Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2008, 09:35 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 392CI, 430HP
Not Ranked     

A quick update on my registration process in case it may help someone else. I filed the paperwork to both departments at the same time and received a phone call from Mark at Technical Services a week later. He told me he needed a picture of the padded dash and visors and also told me the number off the backup light I had on the car wasn't acceptable as it had a P in the code (meaning it is a parking light) instead of an R (meaning it is a reverse light). He also asked about the license plate light. I told him the license plate light was under the chrome piece on the trunk and he said O.K. I also explained that I took the visors off to pass inspection since they weren't padded. He said they needed a picture of the padded visors and padded dash (although they only request pictures of the sides and front and back of the car) and also explained they don't look for anything at the inspection other than to check for stolen parts. I also explained the light was wired to the tranny and does work when the car is in reverse. Didn't matter. No problem. I padded the visors and took a picture of the dash and visors and emailed to him. I also changed the backup light to one with an R code and sent him a picture of it along with the part number with the magic R. I called a couple hours later and he said he received the emailed pictures and that I was all set and would be hearing from someone for the inspection. He also told me that I could fax the inspection approval back to them to speed up the registration process.

I have talked to Tom and Mark at DMV several times and they were both nice guys and very helpful. As Jim Kellogg noted, the anticipation of dealing with DMV was much worse than actually dealing with them.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF-2659/Roush 427SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE-O View Post
The emergency brake, when pulled all the way doesnt seem to hold the car.
Can this be adjusted to fix or is this an issue with SPF cars and just leave the car in gear when stopped?
I had the same problem...it needed to be adjusted. If you have an older model it has I believe a tranny brake which is useless. Once mine was adjused it works...still not great but it works.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE-O View Post
Don, I have been in contact with Cathy at NYS DMV in Albany. I spoke to her today after faxing additional paperwork last week and it sounded like she still had a question about the paperwork, but I had not heard from her regarding any additional issues.
Dont know how busy Albany is or if this is typical of the process.
Should I be contacting Tom? Would he be able to expidite the process? Does he work in Field Investigation or TEchnical Services?
Thanks
AVOID CATHY AT ALL COSTS !!!! SHE'S A NIGHTMARE.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII #887, drive it a lot!
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Kellogg
Not Ranked     

Great news, Don!!!
Be sure to let me know when you go for the DMV inspection. If possible, I will try and meet you there for moral support, if you would like

767... Been there done that
A word of warning to anyone using the custom registration process in NY...

Jim Kellogg
Breesport, NY
Old 06-27-2008, 04:02 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, Jim, but I don't anticipate any problems. From what Tom and Mark told me they are mainly checking for stolen parts and I have all my invoices and all the parts are new from either Ford or Keystone with appropriate serial numbers. When I got home I found my inspection notice in the mail. They are doing it on the 17th at 9:30. I had hoped it would be sooner but I take what they give me. It really wasn't that long after I sent the paperwork for the inspection to be scheduled so the process has been smooth so far. That, of course, makes me nervous. As noted previously, I can fax the approval to Mark to speed up the registration process. Anyone know how long it might take for the registration paperwork once it hits Albany?

Jim, I will be in touch ASAP to schedule my NYS inspection and wheel alignment. As soon as I can get it registered.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorse View Post
Thanks, Jim, but I don't anticipate any problems. From what Tom and Mark told me they are mainly checking for stolen parts and I have all my invoices and all the parts are new from either Ford or Keystone with appropriate serial numbers. When I got home I found my inspection notice in the mail. They are doing it on the 17th at 9:30. I had hoped it would be sooner but I take what they give me. It really wasn't that long after I sent the paperwork for the inspection to be scheduled so the process has been smooth so far. That, of course, makes me nervous. As noted previously, I can fax the approval to Mark to speed up the registration process. Anyone know how long it might take for the registration paperwork once it hits Albany?

Jim, I will be in touch ASAP to schedule my NYS inspection and wheel alignment. As soon as I can get it registered.
Don, After the inspection paperwork is faxed in, I recall it taking about a week to get the proper stamped form back. With that, you then need to get the regular NY safety inspection and then to DMV to get plates.
I believe they mentioned padded dash and sun visors with mine but I dont think they checked for them at that first inspection so I dont know why they insist on the pics.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:20 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Steve. A week would be better than I hoped for. Maybe I can get this beauty on the road by Aug. after all. I guess I have the NY inspection and registration backwards. I thought it would have to be registered before the inspection and they would give me a temporary for ten days. Looks like another roll back fee to get it to the inspection site.

I imagine you are very much enjoying your SPF. The weather could be better but it sure beats snow. Do you still have an interest in coming down to the cruise night? I haven't been over yet this year but will be going in a week or so to check out what is there. I could let you know how many cars and people show up if you are interested.

Jim, if you are still with us, any chance I could get one of your mechanics to come to my house (about ten minutes from your shop) to do the inspection (it would be cheaper for me to pay for his travel time than the roll back charge) or are you required to do the inspection on site?
Old 06-28-2008, 05:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII #887, drive it a lot!
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Kellogg
Not Ranked     

Hi, Don
It's been awhile since I went through the custom registration process, but I think that you will register the vehicle at the DMV (after you have the DMV inspection to get your VIN, and get your paperwork back), then can get a 10 day temporary inspection from the DMV to allow you to drive to our shop for the NYS inspection.

If you need the NYS inspection to register the vehicle (I don't think you will), you can use my trailer to save the rollback fee, if you want. No problem if you need to borrow the truck and trailer - just let me know.

One more thought. I used the Corning DMV. They are very helpful - just go there early in the day.

The vehicle will need to be at the shop for the NYS inspection.

Not to worry. You are almost there!!!
Jim
Old 06-28-2008, 02:55 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim, I read the directions again and, as Steve noted, I have to get the NY safety inspection first. You guys have to fill out part of the paperwork I will then take to DMV to register. This seems backwards to me but what the hey? I like your Corning suggestion as Elmira seems to always be a madhouse and I hate to drive in to Elmira anyways because of all the potholes. If I could get it licensed before the inspection I would just drive it over and take my chances for a missing inspection violation ($110 fine as opposed to a $55 roll back fee) but a violation for lacking registration in addition would be huge.

Thanks for your generous offer for your outfit but I would not feel comfortable with that arrangement. Dave's Towing told me they would charge $55 to take me to Horseheads and back for the DMV inspection so I imagine they would charge the same or less to your shop as it is closer. I will schedule the inspection only for my first tirp as this sholdn't take very long (I don't want to have to pay them for waiting for me) then I will bring the car back in later for the alignment after it is licensed.

Thanks again for the offer. See you in a few weeks.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:26 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A final note. I had my DMV safety inspection this morning and as soon as the guy saw the car he said "This will be easy, about five minutes". It actually took about ten with the placement of the new VIN (he was kind enough to put it in the engine compartment instead of the dash (ugh) or on the door jamb). Apparently most of their inspections are on vehicles that have been declared a total loss by the insurance companies. BTW, they must take these inspections kind of serious as both inspectors had holstered 9MMs.

All things considered the NY registration process was very smooth. I worked with Tom Noonan and Mark Enge at Technical Services and they did everything in a timely manner and were very nice and helpful about everything.

Another inspection tomorrow (the regular NY inspection) - thanks for scheduling so quickly for me Jim - then off to DMV for registraton and plates. I should be on the road by sundown - I am totally excited.