28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2001, 08:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question 289 FIA cars in Texas??

I was looking at the Texas Cobra Club roster last night and something odd kinda jumped out at me. Why are there virtually no 289 - FIA cars within the ranks of the TCC? Gary Black in Houston owns a Unique FIA car and Paul Cass has a Lone Star 427 S/C body with paint/trim to look like a FIA car. I saw an ERA FIA car at the Shelby Nationals, but not a member of TCC. I see FIA cars around the country, but not Texas…there appears to be a lot in the Deep South Cobra Club.

Granted, I believe that ERA and Unique are the only manufacturers today that build the 289 – FIA body, so if your Cobra choice is a Lone Star, SPF, FFR, etc. that may answer the question. If a FIA body was available for your car – would you still go for the 427 body? I did have the FIA option with my Unique order and still went with the 427 body for some specific reasons, but would be interested in other opinions why the 427 body is preferred.

http://texascobraclub.com
Old 11-27-2001, 09:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     

If Superformance offered a 289 FIA car, I would jump all over it. I just like the smaller, "sportier" style, and the small block engine. I like Superformance because of the factory-built quality, reputation and warranty. A combination of the two would be fantastic.

If money were no object, I would just go with an SAI CSX7000 aluminum body option, or Kirkham for that matter. But the Texas Lottery just ain't cooperating with me lately....

The BADDEST cobra I've ever seen was the original 289 CSX2### with 289/4-Webers at the Mid-America Ford meet in Tulsa last June. I just LOVED that car, and the owner drove the SNOT out of it - even on the street returning from the Sonic cruise - woo! hoo!

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 11-27-2001, 11:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane #1037, 351C, TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up I like the FIA!

Dick,

Since I'm look at Cobra manufacturers again. I have the ERA 427s/c and the 289 FIA on my short list. I also like the Unique 289 as well.

I guess its time to start a new trend.

I like the look of the 289 but for some reason like you I just start to lean toward the 427 S/C. I think it's those big nasty side pipes that come out of the 427S/C.

Just my .02 worth on the matter.

Gregg H

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."
Old 11-27-2001, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SMC Motorcars 289
Send a message via Yahoo to renaissance man
Not Ranked     

Who says Gregg, that you have to have it as close to the original as possible? You know mine, it's a 427 S/C body with a 289 in it and 289 badges on it.

Who cares? Sounds good, looks good, runs like a bat out of hell...

Do what you like. It's your car. Frankly I do like the 289 body style though. Not many around either.

Dave "Ren Man"
Old 11-27-2001, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane #1037, 351C, TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Your Right Ren!

Dave,

You are absolutely right. Its your car and you should be allowed to do what ever you like. Your car fools alot of people with that awesome 289.

You car is soo beautiful with that Ferrari Red, and that 289 just screams. Too bad you don't know a Carb man

Hopefully saturday the guys will be able to tweak it.

Gregg H

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."
Old 11-28-2001, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

hey dick
while my lone star, outfitted as a fia, is a 427 body i just liked the looks of the fia's and thats why i designed mine in fia colors. the first car i looked at was a unique fia painted in the viking blue with red nose stripe. i knew then that whatever kit i purchased that it would be painted those colors. at the time i didn't really know that there was a difference in the 289's and 427's. of all the company's that i looked at, lone star worked best for me. apparently early on there were several 289's placed in 427 bodies. also, growing up with ford mustangs and 289's i had an extra engine laying around and wanted to use it in my cobra. being old fashioned and conservative i went with the fia 289 racing look with very few frills. and if you forgot the 50 is for my 50th birthday gift to myself. i kind of like the look of the 427 body anyway. thats my story.
paul
Old 11-28-2001, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

Dick,
I have a friend right here in Houston who has a Unique FIA.
the car is absolutely gorgeous. Actually I have come to like the style of the FIA cars more than the 427's. He is kind of a lone wolf, and does not belong to any club.
SR
PS, my 427 Unique has a FIA rollbar
Old 11-28-2001, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Custom Built Classic Motor Carriage T 5 Z tranny still in the making ..
Not Ranked     
Talking

The 427 body is wider around @ the wheel wells giving it a nice
low wide look .
They have a flare like trim where the 289 body style is just straight ,around the wheel wells .
So you can put a big Fat tire front and back giving it a low wide stance better for go Gsss .
To each their own . As for a small engine vs big it gives it a better f/r balance .
Thats what I want good 1/4 mile ,Cornering ,Braking ,dependable everyday driving for less $sss ohh dont forget the low wide LOOK.

Mustang Mendez
Old 12-02-2001, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Seems the S/C always attracts more attention on the street. Bigger, nastier, louder, longer black marks...ect...
I had a ERA 427....started to road race...had a lot of fun. Blew it up at TWS out of turn 2...not fun. Put everything back together and ordered a FIA....set up for road racing only, with itsy bitsy 289 and webers. Lot more fun and easier to drive, but does not attract the attention a 427 does.

Go fast?....1:28.05 at Hallett on Blue Streaks (not the greatest tire in the world)

At MSR...passed all big blocks.

Can't touch the sex appeal of a big block on the street tho....but I drive a truck with 300K mile and the paint coming off...on the street, so there is no contest.

Blue/Orange #83 ERA FIA P203