Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2008, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Superformance Mkiii - Steering Coupling - U-joint

just wondering if anyone has any play in their STEERING COUPLING - U-JOINT
when i turn the steering wheel side to side i get a clunking noise from the steering shaft, its coming from the u joint beside the header, is this normal? cause the lower u joint has no play in it, anyone replaced theirs already?
Old 11-01-2008, 05:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII #887, drive it a lot!
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Kellogg
Not Ranked     

Most likely the coupling clamp bolt has loosened up.

Pull the bolt that clamps the coupling to the shaft, and check to make sure that it hasn't been overtightened and damaged. The bolt may just be loose, but if you are unsure of it's condition, just replace the bolt.

Jim Kellogg
Breesport, NY
Old 11-01-2008, 06:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

thanks for the reply but its sloppy in the u joint itself not where it connects to the shaft, dosnt seem like it should be like that.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Post a photo of the upper joint. Depending on what style it is, I may be able to help you out...

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 11-01-2008, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Do no accept ANY slop in the linkage of your steering. Do what ever is necessary to correct it, you could lose control of your car. About 3 years ago an individual who was a frequent visitor of this site had a similar situation happen to his car. Fortunately he was driving at low speed in a parking lot when the set screw (on his application) fell out allowing the connecting U joint to fall off the shaft and he lost control of his steering. You don't want THIS to happen at speed.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 11-01-2008, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas View Post
Post a photo of the upper joint. Depending on what style it is, I may be able to help you out...
good ol Blas to the rescue. the pics are in my gallery
Old 11-01-2008, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's a different style than mine (car#887).

What is the car number?

Jim Kellogg
Breesport, NY
Old 11-01-2008, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

my car number is sp 2162
Old 11-01-2008, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

FWIW I took a photo of my upper ujoint and added it to my gallery. It is different than yours.

My joint is solid. No play at all in the joint itself. A couple of years ago the lock bolt loosened slightly - there was a definate change in the steering that wasn't hard to correct.

Jim Kellogg
Bresport, NY
Old 11-01-2008, 07:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim,
Yours is the same as mine. A VW part I believe. His may be the newer style, all aluminum. A place called Flaming River (www.flamingriver.com) has a nice selection of pieces and parts. I may re-do mine over the winter...

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cobras:
I'd look for something loose. Your car is too new to have wear in the steering system...Lift the hood and wiggle the steering wheel...you should be able to see the upper universal move. Check the bolts on the lower end of the steering shaft near the steering rack on the chassis....

Old 11-01-2008, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

all looks good and tight everywhere else, i can see the u joint when i wiggle the steering wheel and the play is in the u joint. the bottom half of the joint does not move but the upper half does theres play in it.
shouldnt this be covered under warrenty tho?, car only has 700 miles on it
Old 11-01-2008, 09:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tough call, maybe if you were the first owner...And then thru the dealership where it was originally purchased...I myself think you out of luck on this one...There's an 18xx car for sale on ebay with 17 miles on it. It's probably 5 years old...
BTW: did you still want that wiring diagram?

Old 11-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobras View Post
all looks good and tight everywhere else, i can see the u joint when i wiggle the steering wheel and the play is in the u joint. the bottom half of the joint does not move but the upper half does theres play in it.
shouldnt this be covered under warrenty tho?, car only has 700 miles on it
Did you buy the car new or used? If used, the warranty doesn't transfer to a second owner. That being said, it's a safety issue so your local SPF dealer should jump in and help you resolve the problem.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 11-04-2008, 02:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

hi all, well i got me a new u joint turns out a local guy had one to replace the one on his car but turns out he has the older style also, now i figured that it would be an easy re and re, i loosend off the 2 allen head bolts and the u joint slides on the the splined shafts but theres no way of getting it off the shafts, anyone replace one before, whats the propper way of changing one of these out?
Old 11-04-2008, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You need to remove the other end of the steering shaft down near the steering rack. You might also need to loosten the bolts on the steering rack to get the clearance you nee to remove the shaft.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

dammm it was a bull **** job doing that, i did what you told me blas and just barely could slip the shaft out from the u joint, so i backed off the rack bolts and it gave me the room i needed, put in the new u joint and tightend it all back up..... now i turn the wheel and clunk clunk, i was like what the hell did i do wrong, it was the allen head on the lower u joint hitting the frame, for the life of me i couldnt figure out why it was hitting as it didnt before. long story short the rack had slid down and i didnt know it. therefor it was so close to the frame that the allen head on the lower u joint was hitting the frame, backed off the rack bolts pryed up the rack to where it was before and tightend it all down and smooth as silk, so if anyone will be doing this remember about the rack sliding down, mark everything before so you know where it all goes back and also befor you back of the rack mounting bolts , try to remove all the allen head bolts on the u joints, the shafts are notched to give some adjustment and will move freely when the bolts are loose BUT you will get more adjustment with the bolts taken right out,enough so that you may not have to back off the rack bolts, and also remember to center your steering wheel before putting in the new joint

thanks Blas for the tip on doing the job. man you know everything about these damm cars,great to know ur here helping us all out

Last edited by cobras; 11-04-2008 at 07:32 PM..
Old 11-04-2008, 08:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It's really the relationship of the owners thru SCOF and CC. There isn't much that can happen with these cars that has not been discussed on SCOF or CC in great detail at one time or another. There's a lot of knowledge out there that has been shared among the owners. Knowing where to look for the info or just following the car for may years - just you pick stuff up...tinkering with the car is half the fun of ownership....I'm sure others will agree.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

About that rack moving. Make sure the rack is level where you have it now. If not you can introduce some bump steer into the steering. You should also have the toe checked any time the rack is moved.
Mike E
Dynamic Motorsports