LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2010, 04:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ford 289
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles roybal View Post
Went out for a ride...2 miles from home motor dies. Carb has fuel....turns over ..no go. MSD 6AL-2 has small red LED light that turns on when key is turned on...no red light. 2,455.6 miles on odometer....paid $75.00 towe fee to get home...guess will run the tests tomorrow on box and coil..think it's the box. My confidence is back to driving around the block.
This thread seemed to drift on to dizzy issues, so I'm pulling it back to your question.
Do you know about the company in NC, that fixes and modifies MSDs for NASCAR. They will test a unit and offer suggestion for correction.
Google: tech west racing

Hope this helps!
Old 11-21-2010, 04:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Ken and Charles,

Here's the MSD repair place URL: http://www.techwestracing.com/

Tom
Old 11-21-2010, 05:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

No thread drift!

The problem IS a broken dizzy gear, not an MSD failure.

...moving on.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:41 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
... but now MSD has a steel gear to go with the billet steel cam.
Well that would seem to make a lot of sense, I guess. Back 5+ years ago when I looking at the cam/distributor gear issue, a steel DG was not available. The iron gears didn't last on the rollers, the bronze gears were better, and then the composite gears were, supposedly, better still. I opted to ignore the issue and go with the old school iron/iron combo. Making a distributor gear out of the same steel that's on the end of the cam would seem to make a lot of sense. Too much sense, in fact... there's probably some sort of flaw in what appears to be common sense reasoning.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

MSD makes a steel gear for a "steel billet" cam and it has been proven for years.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've been hearing these new "plastic" gears for awhile now and curious as to how they would play out. I think this is the first thread we've had about a failure of one? I guess there not a magic bullet after all.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:29 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
MSD makes a steel gear for a "steel billet" cam and it has been proven for years.
You ought to include a link to the MSD steel gear product that fits their FE distributor so future searchers can find it easily.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 757 ERA 427 SC , 482 Al. big block
Not Ranked     

You might also check out Nelson Specialties in Mooresville , NC at 800-494-7532 . I just used them to check out my MSD unit and was very happy with the service . Turns out there was nothing wrong with the box and all I had to pay was a $55 test and inspection fee . They also repair/modify MSD boxes for the NASCAR teams .... whether you use Techwest or Nelson , either is competent and will do quality work .... NASCAR teams don`t deal with incompetent companies .
If the box is under warranty , then neither com[any can do warranty work .

Bob
Old 11-21-2010, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FRR MKIII 408w
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up KC good man

KC class act...quick responce from KC..will send dist. to him replace gear...gave me tech. on flushing motor. Here are some pics.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance#191 Silver/Blk stripes, Keith Craft 427W 600/585
Not Ranked     

I feel your pain...same thing happened to me. Left me high and dry on I-35. KC was good about replacing the gear with a bronze one. Mine lasted 5000 miles. Also replaced the cheezy dist. hold down (which had cracked) with a billet MSD. Will see how long this gear lasts.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I can't see any plastic gear surviving driving an oil pump.

Run a steel gear compatible with your steel roller cam.

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 11-25-2010, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

We actively are NOT using MSD boxes , due to their failure rate and BS support system, MSD has cost me thousands of dollars in replacement parts , labor and good will with our customers.

There are alternate boxes out there , use them.

Steve
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 11-26-2010, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Default MSD 6al

I am running MSD 6AL and an MSD 351 dist part #8578, as this distributor has the ignition module inside and uses a Master Blaster 2 coil, I carry a spare module, cap and rotor, I am interested to know if the MSD 6AL Box fails can I rig in another backup system without buying another 6AL or is the car out of action until I get the box sorted?

The 1960's rocked!
Old 11-26-2010, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPO2820 408W; former ERA CCX 3-3408 owner
Not Ranked     
Default MSD boxes are junk

The smartest thing I did yet with my new Superformance 351W based stroker was wiring my MSD distributor (Pro Billet, Small Diameter, Magnetic Trigger) directly into the existing (and Superformance factory stock) Ford DuraSpark ignition module situated in the passenger footwell, underneath the glove box area. Since it’s a normal Ford factory part installed literally on 100’s of thousands of Fords I don’t carry any spares with me. The wiring took all of 5 minutes to orchestrate.

I intentionally avoided using the MSD box with my distributor because of the reputation they have for high failure rates and myriad problems.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You have a very valid point. A NEW ford duraspark with lifetime warranty from autozone is $20.00 and is plug and play on a SPF. They dont have a rev limiter but other than that perform very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsullivan View Post
The smartest thing I did yet with my new Superformance 351W based stroker was wiring my MSD distributor (Pro Billet, Small Diameter, Magnetic Trigger) directly into the existing (and Superformance factory stock) Ford DuraSpark ignition module situated in the passenger footwell, underneath the glove box area. Since it’s a normal Ford factory part installed literally on 100’s of thousands of Fords I don’t carry any spares with me. The wiring took all of 5 minutes to orchestrate.

I intentionally avoided using the MSD box with my distributor because of the reputation they have for high failure rates and myriad problems.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

A Ford OEM box is pretty much "plug and play" for any engine ignition system. It's not substantially different than the wiring required for an MSD box. I used to run BOTH, with them wired in such a way that it was easy to swap "plug in connectors" to change from one box to the other. I wanted a rev limiter so the Ford box was my backup.

Ant, the model MSD dist you have will not run "stand alone", as is typical for MOST MSD dist's, they require an ignition box of some kind. A quick and easy well to tell if your MSD dist is a "ready to run" version (no box required) is by the vacuum advance. If you DON'T have a vacuum advance, it's almost certain you DON'T have a "ready to run" (stand alone) MSD dist.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
A Ford OEM box is pretty much "plug and play" for any engine ignition system. It's not substantially different than the wiring required for an MSD box. I used to run BOTH, with them wired in such a way that it was easy to swap "plug in connectors" to change from one box to the other. I wanted a rev limiter so the Ford box was my backup.

Ant, the model MSD dist you have will not run "stand alone", as is typical for MOST MSD dist's, they require an ignition box of some kind. A quick and easy well to tell if your MSD dist is a "ready to run" version (no box required) is by the vacuum advance. If you DON'T have a vacuum advance, it's almost certain you DON'T have a "ready to run" (stand alone) MSD dist.
No vacuum advance on the 8578. Is the OEM Ford box available aftermarket or Ford dealers only, I would like to know the part # if possible as I reckon what you and Tim have done is exactly what I need for this machine!

The 1960's rocked!