Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 02-19-2008, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF#2572, 427 S/O 2X4
Not Ranked     
Default Push Button Start in SPF

I know there are a few threads on this topic already, but I am looking for specific information on installing one of these in a Superformance. For those of you that have done this already, what issues did you run in to? How did you wire yours with regards to operation of the car? And last, how to modify the dash without damaging it.

Any input/advice regarding how to integrate one of these into the car would be greatly appreciated, especially from those of you with Superformance cars.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2482 Shelby/Roush 427
Not Ranked     

Speak of the devil, I just had a push button start put in mine last week. I had the car at my installers place getting a leak fixed and they did it for me. We just used a horn button so it matches. I know they used a special bit to drill the exact size hole in the dash right next to the key. I wish I could tell you the specifics. It only took them about 45 minutes for the whole job.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:36 AM
California Dreamin Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via ICQ to vanoochka Send a message via Yahoo to vanoochka Send a message via Skype™ to vanoochka
Not Ranked     

I got rid of my key and installed a push button in it's place, rather that in addition to it. Either way, if you are going to start messing with wiring, I strongly recommend that you purchase Blas's wiring diagram for $25. I did and it really helped on that project and a few others I've successfully completed.

I can't upload pics for some reason, but if you want to see what it looks like PM me your email.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

vanoochka,

so you only have button and no key? do you use your batter cutoff for security?

Thanks
Old 02-19-2008, 11:23 AM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Slumming currently with 67 GT350
Not Ranked     
Default Pushbutton

RS,
Your installer did several for the MKIII customers, either installed the button right next to the key, or in one car, removed and "hid" the ignition switch under the dash and just had the button in the same keyhole. I didn't like that as I had to fumble around under the dash to find the switch to insert the key. Give Chuck a call if you want and he can talk you thru it, very easy to install. Hope all is well with your SPF.

Bill
Old 02-19-2008, 12:06 PM
California Dreamin Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via ICQ to vanoochka Send a message via Yahoo to vanoochka Send a message via Skype™ to vanoochka
Not Ranked     

Maxx,

I could tell you how I addressed the security issue, but then I would have to kill you.

Seriously, I wired the pushbutton to a random (unused) switch on my dash that now serves in the "accessory" position. So, I hit the switch and then push the button.

From a security point of view, if someone wanted one of these cars they could hotwire it and be off in about 30 seconds -max. It would take considerably longer to flip switches and push the button to find the right combination - even if they knew that is how it needed to be done.

I really like the looks of it and I never have to worry about losing my keys - at least for the Cobra.

Chuck
Old 02-19-2008, 01:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

vanoochka,

that is too cool and makes perfect since, everthing has a function!!
Old 02-19-2008, 06:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

With regards to the security issues some have expressed by eliminating the keyed ignition; I saw a product in a motorcycle catolog for a relay that is activated by the proximity of a remote key fob. If the fob is not within ten feet of the relay, it will not complete the circuit. This sounds like it might be a good idea, but I don't know if there is a similar product for a 12V car system, or if the 6V can be modified to work in a car. Sounds like it might be a good solution for a push button system that eliminates the keyed switch.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427/SC. 0961
Not Ranked     

I am looking at the same and this is the only brand I have found that seems to be easy to install.

https://store.digitalguarddawg.com/home.php?cat=287

if any one knows better???
Old 02-19-2008, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

what's wrong with a key switch?
why do you need a button
Old 02-19-2008, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427/SC. 0961
Not Ranked     

define need
Old 02-19-2008, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Same reason you need a street legal 600hp semi-race car with no top
Old 02-19-2008, 09:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Karl, That is the same unit I saw in the motorcycle catolog. I couldn't find the automotive version though - thanks for the link.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra International body Waltech frame
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archrms View Post
With regards to the security issues some have expressed by eliminating the keyed ignition; I saw a product in a motorcycle catolog for a relay that is activated by the proximity of a remote key fob. If the fob is not within ten feet of the relay, it will not complete the circuit. This sounds like it might be a good idea, but I don't know if there is a similar product for a 12V car system, or if the 6V can be modified to work in a car. Sounds like it might be a good solution for a push button system that eliminates the keyed switch.
I'm glad you brought that up. I tripped across a Utube video of a guy showing his Cobra (that sounds wrong) and he demonstrated the FOB system. It activated power to the car, then he hit the hot red "start" button.
I cant find that video on Utube anymore. If anyone can link let me know or please post it.

Another version would be the 3 step version I also like which is 1- battery safety key 2-toggle switch for fuel pump 3- start button
Old 02-19-2008, 10:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 427 with Keith Craft 427 SO 482 stroker (POND) 632HP 624lbs/ft
Not Ranked     

did you guys know corvette uses fop and start button? maybe this might be a source to search. sorry i wouldn't know how to search im not much of a chevy kind of guy.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     

You guys shold look at the button from a Honda S2000--good looking, very popular and easy to wire. Info all over the net.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I spoke to a tach at Digital Guard Dawg with regards to their keyless security system. Seems that they do have an automotive version, and that there is an optional push button that comes with the RF relay.

He explained operation as follows:
1. Relay is activated either by proximity or button on fob
2. Once relay is activated, push button can be used to start engine.
3. There is a 20 second time delay to start engine once relay is activated, or you will have to re-activate it.
4. Once engine is started it must be turned off manually. The RF relay can not turn it off either on purpose or by accident - (in case the fob goes out the window or the button is pushed by accident).

The push button that is included with the RF relay:
1. Has a ring around the button that glows either blue or red.
2. A partial push of the button activates the ACC circuit, and another partial push deactivates the ACC.
3. A full push of the button activates the starter. A second full push kills the engine.

I am waiting for the tech to send me a wiring schematic for the product to see how to integrate it into the car. If anyone has any other questions regarding operation or installation let me know and I will pass it along to the tech to get an answer. Cost for button and RF relay was $279, and for RF relay only was $189.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Look-a-like cobra POS
Not Ranked     

Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies has a pre-wired Mil spec safety "On" switch with "Start" button next to it. Optional red indicator pilot light.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #42 BDR w/ a 408 KCM stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRBB View Post
did you guys know corvette uses fop and start button? maybe this might be a source to search. sorry i wouldn't know how to search im not much of a chevy kind of guy.
Lots of cars are using the FOB method, not just corvettes
2004 BDR #42 with a 408 Keith Craft Stroker, Crimson with Silver stripes
Old 02-25-2008, 11:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1374 with 392 RDI Stroker
Not Ranked     

I know the Superformance sub dealer here in Houston (Vintage) uses the attached starter button. He has installed dozens of them with no problem.
Ignited Performance

Hope this helps
Mark

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: