28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2003, 03:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

Lets see, you have a comp chassis? The latest comp's have 2 hoops that pretty much line up with each end of the drive shaft (but not exactly, depends on the drivetrain components you are using). Along the top connecting the 2 hoops is a "L" brace. Older chassis just have the hoop in the front. The problem I see is the hoops are a large radius, and the shaft could potentially miss one end or the other and tear into the L brace. As pointed out by xlr8or the fuel line and the rear brake line run along the top of the L bracket. Nasty failure mode there.

The Summitt piece is of a smaller diameter, and if centered on the drive shaft, will serve both ends. Care must be taken to find the "sweet spot" midway between the trans and the diff. This is the spot where rear suspensioin travel will not cause the drive shaft to hit the hoop, yet with one end or the other, the shaft won't hit ANYTHING. A failure of one end or the other would then not get anywhere near that L bracket, and you won't go pole vaulting either. A failure of both ends might, and I say might, give the shaft one chance to whack at things, but it will be totally disconnected and on its way out of the car.

Lone Star has done more than most to protect for this type of failure. But for $35 the Summitt piece will prevent the nastiest failure mode. Sounds cheap to me.

Welding a bar across the bottom is a definite improvement and if thats all you want to do, I say its a good idea. But keep in mind this setup will define a larger diameter for the shaft to flail around in than the summitt piece.

The pictures you see off my chassis are the result of 4 Saturdays. Don't mean to make you feel bad. Lets see, there are 3 of you here in Texas at about the same point. Might be interesting if everybody plus me went to each house for a weekend. Might save tons of time.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classic LS427 (Under construction)
Send a message via Skype™ to mbishop
Not Ranked     

Dave,
Thanks for the info. You're right for the small cost ot the rig from Summit, I don't think fabricating something is worth the effort. I was looking at making a two piece hoop that fit just behind the front "half hoop". I hadn't worked the angles to make certain that was as far back as I could go. But for $35 I will just bolt in the one from Summit.

As for the build time, I’m a small business owner so I get about 3hours on Sunday afternoon for myself. But that’s OK I’ll get there, half the fun is the journey (right?). I need to learn not to fuss over it too much. Like how close do you try to get the placement of the lower control arms?

Anyway I need to get off forum and back to coding, have a big demo for a client on Friday. Clients can be so demanding they actually expect your stuff to work.

See ya,
Mark
Old 06-11-2003, 05:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to ThePidler
Not Ranked     
Default Hey gang

Yeah, I agree, the loop is a MUST. Interesting on TOP of the tunnel...I'll have to see that Saturday. What day is everyone going to be there Sat? I was planning on coming up Sat morning, but I'm flexible.

Great pix Dave, still interested in seeing how you attached the braided lines to the frame up front. The holes in my brackets are too big, (maybe I'm being too picky...)

You guys are killin me. I am all poised, I'm dragging some $$ outta the market and gonna invest in something a little different, Muscle Cars. I'm all set to start dickerin on this gorgeous '65 GTO Convertible, tri-power, redlines...beautiful car...

And now....mmaaaannn...

Let me know when everyone's showing Sat to see CowTown's ride!! Do we need an Ice Chest of beer? I think the rotation at everyones house is a great idea, we can plan it Sat!

greg
Greg.S.Rice@mail.sprint.com
214-457-7434-cell
Old 06-13-2003, 10:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey all,

I usually get there about 8:30. Work until 3-3:30. You don't need to be there quite that early, but feel free if you want. No beer for me while I'm working, thanks.

Last edited by CowtownCobra; 06-13-2003 at 10:35 AM..
Old 06-14-2003, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well gentlemen, you missed your chance to see the completed chassis without the body to hide things. Here's what I have now:
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2003, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dave,
Do you remember your spacer arrangement for the lower control arms?

Mark
Old 06-14-2003, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mark,

I looked thru my pictures, but I couldn't find one that clearly showed the order of the delron bushing and things. And I would not want to guess. Those need to be done right. If I had the car here in the garage I'd go take a picture right now. Call Lone Star on Monday, ask Joel, he's my Cobra guru.
Old 06-14-2003, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, right now mine are not even on the spacers but the control arms are where I think they should be. Any info will help, I can always go back and change it but I hate to put the wear and tear on the nylon nuts.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 06-16-2003, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to ThePidler
Not Ranked     
Default Jeez

Sorry to have missed ya Dave. I ended up being in Colorado all weekend. Had some water issues at our place there.

Looks great though. Will you be there this Sat.

greg
Old 06-18-2003, 12:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: none
Not Ranked     

It sure is nice to see all of you Lone Star folk talkin on the Forum. Out here in Arizona Lone Star's are scarce, only 2 cars that I know of, lot's of FF5's.
It took me two years to build my car, and another 6 months to finish. I did all the no, no's so I might be able to help in some cases. I also took alot of shots of the car when I was building it so I might have a picture that will help.
Here is some background: Lone Stat comp kit, 429 Wedge (Dennis said don't do it!) 482hp at the rear wheels, and I race the car on the track. It has all the goodies, to many to list. and through the two year process the guys at Lone Star were allways there for me. I shifted the motor back 6" for the CG, and they had to re-make all of the pipes, no questiones asked and they paid the freight. They are the best bunch of guys to work with over there!
If I can help let me know.........
Brian.Williams@ESCOCorp.com
Keep above 100.........L8R,
Brian