Old 12-22-2001, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SMC Motorcars 289
Send a message via Yahoo to renaissance man
Not Ranked     
Default I'll be running tomorrow.

I found the electrical problem.

First, no ground wire on the alternator itself.

Worse, it's bad to begin with. Took it to AutoZone and it only ran 8vdc. The bearings were bad too. You could hear them rattling.

They did have an exact replacement for $42. Problem is, it's ugly and I can't seem to get my shiny parts (fan and pully off of the original one??????

Dave "Ren Man"
Old 12-22-2001, 11:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to jkbedell
Not Ranked     

Ren,
Take it to Texas Alternator on IH35. they'll rebuild that one for you and you can keep your good looking parts! Price would likely be about the same or less.
Old 12-23-2001, 03:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #586, 535hp.460
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Ren, running is GOOD!!

Ren,
Running is GOOD!!As long as you can enjoy that beautiful car, a little bit of ugly(or not shiny) under a closed hood is OK, at least until you get the shiny one rebult. Then, having a spare is good also, which means you win again!!This is all good news for you just before Christmas, so it is obvious Santa thinks you have been a good little boy this year............and I agree with him!
Merry Christmas to you and your Beautiful family.
John and the other Russells
Old 12-30-2001, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Unhappy OK...Maybe not tomorrow...

Got he electrical issue fixed with a new alternator. Not can't get her started. If I blip the throttle on the carb she starts to go but doesn't seem to get a constant stream of fuel. May be the mechanical fuel pump??? Even had a nice little BBQ in the carburator as she cauht fire! One issue down...another to go. I'm gettin' there though!

Dave "Ren Man"

Last edited by renaissance man; 12-30-2001 at 11:54 AM..
Old 12-30-2001, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ren,
Check your fuel filter. When I first started mine all the Sh- - from the tank stoped mine up and caused problems. You are going to have to work out these little problems like I had to one at a time. Heck I am still working on these Dam* Sorry Inglese webers. Good luck Bud and hope to see you in Austin.

Ferrari Killer ( with sick Webers)
Steve Parks
Old 12-31-2001, 05:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve,

Thanks, but the fuel filter is brand new. I got one of those clear ones so that I could see what's happening with the fuel. It's full and very little debris. Don't seem to get any fuel in the primary jets of the Holley. When I blip the throttle on the carb the secondary jets put in some fuel (then it catches on fire!). So, perhpaps my mechanical fuel pump has a bad diaphram? No jokes, please!

Regards,

Dave "Ren Man"

Last edited by renaissance man; 12-31-2001 at 06:01 AM..
Old 12-31-2001, 06:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I am sorry . I ment the filter IN the carburator. My carbs have internal filters as well as the throw aways we all have. They are a mesh type and even tho the see thrue ones are clear the small stuff sometimes get caught in the mesh ones. I do not know if your carb has this type of filter or not. Take off the fuel line (s) and put the hose in a bucket and turn over the car, see if you get a squirt or not. That will tell tyou if the pump is working. Look in the carb where the fuel line geos in and see if there is not a fitting that can be screwed out. If so take it out and see if you have an internal carb filter. May be mesh or stone or paper, but it will be small, about the size of the end of you little finger.

Ren I was thinking about the statement that when you "blip" the throttle you get fuel in the secondary. That makes me think there may be an internal filter. Because when you hit the throttle the added pressure may let to much fuel in and cause the jets to "spill" fuel rather than atomize it. If you are getting an over abundance of feul that may be the problem? Just something else to look at. I have gone over my carbs several times and these little mesh filters get dirty reasonably quick. They are so much finer filter than the clear ones and they catch every thing.

Also I can't get a handle on why it catches on fire. Is the timming correct? Does it backfire? I can't figure that one out. Do you have a cross fire distributer cap. If so take it off and put on a standard cap and see if that stops the fire ( back fire) problem. I had one of those type distributer caps before and it never worked right. It always fired out of order and caused the car run like ... well you know.

Let me know.

Ferrari Killer
Steve Parks
Old 12-31-2001, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Custom Built Classic Motor Carriage T 5 Z tranny still in the making ..
Not Ranked     

Ren Man
Steve is right BUT
You do not have any fuel filters in your carb I looked the last time I was in there , you may have a bad fuel pump .You need to disconect the coil wire again and take the fuel line off at the carburator see if you are getting any fuel .If you have acess to a fuel presure tester you sould be runnig 4 psi to 6 @ the carb the reason you are getting fuel out of the rear squirter is when you bip your carb you run the fuel out the front bowl first and since you have a 4150 double pump you secondairs will not squirt till you go pass 3/4 thottle so all the time you may have pumped it you may have run the fuel out of the front and leaving some in the rear .The other thing is you may have fouled out your plugs by this time so I would take them Out and clean them or replace them AGAIN . I have seen time and time again the carb is usally not the problem it is something else you can buy a fuel/vacume gauge at the auto parts store pretty cheap . I would be willing to bet it is a fuel blockage and running with out a fuel .If you need be call me at the shop I am putting a 302 for my ford pick up together ,painting some peices for my cougar ,and working on neils car we are closed but talk on the recorder and I will pick up .
512-398-6010
Mustang Mendez Services
ps ------ ED ------ I started on the Cobra we took the body off the car mmmm That took 45 minutes now I need to make some room so I can work on it ...... YEHA
Old 12-31-2001, 08:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Tony. I'll check that today. I blew each line out with air the other day from the tank (including the pickup) all the way to the fuel pump. Didn't blow out the line from the pump to the carb cause at that time it was squirting like a firehose from the primaries. I put an inline filter (clear) in the engine compartment just before the pump. But you are right, when it operates properly I get 5lbs of pressure.

Dave "Ren Man"

Last edited by renaissance man; 12-31-2001 at 08:39 AM..
Old 12-31-2001, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK, here is what I did...I took the line off right at the pressure guage going into the carb. Disconnected the coil and turned the key a few times. The fuel line squirted gas about a foot! So, I guess the pump is OK??? Next I just started the car and the pressure came up to 7.5 lbs. Finally settled at 2 lbs at idle. The fuel filter never stayed full though??? In fact it nearly emptied but, I ran it for an hour varying the throttle but the damn thing just kept runnin!!?? Now I'm not sure if it's OK to drive or just a fluke?

Dave "Ren Man"
Old 12-31-2001, 03:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

Ren man

Fuel pressure should not change. You should be maintaining a constant pressure.

Mike

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/
Old 12-31-2001, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not good Mike... Would you guess fuel pump???

Dave "Ren Man"
Old 12-31-2001, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ren,
I am assuming that it is not catching on fire any longer?

Did you check the timming?

Ferrari Killer
Steve Parks
Old 12-31-2001, 05:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

It's been awhile since I've worked on a mechanical pump. But, my guess would be a defective diaphram in the pump or a restriction down the line to the tank.

Mike

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/
Old 01-01-2002, 08:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Cool

No more fire, Thank God ! I'm going to Carquest Auto Parts tomorrow. They have a mechanical fuel pump for a '65 Mustang 289 4bbl that will fit for a mere $22.95 Cheap fix if that's it!

Dave "Ren Man"
Old 01-02-2002, 06:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Lines are clear from the carb to the fuel tank. I used a compressor to blow each one out. I doubt there is a line restriction now or the fuel pressure would not read 5-7 lbs to begin with. It was a gradual drop to a bit less than 2 lbs over the course of an hour. Fuel filter is clear so I can see what is going on and brand new. Started out seeing about 7/8 full in the filter then as little as (I'm guessing here...) 1/4 full.
I'm perplexed???

Dave "Ren Man"
Old 01-02-2002, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dave,
Just a thought. Do you have a pre filter? By that I mean a filter between the tank and the pump. I am assuming by the way you speak of the clear filter is is one of those glass filters that most people put between the pump and the carb.

Now if you blew out the line with your your air compresser it would surely clear the line. Say your line pressure on the hose was 60psi or better. If you blew the line and it was stopped up with tresh from the tank, you have now blown the trash back into the tank.

I have seen those glass type filters look like they were empty when the car is running but yet it continues to run. I know that does not explain your pressure loss. But if you blew the trash out of the line and back into the tank the pressure would be good to begin with untile the trash got back into the line. That would surely cause a new starvation problem.

I don't know man, I am really just thinking outloud. I can't figure it out. I will email this page to DV and see if he has any new ideas.

Ferrari Killer
Steve Parks
Old 01-02-2002, 07:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve,

Thanks for the brainstorming. I removed the line from the tank and actually removed the pickup in the tank as well. Blew out the pickup (no prefilter just 5/16" tubing), blew out the line to the in-line filter (filter removed), blew the line to the fuel pump (removed the line at the pump first), and blew all of the removed lines out to the carb. when I blip the throttle the carb sprays gas into the jets like a firehose! No blockage... Funny why the pressure drops though?

Dave "Ren Man"
Old 01-02-2002, 08:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to jkbedell
Not Ranked     

Ren,
Your previous post said you were going to get another pump. Have you done that I assume? Maybe it's time for an electric feul pump. Otherwise, the only other thing I can think of is your fuel lines are collapsing.
Old 01-02-2002, 08:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     
Unhappy

Dave,
I had been following this until I thought you had it all fixed. Steve dropped me a note to take another look. I think Tony has given you all the right steps, and you have appeared to do the right things.

My suggestion was going to tell you to remove the sock at the tank, which you obviously have already done.

My first suggestion is to get rid of that small see-thru filter. They really were never made for a double pumper system. That alone could result in your fuel pressure dropping off.

Then I would strongly suggest going back into the bank account, with the Mrs.' permission of course . Buy a simple electric Carter fuel pump - (Jegs's $69.99 # 180-P4600HP) Of course you can buy Holley, etc. but I'm giving you what works for the cheapest investment. Make a fuel pump block off plate for your Mechanical pump or just leave it in place.

Use at least a Holley style filter # 720-9745 ($8.99) Also available from Jegs. And if you really want to know what's going on you can put a small in line fuel pressure guage right at the carb.

Now my question is...when you pulled the pickup tube out of the tank and there was no "sock" on the end of it..what happened to it? Is it floating around in the tank? Or was it removed earlier?

You do have a CR's kit, right? If so that pick up tube came with a nylon sock on it.

Did you hear the story about Double Venom II at the DVSF? Damn, it wouldn't run over 30 mph at our Saturday events. We finally tracked it down that ATL, who built our fuel cell failed to remove the sock from the pick up tube! Pulling 58 PSI at idle, the pumped pulled the sock right up into the pick up tube!

If I think of anything else I'll let you know. A good test to see if the fuel is the problem, take her out somewhere where you can get into it a couple of times. If it drives just fine in city type conditions, then stand on it, and it then starts to fall on it's face, or starts to backfire and cough, it will most likely be a fuel starvation problem.

Good luck and Happy New Year!
DV