Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star 428
Send a message via AIM to rtstrack
Not Ranked     

Getting my cobra delivered this Thursday and should have the forms sent out to the state by next week. What is everyone doing about having a "number plate light", which i'm assuming is a license plate light.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtstrack View Post
Getting my cobra delivered this Thursday and should have the forms sent out to the state by next week. What is everyone doing about having a "number plate light", which i'm assuming is a license plate light.
I believe my builder checked the box for one on the state form. So either he added one or the Superformace comes with one. I know he added a backup light. I dont really know when something has to be added or not. Side marker lights for instance, are not added. Shoulder belt, padded dash etc.. the car just doesnt have.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:37 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 392CI, 430HP
Not Ranked     

Steve, how is the registration process going? Hopefully you are all done with no problems. I just talked to DMV as I am getting closer to time to register, although still several weeks away. I asked again today about emission requirements as this was a great concern to me and I was told something different today than I was told previously. I would be happy to share this information with you if you want to send me a PM - if you are having related problems.

Other items I asked about today because I wasn't sure about them, and the corresponding answers: He said I do need a 4 way flasher (I know the BDR has a switch for one so I imagine there is one with the car - the car is 60 miles away so I can't check until I go down tomorrow), a defroster (I told him I ordered a heater so he said he thinks I will be covered there and not to worry about it), and padded visors (he said I could put temporary padding on the visors - I was going to take the visors off). He told me they won't give anyone any hassle if they don't have Side Marker Lamps. Obviously, that was a big concern for me - that would sure ruin the car. He told me to put "1965 Replica" under Year of vehicle on both forms. He said they aren't really concerned about how you describe the vehicle as they will be registering it as a 2008 custom vehicle if you note it is a replica. As was the case with Tom, this guy was very helpful and he didn't seem to be too concerned about the process. Sounds like they are flexible as long as the minimum requirements are met. As Jim noted, it appears the apprehension of dealing with them is worse than the actual experience. I will find out soon.

I did know about the weighing requirements, etc. put I thank you for pointing them out.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gary Edwards Racing 460
Not Ranked     

Side markers are not necessary since the front markers can be seen from the side. Padded visors - Tom said I dont care if you put a sock on your visor. I put a slit in a piece of green foam and shoved the visors in. You should see the pictures I sent in
Old 02-29-2008, 10:11 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I like the sock idea. Maybe some hot pink socks with pom poms on the toes to jazz it up a little more. Thanks for the reply. Glad to see they have a sense of humor at DMV. The local DMV office sure is lacking in this area.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LONE STAR CLASSIC , CHEVY 383 STROKER
Not Ranked     
Default ny reg

I've been thru this with a lonestar cobra , You first have to fill out both forms from the dmv ,send them in with the $25 and wait until you hear back from them with an appointment date to get the car inspected /nysdmv center . You have to trailer the car ,and they will not give you a temp reg. sticker.When you go bring receipts for all major parts on your car - the engine ,trans ,rearend and the mso . They will put the car up on a rack and check for stolen parts and to make sure the car is safe . Focing on the brakes ,as to how the lines are attached . Steering assbly etc. They will let you know then if theirs a problem . Your engine will determine the emissions that are required for your engine , for my 70 block ,it had to have a pvc valve and a thermostatic air cleaner and yes they checked. So, you wait a couple of weeks and you will receive a letter stating your car can receive a VIN # and another appointment date to bring the car back (on trailer) to have them affix the VIN TAG , they put mine in the door jamb towards the top by dash. Now you get your paper work for the reg process , you register the car (pay n.y sales tax) bring receipts and then have 10 days to bring to local inspection station to be inspected by them , when they type in Custom 2008 , (The year the car was first registered will be what is printed on reg.)it will tell inspector what emissions standards are suppose to be on car.
When you go for the nydmv center for their inspecton , they will look to see that you have wipers that work ,a backup light , d.o.t on your lenses , tires ,windsheild and you will have to remove the sun visors as they are not d.o.t approved . Put a piece of pipe insulation across the top of the dash ,the kind that opens and put it for your padded dash , it passed . All and all it was kind of a hassle -trailing the car 2 times , But it sure is worth it. Hope this helps you guys , Any questions let me know . I will check back often
Old 02-29-2008, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well I had heard that the emissons were based on the year of the engine, and then i saw this at DMV.ORG about exemptions to the emissions rule.
Now, what do they consider the 'upstate area'? Is that anything outisde of NYC area??
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some vehicles are exempt from emissions inspections: vehicles one model year old or newer, vehicles at least 26 model years old, vehicles with vintage or historic plates, electric vehicles, motorcycles, farm equipment, homemade or custom vehicles in the upstate area, and diesel vehicles weighing 8,500 pounds or less.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII #887, drive it a lot!
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Kellogg
Not Ranked     

Steve, you are right. Rochester is "upstate".

In the NYC metro area (and 4 other counties) there is a "High Enhanced" inspection which uses a dyno and gas analyzer as part of the inspection. Anyone that lives in these areas will know about this

My sources at NY DMV say that the "High Enhanced" inspection will someday be a thing of the past. There was a time when it looked like the whole state would be moving to this. Thankfully, it did not come to pass!

You will need a PCV. I was prepared to have to use a thermostatic air cleaner, but nobody (including me) brought it up during the inspection.

Jim Kellogg
Breesport, NY
Old 02-29-2008, 02:30 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A mechanic can tell you for sure but I think the emissions they are referring to here is the emissions tests they do when they do the annual inspection. Here is what just happened to me: I had my 2007 RAV4 inspected and they charged me $21 - but another invoice was attached to the first invoice that noted the inspection cost was $10. I asked about the $21 fee and was told the computer at the service center picked up the $21 fee because it did not pick up the fact that the vehilcle was a 2007 and, accordingly, did not need to have the emission test part of the annual inspection done. They refunded me $11.

The guy I talked to today asked me what year my engine block was and I replied that it was probably a 2007 since it is a crate engine. He told me to have the guy I bought the engine off note on the invoice that it is a replacement engine for a 1965 vehicle and that will exempt me from most of the emission requirements. I am not even close to being a mechanic but I think the only standards I need to meet are to have a PVC something and positive crank case ventilation (these could be the same thing for all I know). He said the crate engine should have all I need to pass. Tom had told me that it would be exempt as long as I don't make any modifications to the engine. So, I am going to have the invoice changed to note it is for a 1965 vehicle (this isn't untrue as far as I am concerned) and go from there.

Sounds like you still aren't registered. Have you had problems with the inspections or maybe you just haven't tried yet? We need a lot better weather before I really get in any hurrty to start.

I believe upstate NY is anywhere but the metro area but I could be wrong.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorse View Post
Steve: Tom Noonan's phone number is (518) 474-5282, then 4. He is one of the good guys.

Don Morse
Don, I have been in contact with Cathy at NYS DMV in Albany. I spoke to her today after faxing additional paperwork last week and it sounded like she still had a question about the paperwork, but I had not heard from her regarding any additional issues.
Dont know how busy Albany is or if this is typical of the process.
Should I be contacting Tom? Would he be able to expidite the process? Does he work in Field Investigation or TEchnical Services?
Thanks
Old 03-04-2008, 03:05 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Steve. I think Tom works in Technical Services but I am not sure. It would seem that since you are working with Cathy you should continue to work with her. I imagine getting somebody else involved would only slow things down. Everybody I have talked to at DMV has been helpful. I certainly don't have an "IN" with Tom or anyone else. I just mentioned Tom's name because he was the gentleman I originally talked to and he was very helpful.

What kind of issues are you having? I have my COO, bills of sale, etc. and will be sending copies of them when the time comes. All my forms are complete except I need to put the backup light number on the form once it is installed. I also need the weight certificate but the guy hauling my car from the shop to my home told me he would stop along the way and get it weighed for me. It is my understanding this is all they need as far as paperwork goes (plus their forms of curse) but if they need more I would certainly appreciate knowing this up front. I am still several weels away from submitting my data.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, FRP460 Big Block
Not Ranked     

Actually, I don't believe you need the weight certificate for the inspection. In fact, when I got my appointment slip and attempted to hand everything to the inspection folks in Babylon, they said emphatically: "Just the appointment slip PLEASE!"
You'll need the weight certificate when you go to the DMV to get the registration done, and after the VIN number has been assigned and affixed to your car.

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'94 35th Anniversary Rover Mini Cooper 32mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 03-05-2008, 02:22 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You are correct. I don't need the weight certificate for the inspection. However, I do have to send a copy to the Techinal Services Bureau - Number 3 on the application. I don't imagine they will schedule the inspection if I don't send the weight certificate as required. I also need the certificate again when the car is registered. Guess the various departments don't talk to each other - sounds like my place of employment.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default another step accomplished

Got my inspection appt last week and yesterday the driver and I trailered my car to the inspection station here in Rochester. Thankfully the roads had cleared after a nightly 6" snowfall!
After the car was driven in the state garage we went in to the waiting room and waited approx 1/2 hour for the inspection to be completed. The guy inspecting the car was relatively young and came out to jokingly comment " what a nice car, I think I have to drive it as part of the inspection" . We chatted a little while about the replica cars available, cost of original cobras, how long to build one etc..
Seemed to be more out of ihis nterest as opposed to checking validity of the car.
Nothing was said about non padded visors, exhaust noise or heat shields.
My VIN number was assigned so another step is completed in the process.
Insurance and registration are next.
Hopefully my timing is right for approaching nice weather!
Old 03-29-2008, 05:50 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Congratulations, Steve. Sounds like you are well on your way. We are putting the engine, tranny, etc. in tomorrow but then I have surgery on Wed. so I won't be able to get the car home until the week of 4/7 - 4/11 at the earliest. As you know, the weather isn't cooperating anyways (we have several inches of new snow on the ground) so I am still in no big hurry although I do want to get it home so I can polish it up in the rare case we do get a decent day.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good Job! I found, too, that the inspectors are pretty good and actually friendly. They're just looking for the stolen stuff.

Where did they put the sticker?

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 03-29-2008, 08:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoop View Post
Good Job! I found, too, that the inspectors are pretty good and actually friendly. They're just looking for the stolen stuff.

Where did they put the sticker?

He ended up putting the VIN sticker onthe firewall on the drivers side. This is a good spot since I was expecting it to be stuck on the dash somewhere in plain view.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I guess they've chilled out somewhat. They stuck mine on the dash right under the regi and inspection stickers; supposedly the only place they are allowed to stick it to at the time. I've asked the DMV how to get a duplicate "since I may be painting the dash". Nobody could give me an answer. Not even a supervisor.

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 03-29-2008, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII #887, drive it a lot!
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Kellogg
Not Ranked     

Steve,
Glad to hear you cleared the "VIN" hurdle. Should be good to go from here on out

Don,
I have the paperwork for you. Give me a call at work. Hope all goes well with your surgery! It was great talking to you the other day. It will be BDR driving time before you know it!!!
Old 04-20-2008, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So I finally made it thru the registration process, received my plates and finally have the car on the road. A couple of impressions from the first few days of driving.. AWESOME.. AWESOME!!
A couple of things I have noticed and have some questions about.
The speedometer jumps around a little ( 5 mph or so). Is this normal or an issue with the cable? Is the speedo fairly well calibrated for the speed? I assume the gearing is all set up at the factory.
My clutch grabs about 1/2 in off the floor. Is this normal for the Tremec 600? I know the SPF has pedal adjustment but wondered if that affects clutch engagement distance. Its liveable in any case, I just have to remember to push all the way in to disengage.
The emergency brake, when pulled all the way doesnt seem to hold the car.
Can this be adjusted to fix or is this an issue with SPF cars and just leave the car in gear when stopped?
I know some owners have a fire extinguisher installed. Are these cars prone to fires or is this a racing requirement?
Thanks!