. TKO 600.
Anyone in area wants to cruise, lmk. There is a Rally Oct 15 right near me that will be a blast. Any interest, pm me.
JB
Old 10-01-2006, 06:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2056, 515 HP ROUSH 402R
Not Ranked     

Brent.................. Thanks For Giving Us Our Own Place. Spf 2056 Also Thanks You. After 18 Mos Of Pure Driving Pleasure The Smile Is Still As Big As The 1st Day Coming Home.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb

Jim,

I'm not much of a picture guy during fabrication, but I will make up a good assembly portfolio for those that follow .

Right now I am putting the finishing touches on the package. The process was longer than it had to be because I've never owned a Ford product. Always raced Chrysler powered cars so I had a lot of learning to do in terms of dumb things like what motor mounts look like.

The Superformance guys told me there are less then five Modular powered SPF cars in the country. The limited adoption didn't bother me too much because I figured I'd just fabricate what I needed if it wasn't available. That mind set and a lack of familiarity with the looks of Ford parts cost me a lot of time building things like guess what, motor mounts among other things.

Turns out SPF made an adapter that uses Chevy rat motor mounts on a 4.6 to allow it to bolt right up to what looks to be 351W chassis mounts and the SPF stuff works real good. If I knew what the adapters were when I first saw them it would have saved me several in and out sessions with the set up block and heads.

Finding the right pieces at reasonable prices from reliable sources always adds a little to the build timewise, but that's part of the fun of putting them together. The finished piece should be about 500 to 520 HP at the tires with a real flat torque curve that gives around 550 lbs/ft from basically 2000 rpm onward.

Other interesting tidbits: as a Chrysler guy I didn't know clutch forks in Modular motors didn't push back to disengage untill I started to assemble the bellhousing to the motor. Wow revelation time, and clutch linkage redesign time.

All in all it's been fun. Can't wait to drive it. Looks like about Christmas for the first outing, time permitting.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2387, 427 W, Webers
Not Ranked     
Default miles on #2387

Since mid April when new I have over 3k Miles on #2387. That is more than 3k sssSSSsssMiles!! Only problem is all that fuel, I'm getting about 7-8MPG with my efficient driving style. 427W stroker with 48IDA's+ Heavy right foot = Stop for Fuel every 120 mi.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None at this time sold the last one
Not Ranked     

This question has been probably answered many times but if someone knows a thread I can go to I want to modify the exhaust on my SPF, exhaust noise does't bother me ( I am hard of hearing anyhow, so what difference will it make) and I am seeking performance, the original pipes sound as if there is a lot of material floating around in it. Also the headers look like they could use some changing, I am running a Roush 427 (small block stroker) with fuel injection, looking for more performance.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, #930, 351W/427CID 419 RWHP (before the Webers!)
Not Ranked     

See: http://www.stainless-specialties.com/products2a.htm

Looks great but you will consider ear plugs!!
Terry Brown SPF #930 427W 419 RWHP 48 IDA Webers

"Remember, your car will not be more valuable after Track Day than it is the day before the event" - Eric W. instructional presentation on Track Day safety, 05/15/2008 WSCB
Old 10-03-2006, 09:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2046; P.E. Aluminum 427 Windsor.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kellogg
Wondering how long you folks have had your SPF, and how many miles "you" have put on it?
SPF 2046 is almost two years old with 11,000 happy miles on her. Replaced a water temp guage at 200 miles and a sidepipe at 10,000 miles. Still grinning!
Old 10-04-2006, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #095, w/ 1966 428
Not Ranked     

I'm soo happy! Thanks guys!
Old 10-10-2006, 03:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD
Not Ranked     

Great an SPF area,

I owned and sold SPF 343 and have GT40 #36 on order, building the Aluminum 427 windsor based engine with Webers right now. So I do not have an SPF now but, will soon. BTW the GT will be painted this week in South Africa it will look exactly like the 1969 version in this link.

SCOF kicked me out after I sold #343.

http://www.legacydiecast.com/xq/asp/...akeListing.htm

Tony R.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #867 gone....
Not Ranked     
Default Cool forum

Thanks Brent!
I too am a SCOF member but can't fight through the mess of threads and barrage of emails. The CC format is superior.
I bought SPF #867 in March 2006 from a guy in Columbus, OH with 5100 miles. Since then I've put 1100 miles on her, including a 3hr trip to Austin. With 3.73 rear end and the TKO's giant 5th gear, I got 20.02 mpg! My wife's Explorer only got 18. That 5th gear puts me at 2100 rpm at 80 mph, 5800 rpm at 150 mph. But I love the low end pop of the 3.73 from redlight to redlight. Only thing I've put on her is 17" wheels, Carroll Shelby's autograph on the glovebox and a big grin.
Love it, love it, love it. Pics in my gallery.
Lots of SPF's in Dallas area.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 514 ci
Not Ranked     

Wait a minute Tony....scof kicked you out????? I am a member of scof and have been since the very beginning of the forum. We don't kick people out. We have rules that each person must abide by of which one is actual ownership of a SPF car. If you sold your car, you effectively resigned your membership. Feel free to join back up when you get another car.

MadMiles, I appreciate Brents contribution to the SPF owners too. CC is a great site but keeping up with what is going on requires me to check a bunch of different threads on a bunch of different forums and then keep checking back to see what has happened since the last time I checked. Thankfully, Brent has it set up to send me an email when someone has responded on a thread that I took the time to reply to. However, the ones I am simply watching (and not repling to) requires me to check back over and over.

With scof, I just open my email up and along with Brent's emails that tell me there is some action on some particular thread, I have every comment made by every member of scof listed by subject in chronilogical order. I can delete any subject that does not interest me but I read almost every one and can do it in half the time it takes to even try to keep up on CC. That is not a slam against CC but perhaps if you are struggling with scof you simply need some help in managing the scof messages. There are two email methods or you can go to the web site and just monitor what you want (much like here on CC). Again, I agree that CC is a great site for general purposes, chit chat and cobra information on a broad scale. As a matter of fact, there is nothing better out there that I know about. But as far as keeping up with what is going on within the SPF community, car improvements and tech assistance, CC certainly cannot be called superior within that small scope. When it comes to SPF specifically, scof cannot be beat......period.

I am not trying to convert anyone who is not "into" scof. Hey, it is not for everybody for a variety of reasons. That said, many on scof place more value on scof membership than they do their cars. Many would never consider a different brand because of the level of enjoyment scof adds to their SPF ownership. There are approximately 2800 SPF owners and only about 600 - 700 on scof and it is NOT because the other 2000 + tried it and dropped out. I would hate to see a new SPF owner who has never heard about scof or experienced it for themseves not join because they received a bad impression about it here on CC.

Brent, thanks again for giving us SPF guys our own sandbox to play in and I hope everyone takes my comments in the spirit they are intended.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:30 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary osborne
But as far as keeping up with what is going on within the SPF community, car improvements and tech assistance, CC certainly cannot be called superior within that small scope. When it comes to SPF specifically, SCOF cannot be beat......period.
That is a factual statement. CC answers many of my broader questions, but my higher level SPF-specific knowledge has been gained at SCOF. It's a living and breathing shop manual.

-Dean #747
Old 10-19-2006, 07:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Wow - reading through some of the comments here on CC about SCOF...its interesting to learn about the very strong benefits and constraints of such a forum. On the constraint side, I can't imagine what would happen if something top secret managed to get out of the forum about a replica car to a non-owner. I wonder if there are any contigency plans should that ever happen.

It sure is a good thing we have ClubCobra.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2387, 427 W, Webers
Not Ranked     
Default Top Secret

I don't think it is an issue of "top secret" as much as an issue of keeping the "tire kickers" from clouding the forum with comments about cars they don't own and will never actually have in their garages. Not a snob thing just eliminating a bunch of comments from non owners. I get great information from CC and SCOF both. Different groups with different objectives, that's all. Can you imagnie what would result if some SPF hater began posting lies on the SCOF forum which were designed to make owners question the quality of their cars? Nobody would do that would they? I think you know some people would, just for fun...to watch the fallout. By requiring proof of ownership the SCOF site makes it possible for honest communication to occur without juvenile pranks being thrown about. SPF#2387
Old 10-19-2006, 09:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD
Not Ranked     

Hello Gary,

Just to understand better, your message to me is if you do not own an SPF your knowledge experience and technical abilities are irrelevant?

I hated the blizzard of Emails and the back and forth banter that filled my inbox from SCOF. Granted there is a great deal of knowledge about the SPF products available but along with the valuable wheat kernals an enormous amount of chaff was generated. It seems that if you did not completely support the position, opinion and perspective of the operators you were considered unwelcome and your position, opinion and perspective were not viable.

I was kicked out of of SCOF as a former owner of an SPF product, I would have welcomed the opportunity to continue to participate but, was personna non grata.

Thanks Brent for the SPF area here in Club Cobra.

Tony R.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2457, Sunset Red/Titanium Stripes,460FR, SCJA, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

All clubs have rules and members agree to abide by the rules and should abide by those rules. SCOF requires ownership of a Superformance to participate in their forum and if you no longer have a SPF, you cannot participate. SCOF doesn't "kick you out", you kick yourself out when you no longer meet the requirement for membership.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Tony,
Regarding the volume of emails you get each day from the SCOF site:
If you learn how to use the email filters on your computers email program, you can easily redirect all incoming emails to separate folders in your computer’s emails in-basket.
Example: If you filter all your incoming emails for the words “SCOF” or “Superformance” You can redirect all of them to a separate inbox folder called “cobra” or “SCOF” or something like that….
Furthermore, you can also automatically filter these redirected emails by also filtering for the ones that say ”Non Tech” or something like that, in the subject line of the email message, and send them directly to your deleted folder.
Now you have reduced the volume of “SCOF” emails each day to make them more manageable in number.
As to who is allowed to access the SCOF site….as with any group, some rules are needed to keep a measure of organization and focus. And yes, we loose a great deal of expertise when a member sells the car and leaves SCOF…Maybe that’s where Club Cobra’s Superformance sight will find it’s nitch…. Current & past owners sharing their SPF knowledge.
I'll also note that my money is as good as anyone else’s money at stores like “COSCO” and “Sam’s Club” but I can’t go shop there because I’m not a member….and I have no problem with that.
Saying “kicked off” only adds tension to the Cobra owner’s community….Perhaps, just an unintentional poor choice of words…
I hope everyone will feel free to share their SPF knowledge here with everyone else…and it’s nice to have a unique SPF area the potential SPF buyers can ask questions that might get lost in the larges CC area and go unanswered. This site should put an end to the controversy… I hope….
Old 10-19-2006, 02:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

...perhaps we can continue this debate, if necessary, about the pro's and con's of SCOF on a new thread in the SPF area?

thanks
ron
ClubCobra Moderator