Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2006, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yul,
That's the area Alan was mentioning the other night.

All,
If we stick with Marriott for this year, (which is what it looks like may need to happen), then can I suggest that we use 35N to 620 and out from there? Part of the problem with MOPAC is that it's really confusing. We get a lot of lost folks getting from the hotel just doing that section. At least with a road like 620, you can say "stay on 620 for 15 miles" and even if stop lights break up the group it's easy enough to follow instructions.

Then again, we need to figure out a place for pictures and make sure the instructions include from the hotel to the picture location and then from the pictures onward. And post where pictures will be ahead of time so if we have latecomers, they can just head right to the pictures. Basically I don't want to waste 20 minutes trying to call people's rooms because our location has shifted.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane #1037, 351C, TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Ok Gang

ALL,

I have held back for the last couple of days to compose some thoughts and not sound snobbish. Dee has mentioned many of the things we talked about the other night and I will rehash some of his points.

1. The Austin meet will be held in Austin for the 8th year in a row! NOT Marble Falls, Georgetown, you get the idea. Every year this gets mentioned and every year we come to the conclusion that Austin is the best place. We all have to deal with the traffic. Colleen made a good point and that we can head north to 620 and use that as the man start of the Cruise. But lets look at a few facts.

a. This event has drawn over 70 cobras and a few other cars from all over the Country. What Hotel can accomidate 70 cobras (ok A GT40 MATT )and 2 or 3 semi trailers. at least 3 to 4 RV's I'm not talking the little ones either and finally 15 - 20 Pick Ups pulling trailers? Plus people who come off the street just to look and get drool. Plus still be open to business for other travelers. And for my kids an indoor pool

b. If we split up and use say three separate hotels where is the comradory (SP)? So now I have to try and find people and get everyone to gether. Logistical nightmare for pictures or just getting together. Plus not every member is going to get a hotel room next to there buddies. We have people show up on Thursday, Friday and SAturday. First come first serve with parking. ALso after partying with my friends at one hotel now I need to drive to another hotel and partake in more adult beverages.
I don't know about the rest of you but one of the best parts of last years event was the Houston gang's tailgate on Saturday night. I think splitting everyone up will hurt this event.

c. SECURITY - 3 hotels 3 different problems. This adds up to $$$$ and somebody holding the funds. I thought we tried to avoid having this problem?

d. Austin folks doing all the work! Thanks Colleen for looking after us and all, but if we didn't like you guys we would be working this hard to keep it in our city Seriously we enjoy putting this together. I know Dee was a little upset, becasue he and Jaque spent hours looking for a suitable place. I With that being said I think once Hwy 45 and 30 are finished things will open up a for travel. One of the problems with a March meet is the Spring Break Traffice and also the resorts have heavy booking during those time frames.

2. I guess what I'm getting at is the logistics of putting together an event this size. This event is very different than a monthly meeting where you are lucky to get 20 cars.( I know Houston I hear you ) We in Austin have been looking at the what ifs every year. We have nearly out grown the Marriott and if get more cars next year we could very well out grow the Marriott Parking lot. But let us figure this out and you all just come down and enjoy. I know Dee is calling the Lost Pines Resort, but 250 a night. Realistically who is going to pay that much for a room?

3. You know I love all you guys and I can't wait to see and shoot the bull with all of you. I just can't wait to retire in 3 years and have more weekends available to visit everyone in Dallas, Corpus and Houston.

4. We will keep looking and keeping planning for March 2007. So keep the cards and letters coming.

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."
Old 10-12-2006, 02:21 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

So,y'all are fairly sure it will be in Austin again this year ?
Old 10-12-2006, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33849 (currently 460)
Not Ranked     

Since the club is about the people, why don't we put it to a vote like we did with the date change.

Quite honestly I don't care when or where it is. I have a good time anyway. However, the club has never been a place where one or two people make unilateral decisions. I've heard from many people that sometimes it seems we do things because that's how it's always been done regardless of what the people want. I think we showed that wasn't the case when we held a vote and let the people decide to move the date.

There are lots of new members as well as the old timers like me (am I actually old enough to be an old timer? ) and everyone has ideas on how to make the event better. My suggestion is to let them be heard.

Having said that, I like Austin, I like the Marriott (i also like the Feb date but don't tell anyone...ok?) but I'm just one guy in the club.

Like I said eariler, I really don't care where or when it is, if it's possible for me to get there, I'm going to be there. Have it in Dallas, Waco, Beaumont, Houston, doesn't really matter as long as I get to hang out with you guys and have some fun.

Just the 2 cents from a former prez that's hear all this stuff before.

Last edited by Dennis Mosley; 10-12-2006 at 02:55 PM..
Old 10-12-2006, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Austin 07

One other thing that popped in mind while I was stuck in Austin traffic. I thought a few years ago. The past Presidents kind of got together and basically said the big event should be held in Austin. I know I'm getting along i years so somebody is going to have to set me straight.

Like Dennis I feel like I'm old timer, but am I really that old?

Gregg H

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."
Old 10-12-2006, 03:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CMC, 351 Cleveland, Dual Quads, C6
Not Ranked     

I started this thread at the request of several others. Not just Houston members. I thought it was a pretty good idea to LOOK at other possibilities. I really felt it was probably too late this year, but who knows, there just might be a perfect place for our meet. I also thought that the Austin members would welcome a little help. I tried my damnest to word everything as not to piss someone off or hurt anyone's feelings. I was pretty darn sure I would regret the whole thing before the week was out. Sure enough, the egos and the attitudes are starting to show up.
Sorry, Dennis, but why vote? We all know what happened last time
Scruit, I've already had enough.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CMC, 351 Cleveland, Dual Quads, C6
Not Ranked     

Oh, BTW, which weekend?
Old 10-12-2006, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 323 392
Not Ranked     

Gregg,
have you called Barton Creek Resort??...they built a 4 story parking structure 2 yrs ago...
Old 10-12-2006, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Wink Remember Attitude is EVERYTHING

DAVID,

I don't think anybody is pissed at you or any one else for that matter. I think we in Austin get the feeling that everyone wants to our jobs and that we are tired of doing the meet. Yes some of us have been heavly involved, but I can bet you nobody in our group wants to change the location.(City not Hotel) Or the planning. The Annual meet has been in Austin because of the central location. So its up our band of Merry Men and Great Women to keep you guys happy and coming back for more.

So please fire away at all the ideas you can, we try to please everyone.
We have always been up for ideas to improve on things. This topic is always brought up during our little gatherings in here in Austin. I only heard of 1 complaint last year. I thought that was pretty good. And it wasn't even about the traffic or the hotel situation.

Stirring the pot is a good thing. We just need to keep the eye on the prize. Which is enjoying the people in our little gang of crazies.

Gregg H

Old 10-12-2006, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile No But we can!

The only problem with a parking gargae is all that extra weight. I might have to go on a diet. Seriously we can give them a shout. It's been awhile since I have been by there. Need to swing by there in the next week or two. I'll see if Dee and Jaque can swing buy also.

Thanks

Gregg H

Old 10-12-2006, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33849 (currently 460)
Not Ranked     

Greg,

you are correct. A couple of years ago the present and past presidents did make that call. However we don't own the club. If enough people want to change something for the better so be it. Just for the record Most of the past prez didn't feel a need to change the date but the majority of the club did so now instead of Feb we play in March.

As for the complaints, people tend not to complain when they are having a good time. But once the dust settles and they start to think, that's when you start to hear the "suggestions". Like David, I have hear the suggestions from people in cities other than H-town. Usually followed by "but the powers that be won't let anything change". I don't want people to feel like they have no say in THEIR club. I think we make the changes the people want when we can and sometimes time does not permit so we do it as soon as we can. I know we have lost some members due to bickering and the "this is how we have done it and this is how it will be" feeling some have presented. Think about the very active members from the past that we don't see or hear from anymore. Many of them still have their cars but didn't like that tone. I have been fortunate enought to maintain great friendships with alot of those people and sure wish they would come back around.

The club belongs to all of you guys, if you have an idea, I'm sure Greg and the guys want to hear it. Don't let the healthy conversation degrade into a pissing match. That's not what this is about. Everyone wants to make this the best event it can be. I know whatever is decided will end up being a great event.

OK, that's probably all I'm going to say on the matter...I said probably
Old 10-12-2006, 07:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

FWIW - I was pretty impressed that the thread was going so well. I hope it can continue on with lively but respectful discussion.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 66 427W Roadster
Not Ranked     

March 22-25, 2007 The Marriott Round Rock
If I had my druthers I would hope we could all meet in Maui, but since this is the Texas Cobra Club, it's probably best to meet in the capital of Texas. David, I was just kidding about the construction, I spend all weekend driving around the orange cones. For the out of towners, the problem with Austin is that it is weird. Once you figure out there are 3 or 4 roads that will get you to the west side, it's ok. It's like going on a business trip to a strange town, renting a car. By the time you figure out the roads it's time to go home. We can put together some simple driving maps and the comfort zone will improve vastly. I dont think the construction has anything to do with it. We can argue about the Marriott in the Marriott parking lot slugging down that gatoraid and eating gumbo, while the ladies crawl back to their rooms. I suggest we do Friday breakfast at Bluebonnet Cafe in Marble Falls. That has to be the best breakfast in Texas (non-alcoholic). You can take the white knuckle drive over on 1431 and come back a more civil route from the south end. I just love it when this group gets their wedgie, it brings the club to life.
We haven't had this much fun since Kristen's thong.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC - #463 - 427 SOHC
Not Ranked     
Default Update Info.

All,

I called the Lost Pines Resort yesterday............after talking with 4 people and explaining our plans and needs, I was told that someone would call me with the info that I was requesting. I did get a call from this person, but all she wanted was the same info I had previously given to the 4 other people and she stated that someone else would call me back soon. No one has called back yet!!!

I also did some internet work searching for other venues in/around the lake areas here in Austin..............to include Barton Creek Inn/Resort......Lakeway Inn Conference Center. The overriding constant with these places, as well as the Lost Pines Resort seems to be in the area of the price of the rooms. All these places have room rates over $ 200 to $ 350 per night. I don't envision them giving us any great discount that will make the rooms comparable to the Marriott.

I will post any more information that I get from these other venues, if and when they return my phone calls.

Dee Walters
Old 10-13-2006, 06:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dee,
Thank you for checking those. It's interesting that they are so much higher than the place on Lake Conroe.

Tommy,
If you put together an affordable event in Maui where we can all drive our cars around the island, I'm sure you could get a few people. I just don't know if affordable is a word you can use in conjunction with Hawaii.

Colleen
Old 10-13-2006, 08:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR1358 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Default Lake Conroe

Del Laggo's daily rate should have been half of what they charged us being that the rooms were all run down. The only upside was it was a perfect facility to hold the Houston meet. I guess you can't have everything.

Same goes for the Marriot in Round Rock. Great rooms and parking facilities but the traffic and road construction sucks. I guess you can't have everything either.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ed,
I bet if Del Lago upgraded their rooms, we'd be lucky to pay $90/night. Looks like that was a bargain compared to some of the other "resort" places.

Colleen
Old 10-13-2006, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR1358 (Sold)
Not Ranked     

Colleen, Compairing room rates:

Marriott: $109.00 + two breakfasts ($20 value)/day

Del Laggo: $90.00/day

Now compare the rooms.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Custom Built Classic Motor Carriage T 5 Z tranny still in the making ..
Not Ranked     

Cammer
I think Next year let these guys find the perfect place . They should know the criteria by now .It would so much easier on you and the others that are involved in this great event ....

Their are nice roads to Cruz in the Elgin area and we could rent out the banquet room at the hotel room for some live music ,Food ,and hold our annual meeting of the minds other than the parking lot. there are so many things we can do RATHER than running all over the place PRESSED FOR TIME .

I really don't think its the place or the rought I THINK COBRA PEOPLE WANT TO HAVE SOMETHING ELSE TO DO : DANCING ,WASHERS , ANY THING LIKE THAT ... Some one had a starting tree that was A GREAT IDEA .
Also some of the wife's like to get together and go Shopping ect .
Kids like to swim and ect.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #770, Stroked 351W (393 cubes) w/ Tremec TKO-600, 3.27 Torsen locker, 'Hi-Tech' Blue w/ White Stripes, Wilwoods, Bilstein coil overs...and a big ear-to-ear grin!
Not Ranked     

Gents and Ladies...if I may...

From an outsider - at least one not from Texas - may I add something...?

I've organized and run several events while I was active in Porsche Club. Believe me...we're picky about our Cobras, true dat, but NO ONE is more pickier than Porsche owners. The Number One issue most event attendees complain about is parking lots and security issues. The Marriott simply has a huge parking lot that works well. Couple that with our own onsite security, and it's the perfect place for this event. I'm not crazy about the construction, either, but careful attention to mapping out how to get to/from the Marriott can address this issue in a fairly simple manner.

If it's true this should be the last year for all this construction, then I think one year of inconvience is worth the wait...in my opinion, anyway. I plan on being there in 2007...but with a Margarita machine all ready to go when I arrive. All I need is electricity, which I can supply with my Honda generator, and some water for the mix...easy enough to obtain.

I'm looking forward to another tailgate party...last year's was outstanding...!

But...one way or the other...please post the dates and location as soon as you can. It's not even December yet, and I'm already looking forward to another crazee weekend with you deviates...!

Oh....and we GOT to go back to the Oasis again...! Loved their margaritas, food, and the view was spectacular...!
WARNING: The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent those of the management, editors, or owners. We welcome differing opinions, and recognize our responsibility to offer differing views. May cause drowsiness, restlessness, or irritability. Do not operate heavy machinery while using this product. Void in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, or where prohibited, licensed, or regulated by law. We reserve the right to limit quantities. Offer good while supplies last. No substitutions allowed. Please observe posted speed limits. Professional driver on closed course. Do not try this at home. Please wear your seatbelt at all times. Close cover before striking. Use at own risk. Please dispose of properly. Drink responsibly. Prolonged exposure to vapors has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory animals. Do not use this product of you are pregnant, or plan on becoming pregnant. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling fumes can be dangerous. Always wear safety glasses. In case of eye contact, flush with water and seek immediate medical attention. For occasional use only as directed. Avoid prolonged skin contact. Discontinue use if rash develops. If symptoms persist for more than three days, seek professional medical attention. Hearing protection required beyond this point. Danger: Hot surfaces. Use as directed. Proceed at own risk. Caution: Filling may be hot. Please don't litter. Actual results may vary. It is a violation of Federal Law to use this product in a manner other than as intended. Do not use this product if you have an enlarged prostate, or have difficulty urinating.