LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 05:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehamr View Post
And 90% of statistics quoted on line are made up on the spot by chebby lovers with Ford motors in THEIR cars. Oh forgot, they live in glass houses to!

The nice thing about a Cobra with a 428 is that when you're tired of getting your azz beat by Chevy's, you'll always have something to keep your boat from drifting away.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedds View Post
Didn't know I was opening such a can of worms here! Everyone has great opinions about this topic....
Ahh....it's all in good fun!
So - are you going to buy it? What with all that good advice from the Chevy guys, my advice is jump in quick or somebody else will!
Cheers!
Glen
Old 03-23-2011, 08:58 PM
Evryday is a roadstr day
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RHD Hurricane street roadster HM1081 aging nicely in the garage
Not Ranked     

So what's with all the ill will here, not a single owner of a "real" Cobra chimed in....everyone of us on this thread have replicas...no matter how much you think you are a purist, it's still a replica and its still a fake...big deal....just have fun, chill, don't take life so serious. A couple of you guys sound like you're headed for a heart attack if you can't convince another replica owner that his replica isn't a real replica without a real replica motor.....lighten up. Life's too short to flog this issue again, again, again... ken
Old 03-23-2011, 09:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well said Fuzzy.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

DIid we overlook that fact that a 350 Chubby,,,,, is still a small block?

Old 03-23-2011, 11:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 427 S/C, 351W, 5 Sp & KMP142 - 427 SO, 4 Spd
Not Ranked     

Oh no! Pop corn is a poppin'.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

Quote:
DIid we overlook that fact that a 350 Chubby,,,,, is still a small block?
You say that like it's a bad thing. I've got 454 inches out of my small block, with the ability to take it to 482 inches if the need should be there, but right now it's not needed.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would say look it over real good, if it is a good build and you like it, then buy it..........drive it as is for a while,if you decide you would like to keep the car and enjoy it, then do so,if you don't like the chevy motor, then put a ford motor in it,if you like it as is, then keep it as is...........

Don't let someone else dictate to you what you should have under the hood or wether YOU should buy it or not.........
It's fairly inexpensive and you will probably have loads of fun in it no matter whats under the hood.....

You have one person to please and that's YOU............

David
Old 03-24-2011, 06:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID GAGNARD View Post
I would say look it over real good, if it is a good build and you like it, then buy it..........drive it as is for a while,if you decide you would like to keep the car and enjoy it, then do so,if you don't like the chevy motor, then put a ford motor in it,if you like it as is, then keep it as is...........

Don't let someone else dictate to you what you should have under the hood or wether YOU should buy it or not.........
It's fairly inexpensive and you will probably have loads of fun in it no matter whats under the hood.....

David

Nicely said!
Old 03-24-2011, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID GAGNARD View Post

David
Five pages of debate, and this is all that needed to be said....
Old 03-24-2011, 07:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk1, LS1, T56, Jag S3 suspension
Not Ranked     

Down under we have "issues" with compliance when registering our replicas if we don't stick to the guidelines set out by the powers that be. Resale values don't seem to bother Aussies as long as it looks good and goes, some have Toyota V8s in them!

It's going to upset the purists but I'm going LS1 based off the fact we must use an EFI engine no earlier than 1999. On the day I was at the damaged vehicle auction my donor car was a 2001 Holden SS Ute, so for under $6K I get LS1, T56, all electrics, computers, wiring loom, fuel tank, radiator, clutch. The rest I sell off making it a great price to get things rolling.

To really put a cat amongst the pigeons isn't it an English car, not a Ford? What would have happened if Ford were a little bit further along with their GT40 program and told Shelby the same thing GM told him. Hemi powered Cobras? History shows these great cars are "Powered by Ford" so if you are going for a historical replica you need to follow a certain criteria, if you're looking for a great looking replica buy what ever makes you happy!

Now the Coyote might be another story... LS7 hmmm, yes please....

To the OP, drive it, if it feels good buy it. Fix the glass problem, cool paint job, fancy wheels, then if you're still embarrassed by the SBC go Ford. Either way it will be YOUR cobra to do with as you please.

Good luck!

PS: $10-12K would only just get you the chassis/body combo! You guys have got it too good!

Last edited by jcraigau; 03-24-2011 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: forgot the PS
Old 03-24-2011, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
Yup. Chevrolet just laughed because they already had the Corvette. What a bunch of azzholes. Shelby made approx. 1000 Ford powered Cobras and Chevrolet ONLY made 1.5 MILLION Corvettes and still going strong. That sure was a stupid decision. Oh, and by the way, over 90% of pre-1950 Fords are now powered by Chevy. Go to any Good-Guys event and Ford powered Fords are very rare. I wonder why?
The hot rod guys that throw a SBC in their replica 23T are a little different crowd though. They kind of pride themselves on throwing different parts together to build their cars. Kind of an apples to oranges comparison IMO.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

I heard that on December 20, 2012, all Cobras with Chevy engines will spontaneously combust. Just sayin'...
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 03-24-2011, 09:40 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
Personally, Im still thinking LS7 in a Kirkham...
Small light and **** loads more power than I'd ever need.

...and I could answer YES! - It is a real 427 Kirkham Cobra!!!
Interesting point. Don't see many Kirkhams or Shelbys with Chevy motors. Aside from the 'purist' argument, COST is a major factor. Like on those pre 50's Fords. Chevys are cheap. Cheap for a reason. Not saying bad, but cheap.

And, the Cobra couldn't have happened with any company other than Ford. Doesn't take an automotive historian to know that.

Aaaaaand...Ford power found its way into more than just the Cobra. Like the Tiger, Pantera, Lotus, Cosworth, Lola. Each of those Ford powered iterations, with the exception of the Pantera, have more racing history than the Corvette, at least 'where' it mattered, like that place called...the rest of the world.

Chevys are cool, too. My friends grandma had a SS Chevelle. My Chevette had a footwell cooling (technically a hole made by rust). And every other Vette in SoCal is driven by a 70 year old woman on her 3rd husband, 2nd facelift, and that 'oh so cool' red leather jacket with all the embroidery.

Before anyone gets their 'Bowtie' in a difficult knot that a monkey could undo, just realize I was laying on kinda thick. But not so thick that you Chevy lovers couldn't understand.

Last edited by rodneym; 03-24-2011 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: one more dig
Old 03-24-2011, 09:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
They kind of pride themselves on throwing different parts together to build their cars.
"Different parts", (I know what you mean,,, but), how different can a SB 350 be? Rumor has it Walmart will soon start selling crate 350's, right next to the oil and air fresheners. When that blue light special hits, those T-Bucket boys are gonna load up (a 350, 24 roll's of toilet paper, 12 pack of beer, air freshener and a pair of dice for the rear view...).
Old 03-24-2011, 10:07 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

No.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
And every other Vette in SoCal is driven by a 70 year old woman on her 3rd husband, 2nd facelift, and that 'oh so cool' red leather jacket with all the embroidery.
In the immortal words of Larry the Cable Guy, "I don't care who you are, that there is funny"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David
Old 03-24-2011, 10:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Yeah, good point...
Old 03-24-2011, 11:59 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
The nice thing about a Cobra with a 428 is that when you're tired of getting your azz beat by Chevy's, you'll always have something to keep your boat from drifting away.
I suppose that a possibility (remote though it is) but it won't get beat by a 351.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastraxsg View Post
So what's with all the ill will here, not a single owner of a "real" Cobra chimed in....everyone of us on this thread have replicas...no matter how much you think you are a purist, it's still a replica and its still a fake...big deal....just have fun, chill, don't take life so serious. A couple of you guys sound like you're headed for a heart attack if you can't convince another replica owner that his replica isn't a real replica without a real replica motor.....lighten up. Life's too short to flog this issue again, again, again... ken
I hope no one infers ill will on my part. I'm having a blast! Every time someone levels a new slam I laugh my azz off even if it's at me. Hey, if it's funny, it's funny and I'm likely to steal it and use it on someone else!

BTW, it just so happens that chebby powered cobras are funny to.................. waiting, waiting!