Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.29 average. Display Modes
Old 10-19-2006, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 427R-095, Pro Systems carb, 2" headers, Buckshot Racefab side pipes, 10s off idle start
Not Ranked     
Default greg

For what it's worth......

I'm real happy with my Roush 427R-095, single plane manifold, Pro-Systems carb, 2 in. primary Olthoff headers, taller air filter on maid in Taiwan Cobra look air intake. It has zero street driving problems and is smooth as silk. It's also almost as quick as you're going to find on the street from a standing start to about 100 mph with the MT street drag radials. I picked up a second set of 17 inch wheels with Yokohama A032R soft compound tires and another road course carb from Pro-Systems too.

I have the 3.73 8.8 Ford rear end with Tremec TKO 600. The 4th gear and that rear end on 28 inch tires is just about perfect for a 1/4 mile and it runs like butter through the gears around town too.

If I did more I'd use different side pipes with interchangeable mufflers, larger fuel line/fuel delivery and a little 50 HP wet shot and stronger splines for the half shafts on the rear end.

If I had to choose between having all changes above or fuel injection on a base car I'd go with the above. Just my opinion.

Here's the general shift points and performance from an off idle start of how I have the car now. It's not the best run, but repeatable in our Arizona winter months.

Last edited by greg schroeder; 10-19-2006 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: addition of information
Old 10-20-2006, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile

Greg,

Thanks for the info. Looks like you get close to 50 in first which is about where I feel I want to be. I am a little surprised you rev to 6500. The Rousch site states Max RPM 6250. I am planning to have a rev limiting ignition and thought I might limit to 6000.

What sort of rpm do you have in top gear at, say 70 mph?

Can you tell me something about the headers? I seem to understand that the standard ones don't quite match up with the engine. Don't know what the diameter of the standard headers is.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

My buddy revs his crate motor to 7000 all the time LOL
Sounds GREAT!!!
That Roush better take it
Old 10-20-2006, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 427R-095, Pro Systems carb, 2" headers, Buckshot Racefab side pipes, 10s off idle start
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorganw
Greg,

Thanks for the info. Looks like you get close to 50 in first which is about where I feel I want to be. I am a little surprised you rev to 6500. The Rousch site states Max RPM 6250. I am planning to have a rev limiting ignition and thought I might limit to 6000.

What sort of rpm do you have in top gear at, say 70 mph?

Can you tell me something about the headers? I seem to understand that the standard ones don't quite match up with the engine. Don't know what the diameter of the standard headers is.
I use a 6800 rpm rev limit. It over revs now and again to around 7000 as I'm all fired up going through the gears. From what I understand not all cam specs are the same in each 427R. Roush has declined to give me my cam specs. I have 427R-095 which seems to pull great up to 7000 rpm with the Pro-Systems 1000ish cfm carb.

Here's the RPM page from the above run. There was some wheel spin at start so that's why it looks choppy in the beginning. The tires on rear are Mickey Thompson ET Street drag radials, 325/50 15. They're not actually 28 inches tall as their site says, but rather about 27 inches.

My Superformance small block headers covered .3 inches of width on each exhaust port for the heads on my Roush 427R-095. The height of the Superformance header opening is too tall. The heads are AFR 205s built for Roush. The headers I got from the Olthoffs were 900 dollars and have a slightly larger diameter than the AFR 205 exhaust port. They look just like the Superformance headers, but are 2 inch primary instead of 1 7/8 and have a new flange welded on then re-jet coated. I aligned the pipes to heads even on the bottom with the over size at top to more center the highest exhaust volume location within the exhaust port below the bend in the pipe at top.

I don't recall my RPM in 5th gear at 70, but it's quite comfortable with the .64. The 4th gear is a 1.0.

My side pipes are on order from Buckshot Racefab.
http://buckshotracefab.com/

My new half shafts are coming from the Drive Shaft Shop in a few days as I shattered the splines on one in the left side in the differential.
http://www.driveshaftshop.com/

I'm putting on a larger size fuel line for the mechanical fuel pump that came on the Roush 427R-095. I may buy a 130 gph pump with regulator next if I do a 50 HP wet shot Nitrous oxide system.

Last edited by greg schroeder; 10-20-2006 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: addition of information
Old 10-20-2006, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks again Greg,

I am not a mechanic so some of these things are outside my ability, but the headers are not, and while I want to have "bragging rights", I may never fully utilize the power.

I looked up the carb company, Pro Systems and will investigate that too. I do want power, but since I will not be going for the max I am really interested in drivability first and power second.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

jmorganw :

the Pro Systems custom carb gives you BOTH driveability and power. i recommend them for street cars never expecting to see the strip or track , as well as the racer folks. their carbs are superb outta the box :

see ; http://www.pro-system.com/

they have built two carbs for me for 2 different applications....excellent all around performance, and mine are without chokes yet start right up -even after storage. bill
Old 11-06-2006, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1683, Roush 392
Not Ranked     

jmorganw,

My recommendations would be for the 3m paint protection, I wish I had it on mine. While the wood wheel looks authentic you'll thank yourself if you get the leather option. As far as engine power and the bb/sb argument goes, that's a tough call. I have a sb because I wanted the lighter weight/better handling and felt that the slight reduction in acceleration and top speed was worth it. Plus, my 392 has 460hp and is insanely fast. If you're a total speed freak then you might need more power but I routinely drive mine at the limit and find that the biggest limitation is traction, not hp. Anything over 400hp is going to FLY. Heck, ask Olthoff, they often steer people to 385hp arguing that anything more simply can't be used on the street.

Another thing about the engine and engine compartment. If you want to have an engine that looks simply beautiful spring for the polish package. It'll put an extra big smile on your face and everyone else who sees it, plus it's probably easier to clean.

Regarding the wheels, I'd recommend the 15"ers. I almost bought 17's and thought thats what I wanted but when I saw a bunch of cobras side by side I noticed that the 15's look correctly sized to the wheel well and car. Believe me, I know my car isn't "correct" and don't even pretend its original, that's why I have a flameball shift knob Ultimately you'll need to get what looks best to you - as long as you get the paint guards!

Good luck with your decisions.
Bryan
Old 11-06-2006, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2457, Sunset Red/Titanium Stripes,460FR, SCJA, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

I bought a 10" clip on rear view mirror for the interior mirror so I have a good wide view. The left fender RV mirror is useless. I am more concerned with what's behind me than in front of me.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MkIII, Performance Engineering 418 Stroker. Keyless Entry, and naturally aspirated A/C
Not Ranked     

I have one of those clip on mirrors too. It is invaluable! I get inquiries as to wher I got it all the time, but my wife can't remember where she bought it...

I thought she said Wal-Mart... for around 8 bucks...

Makes the car so much more comfortable to drive.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

J.C. Whitney has them. Look for racing mirrors. about 10-12 bucks I think.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MkIII, Performance Engineering 418 Stroker. Keyless Entry, and naturally aspirated A/C
Not Ranked     

RNT,

They say its the little things that matter, and this is one of them Hey ?

Best 10 bucks my wife ever spent.

Really, if you don't have one now, get one. You won't regret it!
Old 11-06-2006, 09:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's a link to the mirror

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...wflag=1#review
Old 11-06-2006, 09:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 228, Roush 342R, 457HP/428TQ, modified AOD
Not Ranked