12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2003, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 3668 5.0, Windsor Jr., E303, Cobra intake.
Not Ranked     
Default Mustang, where do you buy your tools

I'm trying to find a nice flexible 12-15in long sanding board. Where do you get one around here? You see, I'm having to start my own body work, because somebody won't do any more Cobras for awhile..... The only online place that I have found that seems to have one is Eastwood and they are over $50
Old 03-23-2003, 06:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CMC, 351 Cleveland, Dual Quads, C6
Not Ranked     

I would think your local automotive paint supply store would have them or could get one easily.
Old 03-24-2003, 03:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

Dave
There is a chain of stores called Finishmasters. They cater to the autobody industry. My guess is you probably have one near you. Don't expect things related to bodywork are going to be cheap. Use 3-M products. they are the best. Good luck.
Steven
Old 03-24-2003, 10:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default autobody tools

thanks guys. Off to the yellow pages. I was looking at tool type stores.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Custom Built Classic Motor Carriage T 5 Z tranny still in the making ..
Not Ranked     
Talking David K

Sorry my internet provider hade some serious problems this week end .As for your answer to your ? . Oreillys has sanding boards long and short for under 20.00 buckaroos .David where are you on your Cobra ?
Tony
Old 03-24-2003, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Sanding boards

Tony,
Thanks. I hadn't been to O Reilleys yet, but I know where it is.
I have a go-cart that runs good. Got the wiring tidied up and drove it down the street. I still need to button up the driver's side footbox. Just a matter of aligning and drilling. I think I'm going to put the top two panels on with screws.
I'm started on the body. Ground down the seams, routed out the gelcoat. Put on the first coat of resin on the seams to seal the edges and am about ready to start filling. I have to go get a different filler than the one I have (I'm using West Marine) and don't want to apply any before I have the longboard and appropriate paper to sand it down.
Got to say, I knew from the start that the FFR body would be more work than some of the other kits, but I wasn't completely prepared for what I've seen. That being said, I'm not unhappy with the kit overall. I guess I'm a few months behind schedule.
Dave
Old 03-26-2003, 09:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

David, I spent about 70 hours on the body before I took it to the body shop. They spent many more hours. In the end it is worth it all. Before long it will look like this.

James
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2003, 06:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Custom Built Classic Motor Carriage T 5 Z tranny still in the making ..
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb Thats my point

Yeap that's why I prefer to do collision work.Less work ,time and more money .If you figure that you spend at least 70 to 150 hrs on a cobra body @40.00 an hour thats $2800.00 to $6000.00 just on LABOR . Paint & Met . 800.00 to 2000.00 on top .WHY would someone want to work for free in a business when he has WORK to do at 40.00 plus and 30% mark up on parts .There are just a few people willing to do this kind of work for less moneys and a few people willing to pay this kind a price for Quality work YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR .Ask a few people in the club that know this for a fact .I am not directing this to or at anyone in our club but just giving you a insight from the opposite side .So If you are going to spend 5000.00 on a engine 3500. for tires and 15000.00 on a kit why do you think you are going to get it painted for 1500.00 Now Dennis did get his done at a reasonable price and has one of the better paint jobs for the money .Other than that if you want to save some money do it yourself.Just like anything else .But remember that most paint shops don't like painting over someone's work ! Because they are the ones to get blamed for any problems that may occur other than solvent pop a painter would not be reasonable for anything other than that !most of the other problems will be on the body work side .
T
Old 03-27-2003, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Bodywork

Like I said at the TCC get together, I don't blame you and understand exactly why. I'm taking James' approach. Do as much of the bodywork as I can myself and pass it on to the pros for primer and paint... Expecting that they are going to have to make another pass of sanding and probably a bit of faring. I think I have found a shop to do the paintjob after I do the work, but I'm sure they will want some sort of clause saying that I'm responsible for the bodywork and any problems it causes.
Fair enough. I finally found an O'Reilleys that stocked the longboard and am about ready to get back after it.
Old 03-27-2003, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking David K

Cool David, make sure you wear a GOOD dust mask at all times if your glasses get foggy place some tape over the top half of your mask and were long clothes your skin will suck in the fiberglass as well .Fiberglass will really do some damage as well as any of the primers or any body supplys .Good Luck need any info feel free to email me mustang_mendez@lockhart .net
Big
T
Old 03-27-2003, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Nice diggs there Mendez.
Looked at your gallery.
Almost makes me want to Get back into that line of work. I can smell the reducer mmmmmmmmmm!
Steven
Old 03-27-2003, 09:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking Cool Steve

Yeah .........You know what it takes, if you can smell the reducer I know where you are coming from !
Get back in it Ins. bis . is good $$$$$$......... I was train by the best Drunk painters in this area .
Theres nothing like drinking a few beers and jumping in the booth for some paint fums to top it off ..................

painters Joke { You Go Steve R }

Big T
Old 03-28-2003, 07:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

My favorite is the smell of Centari in the morning. mmmmm, mmmmmm, mmmmm!
Hows the EPA these days? It was starting to get real spooky when I got out.

Last edited by Steve R; 03-28-2003 at 07:09 AM..
Old 03-28-2003, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default EPA

Epa has more authority than IRS and a Texas Ranger that's spooky .We try our best to keep it right .
T