Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 08:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspano01 View Post
too funny about the vette driver! i think you have to do this just for fun for the most part. i think as long as i feel like I am improving and learning, i am doing good. if i can pass a few cars every now and then - all the better....but there are some really good drivers out there!
You start out doing it just for fun and all is good, then one day,you think to yourself,man,I really like doing this and maybe I should take it to the next level and race competitively.......
Then you look for a race car or build your own and your hooked and begin racing........it's kinda like drugs, a dope addict starts off small, taking pills and what not,when that doesn't suffice, they move on to bigger more addicting drugs,before they know it, they are a full blown junkie..........
Pretty much the same with tracking your car........so,I say to you,stop right now, quit while your ahead and stil have a few dollars in your pocket,because I know for a fact,if you stay in it long enough, you'll just about go broke!!!!!!

But you'll never have more fun doing anything else!!!!!!!!!

David
sspano01 likes this.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C Cobra, 521 CU BBF, Holley ProJection, T56 Magnum, 3.5:1 TruTrac 9-inch
Not Ranked     

hi, just to update in case some people are looking up this info in the future....

i have pretty much completed the changes on my Cobra and am now ready for my next 2 track days coming up Monday/Tuesday.

My latest set of changes include
1) Canton 460 ford 7.5" low-profile baffled road race pan, which also requires a new oil pump, pickup, mounting stud for the pickup. All available at canton.
2) Moroso 3-quart accumulator, 25psi solenoid charge/discharge valve, and new twist-loc plumbing
3) 295/50/15 and 265/60/15 AVON CR6ZZ series tires
4) lateral support to roll bar, head rest bar added to the driver/passenger rear loop
5) flaming river mustang II power steering rack. requires a special coupler because it is NOT a splined input shaft, it is some weird triangle/pyramid input shaft.

flaming river rack was a last minute item....while i was doing some work on it. i noticed that the front wheels were not pointing the same way. come to find out the existing steering rack had some 1/4" slop on both inner tie-rods!!! I figured I should replace that before taking it back on the track. The rack I was using was just a 'remanufactured' mustang II rack, probably not the ideal one for track events I suppose.

At any rate, i took the car out today on my 'street test track' for about 30 minutes today.

Whatever people say about the AVON's....i think they are right! The combination of the new springs, shocks, corner balancing, AVON's, and the flaming river rack makes the car drive/handle/feel like my wife's fancy BMW, or my friend's Z06 corvette, except with more torque This little car has gone through quite a change over the last 6 weeks and I am very excited to get it back on the track and ..carefully.. build up lap after lap.

SGwick likes this.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C Cobra, 521 CU BBF, Holley ProJection, T56 Magnum, 3.5:1 TruTrac 9-inch
Not Ranked     

and if I can keep up with the Miata's and the Volkwagon GTI now - I'll be really happy :P

but i think that is more my skill level at issue in that respect
Old 07-31-2012, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

well! to follow up on my posts, what a difference!
i was not trying to hit crazy high speeds, and really 105-110 is plenty fast for me.

those avon tires, for 15 inch, are outstanding! it took maybe 2 runs (30 laps or so) to get the tires broken in or something. the first run out, they were swishy, and most of that went away after the 2nd or 3rd run group.

the canton oil pan and the accumulator, worked flawlessly! i had near 60psi around the entire track. no more bottoming to zero on the oil gauge!

the suspension changes were still working well and they matched the tires nicely. the car's capabilities are now definately above mine. so now i can practice more with it and work on building another dedicated track car so as I improve over the next 1-2 years, I am not risking my little cobra all the time.

one shot of a run
watkins 073012 0248 - YouTube

a pic right before going to the track - and it still looks like this

cobra-072912 by sspano01, on Flickr

** THANKS AGAIN FOR THE COMMENTS AND SUPPORT **
** I APPRECIATE IT **
Old 07-31-2012, 08:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
the suspension changes were still working well and they matched the tires nicely. the car's capabilities are now definately above mine. so now i can practice more with it and work on building another dedicated track car so as I improve over the next 1-2 years, I am not risking my little cobra all the time.
Nicely done............little changes can mean a lot as you've just found out......

BTW: you are now officialy screwed!!!!!!
Already looking for a track car,yep, your screwed!!!!!!!!!!

David
Old 08-01-2012, 07:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanks! now i will work on practing and try to hit a few more track events.

and yes, i am screwed! this is totally more fun than just going to car shows :P
Old 08-01-2012, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40
Not Ranked     

Quote:

If you want an even bigger adrenaline rush move up to full on wheel to wheel racing. That's a total drug addiction (and huge money pit) !
Old 08-01-2012, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i'll bet a huge money pit !
i dont want to wheel-to-wheel my little cobra though - i love it too much :O

Hence, i need to start thinking about a future track car. I hear Factory Five makes a nice Daytona coupe!
Old 08-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

been there,done that.........restored a 65 Mustang Fastback to look like a 65 GT-350, hit the car shows for the first 2 years,rarely drove it, that got old, so I then began drag racing it for 2 or 3 years and driving it more, more fun.
then hit a road course with it, mucho more fun.....got bit by the bug......
then found a 65 Mustang coupe and built a road racer out of it and have been doing that for the last 9 years.........

David
Old 08-01-2012, 05:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i was looking at your 65 coupe! i have a 66 convertible and was thinking of a 1st gen mustang. i'd like a fastback, but they are soooo overpriced for even a basket case. the coupe's are much better priced. saw one for $1200!
Old 09-04-2012, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

well! looks like things are improving further!!
i've now been back to watkins again, went to mosport, pocono, and back to watkins again 9/3 and 9/4. heading to NJMP Lightning this weekend - probably my last DE event for the year - everything else falls near birthdays/anniversary/etc.

i've gotten my track time at Watkins Glen down nearly 40 seconds from when I started at the beginning of June. I ran a slow 3:15, and today I got a 2:35 lap! I'll be shooting for 2:25 next, but i need to work alot more on carrying speed. its amazing that even with the amount of power my cobra has, it is still hard to pickup 'lost' speed that you scrub off in a corner.

Here is one run from yesterday, 2:38 i think.

IMG 1331 - YouTube

I was running my app in "timer mode" so I could see my lap-to-lap comparisons on the dashboard today as I crossed the start/finish line each lap. Even had the Cobra up to 121mph on the back straight at Watkins :O
Old 09-04-2012, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Your camera mount left me feeling a little shaken, but I enjoyed the sound.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 10-07-2012, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Holy crow!
So....as I kept improving with the Cobra this year and making more changes to it to make it better at track days. I kept raising the bar and getting more confident....

I signed up for the SCCA Drivers School at Watkins Glen and rented an SCCA Legal Spec Racer Ford. It looked like a fun car, and it was a Ford
But I wondered - would it be scary? How would it handle? Only having 100 hp but weighing in at a mere 1600 pounds, would it be fast?

WOW!!! What an awesome race car! 100% on my must purchase list now before next season.

Anyway, I ran the drivers school - finished 1st place in my group and 3rd overall out of 12 cars. I had the pole position for my group which was cool
I got signed off too on my first drivers school!!

Ran the regional race on October 6 - and oh-my-gosh! It make track/HPDE seem so tame What a great time.
I qualified 10th place, then during the race - someone blew their engine right in front of me and i got sprayed with smoke/oil and took a really lousy turn #1 at WGI and got passed by many cars. I then passed many cars on the way back up to maybe 10th or 8th place overall. And then - I spun the SRF in the boot at WGI! No damage and No Contact, but I got sit there for about 90 seconds and watch everyone go by me And that was the next to last lap - so I finished 21st out of 26. But I would have been closer to 10th had I not spun - don't they all say that?!

scca last chance 100612 - YouTube

There is a video link to the Regional. THe good part is at the 10 minute marker

Thanks again for the advice/etc as I was moving the Cobra through track days this year!

Looking forward to next year, HPDE again with the Cobra and running another race to get my Regional License! Maybe run and gun next year too!!
Old 10-08-2012, 03:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Looks like fun. ... I lost track of the number of times I've spun my Cobra.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 10-31-2012, 10:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40
Not Ranked     

I told you wheel to wheel racing was addictive! If you think Spec Racer was fun step up to formula cars. My speed addiction got really bad and didn't end til I got to Formula Atlantics. Nothing like 30 cars all heading for corner one at a race start!
Old 11-01-2012, 05:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It was alot of fun, a helped a friend of mine as crew for his F2000. Wow, i thought I was going fast, they were all running near 1:55 laps on the full course at WGI near 100mph average.

But the F2000 is expensive! The SRF is a nice cost point to start with I think.

And now that its the off-season, I am trying to find other things to do. I have one track day at Lime Rock on 11/12 that I am going to. Maybe I can find something down south in Jan or Feb to do....I gotta keep my practice up.

And of course...now I am rebuilding the engine in the Cobra because I spun a rod bearing!!! In august at NJMP lightning, i picked up a knock. Patched it back together with bubble gum and emery cloth, got two autocrosses and 300 miles out of it and then it started knocking again.

Weird...its the #1 rod, first oil pressure point. I've have a thread running about this on 460forum.com.

I should have the engine back together within a week or so and I am thinking of doing a dry sump on it. I was having alot of oil pressure swings at NJMP and elevated oil temperature.

Oh well - you play - you pay someone told me :O
Old 11-01-2012, 05:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary-427 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK LAKE View Post
sspano01 Been tracking my car since 99. Been tech inspecting since 02 at events, here's some of the basic stuff I find not done to a car or driver
1 headlights need to be taped
2 loose front hub bearings, need to be greased and tighten the bearing until there is no play then back off to closest hole and install pin.
3 Helmets, most events will not allow motorcycle helmets, they are not the same as sa helmets. Some tracks will not allow open face helmets. I like them over full face because of eye sweeping on the track.
4 no loose stuff in trunk or glovebox.
5 tape over + side of battery cable and battery tight in location.
6 Start at the front of the car and check EVERY nut and bolt for tightness. I run aircraft nylocks and still check them. Check for any rearend play in back of car from mounts or bushings.
7 Wheel alignment of what you use on the street is not going to work well on the track. Higher camber and caster with toe maybe out instead of in. Street setup is ok but will not get the most out of the car for handling.
8 15" wheels verse 17" wheels. I started like alot of other people here with 15" wheels. To start with BFG tires are poor for track running . The only thing you will learn from them is the point of loosing traction and sliding the car. They are fun for burn outs. They will teach you how to learn better control of the car. One of the fastest cobra racers ran 15" wheels, Dick Smith. His driving style allowed the car do drift and slide through the turns. He used to pass guys with 18" wheels and tires at speed. He said "he drove by the seat of his pants". I believed him. I like my 17" wheels, but down side is no prewarning of when you are loosing traction, the car just whips around. You will run faster IMP with 17" over 15". We have had winners in street class running 15" AVON's with a 200 wear. These tires are one of the best in 15".
You will need to check rules on classes.
9 If you have an expensive paint job, tape or spray protective shield on both rear fender flairs to prevent damage and stone chips to car.
10 Motor, overfill the oil by 1.5 quarts when racing. These high "G" turns will kill the oil pressure and oil from returning to pan. A cheap way to help this problem is to add a 3 quart accusump to the system and have it set at 45 psi for track racing. Less if using it for a preluber. Long sweeping turns kill oil pressure. This applys to ALL cars and motors.
11 fuel setup in tank, I run over 1/2 tank of fuel to not have a lean out with the FI system, it's not a fuel cell, but has foam in it to stop splash. Make sure you know you have enough fuel in tank for 20 minute run. Nothing worse than almost getting hit from behind because of loosing fuel to motor.
12 Last on the info, 98% of the cobra guys at meets are helpful, nice, will lend tools and even parts. This is about having a GOOD time, meeting new people and even learning some things about how to drive your car better. Most events have pro drivers that will go out with you and run a couple of laps and make pointers for better driving. Ask questions.
KNOW YOUR LIMITS. We all get the juices flowing on the track. Stay clam and within your safe level of speed. Until you know the track well and get upto speed, start out slow and learn the corners of the track and cruise around in the beginner group. I do. Warms the car up, gives you time to check the feeling of it, and listen for the motor running. There is this little guy whos sits on your shoulder, LISTEN to him when he says something is wrong. 99 out of 100 he's right. Dust collectors, in the USA everyone want to be the winner, I have a wall full of $12.00 trophys. They are not worth anything if you get hurt, damage the car, or get killed. As I get older the yellow line down my back gets a little wider. This is because of reflexes get a little slower. This is a fact of life. I don't push my car as hard any more like I used too. It's alot more important to go home in 1 piece. This is a start, you will learn alot of info at the track. There is no harm to start in the back of the field and cruise a couple of laps and get off. Go back to the pit or trailer and relax. Cool off car, get a drink and let your own blood pressure go down. Next session do the same thing and you will be more relaxed and drive better. If you goto the Run&Gun I can promise you that by the end of the 1st day you will have been on the track a min of 4-5 times and be tired. This is a good time to stop. Do a safety check on the car, look at tires, tire pressures and jackup car and look on the under side for any damage or oil leaks. Nothing worst than having a car fire or sliding through your oil on a rear tire. Yes I am at fault for this at the last R&G in Hasteings. No damage to car or driver. This is what the emergency crews are there for. A valve cover gasket cracked and a small piece broken off. Oil hit the r/r tire and the exhaust light up the oil on the headers. Replaced 1 wire. Even the tech guy has problems. Good luck, have fun. Hope to see you at Hallet in Oct. Rick L. ps for more info, need first name, SS is not it.
Avon's have a wear rating of 80. they are expensive but very good tires. The best choices for 15" tires.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The Avons are great! I'm running those now
I'm thinking about upgrading to Penske shocks now as well
Old 11-01-2012, 06:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

qa1's are junk imo, unless you get the dbl adjustable than i don't know but they have to be better. penske's would be real nice. don't know if it will make much difference with your higher rate springs though. if you want to try different tires you could go to stock car type, hoosier i believe, whatever they use on current round track stuff now and have a pretty good choice of compounds and priced competitively.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Just a word about over filling your crankcase. You may experience some blow by on your passenger side valve cover. Here is a suggestion: assuming you are NOT running a PCV valve. Remove your valve cover breather on the passenger side and take some of the material that is used in fuel cells that baffles your gasoline from sloshing around (probably a piece about 3" square by 1" thick) and stuff it inside your valve breather hole (also assuming you have a baffle plate below the hole attached to your valve cover from inside)then place your valve cover breather back in place. Of course you could also use an oil catch can that is connected by way of a 3/8" hose to a breather cap with a nipple on it. However, if you over fill and do nothing you will more than likely get some oil that is being pushed out of your breather cap(s) during some of your turns.

Another thing or two, if you ever go to a set of slicks you will think you are superman on a road course. Also, tire selections are not so great in 15" and 17" sizes. You may want to look at the 18" tires especially if you are considering buying another set of wheels. Big breaks will fit nicely on most wheels larger than 15". Good tires and good breaks can usually out perform horsepower on a road course.

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"