14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2001, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CMC, Supercharged Ford 5.0 & all the toys.
Not Ranked     
Default Austin -- Sunday cruise ???

As promised, let's try and get together sometime tomorrow (Sunday Dec 9th) and cruise!!!! Weather should be excellent but cold -- and this forecast is not from some sub-standard weather person on TV.

No route plan right now -- we can wing it, or drop some suggestions here. The Wimberly thing sounds good.

Let me know what time works best for you. Early morning may not be great for me cause I'm going to experiment with my tranny speedo/VSS converter thing-a-ma-jig and may not get it back together very early.

Your thoughts?

Cheers,
-Neil.

CMC Cobra, Ford 5.0, EFI, Vortech supercharged, T5Z, 8.8 rear, MII front, 4-wheel discs, A/C, stereo.
Old 12-08-2001, 11:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to ThePidler
Not Ranked     

If anybody's cruisin around the DFW metroplex, c'mon by 5901 Scottsdale Drive, Colleyville , TX late tomorroe afternoon. I've got cold beer in the fridge and would LOVE to see a couple of you guy's and gal's, (yea, the wives truely own 'em), Cobras!
Old 12-09-2001, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SMC Motorcars 289
Send a message via Yahoo to renaissance man
Not Ranked     

Nell and I are going to head South on I-35 for The Four Seasons Hotel on Cesar Chavez at about 10:15. We'll be there at 11am if you like to stop in for coffee with us in the Lobby Lounge.

We'll figure out the rest from there.

Regards,

Dave "Ren Man"

Last edited by renaissance man; 12-09-2001 at 07:25 AM..
Old 12-09-2001, 08:12 AM
The Royal Rhubarb
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #495,427SO, Stroked
Send a message via AIM to ERA600hp
Not Ranked     
Talking Renman

I'll make sure that someone brings enough tools to work on you car!!!??? hehehe
Old 12-09-2001, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to jkbedell
Not Ranked     

Looks like I may have missed you. I am planning to go for a cruise around noon to Wimberley and back. I'll look for others. If anyone is interested in joining up, feel free to call on the cell at 940-5824.
Jeff
Old 12-09-2001, 09:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ren Man and Paul Cass are meeting at my place in Steiner at approx 12:30-ish. Not sure where to from there, but we need more Cobras!

-Neil.

CMC Cobra, Ford 5.0, EFI, Vortech supercharged, T5Z, 8.8 rear, MII front, 4-wheel discs, A/C, stereo.
Old 12-09-2001, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jeff, stop typing at the same time as me . Left you a vmail. Try and make it by my place around 12:30.

Anyone else -- call me at 512-799-2645.

Old 12-09-2001, 03:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Today's cruise .... we'll let Ren Man tell the story...

Old 12-10-2001, 05:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Unhappy It Wasn't Pretty...

Ran from Georgetown to South Austin to the Four Seasons Hotel. Not a problem. Pulled out of the hotel at noon and 4 blocks later the car died...I mean voltage dropped to zero instantly. Found the neg. battery cable loose and got a push from a couple of guys and a jump start on the car. Car died again and we pulled onto a side street. Emergency brake didn't work too well and as my wife got out of the car it started rolling and the door hit the bumper of a Suburben and wasted the paint on the door edge. Nell jumped into the car and cranked up on the handle to no avail, jumped into the drivers seat and hit the brake. We decided at that point that it was better to take the car home and fix the bugs. Now the trouble starts. We went down 6th street (sounds great with the richochet of pipes between the buildings) and onto Loop 1 North and dead again.
The car died about 7 or 8 times in a matter of minutes. Herky-Jerky like I was on a bucking horse then it would just die. Thought I may have run out of gas since my sending unit doesn't read correctly...nope. Got off at 35th street to Lamar and pulled into a gas station. Filled up but had 6 gal in the tank yet. Needed another jump. Took 35th to 183 North. Lot's of buck'n horse driving on the flyover of 183.
Finally made it to Pep Boys at about 3pm after limping along, dying, restarting, dying, restarting...Fuel pressure was essentially zero at times. Sometimes 3.5, nominally it runs at about 5lbs. It's a Holley mechanical fuel pump going to a 650 D.P.
Battery never would go above 12vdc. A guy at Pep Boys had a little portable handheld alternator tester that he hooked to the battery and I turned the car over. The tester, he said, never read good. So, I might have a bad alternator (even though it's brand new). Oil was on the intake again so, going to have to replace the intake manifold gasket. When the engine was finished they never put a timing pointer on so, had to tune it by ear. Need one of them.
Decided I have a Missing Timing pointer, missing fuel filter, pressure reading zero (maybe the mechanical pump?), Alternator is possibly shot, Intake manifold gasket needs replaced...that should keep me busy for awhile.

Bottom line, had to call a wrecker ("ound Up" I highly recommend them. They have an approach ramp truck and even with only 3" of ground clearance, nothing touched.) at 3pm. Finally arrived at 6pm. No room in the truck for the wife and I though. So, I now had to call a cab. Finally got home at 7pm...$95 towing bill, $45 cab fare (hardly seems fair?). The Tow truck guy backed up into my drive and actually unloaded the car smack-dab in the center of my garage right off of the truck!

Geez, am I pooped!

Anyone want to help with a few projects?

Dave "Ren Man"
Old 12-10-2001, 09:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

hey ren
well, it seems that the weekend was a bummer for both of us! the little i did drive just established that one of my winter projects to replace the valve cover gaskets will get done now. i hope that is where my oil leak is. even though it wasn't under the best of circumstances, you have a beautiful car. for whatever its worth i'd replace the fuel pump and install an in line filter after your hard fuel line before your soft line on the passenger side. hope everything works out.
paul
ps the patches were great!!!!!!
Old 12-10-2001, 10:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good to see you Paul. Sorry to hear of your demise. Glad you liked the patches. I need to work out my electrical problem that is causing the battery drain. Then someone suggested that I replace the mechanical fuel pump with an electrical one???

One thing at a time...

Thanks for the car compliments.

Dave "Ren Man"
Old 12-10-2001, 11:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane #1037, 351C, TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default I'm Sorry for your troubles.

Dave,

I know this doesn't help now.

I think we in the Austin area should publish a list of our area names, phone numbers and cell numbers. I could have put the kids in the explorer and come in get you so you wouldn't have to pay that cab fair.

To any of you guys in the area. Call if you break down. I can fit 5 in the explorer and bring some tools. I just hate to have you guys broke down somewhere with out any means to get a way back.
I have the old club roster from last years show. I can add a column for phone numbers and email it out to you guys.

Let me know.

Again Sorry Dave about your problem. I'm home this weekend let me know If I can help.

Gregg H

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."
Old 12-10-2001, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to jkbedell
Not Ranked     
Default Traffic

Ren,
Yes, that was a little hairy while driving on the shoulder of 183. It was difficult getting around some of those barriers with cars going by at 65-75 while we were doing maybe 5mph. I don't know enough to comment on that fuel pump. But I would definitely put a fuel filter in line probably easiest right in the trunk. Blow out the line to be sure it's clear. That fuel pump was sucking, but it simply may not be enough. Since your pressure was reading zero just before the carb, I think your problem is likely either clogging, bad pump or both. Your clogging could even be within the pump.

You can take the alternator to Texas Alternator on IH35 north. They will test it and rebuild if necessary. Quick turn-around as well. Those portable testers are not totally dependable. So make sure and get a second opinion. That is where I got mine just a couple months ago.

Your oil leak did not appear to be a big deal. It may just be break-in effects. Make sure the intake is torqued down properly.

Good Luck, Let me know if you need additional help.
Old 12-10-2001, 11:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks to everyone that helped out. Lots of things to work out on a shakedown. But, I did it so I could learn and man am I on the accelerated program!!!! (All puns intended)

Again thanks to everyone for the support.

Gregg, great idea! Anyone who is stranded is welcome to call me. My cell phone is 512/633-7373

Best Regards,

Dave "Ren Man"

Last edited by renaissance man; 12-11-2001 at 05:20 AM..
Old 12-10-2001, 12:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gregg, that was the intention -- Paul, Jeff, Ed and myself were there with lots of tools. We tried to find Stretch or anyone else with a trailer, but couldn't so had to call a tow truck. Paul left to head back to Corpus, Jeff left for another engagement and then Ed and I bailed out when it started drizzling. Would've definitely given them a ride back to Georgetown if we realized that they needed a cab.

Morgan started a contact list on Saturday at County Line, and I was asking him to forward it. That should be an execllent start.

Other than Jeff & Paul's suggestions, you could also try to put the stock alternator pulley back on and see if it makes a difference. Not sure what percent underdrive you're running.

Cheers,
-Neil.

Old 12-10-2001, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Neil,

How do you tell what % underdrive you are running?

Dave "Ren Man"
Old 12-10-2001, 02:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You could measure the stock and new pullies, and compute the ratio from that. (Measure to the inside of the groove). Also do the same for he crank pulley (if that changed) and multiply the two.
Underdrive ratio = (New-crank-dia. / Old-crank-dia) x ( old-alt-dia. / new-alt-dia. ).

Or you could just read what the pulley mfgr says it is.

Generally, 3-10% (0.97 - 0.90) is considered acceptable, but that depends on the car/motor and accessories.

Old 12-10-2001, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR1358 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Question Tow Truck

Ren; Besides having to wait 2.5 hours for the "Round Up" Towing Service to arrive, would you recommend that specific truck service for all Cobras? I met the "Round Up" guy (Bryan) a year ago and got his number just in case I had to be towed. He told me that his #18 truck was ideal for low body Cobras.

For any Austin Cobras needing this service, call 280-2803. Ask for Bryan and #18 flat bed truck specifically.
Old 12-10-2001, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane #1037, 351C, TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Sorry about the misunderstanding!

Neil,

Sorry about the misunderstanding. I guess I read the post wrong.. I'm sure with fellow cobra guys around that they all pitched in.

I thought Ren was stranded by himself. My fault. I still think we could put together a contact list for any one out solo and needs assistance.

Sorry for the mistake.

Gregg H

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."
Old 12-10-2001, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Being Stranded was not a big deal guys...honestly. You guys were great to hang around in the first place. The wife and I were fine. As for "Round Up" towing. Truck #18 is out of commission and they have a new truck. Just ask for the one that has the "Ride Approach Bed that Splits". It literally breaks in half after hitting the ground flat. Then he pulls the car onto the flat part then angles the flat part to meet the upper angle before pulling the car the rest of the way up. No issues with touching any part of the car whatsoever.

Neil...never had stock pullys on that engine as it was custom built. I could probably look that info up though. A friend of mine gave me some good things to go on for the electrical system. He stated, "If the MSD is not getting proper voltage that would explain the herkey-jerky motion that I was experiencing as the car would have improper detonation". I have either a bad ignition (very common) or a short. The alternator is more than likely bad but, I will remove it and have it tested.

Dave "Ren Man"