No more gas problems.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to mj_duell
Not Ranked     

Good video. I have spoken about this before:

0-60 in 4 seconds. Say goodbye to the good 'ol days...

Hydrogen is coming, fast. My wife’s deliverable schedule has been greatly shortened and the technology is real and working. The major set back is infrastructure. We need people to vote and call their congressmen to get things moving. Just a suggestion, but buy fuel cell and hydrogen company stocks, I have been doing that for the past few years. Think about the possibilities of no more foreign oil and an almost limitless supply of fuel.

--Mike / Turn Ten Racing, Inc.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M 427 Top Oiler stroked to 482 by KC, Stage 2 heads, a Quikfuel and Voila, 640 hp
Not Ranked     

Right now, it takes more energy to produce the H2 than the H2 yields. Burning it or using a fuel cell to make electricity doesn't change the equation. It's clean but it ain't free. Unless you produce it with wind, tidal or solar power we are no farther ahead............

Tim

Douglas Adams - Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy
Old 08-31-2006, 11:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55312
Right now, it takes more energy to produce the H2 than the H2 yields. Burning it or using a fuel cell to make electricity doesn't change the equation. It's clean but it ain't free. Unless you produce it with wind, tidal or solar power we are no farther ahead............

Tim
This is not entirely true and is one of the biggest stumbling blocks for the technology. Hydrogen is the most abundant gas in nature and has many sources. Burning hydrocarbons such as natural gas or coal to produce hydrogen is only one source and yes it is costly. Hydrogen is also a byproduct of some manufacturing processes in certain industries today and could be harnessed as fuel instead of waste. Solar energy and Nuclear energy can also be used to produce the gas. There are also many other viable sources. Basically, no country that had a hydrogen infrastructer for fuel cell cars would need to import hydrogen, especially the U.S. Gm is placing billions of dollars into the program because it is a viable fuel. Only the oil companies and companies who have dollars invested into hydrid technologies say that hydrogen will not work. Something to keep in mind is that when Totota and GM started serious fuel cell programs, Shell oil started Shell Hydrogen and began buying up as many hydrogen producing comapnies as possible. Just my .02, I have learned not to trust everything I read in the media about this subject because of a direct connection to the industry.

--Mike
Old 08-31-2006, 12:46 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

I want one. The Atlantic ocean is about 400 ft from my garage.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:46 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     
Default GM Car that runs on sea water

Didn't GM and other makes try this last year at this time in New Orleans ?
Old 09-01-2006, 10:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

Listen up! Nothing is as easy as it sounds. Where is the electric car they promised us 20 year ago? It's still in our future.

The problem is that company presidents and politicians have no training in science. You don't just separate the hydrogen and oxygen in water with tire irons. It take lots and lots of electricity. What you end up with is a very expensive and volatile fuel. Even if it could be made safe it won't anytime soon be made affordable. It won't have the energy of gasoline on a gallon per gallon basis either. It could be that every BTU of energy in hydrogen could require 3 BTUs of some other energy source to produce.

Can I sell you some land in Florida, perhaps a corner lot?

Bob
Old 09-01-2006, 11:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

Hydrogen is the most abundant gas in nature

Hydrogen is the most common element, but it doesn't exist in a ready gas form. It has to be split from oxygen. To expound on what Bob said I read recently read that it would take the total output of all the nuke plans we currently use to make enough hydrogen to replace *just* the petroleum we use in vehicles. And that's only a percentage of the total used in industry.

Not tossing water on hydrogen (huh-huh ), I would love for cars to be putting out water vapor instead of hydrocarbons, just pointing out that it isn't a magic bullet.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40P-2265/393W, KMP318 (PROJECT!!!!!)/CSX478
Not Ranked     
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maricopa
Hydrogen is the most abundant gas in nature

In some places, Methane is the most common gas.

"Dishwasher? I thought that was for cleaning parts!?"
Old 09-01-2006, 01:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Not Ranked     

Very true about the methane (especially after lunch). Not so true that I was the one that said hydrogen was the most common.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

O.K. this will be my last post on the subject seeing you only believe what the media tells you and not someone who has a direct connection to the scientist, documents and companies. There will be more than enough hydrogen production to replace the current oil usage. Period. There is more than one source of hydrogen and it is the most abudant "element" in nature if it makes you feel better. Sorry for the mistake. It is still available from multiple sources. I'm sure that the scientist at GM, one of whom I am married too and that has a PHD from Cornell in the subject, has worked for NASA and the Naval Undersea Warfare department before GM, is a little more qualified to answer. I have been in the cars and I have seen the real plans. Ask the Shell Corporation why its pouring millions into Shell Hydrogen. Time to start questioning the media and the government about few things including Fuel Cells don't you think.

Thanks,

--Mike

Last edited by mj_duell; 09-01-2006 at 04:48 PM..
Old 09-01-2006, 05:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

Hey Mike:
Unless you're including the sun and all the other stars I would have to disagree with you on the availability of hydrogen, at least the kind that is ready to go. The hydrogen in the oceans and lakes is already combined with oxygen so it's of little use. We're already burning all the hydrogen combined with carbon in oil, coal and natural gas, So where exactly is all this free hydrogen?

Bob
Old 09-01-2006, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike, there's no reason to end the discussion. If we're wrong, or being duped/misled/etc. please let us know (although I can't imagine why the media wouldn't want us to know any of this stuff not to mention Al Gore). I'd be interested in links to these scientists, documents and companies, I have a great interest in hydrogen and other alternative fuels. My electricity bill is around $450 a month in the summer, I'd LOVE to have a fuel cell behind the house.

Also I wasn't trying to bust your chops on the hydrogen gas vs. element thing, I was trying to be clear and feel it's an important distinction.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj_duell
Ask the Shell Corporation why its pouring millions into Shell Hydrogen.
Because they got us by the balls for the supply of oil, no matter the cost to get it to us, and they plan to do the same with hydrogen.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."