Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2002, 10:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     
Question Jerico & Richmond G/boxes 4,5,6spd

I am after some technical data on jerico and richmond gearboxes specifically dimmensions,i'm looking at changing to a manual box due to my wanting to get serious on the track, currently setup for an AOD behind a 396 Windsor.
My concern is that neither of these boxes will fit due to the existing tunnel was fabricated around the AOD, any info or links to this data would be appreciated.

OZCOBRA.
Old 06-30-2002, 12:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

you should be a woman paul, you change your mind so many times! Its about time you saw the light and went with a manual, now we can really have some fun together!

Anything is possible (if you can justify throwing bucket loads of money at it!).
Old 06-30-2002, 03:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking

ANDY,

THE DEMONS HAVE BEEN A CALLING , AT LEAST THIS WILL STOP THE WOMAN FROM DRIVING IT AND BY THE WAY THATS NOT ME!!!!!!!!

PAUL
Quote:
DRIVE IT , AS IF YOU STOLE IT!!!!
Old 06-30-2002, 06:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison, 351W
Not Ranked     
Default Richmond Gear Website

http://www.richmondgear.com/

Richmond 5 Speed Road Race
http://www.richmondgear.com/catalogpdf/catpg28-32.pdf

Last edited by mg2166; 06-30-2002 at 06:11 AM..
Old 06-30-2002, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

G'day Mate,
The Richmond 5 spd and Jerico 4 spd transmissions will fit because an AOD is larger than both. Overall length will be very close in either case. I have driven a road race syncro'd Jerico and it shifts like a dream. You might also want to look at the newer Tremec TKO II. It's supposed to be pretty strong and shift well.
HTH,
Mike
Old 07-01-2002, 01:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks mg2166,
The tech data was awesome thanks for the link.

Mike, l don't now much about these gearboxes,Do you know anything about the linkage and shifter set-up?What is required in the way of shifters to run the std. 'T' shifter?
Thanks for your input.

REGARDS
PAUL

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-01-2002, 09:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

I won't fit in the tunnel, aw christ, it's only fiberglass the easiest material to modify to whatever shape and size you need.
Old 07-01-2002, 10:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Paul,
The shifters and linkage on the Richmond and the Jerico are external and mount on the left side of the trans. They both make standard "H" pattern shifters as well as inline shifters for drag racing. Being from down under, is your car built as a right hand or left hand drive?
You will need aprox 6 in. of clearance on the left side of the trans for the linkage. If your car is right hand drive you may want to consider the new Tremec TKO II. The shifter is an internal rail type tha mounts to the center top of the trans tailhousing.
Cheers,
Mike
Old 07-02-2002, 01:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

GEEZ I FORGOT IT WAS ONLY FIBREGLASS !!!!!! MR .FIXIT MY TUNNEL IS ACTUALLY THE BACKBONE OF MY CHASSIS TRIANGLATED BOX STEEL TUBE AND SHEET STEEL COVERED, AND GUESS WHAT? IT TO CAN BE MODIFIED, WITH A PLASMA CUTTER!!

MIKE.
THE CAR IS RIGHT HAND DRIVE.
IF IT WILL FIT DO YOU THINK A MODIFIED STD."T" IS WORKABLE FROM A RIGHT HAND DRIVING POSI ? ALSO THE TKO II IS A 5 TO 6000 DOLLAR OPTION HERE .MY THINKING IS IF I SMASH THAT BOX THEN REPAIRING OR REPLACING IT BRINGS ME CLOSE TO A RICHMOND/JERICO OR OUR HOLINGER PRICING. I WOULD RATHER DO IT ONCE AND DO IT PROPERLY.
SORRY TO GO ON BUT JUST HOW GOOD IS THE TKO II ,I ONLY KNOW OF 1 HERE AND IT'S NOT IN THE CAR AS YET, TORQUE RATINGS RELIABILITY IN A ROAD RACING SITUATION.

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR TIME

PAUL
Old 07-02-2002, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Paul,
Have you checked out
www.jericoperformance.com
They have great photos of their set ups.
The shifter handle on the Richmond and Jerico bolt on so fabricating a new handle to bring the shifter closer to the right side of the trans tunnel shouldn't be a problem.
Although it's more work you may also want to consider drilling new holes in the bellhousing and rotating the trans 5 or 10 degrees towards the right.
This will accomplish two things; It will bring the shifter closer to the right side of the tunnel and will make the shift handle be in a more favorable position. It also might make more room in the trans tunnel area if you have some ubstruction with your car's "backbone" I would check with the trans manufacturer first to see if this modification might cause and lubrication concerns but I doubt it will. I'll be sending you a private e-mail to discuss options for buying your trans set up.
Ta for now,
Mike
Old 07-02-2002, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon, windsor 408 stroker, tremec. Also GSX008
Not Ranked     

Paul - I have the TKO (not the road race II) behind my Windsor 408, and I give it plenty of stick, road and a few times track. Totally OK with it, although shift quality is so-so. Friend of mine uses a TKO behind a 550 hp blown chevy 350, also no problems.
The 'boxes you are talking about are nice but oh so expensive!!
Old 07-02-2002, 10:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What friend.... friend? You can't be talking about the same man?

Vince
Old 07-03-2002, 03:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

wilf
Thanks for the tko info, yes those boxes are both nice annddd expensive but hey you only live once!!! Seriously though wilf i am willing to take a little longer and spend a little extra in the build to get what will be a purpose built car.

Regards Paul
Old 07-03-2002, 07:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Call David Kee @ 217-967-4161. He is a Jerrico dealer as well as a Toploader Rebuilder. He comes highly recommended on the forum.
Old 07-03-2002, 11:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Cal,
I will pick his brain.

Paul
Old 07-04-2002, 08:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 SC
Send a message via AIM to Specialk Send a message via Skype™ to Specialk
Not Ranked     

OZ,

I believe the Club Cobra member Coyled has a Tremec TKO in his Cobra. He is running a 660hp 358cid engine. I know he runs it hard at the track. Maybe he will chime in here or you could do a search for more info on his car.
Old 07-04-2002, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

SpecialK
Kris,
When do you guys leave. Shouldn't you be on the road already?

TURK
Old 07-05-2002, 09:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

kris,
Thanks for the info l will add that to the data so far and i will check out coyled thanks for taking the time to reply.
Regards Paul

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-06-2002, 11:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OZ, I broke the shift tabs in the second and third gear syncros twice, then third gear flew apart. This was with my first tremec. I have since gone to the road race version of the tremec. It has a hardend third gear, hardend cluster, and .82 5th gear. D and D says they have not seen one break, yet, so we'll see. The tremecs are a little stiff aty first but loosen up after a 100 miles or so. If I was going track only, the jerrico is the way to go. I would be leary of the richmond for the track. I have driven 2 cars with that tranny and it does not shift fast enough up or down. That was a few years ago so if it they shift better now somebody chime in. The top loaders shift fast also. scott.
Old 07-06-2002, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi OZ You didn't say what you are going to do with your car? Road race, 1/4 mile drag, pure street car, or top speed race. WHAT is the horsepower you are going to make? Some trans will not live long behind 500 hp. Is your car running street tires or slicks? Who's clutch are you using, if McLeod soft-loc and properly set up big hp is not out of the question. I had a richmond 6-sp in my car and BFG tires on it, without the blower the motor makes 340hp and 428tor. and the rear wheels. The trans will not shift under full throttle due to the centerforce clutch. The trans is rated at 450hp 450tork. This is happening without slicks on the car, to keep drivetrain breakage down. I just brought a G-Force trans, which the hard driving people are using with no breakage. Trans is good for 1000 hp and 1100 tork. clutch or clutchless. Trans and shifter were 6000.00$ but well worth every dollar. It took me 6 months of overtime to save the money to buy it. My motor with supercharger will make 570 rwhp and 620 tork at rearwheels. Jerico, Tex Rex, Lenco and G-force are the strongest on the market at this time. Good luck with your choice Rick Lake