Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2006, 08:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Keith Craft Motor
Not Ranked     
Default If not a Cobra....what car?

I was wondering if you did not get a Cobra, what car would be your "hot rod" weekend driver? Old school? Import? Street Rod?

I think I would like an old Mercury, But interested in some of the older sedans.

Todd
Old 06-05-2006, 09:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cutting Edge, Boss 429
Not Ranked     

Todd,
My next choice is definately an SPF Daytona Coupe. No doubt.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Nuttin'
Not Ranked     

Well if I still had my '69 GT350 in restoration status, I'd be looking seriously at a 1970 Roadrunner with a 440 six pac or maybe a 426 Hemi! Ooooh HEMIIIII!
Old 06-05-2006, 10:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR from Levy Racing 302 FI w/Edelbrock Performer heads
Not Ranked     

GT40 Without a doubt.

Vietnam Vets may be eligible for medical care and disability compensation. Contact the VA if you have prostate cancer or type 2 diabetes. Finally got around to going to the VA.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:20 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

I also have a 1970 Olds 442 (original owner), but I'd also like a street rod. Need at least one of each toy. Also, maybe a hot boat for scaring the fish
Old 06-05-2006, 10:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

34 3 window coupe

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/
Old 06-05-2006, 11:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I choose the Cobra because of excellent HANDLING as well as great performance, WITH an eye toward attainable price. Coupes and GT-40's are not within my budget, other wise, they would work well!

So my criteria would be, ALL cars considered:
1. Excellent handling.
2 GREAT performance.
3 Reasonable price (boy, theres a loaded one). OK, around $35K, $40 max! Thats a reasonable competitive price of a decent replica Cobra.

Dodge Viper, maybe one with a "Salvage Title" would be possible within budget. Lotus 7,or replica there of, comes to mind, in fact I've seriously considered one! Vette, any year? Maybe, but it's kind of 'ordinary'. Ferrari 308, the Quatra valve later model version? Cool, like Magnum PI drove! Nah to expensive to maintain, not practical enough. Jaguar XKE, the V-12 with 4 speed (NO, not that 2+2 version, yuck). BUT, does the XKE really cut it in the 'great' handling category? Tough call...

Old school thoughts;
Road Runners, Mustangs, GTO's, Barracuda, AMX, come to mind. Possibly an Avanti? OH wait, Studebaker HAWK, those were cool! '56 T-Bird, jacked up in the rear, modern small block, American racing mags, wild paint job. Those are ALWAYS so 'stock' it would be cool to 'break the mold'. Could you do one within budget? Early RAMBLER, modern V8, customized, different! Tough to get them 'old school' rides to 'handle' though, no, for me, GREAT handling is a must.

Always did love the English cars, I've had several. MGC, with the 6 cylinder might be nice, never had one. Triumphs? What years, models? I don't know, they were all 'down on power' for what I want now.

I know, an Austin Healey 3000 with the BIG 6!!! Uh, I sold that one, been there done that, didn't have enough power. Hey, maybe a replica Healey with a V8? But then, why I don't I just keep my Cobra if I'm gonna do that?

Hmmm, looks like Lotus 7 floats to the top...

34 3 window is a GREAT call. You never see one set up to really 'handle well', but I bet it COULD be done. A Road Racing '34 3 window, with a small block FORD (not another 350 Chev V8 PLEASE)! Lowered, fat tires front and rear. Would that work, or would it be 'to weird' set up that way?

Last edited by Excaliber; 06-05-2006 at 11:50 PM..
Old 06-06-2006, 12:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

I remember seeing an AWD 32 High boy roadster in a magazine a while back. It had double wish bone suspsion all round, wide low profile tyres and late Corvette power. It looked like an regular high tech 32 rod till you notice the drive shafts in the front. I reckon it would handle better than a regular beam axle billy cart 32 ford rod.

I reckon a DeTomaso Pantera would be cool. I sat in one as a kid and thought it was the best thing on 4 wheels. A few years back I had a ride in a Group 5 Pantera and that was impressive. Nice Italian super car without the expensive to maintain drive train. Probably a rarer care to see on the road than a GT40 rep these days too.

Cheers

Old 06-06-2006, 04:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Aussie Mike,

Gary G. from Cams has a De Tomaso Pantera and is just around the corner from my Geelong apartment.

When your down next we'll go and visit him. Real hot 351 and looks brand new..

Mmmm.. back to the 'Thread' topic...

After selling my '66 Mustang Coupe I'd like a '66 fast back. Saw a couple of cheap ones at the Stadium in Phoenix Az. Dammn procastinated and missed a good deal there..
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026

Last edited by BMK; 06-06-2006 at 04:33 AM..
Old 06-06-2006, 05:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics, 351C/T-5 trans. Guardsman Blue
Not Ranked     

Deuce Coupe just like Milner's. Almost bought one before I got my Cobra.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #867 gone....
Not Ranked     

'69 Mach I (best looking Mustang IMHO), Viper or '67-'69 Camaro convertible tops my list in the go fast category. Hemi Cuda close runner up.
The new Jag XK's are beautiful too. They have the unique trait of being just as sexy as a hardtop as a convertible. Makes the decision tougher. Since the wife will be driving it, she can decide. (as soon as those 6 lotto balls line up...)
My handle comes from the 1970 Olds 442 convertible I had during college. 455 cid roadster during college, perfect car for the time.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lots fo different cars that change all of the time
Not Ranked     
Default hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Do I really want to answer this one

Jay

Run & Gun participant 1998-2005
Old 06-06-2006, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

I had a 59' Cad De Ville before I decided I wanted a Cobra. Would probalby still have it if I didn't have to have the Cobra
Old 06-06-2006, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

I'd have to have something that (somewhat) replaces the feel of the Cobra, so in my price range, I'd have to go with a couple of other two-seater British sports cars with Ford powerplants: either a Sunbeam Tiger or a TVR Griffith.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Lister-Corvette. I've watched them at the Monterey Historic Auto Races, and they are awesome (awesome in an amazing way, as opposed to awesome in a Southern Californian, feux-Aussie, surfer-dude kind-of-way).

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 06-06-2006, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, Boss 351
Not Ranked     

GT40 !!!!!!!!
Old 06-06-2006, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA,302 Crate,Holley 600cfm
Not Ranked     

Always liked the Lotus Elans and 26-R's Saw a few race at Monterey in 90 and you could have thrown a blanket over them as they traded spots dicing around the track. Best racing there.

The new Elises are cool too. but too pricy for what you get

Scott

HANDLE WITH EXTREME CARE: This product contains minute electrically charged particles moving at velocities in excess of five hundred million miles per hour
Old 06-06-2006, 10:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter #28; 396 Cleveland stroker; more than 495 HP; TKO 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Angry

If performance is high on your criteria, then there are several that are mindboggling.
Noble, GTR or Ultima are modern race cars that are adapted to be street legal. They are much faster than any Cobra, with modern chassis and tires that allow for incredible handling. they have tops which make for modern aero, safety and even AC if you have that itch. The new Ultima recently did a 0-100-0 in 9 secs; which is faster than even any mega-supercar and unfortunity is about 50% faster than my Cobra!
gn
Old 06-06-2006, 10:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Premier Motor Sports, Genesis 427 so, top loader, 8.8 IRS
Not Ranked     

Lotus Elise - Now if someone could just shoe horn in a Ford power plant...
Old 06-06-2006, 11:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Lone Star Classics LS427, 428 CJ engine stroked to 464, 580hp/590tq at flywheel
Not Ranked     

Have the Cobra and 69 Camaro for my radical rides, so I have been looking for a 55 Chev Bel Air for a while. Nice motor, COLD AIR - Black over silver. Like to find one with good body and interior (since I am not good at paint and upolstery) and then do the drive line and everything else myself.

Lots of others I want, but this will be my next.

B