Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 11:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2920 w/ Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     
Default No rear sway bar?

Spent the last year familiarizing myself with my 2009/2010 Superformance (2920). Now I’m going to start experimenting with the handling (semi-spirited street-use). I’m thinking the first thing to try is to remove the rear swaybar (back end feels too stiff). Any late-model Superformance cars running without a rear swaybar on the street? Trying free stuff before I start throwing money at it.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hummm…

Maybe I’m barking up the wrong tree? My heavily modified 15 year old Miata feels like it will run circles around my Cobra in tight quarters. Granted the Miata has aftermarket everything, but with comparable wheelbase and weight, why shouldn’t my Cobra carve “real word” turns in a similar fashion? It can’t be entirely attributable to my garbage tires.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #522
Not Ranked     

Factory suspension isn't real good for aggressive driving. You don't have power steering, which takes some time to get proficient with. And yes, the tires make a huge difference, especially when comparing high profile 15s to low profile tires. The sidewall flex is significant.

Lastly, these are old school cars. Your Miata will make an average driver look great. Cobra will make an average driver look very unskilled. Therein lies the fun!

Last edited by vatdevil; 12-23-2011 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: Added text
Old 12-24-2011, 01:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #455, KC427W, TWM-FI
Not Ranked     

Usually loosening up the rear doesn't make for better handling. You are going to create a bunch more understeer if you remove the rear sway bar. Are you lifting the inner front tire around turns? Why do you think removing the rear sway bar will make it handle better?
Sway bars are nice because they don't have a huge negative effect on the ride but make the handling better. If you're removing sway bars you will have to get some thicker springs and stiffer shocks to make up the difference.
If the car is understeering, you can increase rear sway bar diameter or decrease front sway bar diameter to restore balance. To correct oversteer with sway bars, it is necessary to install either a smaller rear bar or a larger front bar to achive a more neutral feel.

Last edited by Rwillia4; 12-25-2011 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: oops, reversed the terms
Old 12-24-2011, 05:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I added a rear sway bar to mine and found no real negative to ride quality. Significantly helped corner entry.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

I have to take exception to the post of Rwillia4.

Removing the rear anti-sway bar will tighten the car. This is what NASCAR calls "Push". Adding a bar or installing a stronger anti-sway bar to the rear will loosen the car (more oversteer). Be very careful adding oversteer. These cars already have too much power and too short a wheelbase. Adding oversteer (loose) is a recipe for disaster.

Removing the bar will cause the care to have understeer which is how most street cars are set up from the factory. When you get in trouble you lift and the car tends to properly correct.

Bob
Old 12-24-2011, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

On my car..adding the rear sway bar changed the handling from understeer to more neutral. I also went with poly bushings on both. Still pushed some, mainly due to crappy 15 inch high profiles. So switched to 30 series 18 inch tires. Yes..18s. Cannot believe the difference the new tires make...brought this car to life. Much safer!
Old 12-24-2011, 07:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob - concur with your comments reference removing the rear anti-sway bar will tighten the car. I have several different sized, adjustable sway bars for the Miata…each one feels completely different…as does shock settings, tire pressure, etc…

You bring up a great point about throttle lift mid turn. I’ll have to do some more research.

Again, not setting it up for VIR…only experimenting for spirited backcountry ride setup. Want to stay old school.

Last edited by Voyager; 12-24-2011 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: x