28 29 30        
Old 03-16-2004, 09:25 PM
Subsistance du serpent
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baldwin
Not Ranked     

Morris,

Standaard has also quoted the McKleod blowproof bellhousings (not the modular) but I was too busy today to get the details. I will call Joe in the morning to get this thing moving forward and also post the McKleod Jobber pricing.

At this rate, we should apply to become a tranmission shop and buy direct from TTC.

A few ERAs, SPFs, Shelbys, Kirkhams...
Old 03-16-2004, 09:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Default TKO

Roxie_427,

My opinion on a .64 top gear isn't that flash, because its a ridiculously high gear for a Cobra, even on a 3.50 final drive ration you will never pull top or anything like it.
The way I would advocate this sort of gearing is to have a big block and it wouldn't be much more than standard in the camshaft, and your are doing economy runs!

Then again its personal preference, I have used SMOKEMUP.COM to work out multiple diff ratios etc, this is an excellent website and it gives you all the speeds in the gears!

The 1960's rocked!
Old 03-17-2004, 06:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

A.J:
The TKO also comes with a 0.82 or 83 5th gear which is what I'll be using. I feel it's a more rational overdrive value.
DonC
Old 03-17-2004, 06:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Morris, The tko should fit in the kirkam just fine. It bolted right into my hi-tech which is the same as a kirkam. Scott
Old 03-17-2004, 06:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Don-
slight nit pick, but the TKO II has the .82 5th. I have it in my ERA with 3.31 rear and it is great. Cruising at 75-80, rpm is right around 26-2700.

I am considering changing to the TKO 600 b/c of the better 1st gear though. First gear in the TKO II (3.27) is not bad with a 3.31, but it is a little short- it's good to about 25 mph or so for normal street driving.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 03-17-2004, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

James

Thanks ... I'm not sure I understand the adapter (will it be a weak link in the drive train) that we are talking about.... think I know but want to make sure....

Scott

That's reassuring.... are you using the TkO on the race tracks.?? and is it working fine.... with not much maintenance....

BTW the shifting mech looks very positive and like it could take a beating....is that so...???

Morris
Old 03-17-2004, 07:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP329 w/KC489 Shelby
Not Ranked     

Morris,

Let us know what you come up with working with the Kirkhams. I'm pretty sure the Kirkham frame requires mods. Shelby uses the same frame but makes mods to the engine mount towers and that is why Shelbys can use Tremecs. Maybe that is what frame configuration HiTec was using.

I would like the use of the 5th gear as well, but I also would like to know what is involved in the mod. I don't like the idea of reducing the diameter of the cross-member for stiffness and strength concerns. If all that is involve is moving a the mounting bracket, that is very doable.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dreamer

We'll be happy to let every one know what needs to be done.... In fact we'll ask Tom to take some photo's....
Old 03-17-2004, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Morris, the problem that I had with the tremec was on downshifts. I was breaking the edges off of the 3 little rectangle detents that are in the syncro assembly. I spoke with D&D transmision and they said that they were seeing some tko's and the t-56's with the same problem on down shifts. I would like to see an exploded veiw of the new 500 and 600 tko to see if they have addressed the problem. Just remember, I was running 650hp and downshift into the next gear were at 5,000 rpm or better when I engaged the lower gear. I am running the jerrico now and like it much better for road raceing. Scott
Old 03-17-2004, 10:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Default TKO-600

DonC,
Yep the 0.83 would be good for cruising and the improved 2.87 first gear.

coyled,
About the syncros being a weak point I dont know that for sure but feedback on this forum appears that they are. I will either be shooting for a Jerico or a Toploader, in fact I dont want syncros at all so that makes the question easy!

The 1960's rocked!
Old 03-17-2004, 12:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chaplin:
The slightly higher 1st gear is what I'm looking at as well. I'd originally planned on the TKOII but thought the 1st was a little low for the street. The 2.87 in the 600 vs the 3.27 in the TKO/TKOII is what caught my attention. Planning on the 3.31 rear end as well. When everything comes together I'll have a better handle on even going as high as 2.88's in the rear but I want to drive it a bit first.
My turn key (#684) was just released for paint and Walt Wosko thinks it will be about the end of April of first of May before he's through with it. Then it's back to Uncle Peter and the ERA elves to put the rest of it together.
An hoping for early to mid June.
DonC
Old 03-17-2004, 03:15 PM
Subsistance du serpent
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baldwin
Not Ranked     

Quick update- I should be getting the updated pricing on all the blowproof and clutch accessories from them by tomorrow. I will post it as soon as possible

A few ERAs, SPFs, Shelbys, Kirkhams...
Old 03-17-2004, 03:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Don-
Depending on the cam you are running, you might not want to go with much less than 3.31s. I think the .83 5th with 3.31s is perfect- motor runs right between 2500-2800 (60-80 mph) while cruising on the highway and has plenty of passing power in 5th- you really don't ever need to down shift on the highway to pass- unless of course you want to

With a 2.88 and the .83th, it might drop your rpm too low and out of the powerband and the engine might even lug a little bit- of course this all depends on your cam. (for reference my cam is comp cams 292H. duration @50 is 244/244 and lift is .561)

But even with the 3.31 rear, the 3.27 1st in the TKO II is still very usable for normal street driving. But the 2.87 1st in the TKO 600 would be better.

edit: BTW, Walt did my car. You will be very happy with the paint job. What color did you pick?

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 03-17-2004, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

James

What about.....
Mid shifter - 12.65" centered ........$300
FE Upgrade....................................$295
Speedometer Drive/adapter Elect..$ 89
HD Spicer Slip Yoke (2 each)...........$ 90
Transmission Mount Eurothane......$ 30
Hurst Shifter Bar.............................$ 80
Polished Aluminum Ball...................$ ?
Extra input shaft.............................$ ?

These are things listed in the price for TOK3550's ... will we need these item's.... and if so can we order them at the time of transmission order , or is there a better way....

Morris
Old 03-17-2004, 07:33 PM
I feel the need for speed
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default TKO-600

I believe I am interested. I am mating to a 460 motor..need a slightly different setup....

Let me know when you're about ready to order...

Mike
Old 03-18-2004, 03:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

James, Will this set up work in our Kirkham's. If so I will probably want one as well. Drew
Old 03-18-2004, 06:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Parrish

James,

I went to your pictures to see if I could recognize your car from the Austin event. I met so many people that I can't remember if we met, or not.

Rocket Man
Ted,

We caravaned down to Austin from Fort Worth together. You have a great looking cobra and that street rod you showed me the plans for are going to make an unreal tow vehicle. Good luck.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chaplin:
Going with a stock 2003-2004 Ford color called Red Fire Pearl Mettalic Clear Coat (the follow on color to Lazer Red) for the body with GM Gold Mettalic stripes.
Art from NECobras has graciously offered to stop by on occasion and take a photo for me so I'll have a record of the build/paint progress. I'll post when they're available.
DonC
Old 03-18-2004, 09:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP329 w/KC489 Shelby
Not Ranked     

James,

Talked to the Kirkhams today and they are actively working on a mod to allow the Tremec. So, sign me up to the group buy.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Given the flurry of activity surrounding this I think we all owe James a round of applause for the effort he's put into this.
DonC