17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 10-10-2006, 05:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CMC, 351 Cleveland, Dual Quads, C6
Not Ranked     
Default TCC Spring Meet Stuff

I think this would be a good time to open a discussion about our annual TCC Spring meet. In my opinion, we should look for another location to hold our event. Still near the Austin/Hill Country area, but farther away from the heavy traffic. Things seem to get worse every year. Is there anything near Georgetown? Or ??? I don't know a whole lot about the area, but surely something is available with ample trailer parking and other needed facilities. Any locals have any ideas? How about some input from others?
Old 10-10-2006, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LSC427, 351W, TKO500, Currie 9", 400HP
Not Ranked     

Well I live in Round Rock and yes there are plenty of good reas to go to. I was the last one in Round Rock at the Marriott with some friends of mine and it made me decide to go out and get a Cobra kit from LSC. I am hoping to have it at least drivable by then. The reason for the bad traffic last year was the construction of SH45 but it is supposed be open on Nov 1. It should not be as bad but...... I would say we meet somewhere on Capital of Texas HWY or on 620 near the lake. JMO
Old 10-10-2006, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 514 ci
Not Ranked     

Why not something more rural like Fredericksburg? I have no idea how many rooms are available there or even how many we need. Nice little town. Non-car things to do for the non-car partners. And not that much further for most and potentially closer for others. I have been at the Austin event for the last couple of years and I have to tell you that I loved the event and the people BUT found the traffic unbearable. After you spend 30 - 45 minutes getting out of town, it was awesome but that is a lot of driving to do in a line of 20+ Cobras through lights, stop signs and heavy traffic. After two Austin events and two Conroe events I have to say the Conroe events win hands down and ONLY due to the stress free fun factor of good parking and accessible roads. I am not suggesting we take this meet to Conroe....just stating that a similar type place would add significant fun to the event.

I also have organized many big events for business purposes and have a sense of how much work goes into it. I take my hat off to those who have planned the Austin events in the past. They really were well done and the organizers were amazing. What a feat? My only negative is the urban traffic issue and that is no one's fault.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

I've been to all of the events over the years and I have to admitt I also think it is time to move to a new location out in the Hill country or by the lake if we can find a hotel and parking lot to handle all the cars, trailers and people. I know the Austin group has looked out in the past, but with all the expansion going on down there maybe something new is available?
Old 10-10-2006, 08:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 66 427W Roadster
Not Ranked     

David,
the hill country is hard to beat for scenery, but i agree with you the construction in round rock and jollyville sucks right now. Fredericksburg, is that where they have the German food? Mesquite would give the Austin folks a chance to blow out their side pipes. Waco might have a place and not make the drive for the Houston group unbearable. The hotel in Round Rock is nice but the construction is terrible. I saw a BBQ place in Kountz, maybe 120 of us could show up there with pup tents, just kidding. I agree with you, we need to discuss it now. Was there a hotel in Marble Falls?
Old 10-10-2006, 09:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

David,

I like the idea of moving it but hate to create more work for the folks in Austin. Do you think we might get a committee together that is made up of anyone from any of the local clubs that wants to help? Of course, I'd be willing to do what I can. I mean I've got that nametag thing down to a science now. And I'd never want to take the Austin groups packet-stuffing-party away from them (they really seem to enjoy that).

I'm sure I could easily talk Alan into doing an exploratory cruise if needed. He's deer hunted the Hill Country for so long that every time we come back from the Spring Meet, he thinks of more options for us.

Just a thought,
Colleen
Old 10-10-2006, 09:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Fair Warning

Potential Troublemakers (from all sides),

Let's not start ****. If there is interest in tweaking the event, it'll get run over by piss fights and misunderstandings. I'd hate to have to spank you.

There is no Houston vs Dallas rivalry, so take each posters comment as a comment from that person only, not as some blanket comment from a group.

Remember it's not about the cars, it's about the PEOPLE.

Play nice!
Miss Texas Cobra Club 2005
Old 10-10-2006, 10:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR1358 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Default Just a suggestion

Kathy and I found a new hotel coming home from Lake Conroe. It's located between Bastrop and Austin. It's called the Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa. See attached web site:

http://lostpines.hyatt.com/hyatt/hot...pMapDirections

This place is beautiful and has ample parking to meet the club's needs. The only catch is the room rates ($230 - $299/night).

This is only a suggestion so don't kill the messenger.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs 66 Snake
I'd hate to have to spank you.

Miss Texas Cobra Club 2005
I want to investigate this "spanking" deal a litle closer!

I'd be glad to be part of the committee.

Last edited by kountzecobra; 10-11-2006 at 04:07 AM..
Old 10-11-2006, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: superformance #1590
Not Ranked     
Default Will help if needed

There are lots of FM and Ranch roads here in the Hill country with little or no traffic,(Kerrville/Fredricksburg area). Lots of car clubs have meets in the area, Austin -Healey, VW, Mini Coopers and other classic cars clubs, Just to name as few. Fredricksburg has several new hotels. If I can help get info for anyone let me know. thanks Richard Rees
Old 10-11-2006, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane #1037, 351C, TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Wink Here we go

David,

You starting trouble so soon.

We have tried to come up with a better place, but it really boils down to the Marriot really opening up the doors for us. The construction around the area should be over next year so things SHOULD improve.

But it’s never a bad idea to always find better ways to make a great event even better. Putting 70 cobras in any City there is going to be some problems. Yes Austin traffic is bad, but the location of the hotel right off I-35 is a great spot.

Sorry I could not make it to Conroe. Work has been killing me lately.

Gregg H

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."
Old 10-11-2006, 05:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Greg, you know me, I would never do this just to start trouble. I just think there may be a better place out there. Somewhere away from the crowded streets and roads of Austin. Wouldn't it be cool if there was?
Old 10-11-2006, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 323 392
Not Ranked     
Default spring

marble falls maybe a good call...If u still want to consider austin, barton creek resort maybe the place..they have a parking structure for the trailers but you have to check with them to see if the structure will hold the trailers..off 360 on Bee Cave Road..nice rooms, spa, golf, etc for significant others..no real traffic..in the hill country...great roads (4 miles to highway 71)..
Old 10-11-2006, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR Car # 186 & Keith Craft Aluminum 427 Windsor
Not Ranked     

Although the traffic in Austin can be frustrating, moving the location to smaller towns can present bigger problems with lodging and dining. I grew up in Fredericksburg and still have family there and know the Hill Country quite well. While Fredericksburg and Marble Falls have ample hotels/motels and restaurants, you may be hard pressed to find room for the entire group to stay, accommodate trailers or dine together. It is a great area and there are some great drives to be had. Luckenbach is just one fun stop in the area on a beautiful spring afternoon - live music and cold beverages.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 66 427W Roadster
Not Ranked     

Can we have the TCC shirts say" I survived the construction in Austin 2007"
Keep Austin Weird
The Only place I know where you can get 5 different salsas and cold bottled beer for breakfast.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC - #463 - 427 SOHC
Not Ranked     
Default Spring Meet

All,

The persistent annual desire to move the Austin meet is getting OLD. Plans are already in the making for next years event.

The turnout in the past has made it necessary for us to find a larger venue to host this event...............we grew out of the space we had on 360 for the first few years.

Jacque and I spent several weekends driving, researching & talking to various sites in and around the Austin area before we happened on the Marriott. The people there have bent over backwards to provide us with a site to have our event...........they want us back every year!!! The Marriott has advantages that I can tell you won't be found anywhere else in or around the Austin area.........plenty of parking for trailers, support vehicles and the cars - as many rooms as we need - when we need them and a reasonable price......restaurants and activities in the area. Construction is always a hassle, but any large city (Houston, Dallas or San Antonio ) has construction and traffic problems most of the time. I can tell you from experience that there is no place in Marble Falls, San Marcos, Bastrop, Fredricksburg or Georgetown that can accommodate this large an event...........you find it - let me know.

In organizing this event we try to provide new activities every year - new cruise routes every year - but, as has been said many times 'it's not the cars or the place........it's the people' that make the time enjoyable.

The Houston club hosted a tailgate party last year that was incredible.....a great idea...............let's do it again!!!

Please make your suggestions for cruises or any other ways to improve the meet.............but, as far as the hotel is concerned there is no other place that meets or needs.

I will be talking with the resort at Lost Pines ( the site that Ed mentioned ) to see if they have any interest in providing us with a place to host our event.
Initially, their rooms rates are in the $ 250 range, which makes for some people a $ 750 bill just for a place to sleep..........how many are interested in something like that??? I'm not.........for sure!!!!

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox............hope to see each and everyone of you at the Spring meet................plans are in progress and evolving.
We will keep you updated as plans develop.

Dee Walters/Cammer
Old 10-12-2006, 07:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Cammer,
Thanks for your "insider" input. The hotel itself is fabulous and I don't think there have been any complaints about that. It's really the drive just to get to dinner, cruise, pictures, etc that has most people concerned I think. And the lack of "view" as well. Sitting in a parking lot for one or two nights is one thing, but we expanded this thing out to multiple days which is a lot of time to hang out on pavement.

Would y'all be OK with having David and a few others from around the state help out with the planning? I've been told in the past by a few "old-timers" that we don't want this thing to be too organized. But reality is that some organization and planning has to go into an event this large. And I have gotten a lot of requests from people who want more information ahead of time - what is there to do on Friday, where are pictures going to be (especially useful for those Austinites who start with the pictures on Sat), etc. So in order to not have y'all have to throw that into the large stack of "To Do" we can split that up some among the rest of us.

Colleen
Old 10-12-2006, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33849 (currently 460)
Not Ranked     

If the event were to move to a smaller town, would it be a big deal to use multiple smaller hotels and have a common meeting place?

If the event keeps growing we may be able to take over a small town like the harley guys do with sturgis. Then we can all wear jackets with our cubs on the back, have crazy parties and let the true lawlessness begin Oh wait we already started that.

Anyway, If we all want to say at the same hotel and have a big parking lot party, going to a smaller town may be a little tough for the reasons Cammer gave.

I think finding the hotel with trailer parking is the big sticking point. It's not very easy to find. I looked for one when I was pres and even contacted the Austin Chamber of Commerce and the Tourism Bureau with not much luck. Some small towns do have that kind of facility but I don't know the austin area so I don't have any suggestions. A place like the Del Lago resort on lake Conroe would be great. Who would have thought a small town like Conroe would have such a nice facility at such a reasonable price. There is bound to be something like that around one of the lakes in the hill country.

Anyone know of anything?
Old 10-12-2006, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33849 (currently 460)
Not Ranked     

someone here at work suggested checking the Lakeway inn and conference center.

Never been there so I don't know what it's like or what kind of parking or rates they might have.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #642 514SCJ, Custom Fuel Injection by Simple Digital Systems, David Key Toploader, 3.31's and 335's
Not Ranked     

I also agree with statements regarding Austin. If we were to go a little further west to Burnet (on 281 @ 29) we could run to Llano on 29back to Marble Falls on 71 and have the whole Lake Buchanan area, Inks Lake, ect. to play in. The Colorado River flows through this area to make the lakes and all sorts of other attractions. The F.M. roads in this area are the best in the state and once out of the triangle you can "drive it like you stole it" for those wanting a little more.