Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2007, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     
Default Windshield Question

Cracked my widshield a couple days ago and was wondering if anybody has any experience with replacing the glass. I noticed you can by the glass from SPF or you can buy the whole assembly with frame. There is a significant cost difference between the two, and was wondering how hard it was to replace the glass using the existing stainless frame?
Old 01-17-2007, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 545" stroked 460 - sold
Not Ranked     

A tech article in the on-line SCOF library explains this process. If you are a SCOF member review the article "Replacing the Glass in the Windscreens of the Newer Style Cars." Email me if you have trouble locating it

Another article on that same tech library page titled "Glass replacement - new style with bow (.pdf)" has a number of color pictures and more detail on the repair process (requires Adobe Acrobat free reader to view it).

Last edited by Velox; 01-17-2007 at 10:13 AM..
Old 01-17-2007, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info...
Old 01-17-2007, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley 460ci C6
Not Ranked     

I did mine literally in an hour from removing the damged windshield from the car to installing the replacement. I have a Shell Valley but I believe most manufacturers use the same style windshield. I didn't even remove the side brackets...just remove the screws holding the windshield frame to them...lay it on a suitable work surface and remove the screws holding the frame to the windshield. The replacement glass should come with new seal....place it on the new glass reinstall the frame then trim the seal with a utility knife. Reinstall it back in the car. Very easy job.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF, KC 427
Not Ranked     

SP01715
Your car and motor sound great. How about posting some photos in your gallery. Good Luck on the windscreen repair. Tommy B make it sound too easy.
poolw2419
Old 01-17-2007, 01:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Leave the frame attached to your car and just remove the windshield (4 little screws on the side). Hour job max. I replaced mine with Lexan for about $80.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 01-17-2007, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch build......a little every day.
Not Ranked     

On the subject of windshields...Clois, I just cut one out of Lexan MR10 and still have an extra piece 1/4"x 20"x54" any takers over there in OK.
No, it's not free
Like they said above, it's really not a hard job just reuse your original screws and do not use any longer ones that would touch glass!
Dave

Last edited by elgecko; 01-17-2007 at 02:11 PM..
Old 01-17-2007, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Spf 392W
Not Ranked     
Default spf windsheild replacement

spo1715,
when i got #1739 this semptember the windsheild was also broken,the old owner agreed to pay.one problem, no one wanted to do the glass in frame install at a reasonable price.the solution wound up being me doing it myself.i got the glass from snakepit-a nearby spf dealer ($250.00), not a very difficult job, just a little patience needed.removed frame & brakets from vehicle.removed all screws from frame,(very important to mark every screws position). if you need more info,e-mail me.
tim
p.s - i would assume that you have the newer style windsheild,since my #1739 was.
Spf #1739 Roush392 Tremec
Old 01-17-2007, 10:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1988, Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

Speaking of windshields, I just bought a used SPF (1988), and it recently had a new windshield installed. This thing has a very annoying rattle when you get to speeds in excess of 40 MPH. Please tell me this is not normal. I can't stand alot of rattles, and the only other rattle is from the chrome fire extinguisher, which is an easy fix. Any help would be appreciated. I am thinking I may have to pull this windshield apart...
Old 01-18-2007, 04:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1358 Silver/Black stripes 466 2X4
Not Ranked     

ROMM....If your windshield rattles and your side support brackets are tight to the frame, check the 4 mounting screws throught the side bracket....my culpret was the center support bracket, not wanting to over tighten the 4mm machine screws, two in the windshield and two in the cowl.. I removed the bracket and enlarged the holes a bit..squeek and rattle are gone.

Tony
Old 01-18-2007, 04:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So where is the center support bracket? I am guessing it is only accessible under the hood? Thanks for the help.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The bracket is located at the center of the lower windshield frame on the passenger compartment side...it's an L shaped bracket that hold the frame to the body... if you want I can sent a picture...
Old 01-19-2007, 09:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks a bunch for all the repiles, It will make it a lot easier for me now that I have the info you guys have provided.

PoolW, I will get some pics up later, I don't have any on this computer.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Another question:

I ended up getting a new complete winshield assemby and I am going to replace the glass in the old frame so I have an extra one.

The new assembly that I received has the "Beclawat" plate rivetted on the frame where the center bow clips on top of the frame. With the plate in the way the center bow will not clip on the frame. If I can not find a replacement without the badge I guess the only solutions are to the either grind down the rivets and remove the badge (which you risk damaging the frame) or to not use the center bow.

If I choose to not use the center bow another problem I have is my mirror attaches to it. I looked at putting a dash mounted mirror on the car but access under the dash where the mount goes is a problem.

For those with dash mounted mirrors does anybody know how it attaches (self tapping screws, plate under the dash, through bolted etc...)?

And has anybody grinded the rivets off the frame before? I worry about heat damaging the chrome.

Thanks for any help...
Old 01-31-2007, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: X Everett Morrison, X SPF 140, X SPF1823, currently SPF2778
Not Ranked     

Just my opinion, but keep the center bow/pole with mirror. My SPF has the same and it is much better than the cowl mounted mirror. You can see out the back window! My old SPF with the cowl mounted mirror was worthless when the top was installed. You can buy a cowl mounted mirror with a 1" longer arm through SCOF, but the pole mounted mirror is better. My opinion.

Tom
Old 01-31-2007, 11:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Its funny you mention the bow, SPO1715. Because thanks to Tony Aprile, now I know that I don't have the center bracket OR the bow installed on my car. Tony sent me a pic of the bracket on his car (which I could not locate on mine), and I realized that not only is there a bracket missing, but a bow too. I just ordered both parts from finishlineaccessories.com. I hope this gets rid of the rattle. Thanks for this thread!
Old 01-31-2007, 01:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

I broke 3 windshields when I first started using my car 20 years ago.They flex when you start getting up over 120.I replaced it with a Lexan one 19 years ago and have had no problems since.I crashed in 1996 and took down three trees in the center of the road,you know the island,anyway that Lexan piece saved my life by not breaking when the branches hit the windshield.I still have that Lexan piece with a few scratches but otherwise intact.Lexan for me!!
Old 02-04-2007, 09:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Another question:

I went to install the winsdscreen assembly and it did not fit properly. It fit on to the car but there was about a 1/4" gap between the window frame and the window post. When I took the old window and frame and put it over the new one, the old window / frame is about a 1/2" wider than the new one.

I was told that because my car # I would have the newer window and the build date on the new assembly is late 06. Does anybody know when the windscreen assembly was changed, and what is the solution for cars with the older windscreens?

Any info will help. I want to make sure that the difference is a change in the windscreen and not a faulty assembly. Thanks in advance...
Old 02-05-2007, 06:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

1715...I have to ask ...did you buy the new assembly from Superformance or at least an SPF dealer. If it's not from Superformance it will not fit because the newer windscreens have a different shape.

I have changed quite a few windshields (glass only) with no problems and I was sent a new Frame w/glass two years ago from SPF as a warrwanty replacement because the glass was cracking every few months... I finally got around to swaping out the entire Frame and side supports and although it fit ok... I did not complete the job by drilling holes in the new side supports...I just swapped the new glass in my old frame. Made some adjustments to the center support bracket...

Tony
Old 02-05-2007, 09:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes it was a new assembly from Superformance.

I am going to try and get in touch with them today and ask what the deal is. Like I said above, when you compare the two frames my old one is about 1/2" wider.

The build date on the new assembly is 10/06 according the the sticker on it so unless they changed the windscreens again I would think it should fit a car built in late 03 (2004 model)?