Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2007, 08:15 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #390, 428 FE
Not Ranked     
Default Superformance 289 Street Roadster

Hey,

I am about ready to fulfill a decades-old desire and get myself a cobra replica. I plan to do a 289 (ish) Street Roadster - No scoop, no roll bar, no side pipes, no stripes, 15"KO, etc. The dash layout would be tach & speedo flanking the steering column, small gauges 3 over 2 in the center, glove box to the right. Exhaust either straight through or exit just in front of the rear wheels (prefer the latter)

I have found a good dealer for BDR in Cashburn (Vintage-motorsports) here in CT, can do pretty much exactly what I want. I just want to check the options for a SPF before I commit.

Anyone out there who has gone this route?

Thanks,

Jerry
Old 05-19-2007, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

SPF offers a roadster version like you desire. There are a quite a few out there and I have seen several at some of the events. I too like the looks of the clean sides,etc. on the street car. It is based on the 427 body though, and not the early 289 car. I think you already knew that, but didn't want any confusion on the offering.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Does BDR offer a '289' style body or would they just use the 427 body, as it appears SPF is doing?
Old 05-19-2007, 10:25 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Excaliber & WDZ,

Thanks for the replies!

BDR, like SPF, does not offer a "slabside" body. ERA does, not sure who else. SPF is probably the only other car I'd consider for this project. I actually like the rear in particular of the 427 body, so this is fine with me. If I decide to do a 2nd cobra later (if Spouse monitors this, may not live to see 1st one), and want the slabside, that'll be a consideration.

I'm hoping to hear from a SPF owner who has done the SR bit, to get some add'l details and opinions.

Jerry
Old 05-19-2007, 10:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner Contemporary FIA with 351W,Former Owner KMP 296 FIA Hybrid. Former owner CSX4241
Not Ranked     

Unique Motorcars also makes a 289(FIA) body and it is a very good product and cerainly worth a look. There is one for sale on Cobra Country. My car is an FIa from Contemporary which is not in business anymore but made a pretty accurate replica.

Stu
Old 05-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

ERA offers the FIA body which is the slab side on steroids, but does not offer the slab side body.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Working on This
Not Ranked     
Default 289 Cobra

Kirkham also offers a slabside version of the Cobra...
Old 05-19-2007, 11:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

ERA's 289 FIA car is based on the CSX2345 car at the Shelby museum in Boulder, Co. I belive Kirkham's 289 is also an FIA body, not a slab side. CSX I believe does offer a "slab side", ie, the same body as the original 289 street car. RD
Old 05-19-2007, 12:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427FE (sold & missed)
Not Ranked     

Kirkham offers both and I believe the Shelby aluminum bodies are still purchased from Kirkham.................

Old 05-19-2007, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

here's one that fits on a Factory 5 ://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2095964314&idx=23
Old 05-19-2007, 01:29 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Mr Bruce meant to post this link:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...5964314&idx=23

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 05-19-2007, 05:28 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Superformance 289 Street Roadster

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the input!

Still hoping to hear from a Superformance owner with a street roadster similar to what I'm planning.

All the others are interesting but short of finding exactly what I want already built (not so far), ERA, SPF, including interior extior colors, etc., it'll brobably be a BDR. SPF is the only other thing I'd consider buying new. Budget is a fcator, as I'm trying to hold at $50K or so.

Thanks,

Jerry
Old 05-19-2007, 08:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Just a collection of parts right now...
Send a message via MSN to spl310
Not Ranked     

Mr. Bruce, do you offer that body without the little access door by the windshield? Do you offer an inner tub?
Old 05-20-2007, 04:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That is actually the plug I used to make my SlabSide molds. The access door was so I could get to the windshield bolts easier. The access doors are not in the finished mold, although I/you could cut them in if you want. As for an inner tub. I can make you one to fit your frame , but I will need your frame to build it. drop me an e-mail for details, Rcherv1228atAOL.com
Old 05-20-2007, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Jerry,

For what it's worth, my Superformance is the Roadster version. I think you can see pictures in my gallery on this site. It has the dash configured as you want. Undercar exhaust - no sidepipes. It has stripes, hood scoop and a custom rollbar by installed by Olthoff. It would be a good choice.

I think if you got a car like mine with no stripes, hood scoop or rollbar, it would be the closest to what you want if you want a Superformance. They would be delighted to make one that way.

I love my car. In my opinion, for the price range you are looking at, Superformance or ERA would be the way to go. The only wild card would be Unique which I believe makes a 289 version. They have a fine reputation too.

Jack
Old 05-20-2007, 07:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Somebody should buy that wrecked SuperFormance that's up for sale on the innernet, send it to me , have me install a SlabSide body. Have yourself truely one of a kind Cobra.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Another Question, same Topic

Went to the Western States Cobra Bash in Reno, NV., yesterday.

There was a beautiful slab side 289 hand-built (according to the sign) by somebody in Coos Bay, Oregon. Unfortunately there was no further information regarding the builder.

Does anybody by chance know anything about the builder?

Also, there there were two 289 FIAs. One by ERA and one by Kirkham. Again, it was all I could do not to drool on the cars....absolutely beautiful and offered a nice alternative.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 05-20-2007, 09:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

There are two things that would make me hesitate to buy a totally original spec 289 slab side.
One is size, the 289's are a smaller car and are to cramped for me. Two is the heat factor. Perhaps it's the undercar exhaust? Maybe it's the firewall/footbox proximity to the motor? The 289's seem to make more cockpit heat than the 427 cars. In fact my '63 Austin Healey had a VERY hot cockpit and that was only a 6 cylinder, makes my 427 Cobra seem downright cool in comparison. Of course the SPF and BDR versions, I would think, are actually 427 body size? The CSX8000 series (289 cars) are smaller.

Last edited by Excaliber; 05-20-2007 at 09:26 AM..
Old 05-20-2007, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default You Are Correct

The other downside, if you opt to go with absolute copy of the original, is the leaf-spring suspension. Both the Kirkham and I think ERA, go with a more updated suspension setup, which makes sense from a driveability perspective. Was not sure about the one I saw that was made by somebody in Coos Bay, OR.

Still though, have to admit I admire the lines of the original body....
Old 05-20-2007, 09:49 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Jerry,

Regardless which car you think you want now, you OWE it to yourself to call ERA and make an appointment to go there and look at their cars, especially if you want a 289 car. They build both series, turn out a beautiful product and are great people.

You may end up deciding you'd rather have another manufacturer's car, but you also may decide you really want an ERA and there are other options to ordering a car from them. Peter may have a used car for sale or may know of one. Someone else may have ordered a car and backed out. Or, you may find a used car elsewhere and Peter may know its history.

Being that close to the factory would be a HUGE advantage when you need service, help, etc.

Just give 'em a try...

Lowell