Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 08-25-2009, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
Craig,

Sounds like you're decision has been made. The "hunt" for the best engine that fits your own vision is the most important factor. In most cases, the final decision is combination of exhilaration and relief.

Like Rodney, I've heard nothing but good things about Smeding. Everything you purchase is a balance between the actual value of the product compared to competitors, and after market service. For me the Roush motor was money well spent.
Doug,

To be honest, I haven't. I still have quotes coming in for a 427W build. I will most likely be going with a local builder. I would love to put in a Tom Lucas 427SO, but those BB are so loud Just fyi his 427SO motor, New Genesis/Pond Block, all top end parts, turn key is less than 15K, all specs on his website.

Craig
Old 08-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Whatever you do, save yourself from some HUGE grief if you go this route, and go with the Pond block. Don't ask me how I know this........
Old 08-25-2009, 08:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey View Post
Whatever you do, save yourself from some HUGE grief if you go this route, and go with the Pond block. Don't ask me how I know this........
Yes, the prevailing opinion is to avoid the Genesis block. Pond or Shelby, if you decide on an FE.

Roush, Smeding, Keith Craft, Tom Lucas, Barry at Survival, George Gessford, etc. all have a lot of happy customers here. Sometimes it's all about "the feel" you get when you speak and correspond with people.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: owned Kirkham for 11 years
Not Ranked     

Hi Craig,

Thanks for dropping by the other day and checking out The Kirkham.

Just remember, some of those small block`s are noisy too, ha.

Good luck in your quest

Maurice
Old 08-28-2009, 01:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice19 View Post
Hi Craig,

Thanks for dropping by the other day and checking out The Kirkham.

Just remember, some of those small block`s are noisy too, ha.

Good luck in your quest

Maurice
Thanks for the ride Maurice, awesome Kirkham!!!. I think my hearing is back to normal now

Last edited by PCW; 08-28-2009 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 09-11-2009, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Roush 427 R
Not Ranked     

If you are in the New Jersey area call Stans Dream Garage . He is a Roush dealer and I had my MK III done by him. Perfect in every way . Good price too. He stans behind his work . Most important he can walk you through NJ inspection .
Old 09-11-2009, 09:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Granted, Roush is damn expensive.

Worth it? You decide.

However,to me, nothing pops the eyes when you open that hood and a polished Roush 427 is staring up at you.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
Granted, Roush is damn expensive.

Worth it? You decide.

However,to me, nothing pops the eyes when you open that hood and a polished Roush 427 is staring up at you.
How about a polished SOHC engine?
Old 09-12-2009, 05:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold Backdraft #488 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

Craig, after doing my homework I felt the best motor for me was a Roush. See my warranty experience Roush is replacing my motor

Best of luck
Peter
Old 09-12-2009, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
How about a polished SOHC engine?
Then my tongue pops out too!
Old 09-12-2009, 06:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by peters44 View Post
Craig, after doing my homework I felt the best motor for me was a Roush. See my warranty experience Roush is replacing my motor

Best of luck
Peter
Peter,

That's great that Roush took care of you like that. But, if you were not that close to VMS, would you have been taken care of like that? You had VMS install the motor, what if I installed my own motor? Will Roush be there for me? If I go with VMS and get the complete turn key from them, will they help me the same way they helped you? I live in CA, how would they do that? These are my concerns with going with Backdraft/Roush, no dealers are close to me. I have 2 Superformance in both directions, 2 hrs away. Investing 57K in a car and not having support if something goes wrong is a problem.

Craig
Old 09-12-2009, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCW View Post
Peter,

That's great that Roush took care of you like that. But, if you were not that close to VMS, would you have been taken care of like that? You had VMS install the motor, what if I installed my own motor? Will Roush be there for me? If I go with VMS and get the complete turn key from them, will they help me the same way they helped you? I live in CA, how would they do that? These are my concerns with going with Backdraft/Roush, no dealers are close to me. I have 2 Superformance in both directions, 2 hrs away. Investing 57K in a car and not having support if something goes wrong is a problem.

Craig
That's one of the reasons I went with SPF instead of BDR.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
That's one of the reasons I went with SPF instead of BDR.
I'm not bashing BDR, I actually think they have a great car. On the track they are tearing it up with wins. I have talked to a number of their dealers, Jay from Vintage, Frank Dodd from BDR Racing and Bill from GC Perf. All of them have been great but when asked about how the warranty will work with the motor, it seems that it is more my problem to deal with Roush. That doesn't seem right when I paid them the money for the motor and to do the install. I can just see a nightmare waiting to happen. I have a problem I call the dealer, they say well your on the west coast you can deal with Roush. I call Roush and they say, you need to deal with your dealer that did the install and work through them. Both sides are pointing fingers at each other and I'm the one in the middle and who's out the money, time and frustration.

If I felt that I would be taken care of like Peter was with the above hypothetical, I wouldn't mind giving BDR/Roush my business and my hard earned money. I know SPF dealer would bend over backwards to make things right if something when wrong, mainly because they are close to me, much like VMS did for Peter. The question is, would BDR do the same for me even though I'm on the west coast???

Craig
Old 09-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCW View Post
I'm not bashing BDR, I actually think they have a great car. On the track they are tearing it up with wins. I have talked to a number of their dealers, Jay from Vintage, Frank Dodd from BDR Racing and Bill from GC Perf. All of them have been great but when asked about how the warranty will work with the motor, it seems that it is more my problem to deal with Roush. That doesn't seem right when I paid them the money for the motor and to do the install. I can just see a nightmare waiting to happen. I have a problem I call the dealer, they say well your on the west coast you can deal with Roush. I call Roush and they say, you need to deal with your dealer that did the install and work through them. Both sides are pointing fingers at each other and I'm the one in the middle and who's out the money, time and frustration.

If I felt that I would be taken care of like Peter was with the above hypothetical, I wouldn't mind giving BDR/Roush my business and my hard earned money. I know SPF dealer would bend over backwards to make things right if something when wrong, mainly because they are close to me, much like VMS did for Peter. The question is, would BDR do the same for me even though I'm on the west coast???

Craig
There as old saying, "start with the end in mind." It seems like the first decision is not how a hypothetical warranty issue might be resolved, but which car is right for you.

If you buy an SPF with a Roush in California, a Roush dealer/installer would handle any potential problems. If a BDR is the car that you really want, then work with a Roush dealer/installer like Full Throttle or Mustang Ranch to determine how potential warranty issues might be resolved (even if you or some other third party does the install).

At the end of the day, a BDR or a SPF dealer might be an advocate for you should a problem arise, but the main contact regarding any potential engine problems would be your dealer/installer, or you (if self installed).

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 09-13-2009, 04:53 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

The Roush warranty is national. If a problem arises with the engine it can be serviced anywhere with the same Warranty paperwork that I must fill out for Peter or the local SPFs with Roush engines that we have serviced here because there is no local SPF dealer in the Northeast.

It's best to take it to a dealer/installer for a warranty issue, but you will be covered to the same level a local customer would. That is the second biggest reason the Roush warranty stands above all others, they have a full support network in place unlike the smaller builders. The biggest reason of course is the coverage of the labor aspect.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The best warranty is one you will never need because it does not fail. If you buy the right engine from the beginning you will not have problems. That being said when mine was being installed 1200 miles away there was an issue with a stumble the installer found. He had the ability to repair but I requested to contact Roush. He indicated he had not been paid for the last repair. In the end Roush made amends with him and addressed the issue with a revised carburator. I was not impressed at the time but now more than a year later the Roush engine has exceeded all expectations with zero issues. If you are not mechanically inclined get your car from a local dealer, besides the engine there will be chassis issues. If you are mechanically inclined be ready to repair items on your own. These are not Toyotas or Honda's. It is because of this issue I feel a low mileage cobra , under 1500 miles is worth more than a new, all the bugs, and you will have bugs will have been sorted.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Roush stumble

What was the fix for your stumble? My Roush 427R has a tip-in stumble that I have been working on. I tried to get info about the carb setup from Roush to verify that mine hasn't been tweeked by someone, but no reply.

Mine has the Holley Street Avenger 870, but I noticed that Roush is now supplying them with the 770 carb.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEE TEE View Post
What was the fix for your stumble? My Roush 427R has a tip-in stumble that I have been working on. I tried to get info about the carb setup from Roush to verify that mine hasn't been tweeked by someone, but no reply.

Mine has the Holley Street Avenger 870, but I noticed that Roush is now supplying them with the 770 carb.
How long have you owned the motor? My recommendation would be to go back to the dealer that you bought the engine from and ask them to be your advocate in getting the issue resolved. This was a known problem on some motors several years ago and Roush ended up swapping out the carbs.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 09-16-2009, 07:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics / Roush 427 SR
Not Ranked     

Gee Tee

Check on the top of the float bowl and see if you have a paint dot there.
My 427SR #444 came with a 770 with a blue dot on the top of the float bowl and had the stumble problem. Roush sent me another carburetor with a green dot on it and the problem is gone.

I don't really know the difference in the two and it is nothing visible. The green dot model has the same size air bleeds, squirters and jets as the blue dot.

I know two other Roush 427 owners that had the same stumble problem and Roush replaced their blue dot carbs with green dots and fixed the stumble.

Jody
Roush #1
Lone Star Classics
Roush Edition #01
Roush 427 SR #444
Old 09-16-2009, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If that doesn't work, try richening up the idle air screws about 1/8th of a turn out each. That stumble could be a slight lean transition.

Worked for me on another engine.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: