LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2003, 08:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None yet!
Send a message via Yahoo to aks801
Not Ranked     
Unhappy Not sure of manufacturer to choose

I'm really glad I found this forum, and the TCC site! Always good to chat it up with fellow Texans....

I'm starting to waffle a bit on which manufacturer I should go with, and I'd like you good folks to weigh in on this. Here's where I'm coming from: plan has been to go with FFR. I like their price, the light weight, original style frame, and the donor concept. Plus, tons of builder experience out there! Here's where the waffling comes in: the more I plan it, the less donor parts I want to use. Want to use an old 351W and put Weber carbs on it, want to get a Lincoln Versailles rear end because of the disk brakes, want new steering rack, new gauges... you get the picture. Does it still make sense at that point to go with FFR? Possibly, but would like some input. By the way, I also don't like the FFR "perky butt", but could live with it (have seen a few posts of people re-shaping that area, even).

Cost is a definite factor. Is B&B a candidate for this project? Or Midstates? I think Unique is out of the price range, and pretty sure ERA is!

Thanks in advance!
alan
Old 04-20-2003, 03:06 AM
The Royal Rhubarb
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #495,427SO, Stroked
Send a message via AIM to ERA600hp
Not Ranked     
Talking

Have you look at or considered a Superformance?
Sometimes if you look at a doner and then consider the clean up and reconditioning it will cost you more than buying new!
Also to, don't buy what will make someone else happy!

What is going to make you happy when you put your head on your pillow at night?
Thats the biggest consideration!

The Royal Rhubarb
Old 04-20-2003, 06:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

I think that whenever someone starts looking for a manufacturer, FFR is the first one they look at... It's an appealing presentation and seems to be the obvious choice... The more you look the more you realize that there are lots of brands and they all offer something of value... Then it gets really confusing...
The first thing I would check is the used Cobra market... The market is depressed right at this moment in time and lots of great deals are out there... This would be a great time to purchase an already built car and tweak it to your needs...
FFR makes a nice kit, so does AC, so does Unique, etc.... AC delivers a body in a beautiful finished gel coat... You could clear coat it and never paint it... Saves you thousands right there...
So many different aspects to selecting a kit....
Old 04-20-2003, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     
Talking my point

I always tell people to ride in the cars they are looking at.

With the FFR, a lot has to do with who/how the car was finished. I have seen some VERY nice FFR's (go to DVSF III). If you ride in the ones you like the looks of, it should tell you how the car will handle after the build.

I always liked "the look" of the SPF's, and after the ride in one (after riding in many Cobras), I made up my mind. Errrrrrr should I say my wife made up my mind.........But that is another story

Eric
Old 04-20-2003, 07:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

AKS,

Asp is correct.... A good place to shop is the DVSF in June in Columbus, Ohio... A pretty good representation of many mfgs.
and people love to tell you about their cars... I went last year and listened to everything people had to say...
Also, in May there is a kit car show in Carlisle Pa. that is supposed to be great.. Going to make that show if I can just to see what's out there... I guess about 95% of the Kit and turnkey people will be there hawking their wares....
Time and money well spent....

anyway, my .04 cents worth
Old 04-20-2003, 07:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CMC, 351 Cleveland, Dual Quads, C6
Not Ranked     

Alan, have you been to any of our monthly Houston meetings? A good time to see many makes at one time.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None yet!
Send a message via Yahoo to aks801
Not Ranked     

Thanks to those who have responded so far: keep 'em coming!

To give more background, I have visited several manufacturers on site (Lone Star and Midstates). We have some friends moving to Boston, so that should be reason enough to go up there and visit FFR.

I did stop by a Houston gathering last weekend at Willie's in Sugar Land: was that the TCC that put that on? Definitely was a good time, and I was able to talk briefly to a few folks. Most of my time was spent chasing around my enthusastic 3 year old son, so I wasn't able to have real in depth talks! I'll definitely be on the lookout for future such gatherings, as that first hand builder experience can be really helpful in my earth-shattering decision.

late.
alan
Old 04-20-2003, 10:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

aks801,

I am building an FFR non donor with a 351, and I did consider a SPF for the 36K less a motor and transmision. My original plan was to go the donor route to save money and be under 20K, now 35K later and still in need of a paint job and much work. SPF looks pretty good, but the one thing with FFR that was important to me was the frame design . My first choice of replica was the Kirkham, but I just can't afford something that would cost me 4 years salary or more. I think I would be a proud owner of a SPF right now, had I known how much money and work I would have in my FFR,don't get me wrong, i'm proud of my FFR build, just that you can have a Cobra for that kind of money with less work.

Just my .02 worth, Happy Cobra hunting!
ACE

Last edited by ALLEN ENGLISH; 04-20-2003 at 10:16 AM..
Old 04-20-2003, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ask801,

Don't forget to give backdraft a look.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 66 427W Roadster
Not Ranked     

i chose B&B and am not disappointed. They have been super helping me with my project. Real headers, etc. I originally wanted a factory five, but two reasons stopped me. Shipping from MASS and I liked the mustang so much i race it autox on weekends. I have few donor parts. (very few). It is much cheaper to go the donor route, but I am happy with my original Cobra, not another one like it. I will be in Tulsa all week but you can call me anytime if you have questions after I get back.
tom
Old 04-20-2003, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

aks801
You mentioned you went to midstates, did you check out their sister company Shell Valley? They build a nice kit with a lot of standard equipment that is all new and not doner. The A & C kit with the gel coat body is a better finished body than the Shell Valley but it has some flaws that you cannot fix without painting the car. For example on some of the cars I have seen the doors don't fit perfect, in places core mat is visable, and I personally do not like the wheel openings. I am not bashing the car because in my opinion they build the best body but my point is no body is perfect. Shell Valley seem to me to offer a good body decent frame alot of standard hipo features and are willing to customize their car to the purchaser all at a good price.
As Allen English stated though no matter what kit and how cheap the kit is you can spend alot of money depending on what you can do yourself and what you have to purchase or pay some one else to do for you and the SPF can be affordable in the long run and it is a nice car.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     
Default Re: Not sure of manufacturer to choose

Quote:
Originally posted by aks801

I'm really glad I found this forum, and the TCC site! Always good to chat it up with fellow Texans....

I'm starting to waffle a bit on which manufacturer I should go with, and I'd like you good folks to weigh in on this. Here's where I'm coming from: plan has been to go with FFR. I like their price, the light weight, original style frame, and the donor concept. Plus, tons of builder experience out there! Here's where the waffling comes in: the more I plan it, the less donor parts I want to use. Want to use an old 351W and put Weber carbs on it, want to get a Lincoln Versailles rear end because of the disk brakes, want new steering rack, new gauges... you get the picture. Does it still make sense at that point to go with FFR? Possibly, but would like some input. By the way, I also don't like the FFR "perky butt", but could live with it (have seen a few posts of people re-shaping that area, even).

Cost is a definite factor. Is B&B a candidate for this project? Or Midstates? I think Unique is out of the price range, and pretty sure ERA is!

Thanks in advance!
alan
Take your time! That's my advise. I originally was interested in the FFR car because of cost & the project looks like a lot of fun. Then it was Unique, then I finally decided that If I get anything but ERA would not be completely happy & would end up selling it in the end for a loss just move up to an ERA. Of course none of these are "bad cars" I just had to come to grips with what I really wanted out of the car, then figure out a way to get the money to get started. It has been 2.5 years since my obsession started & now I am getting close to putting my hands on the car that is right for me!
Old 04-21-2003, 09:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #89 Keith Craft Genesis 427 so, stroked to 482, 649 hp. Sabre GT 40 #16 351W stroked to 408, 527hp, TWM stack injection, Fast XFI, G50/50.
Not Ranked     

Hey Alan,

Any car you pick will be the right car for you as long as you make an informed decision. Do your homework and you cant go wrong.

If you would like an opportunity to see many of the cars you have been talking about you should try and make it to the AER car show. TCC will be having our monthly meeting there and we expect 20-25 cars representing ERA, Superformance, Unique, Lone Star, Factory Five, Classic, and others. You will be able to see the differences side by side and talk builders of most.

Congrats on your decison for a Cobra and I hope to see you at our next meeting.

John
Old 04-21-2003, 03:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Alan,
My A&C is about 65% complete. Drop me an email if you would like to check it out. I'm only about 15 minutes from Katy. Len
Old 04-21-2003, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4039 427 FE 1966- SOLD
Not Ranked     

Strictly on appearance, IMO Classic Roadsters and ERA have the best and most authentic appearance of the cars I've seen in person. Unique seems to tuck its tail under a bit. B&B is quite nice looking, but next to a Classic Roadster, I think the Classic looks better (meaning closer to original, and just a nice proportion overall- although as I recall the door was not great looking). Lone Stars look nice, but are quite different in appearance with lower front end, but much higher dashboard and steering wheel position, and jack lifts that stick way out in front and rear. FFR's just are longer and perky in the hips. Excalibur's look pretty good. Havn't seen a MidStates or newer Shell Valley in person, unfortunately. For the money, I really was impressed with Classic Roadster. There's a red one on ebay with a low reserve. Pics may not be the most flaterring, for sure. Stan in our club has one. It's light blue. There are picks in the gallery from about two weeks ago from our Waco meet.
My opinion.

Last edited by CSX 4039; 04-21-2003 at 04:14 PM..
Old 04-22-2003, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classic Competition #56, 425HP Lingafelter 428 Cobrajet
Not Ranked     
Default Shop around before buying

Alan,

I agree with everyone who replied. You will be happy if you make your choice after doing your homework/research. Many factors to consider, from self-build vs turnkey vs something in-between, quality/craftmanship, options available (street vs competition frame, donor parts vs custom parts, how close to original in details,), price, customer support, location (shipping/trailering price), customer satisfaction,...

I went with LoneStar Classics because I feel that though their Cobra is not an exact replica of the original (battery and rollbar is not in driver cockpit as an example), their product is of very high quality for the price. They are local for me and I know that Steve Newmark has been most straightforward with me and stands behind his product 100%. Lone Star Classics has always made good with me, and I was their pickiest customer.

Take your time and gather all the details that are important to you. Though my car is a dual award winner at Yellow Rose Ford Nationals, other manufacturer's kit cars has taken the trophy in competition with my car at the other car shows. Ask for references of satisfied customers, and check with cobracountry.com for paper businesses that steal money and run.

-Alan
Old 04-22-2003, 11:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #42, 425HP 347 - NASA TX, CMC #55 Mustang Road Racer - Legends 37' Chevy Coupe #43 Oval Racer - Honda CRF450R(I'm afraid to race it), 95' Black Lighting Daily Scooter
Not Ranked     

aks801: These guys are giving you good advise. Even though I represent Backdraft Racing, I will also advise you to look at em' and talk to owners. The club meetings are a great place to do that. Owners have more than a little to say about the build, the manufacturer, the quality, the customer service... of the car they chose.

BTW: Welcome to the forum!

Boudy
Old 04-22-2003, 12:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

You might check the old ERA vs. SPF thread on this site. Everyone pipes in on that one for various brands...

In short, to me it really seems to come down to a few things: 1) Maximum Budget! 2) Personal preference for looks 3) Personal preference about use and driving characteristics of each car/type.

You'll find that just about Everybody loves their own car. There are a lot of good new and used cars out there now to look at and compare, at various price levels. It seems that most of the manufacturures have had to step it up a notch in order to remain competetive - if they want to stay in business... Good luck on the venture!
Old 04-22-2003, 07:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

if I were a manufacturer right now I would be a little nervous. The economy isn't showing too many signs of going anywhere. I hope that my order is helping the industry & ERA. I also hope that the economy finds a way to revitalize itself soon & that the Cobra Replica industry pulls through without any losses.
Old 04-23-2003, 04:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE,460 BIG BLOCK
Not Ranked     

I would strongly suggest that you talk with the reed brothers at spf in new orleans.....i feel that my spf was a good decision and feel the resale value is well protected.....unless you are well educated in the mechanics of these cars the spf provides a excellent way to get a built car.....lm arnold