Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2006, 05:58 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

[sarcasm filter on]Hey! There's an idea! Let's drag the dead horse to the SPF area and beat it some more over there![/sarcasm filter off]
Old 10-20-2006, 07:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Cobra SC, 514CID
Not Ranked     

[quote=computerworks]...perhaps we can continue this debate, if necessary, about the pro's and con's of SCOF on a new thread in the SPF area?

Now see there?? This is one of the things that I find frustrating about CC. I have seen, countless times, posters being scorned for posting in the wrong place. I'm not sure if I could find the "SPF area". One of the things I like about SCOF, is exactly what others complain about.... There is only ONE place to post!

Different strokes for different folks.....

Craig
Old 10-20-2006, 07:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigayl
Now see there?? This is one of the things that I find frustrating about CC. I have seen, countless times, posters being scorned for posting in the wrong place. I'm not sure if I could find the "SPF area". One of the things I like about SCOF, is exactly what others complain about.... There is only ONE place to post!

Craig
Scorned? ....where was anyone "scorned"?

I merely suggested that it would be better if the SPF folks argue on another thread, rather than the initial "Welcome" thread.

With almost a half-million posts here, organizing things becomes a necessity.

Here you are, Craig...

Bookmark, or make a Favorite out of this link:

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/

You will now be able to find all the "areas."
Old 10-20-2006, 07:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

What is so cool about this SPF Welcome Thread thread to me though is it shows there is a place for people to come to and share ideas, thoughts, concerns or even debates and there a LOT of great people with SPFs out here on CC now as a result of you guys making this available to them.

On a related note for example, I don't own a SPF, but help friends who own them and other friends who run the SPF dealership in Reno. We all talk about the Cobras, Brock Coupes, Nobles, Hi-Tech Manufacturing, common power plants and more... Heck, many of us started running the 15" Yokohama Avid S/T tires waaaaaay back before others at SPF started offering them on their cars at some dealers. Where do you think they got those ideas. Right here on Clubcobra.

Personally, I think SCOF misses out on a lot of great interection by regulating its membership to owners only. Maybe that's why its membership is only 700 people or whatever and here on CC we have ten times that or more including non-registered guests looking inward.

Just a different non-SPF owner opinion from someone who likes SPFs too.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[quote=computerworks]Scorned? ....where was anyone "scorned"?

I merely suggested

You say toe-mato, I say ta-mato.... Either way, thanks for the link.

Now if I could only remember where I filed that bookmark

Craig
Old 10-20-2006, 08:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigayl

Now if I could only remember where I filed that bookmark

Craig
Might I suggest that you post it on SCOF for easy reference?

Old 10-20-2006, 10:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD
Not Ranked     

Hi Duane,

All sarcasm and contention here that I have contributed to this thread I apologize for.

When I was on SCOF I thought that the approach was too narrow to builders. The SPF platform/roller comes complete I have built and built an older Shell Valley (1992), bought and finished a work in progress Unique and owned an SPF (#343) that needed TLC when I bought it, had an FFR Daytona built and done a lot of work on it since then. SCOF's narrow approach is not a builder’s forum but, more oriented to performance, tuning and sorting out handling, non standard fit and finish items. SPF is a terrific manufacturer and that is the reason I decided to buy my GT40 from them. I will sign back up to SCOF when my GT gets here later this year.

I always went to CC and the FFR forums for detailed information and as Duane pointed out -- CC has ten times the number of members and the FFR member headcount is the same or maybe even larger. I have always tried to stay quiet and not feed the fires or contention but, was disappointed when my SCOF access was terminated.

IMHO SCOF does not do itself a service by excluding the larger community........An alternate proposal would be for SCOF to open its closed door for a public access forum the same way CC has.

Tony R
Old 10-20-2006, 10:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The new wave of marketing, across the board for all products, is doing something to make your customers feel 'special', unique, like a club (or cult ). In that regard thats exactly what the SCOF site does. It creates that 'special feeling'. NO other group of owners are so defending of their cars and tend to support\group together as much SPF owners do. At times throwing out logic and going on pure passion. You insult one, you insult all of them. As far as 'marketing' goes from that perspective I would have to say SCOF has hit a home run (with their core group of customers). The downside is it tends to make for a 'us against them' mentality. To be TRULY successful the SCOF site needs to create the 'Club' atmosphere without alienating others within the community.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII #887, drive it a lot!
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Kellogg
Not Ranked     

... did I just get insulted???

I participate in both CC and SCOF; both have their benefits.

I do believe that most people do not realize that SCOF is not 'run' by Superformance. One SPF owner began the forum (years ago) and runs it. It is a GREAT forum and has made MANY deep friendships. It is much more than the cars themselves, although ownership is the price of admission.

I am not speaking for SCOF, just reporting what I have observed through the years...
Jim Kellogg
Breesport, NY
Old 10-20-2006, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default My 2 cents worth

As someone who does not own any sort of Cobra, but plans to own an SPF when the time comes, hopefully before the end of 2007 I am seeking technical information. To an extent I am doo dumb (should say uninformed) to ask many good specific questions about SPF and all the choices available when having one of these prepared.

I am not worried about being misled by Dennis Olthoff and will likely go with nearly every recommendation he makes, but there might be something he does not normally suggest which I would want if only I was aware.

I am reading everything I can find which seems relevant on this forum and am pleased with the information.

If SCOF had a type of membership for owners-to-be which was read-only and limited to a fixed period of time, say 12 months it might serve all needs, keeping down the level of chatter and allowing owners in waiting a chance to educate themselves.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD
Not Ranked     

Hello jmorgan,

Welcome to our passion, community, brotherhood etc.......it all starts with the cars and ties you to the people.

You make my point exactly if SCOF really is about sharing information to the community, there needs to be a open forum section of the web site for access to the people that have the best knowledge about the SPF suite of products and those that are seeking that knowledge.

Brent has opened the door from day one here at CC and SCOF has managed to support the we vs. they mentality........

Welcome to CC and ask away there are many knowlegeable and passionate SPF former, future and current owners here and we enjoy talking about the cars we love. Every time I see #343 its like seeing and old love on the arm of another man.

Tony R.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2457, Sunset Red/Titanium Stripes,460FR, SCJA, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

The "us against them" mentality seems to exist more in the mind of kit owners than those who own SPFs. It is rare to read a post on SCOF or even here on CC where SPF owners diss other's vehicles. As said in an earlier post, SCOF is more about association with other SPF owners than builds. SCOF is member run, not by Superformance, and is not a public service.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:18 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNT
SCOF is member run, not by Superformance, and is not a public service.
50+ posts and we finally have a nail hit. Thank you, RNT!
It's that simple, folks.

-Dean
Old 10-20-2006, 02:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

I rarely post my opinion on this subject, but suffice to say, I agree with Jim Kellogg, Dean, Gary, RNT, and Blas.

SCOF is an "owners group", nothing more, nothing less... Just because it exists on the "internet" doesn't mean that it has to be open to the public. There are plenty of examples of "owners groups" both on the internet and outside of the internet, where ownership is a requirement and are closed to the public.

If SCOF were open to "non-owners", then it would not be an "owners group"...would it?
Old 10-20-2006, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi jmorganw

I agree with Randy Rosenberg, which is to say I agree with..aaaaa. well,, we don't need to go there again

However, welcome to the Cobra community. CC is the place to ask your questions. There are many Superformance owners that hang out here.

Regarding your question about what you may not hear form Dennis Olthoff, let me first say, I know Dennis and many of his very satisfied customers well enough to say you have come across a very fine Superformance dealer. Understanding what you want in a Cobra and how you will use it, I expect you will be very satisfied with the guidance of Dennis. That said, Dennis, as well as many other dealers, tend to guide a new owner away form big block motors. Their motives/reasons may be varied, but the tendency is away from a big block. As you probably already know, there is a big block vs small block religion amongst Cobra owners that seems to have no end. It’s confusing and depending on who you listen to, you can hear a hundred reasons why you should go one way or the other. This could be the hardest decision you make in purchasing a replica Cobra. Just be aware most of the arguments are splitting hairs and you should go with what “you” think is best for you.

Regardless of engine choice, a new owner should treat their car with the utmost respect and get use to the extreme power to weight ratio gradually.

Craig – SPF1265 with a FRPP 514
Old 10-20-2006, 03:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Jim Kellog, "Did I just get insulted?"

Probably not, due to the slick politically correct analysis, it's hard to say.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the responses. I never thought and never agreed with the idea that the SCOF could not establish rules for membership. Any group should be allowed to establish the criteria for membership. I certainly have never wanted to join the Women's Club and don't want the girls joining my men's club. That said, The things I am passionate about are the things I want to promote. It does strike me as strange that SCOF does not do that beyond the public part of the web site (which I think is really Performance Unlimited).

BUT, I suspect most members are proud of their cars and promote the brand when they have a chance. I am not deciding between SPF and some other brand. I made that decision one or two minutes after I walked into the Olthoff Racing facility.

Any of you whom I will have the chance to meet and get to know will find that I am an information junky. I think sharing of information could only promote SPF. I will not suggest that SPF is the absolute best product of its type out there, but for what I seek I think it may well be.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Autocraft MKIV
Not Ranked     
Default Superperformance Dealer near NY

Can anyone email me and tell me where there is a SPF dealer enar NY.
ronmarl@optonline.net

Thanks
Old 01-21-2007, 01:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

http://www.snakepitauto.com/
Old 01-21-2007, 02:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

http://www.superformance.com/dealers.aspx