Old 01-19-2015, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSammy View Post
Ask for the manager: Tim Tinsley
Perfect. Just talked to him and am scheduled to have them inspect me tomorrow. I had found another shop in Rockwall but this will be better.

Thanks SSSammy!

EDIT: hey, since you sold your snake, don't you need to change your name?
Old 01-19-2015, 06:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA GT #2077, 331 SBF, Webers, Gurney Eagle heads
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas_ View Post
EDIT: hey, since you sold your snake, don't you need to change your name?
No ... that's my name from childhood ... are you making fffun of me because I ssstutter???

SSSam
Old 01-19-2015, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
No ... that's my name from childhood ... are you making fffun of me because I ssstutter???

SSSam
I ggguess so.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sam,
Thanks for the tip. The guys at that shop are fffantastic.
Got my form signed, now need to get it wwweighed and then off to the title office.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD - BDR 1381 Artic White/Silver Stripes / Coyote 5.0
Not Ranked     

Regarding the weighing - the MSO's have a weight on them - does this not qualify?
Old 01-20-2015, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by am9648 View Post
Regarding the weighing - the MSO's have a weight on them - does this not qualify?
Good question, what is everybody doing about the weight certificate?

I'll tell you my ingenious solution after we hear some of the others!

BTW at least for FFRs the MSO weight likely won't work because it's only 900 lb or so (just the weight of the frame and body) and my guess is that even a clerk might be tempted to throw that out as unrealistic.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_g View Post
Good question, what is everybody doing about the weight certificate?
The requirements say "Certified weight certificate;"

I went to a "Certified Public Scale station" (at a truck stop), weighed the car and received a "Certified weight certificate".

If they accept anything else, I'm all ears.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 806, KC 482 FE
Not Ranked     

I will be starting this process in a few more weeks and my question is about the VIN#. The tag attached to the chassis and the supplied ID tag says ERA 806, is this an acceptable VIN for Texas? I will be getting a temp plate so I can drive to the inspection and the DMV confirmed that all I need is insurance and a VIN.

Sam, when you titled your last ERA is that what you used?

Gary
Old 01-20-2015, 08:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas_ View Post
The requirements say "Certified weight certificate;"

I went to a "Certified Public Scale station" (at a truck stop), weighed the car and received a "Certified weight certificate".

If they accept anything else, I'm all ears.
So what happens if the nearest truck stop with a scale is 75 miles from where you live? (Not an unreasonable scenario, they are definitely getting harder to find.)
Old 01-21-2015, 07:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryT View Post
I will be starting this process in a few more weeks and my question is about the VIN#. The tag attached to the chassis and the supplied ID tag says ERA 806, is this an acceptable VIN for Texas? I will be getting a temp plate so I can drive to the inspection and the DMV confirmed that all I need is insurance and a VIN.

Sam, when you titled your last ERA is that what you used?

Gary
Yes, my VIN was "ERA745." The only time that was ever a problem was when I tried to search for my title on the DMV website. They had added a string of zeros to fill out the 17 digit data field. But if you go inquire their data base with the actual title document number, it will appear.

Sam
Old 01-21-2015, 07:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by am9648 View Post
Nope, the requirement is "Certified Weight Certificate." Now you can try to use the MSO. As we know well, this process is variable depending on the title office you go to.

It can be any "Certified Public Scale," not just a truck stop. Google public scales in your locale. The certificate will have the seal of the great state of Texas on it, and the scale is calibrated regularly by the state weights and measures guys.

At a truck stop, it couldn't be easier, you pull onto the scale and proceed to the first platform (there are four) by the elevated intercom box. You jump up as high as you can and slap the "call" button (it is set for semi truck window height). The weighmaster will say "can I help you?" Say "do you have my weight?" He/she will say "I have your weight, please park and come in to the counter to get your certificate." Cost me $10.50.

Sam
Old 01-21-2015, 08:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Title and Registration Complete!

I went to the Collin County Tax Office yesterday about 10 am and was out of there in about 45 minutes with my paper tag and window sticker. I took all of the forms and exhibits that I detailed in the above post, including the VTR-63, with invoices and bills of sale as backup. The lady had never done one of these, she followed her manual, and had to call the supervisor in twice.

In 5 days, I will have a title for a "1966 ASVE" "Replica 1966 CAVG" (I preferred "1966 FORD," but they wanted to use what the MSO said for manufacturer. Not a big issue, it is immaterial what it is a replica of)

I will receive a "Custom Vehicle" plate in the mail and I am exempt from annual vehicle inspections forever as long as I renew the tag as a "Custom Vehicle."

Sam
am9648 likes this.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4973
Not Ranked     
Default Wow.... Just Wow

Dang Sam.... That is not a little bit awesome... that is a big bit awesome..

Wow...

Quote:
So with G-Pete's guidance, I plan to go forward with:
VTR-61 Rebuilt Vehicle Statement, bearing the signature of Dennis Olthoff as the assembler, plus the invoices for chassis, motor, trans,
VTR-130U Title Application,
VTR-852 ASE Inspection augmented by the ASE Certification print out from the inspector,
certified weight certificate,
a photo or rubbing of the VIN plate,
3 photos of my car,
1 photo of an original 1966 car,
MCO (whew!)

I'm seeing the ASE mechanic on Monday to get the VTR-852 and his ASE report, then it's on to the Collin County Title Office

I will report back

Sam

Here's a peep at the object in question:
Old 01-21-2015, 01:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks David! I was able to find a place to park it also:

Sam
Old 01-21-2015, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I went to the Collin County Tax Office yesterday about 10 am and was out of there in about 45 minutes with my paper tag and window sticker. I took all of the forms and exhibits that I detailed in the above post, including the VTR-63, with invoices and bills of sale as backup. The lady had never done one of these, she followed her manual, and had to call the supervisor in twice.

In 5 days, I will have a title for a "1966 ASVE" "Replica 1966 CAVG" (I preferred "1966 FORD," but they wanted to use what the MSO said for manufacturer. Not a big issue, it is immaterial what it is a replica of)

I will receive a "Custom Vehicle" plate in the mail and I am exempt from annual vehicle inspections forever as long as I renew the tag as a "Custom Vehicle."

Sam
Interesting! Surprised it is a 1966 ASVE because the manual states it has to be titled in year assembled (or manufactured). Mine states "2014 ASVE Replica 1965 Cobra". They didn't seem to care for what it said on the MSO which is "2008 Factory Five MK 3 Roadster".

By the way, I didn't go to any truck stop or anything. I had the same ASE Master Tech who did my inspection sign a statement that he estimated the weight to be 2300 lb. That was perfectly fine with the clerk ... met her definition of "certified weight certificate"!
Old 01-21-2015, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #1380 - 427SBF w/ Inglese EFI
Not Ranked     

Very cool. Thanks for the posts on the process, my BDR should be done in six(ish) weeks so I really appreciate you all sharing what you've learned.

-Steve
Old 02-02-2015, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     
Default Registration Texas HB-890

Well I just returned from my local tax office after about 1 1/2 hrs.

Completed the titling of my Backdraft, no issues, they were making sure they were doing the paperwork correctly

As noted by ram_g my title will state 2014 Roadster with the notation "1965 replica".
Old 02-02-2015, 12:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Congratulations, ram_g and am9648! Did you apply for "Custom Vehicle" plates, as the "Replica Stamp" enables you to do? You need those plates to be exempt from annual DPS inspections:

From the Assembled Vehicle Manual, page 4-5:

"Texas DPS Safety Inspection
A vehicle eligible for and registered with (or registering with) Custom Vehicle or Street Rod license plates is exempt from the annual Texas DPS safety inspection. If the applicant chooses not to register with either of these plates, or changes plate type at a future date, the vehicle must then begin obtaining an annual DPS safety inspection."

Also, as has been mentioned earlier, it would be prudent to keep a copy of the VTR-852 ASE Inspection form in the envelope with your registration and insurance. You might have to explain all this to an officer someday.

Sam
Old 02-02-2015, 09:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Congratulations, ram_g and am9648! Did you apply for "Custom Vehicle" plates, as the "Replica Stamp" enables you to do? You need those plates to be exempt from annual DPS inspections:

A vehicle eligible for and registered with (or registering with) Custom Vehicle or Street Rod license plates is exempt from the annual Texas DPS safety inspection. If the applicant chooses not to register with either of these plates, or changes plate type at a future date, the vehicle must then begin obtaining an annual DPS safety inspection."

Also, as has been mentioned earlier, it would be prudent to keep a copy of the VTR-852 ASE Inspection form in the envelope with your registration and insurance. You might have to explain all this to an officer someday.

Sam
Yes, I sure did! Received the Custom Vehicle plates in the mail even before I received the title...all looks good.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Custom Plates

Quote:

Sam

Custom plates on order.

Thanks for your guidance- Sam.

I have to look you up if you will in San Marcos in March.

On another note, as of March 1 inspection stickers will be a thing of the past - the vehicles will still be inspected but no "sticker", and in order for you to renew your registration the inspection will appear on the DMV data base.

Any idea how this may affect our renewals?

Angelo

Last edited by am9648; 02-03-2015 at 04:21 AM..