Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2003, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR1358 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Post Spring Meet Follow Up

To help us plan for future Spring Meets here in Austin, please tell us what we need to improve on. Give us feedback about the hotel, Origin parking, cruise to the hill country, and tailgate party(s).

Several suggestions were:

1. Start the cruise earlier.
2. Better instructions on the return trip to the hotel.
3. Do the same cruise for 2004.
4. More time in Gruene to shop.
5. Use the same hotel for next year.
Old 02-28-2003, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Location: Right in the middle of the beautiful Texas Hill Country - Boerne, Texas,
Send a message via Yahoo to Blake Olson
Not Ranked     

Maybe we start @ origin earlier and start cruise around 11:30. That will give more time in Gruene. We'll try to arrange for reserved parking next year.

The tailgate parties in the hotel parking lot were great. Let's have a band next year...weather permitting.

blake

"Charlie Don't Surf!"
Old 02-28-2003, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33849 (currently 460)
Not Ranked     

I would say use the same hotel, set a date and book it now. That way we can put it on our calendars early.

Set up maybe 2 (total 4)more people to pull an empty trailer.

If possible figure out a way we can all be somewhat together when we eat.

See if we can get Tom to get us good weather on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

This year was pretty darn close to perfect! You guys did a great job.

Oh, and can we get Blake to brush his teeth with the hot sauce both nights

Last edited by Dennis Mosley; 02-28-2003 at 10:44 AM..
Old 02-28-2003, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CMC, Supercharged Ford 5.0 & all the toys.
Not Ranked     

Wait for me next year.

Cheers,
-Neil.

CMC Cobra, Ford 5.0, EFI, Vortech supercharged, T5Z, 8.8 rear, MII front, 4-wheel discs, A/C, stereo.
Old 02-28-2003, 11:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #42, 425HP 347 - NASA TX, CMC #55 Mustang Road Racer - Legends 37' Chevy Coupe #43 Oval Racer - Honda CRF450R(I'm afraid to race it), 95' Black Lighting Daily Scooter
Not Ranked     

I'd like to try and implement some organization to the support vehicles. Maybe a cell phone list and radios to help when we get spread out. I'll be bringing tools and other essentials next year as well.

Also, we loaded all 3 and needed 4. I'll volunteer to organize the support team effort next year.

Boudy
Old 02-28-2003, 11:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Not Ranked     
Default From an out of towners........

perspective, it was terrific! The hotel is great, Origin still works and the cruise route was fantatsic. The Austinites did good!!!!!

If I could offer any suggestion, it might be to better organize the parking for the trailers and subsequent Friday/Saturday night party location. This year it kind of just happened, and not bad at that. Several of our members have some big rigs and it would be neat to have them all together to form the central party area. Maybe the hotel would consider allowing us to block off that entire North side beginning early Friday morning with traffic cones or something.

Other than that I don't think it could have come off much better than it did, and we don't want to create a monster that requires mucho volunteer time to make happen.

Sign me up for next year!

Jim
Old 02-28-2003, 11:58 AM
The Royal Rhubarb
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #495,427SO, Stroked
Send a message via AIM to ERA600hp
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb A couple of Things

If we do the same cruise, move the hotel further south! The hotel parking was great!

If we stay in the same hotel, move the cruise!!

Compare, last year to this Year!!

Cruise this year was Great!
Cruise last year was great!!

We kinda disolved as a group when we hit Gruene! I liked the way we gathered again at JOE Z's, but the drive back to the hotel late was not good.

At Gruene,We went seperate way's after lunch, I would like to see us gather again somewhere. Some reason it didn't work to well this year, we lost a lot of people. Also parking in Gruene was not good. They won't reserve a parking place for us, they don't care!

I liked the idea about Gruene, but the parking, we were scattered, didn't like that.

What if we have the same guy who cooked for us at Joe Z's do the same thing for lunch somewhere around Gruene!

Try to compare Last year to this year, the good and the bad!

Make a list of both. See what comes out of it, also remember to keep it simple, we are growing!!

What if we move the Hotel further south do the same cruise and end up at the hotel, I don't know, we've got plent of time to talk about it!!

Compare, all 4 years, don't forget that we're growing!!

Keep it at the same time of the year!!
Old 02-28-2003, 12:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

My only gripe was also the parking in Gruene. It was nice to have our security guard waving us into the lot, but once in a whole group of us snaked (no pun intended) around the lot two or three times, while I watched the temp gauge climb higher and higher.

Other than that I thought it was fantastic. I figured Gruene was going to be a little tough due to its popularity with tourists, but the food was very good and the service extremely quick--all in all, everyone who had anything to do with setting up TCC 2003 is to be soundly commended--
Old 02-28-2003, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think that this year was great.

IF we do the same cruise again
I think we should spend a little less time at the garage and more time at Greene. And we should regroup before the return trip. And again at the hotel to make sure everyone made it safely.

If we use the same Hotel again
Change nothing. I liked the hotel. The beds were confy and the price was good and the parking was adaquit. The Hotel service was great!

We have been lucky so far as to no one getting wrecked or hurt at our gatherings and as long as that continues we all win. This years plan was great!

Tom start your prayers at least one day earlier this year for good weather.

Make sure Doug and Ronnie Reed make it again, umm umm good jumbalia(sp)
Old 02-28-2003, 01:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar classic, blue w/ white,Keith Craft 418 ( 606 HP ) pump gas motor
Not Ranked     

Some other thoughts,

Loved hotel, cruise, etc.

That said, I would like to have seen a bigger group at the tailgate parties. I understand that was easier for some to head back straight from Gruene but it would have been loads more fun with the rest of y'all.

Mrs. 66 Snake
Old 02-28-2003, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     

1. Use the same hotel - its closer to Dallas!! (And great service, rooms, parking lot)

2. Be a little more proactive on getting the hotel to sanction off an entire section of the parking lot for us before we arrive so we can organize the trailers and RVs better

3. Get two flatbeds for a stage in the parking lot for the Saturday night jam with Stretch Williams Band and Pat Green!! (hint, hint)

4. ditch the Origins garage -- the club is too big now.. just have a car show and cruise starting point at the host hotel.

5. Gruene is too crowded, too commerical, terrible parking, too many tourists... maybe find a big park on Canyon Lake or Lake Travis ... cater the food in for the crowd.

6. Dare I suggest -- move the event out of February!!! Why tempt fate any longer?!?! We all missed getting iced in on I-35 with a thousand 18-wheelers by a mere 48 hours!!! Two outta three years we were bailing water out of the Cobras on Friday night...

Okay what do I know anyhow.... I don't even own a Cobra... maybe next year...

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 02-28-2003, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

But Bobby, you do own a cobra. Its a little die cast but it is a Cobra.

Hey I like the idea of everyone meeting in the hotel parking lot! We could put all the cars in the front of the hotel and take our pics there. What a great idea!
Old 02-28-2003, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by 4RE KLR

But Bobby, you do own a cobra. Its a little die cast but it is a Cobra.
well hey I got PLENTY of those!! A few turn-keys and one hand-built...

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 02-28-2003, 03:39 PM
The Royal Rhubarb
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Bobby

Great ideas!!

The parking Lot across the street was empty!!

Another thought, a practice lot for a highschool marching band, it's got a tower, we could take the picture from!!
The King

Last edited by ERA600hp; 02-28-2003 at 03:44 PM..
Old 02-28-2003, 04:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up I did notice.......

the parking lot across the street to the north was completely empty and plenty big! Might be a good place to stage the cars vs. the Origin garage. I don't remember what the lot is associated with though, we might need to get the owner's approval to use it. Worth looking into if everyone thinks the Origin garage is too small. I personally like the garage because of the view.

As far as the hotel, I say book it now!

Jim

Last edited by jwoodard; 02-28-2003 at 04:08 PM..
Old 02-28-2003, 04:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CMC, 351 Cleveland, Dual Quads, C6
Not Ranked     

1. Keep same hotel (Ask them for better/more waitstaff in restaraunt. Food-Very Good. Service-Sucked)
2. Ditch Origin Garage. (Too small)
3. Have photo/show at or near the hotel. (Maybe photog could get on top of the hotel?)
4. Cruise to Gruene was GREAT! Food was GREAT! Parking SUCKED BIG TIME!
5. Blake- What's up for next year? A Friggin' Hot Sauce Enema?
6. Ryan- Let's see if you can come up with a plan that is everything to everybody!

Just my opinions! (Which usually mean nothing at my house anyway!)

Last edited by kountzecobra; 02-28-2003 at 06:24 PM..
Old 02-28-2003, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Guys, it sounds like we are all on the same page. Hotel was great, lets book it NOW for next year only move the event forward 2-4 weeks say march 15 or so. The rain sucks every year and you guys will wish we had moved it forward sooner once we get a real weekend like we just had. we've talked about it so many times before so lets quit fart'in around and move the date. Cruise was also great through the hill country, however Gruene is Not the place we need to end up. Do New Braunfels instead. No more meeting at Origin if we have more than 65 confirmed cars fornext year. To small if the club continues to grow at the rate it is. That garage was also NOT constructed to hold 70 or so 3,000 lb. cars in the center section away from the load supporting walls. I've been there every year and this was the first time i ever felt that place shake like that. We could seriously be stretching the load supporting ability of those pre stressed beams and slab sections. We also need to start earlier and spend less time at our starting location, need to drive and see more. The group as a whole did great this year in staying together and watching out for ea. other. The 360 Hwy, is always a great picturesque place to visit when we are there. I personally love the top of Origin for the view and the remoteness of it . Maybe we can find a similair spot somewhere else out near 360. This was one of our best years so far, I would like to see a much better election held for president in the future though. That was weak at best! Great job on hotel and cruise route this year.
Old 02-28-2003, 07:21 PM
The Royal Rhubarb
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question Drew

What difference does it make to you when we have it, I don't think that you've had a car in Austin yet!!
If you did ever bring a car you'd trailer it!
The Royal Rhubarb
Old 02-28-2003, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: specialty motor car (out of existence) 351w 405 hp. c6 auto.
Not Ranked     

Guys

I vote to ditch the Origion Parking lot , it cost us alot of time. We could follow Bob Worley's plan to find a park and cater lunch. Pictures could be taken in the park From the top of a shelter house or the top of a truck anything would work. Stage the cruise at the hotel lot and drive to the park . Those that wanted could go shopping or see the sights and meet back at the park for lunch. After lunch leave as a group back to the hotel for tail gate party. Just something think about.

Bob Taulbee
Old 02-28-2003, 08:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What does it matter which car I have had or not had there. I'm there and that's what I care about. don't worry about my cars, I've had plenty of them and will probaly have plenty more. The fact is: We can always improve with growth and planning. Remember it's about people,and the relationships that have developed due to car ownership and local gatherings.Which in turn lead to out of state gatherings and other out of town meetings. Seems like my cars have been to other places like Tulsa,motorsport ranch,vette Viper challengeetc... You know I do beleive that those are competion events. So what's your point Tom?? Don't I have a right to voice, since I AM a Founding TCC Member!!! By the way, Your friend at Tx. Body works DID get paid, since I finally got the Ck. from Doug Reed. That's what took so long Where do you come off talking to me like that anyway. So I like to take care of my cars, SO What. I do seem t remember running my car at Hallet, Enis, Cresson, and every other Dallas outing wher there are would be predators, such as lurking ERA's. My cars are not trailer queens. They are well thought out monsters that kick butt when provoked!