Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2004, 11:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default get in on group buy

Is it posible a mustang owner could get in on the group buy?
Ford TKO-600 (TCET 5008)

Who do I contact?
Thanks,

Josh
Old 03-21-2004, 05:07 PM
Subsistance du serpent
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baldwin
Not Ranked     

Hi All,

I am back and have a little more info for you. Let's make the cut off Monday night and I will have all the details setup with Standard Transmission.

Joe confirmed that he will need to have some accessories purchased to help justify the pricing with his boss ( but since we have a larger number of transmissions from what we first thought, hopefully the prices will not move).

He sent me the following prices for the accessories many of you have requested.

TKO Transmission - $1502.00
Hydraulic Slave System - $366.67
Scattershield with all accesories - $560.00
Twin Disc Clutch Assembly with Steel flywheel - $800.00
Twin Disc Clutch Assembly with aluminum flywheel - $980.00
Yoke - $62.44

If you have other driveline-related needs, add it to the list and we can get him to quote it in the package.

Here is how we should work it (unless you have a better idea). Put your list of items together and email them to me by Monday evening. I will send the entire list to Joe on Tuesday morning and get him to confirm the prices and method of ordering, freight, etc..

You can email me at baldwin007@aol.com since I will be traveling this week and that is the easiest email address for me to check. I will post the entire order up here on Tuesday night.

A few ERAs, SPFs, Shelbys, Kirkhams...

Last edited by James Baldwin; 03-21-2004 at 06:01 PM..
Old 03-21-2004, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, Shelby Aluminum 427, stroked
Send a message via AIM to Roxie_427
Not Ranked     

James,

Could you define "some accessories"? Yes, I'll need a slave cylinder setup, scattershield, clutch, pressure plate, etc. However, I'm just starting my Cobra project and have to watch my budget.

In addition, some details on brand names of accessories would be helpful.

Thanks for arranging this. I've been through similar and understand how difficult it can be.

Tim
Old 03-21-2004, 05:57 PM
Subsistance du serpent
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Good point - I went back an edited the post

Pretty much anything driveline related. You will need the part numbers of the items and that is it. Joe made it sound like they can provide most any brand.

Last edited by James Baldwin; 03-21-2004 at 06:01 PM..
Old 03-21-2004, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

James

Hydraulic Slave System - $366.67
Scattershield with all accesories - $560.00
Twin Disc Clutch Assembly with Steel flywheel - $800.00
Twin Disc Clutch Assembly with aluminum flywheel - $980.00
Yoke - $62.44

I'm asking if these items are McLeod parts?
And if they are the newest parts availible...? ie new style TOB.... Isn't there a new Bellhousing that does not need the adapter plate????

In addition.... if we have an issue .... who will we call....?? I don't know who Standard is....

Sorry for all of the questions... but I'd like to know before I jump...

Morris
Old 03-21-2004, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP
Not Ranked     

Are there any downsides/compromises to using a TKO-600 instead of a WR Toploader? Other than strict originality, are there any reasons to stick with a Toploader?

Thanks

I'm no expert.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Lew,

I have a Toploader in my '66 Mustang. In order for it to be quicker around city streets, I chose a 3.50 rear gear ratio. The fourth gear in the Toploader is 1:1, therefore the final drive ratio is 3.50:1. On the highway, the car can seem a little "busy" with the higher rpms required.

The advantage of the TKO-600 or other 5-speeds is the overdrive gear. It allows you to reduce rpms on the highway, while maintaining performance at the lower speeds.

My two cents.

Tim
Old 03-21-2004, 09:30 PM
Subsistance du serpent
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Morris,

Yes, those are all McKleod parts but other parts are available if you prefer.

I will verify, but I believe this blowproof housing comes with the adapted plate

The TOB is the newest (non-banjo fitting) type.

As far as the company... It is Standard Transmission Supply in Ft. Worth. The reps name is Joe Dietrich in case their are specific questions. I am sorry but I do not have the number right now but I am sure they are listed.

Hope that helps. If not, let me know

Old 03-21-2004, 11:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Default Clutch and slave system

I was wondering about the throwout units, that go on the gearbox front shaft bearing retaining snout, are these more reliable than the external slave cylinder, fork and pivot etc?

Also the twin plate clutch systems, these sound like a better way to go for road and track??

The 1960's rocked!
Old 03-22-2004, 06:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SHELBY GT500...slightly modified. Former owner of CSX4758..a GEM of a ride!
Not Ranked     

James....what all do I need?

Gary
Old 03-22-2004, 10:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

James

Had a good conversation with Joe at Standard Transmission and he reassured me about the products being McLoed parts.

He did say the spacer is just a 5/8" spacer between the transmission and the bell housing using the same bolt pattern that is on the transmission.

It's for the longer input shaft (5/8"longer) that comes on the TKO 600... not sure what that does for the TOB.... but we'll figure it out....

The TOB is the Mcleod unit ... new style... which has had good reports on it...

Also the Double plate clutch is good for the street or track.... from experience ...you get more clamping power and less pedal pressure... you just have to not slip it allot... they like to be on or off, we ran triple plate clutches for years.

And Joe was a great person on the phone and seems to have good experience to understand any issues that might come up at a later date.... I'm sure he has some sort of warranty...

Thanks for the info and I'm in, and, will send you an email asap.

Morris
Old 03-22-2004, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL - TK0600, Electromotive EFI, Keith Craft 408W "standard crate", ~575hp
Send a message via MSN to Texas-Saluki Send a message via Skype™ to Texas-Saluki
Not Ranked     
Cool sounds good...need help

James & All,

Sounds like a good deal that I would not want to pass up.

I am still working out the details on my engine and would like to ask the group for guidance. I am planning to have a 351W with about 400 to 450 hp... so what "accessories" would I need to match the two up.

with that... james sign me up.

Thanks
http://www.thenolands.com

www.txcobraclub.com
Old 03-23-2004, 08:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 427 C/O w/ Dual Quads
Not Ranked     

Morris,
Pls add me to your list
Mike
Old 03-23-2004, 09:15 PM
Subsistance du serpent
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hello from St Cloud, MN

My day has been a bit hectic and I am still getting everything together. I received a few more emails tonight.

I will spend time this evening preparing the recap and I will post it here sometime tomorrow (if I can't finish it tonight). Thanks for your patience.

Old 03-24-2004, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Several
Not Ranked     

Morris, please also add my name to the list. Let me know if there are any additional variables I should consider?

Thanks for your yeoman's project.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
George Washington
Old 03-24-2004, 06:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

BTW

James Baldwin is the man..... not me.... I just verified the products and how they were going to work on FE shelby Motors.... and big ones at that....

Please let James know .... he's the man in charge.... I believe he posted his e-mail address if you need to contact him....

Morris
Old 03-24-2004, 08:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Great price!! Where are you guys sourcing these?
Old 03-24-2004, 12:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Have you guys contacted David Kee to see what kind of prices he can deliver on Tremacs? He WDs with McLeod and offers Tremacs. Might be another option for yor guys to look at. Good luck.

Last edited by Cal Metal; 03-24-2004 at 12:20 PM..
Old 03-24-2004, 02:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Lew,

The TKO600 1st-4th, has very similar ratio's to the wr toploader, although the toploader has more evenly spaced gear spreads. With a BB cobra, you don't need a low 1st gear, so in my car, with a 3.08 rear and wr toploader 2.78 1st, I can do about 60-62mph in 1st, and starting out from a dead stop is fine, neither geared too high or low. Fourth gear is fine with the 3.08 rear except that my cam is a little radical and I need to be going about 70mph for the engine to completely smooth out in the upper 2000rpms. With the 3.08 rear, I don't think you need an overdrive as offered in the TKO, but if you decided to get the TKO600, definitely get the 0.82 5th. I think either the new TKO600 or a wide ratio toploader would be fine, using a 3.08 or similar rear ratio.

I think if tremec made a TKO600 with 1st - 4th ratio's similar to a cr toploader or a Muncie M21/22, and then had a 0.82 fifth, that would be perfect. You can always opt for a G-force or Jerico and get exactly what yuo want.

As far as modifying a Kirkham or CSX4000, as the main case is longer in the 5/6 speeds such as the tremec/richmond/etc, the top of the cross member behind the bellhousing needs to be notched to accomidate it because the longer transmission main case will interfere where as the toploader main case ends before the crossmember, and the tailhousing clears the crossmember.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."

Last edited by Anthony; 03-24-2004 at 02:30 PM..
Old 03-25-2004, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Anthony,

Why is it that no one recommends the TKO-600 with a .64 overdrive gear? I was thinking that would allow me to use a higher rear gear (3.50 to 3.89) and make the car very quick around town while preserving the lower rpms on the highway.

Most everyone seems to like the .82 overdrive gear.

By the way, I live near Houston and do most of my driving around the Clear Lake area, which means roads in the 35-50 mph range. The overdrive gear would be nice for going across the city or to other cities on the Interstate. I wouldn't think the overdrive gear would do anything for me in everyday driving.

Thoughts?