Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2007, 08:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA GT #2077, 331 SBF, Webers, Gurney Eagle heads
Not Ranked     
Default Sunday progress

Joe, we're real close .. if you'd have come by and helped we'd have made it! Seriously, I worked all day on the list in the above message, John Ross put in a good 6-7 hours with me. We killed the clutch slave bracket problem .. re-made the bracket and painted it, looks beautiful and points the actuator rod straight as an arrow. Bled the slave cylinder .. during all this process, John got two brake fluid showers and I got three. I wonder if brake fluid is good for the skin I know it's bad for paint

All that remains is one lower coolant hose, two wires from the MSD box, and headers and side pipes. Then we can crank it. I suppose I ought to put a seat in it, too I'm guessing Wed night. I might also replace the surge tank with a new one ERA is overnighting in. The one I have is too tall for the hood Won't be doing any driving to speak of till I get the MSO from ERA so I can register it. I spoke with Peter this am and it is supposed to ship today also.

I may put the key in the switch tonight and turn it and see what goes pop!

Sam
Old 09-24-2007, 09:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #42 BDR w/ a 408 KCM stroker
Not Ranked     

Tried to convince Jessica that I (we) needed to come help you, but no kitchen pass this weekend, she told me it was her weekend so tough, but she will be willing to come help in the future and learn how to get some grease under her nails. I think the temp had something to do with it, unsure though. But let me know about wednesday I have a kitchen pass all week and weekend but am planning on going to Atlanta Wed though.
2004 BDR #42 with a 408 Keith Craft Stroker, Crimson with Silver stripes
Old 09-24-2007, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Wicked
Not Ranked     

Sorry Sammy, I had to keep the mrs happy enough. I gotta keep her pleased so when the time comes to get mine, I won't have to sleep outside with our dog.

I might be able to be talked into another night this week though. Are you looking at Wed to do all that stuff or have it done before then?
Old 09-24-2007, 11:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Wed engine start tentative

Patrick, you drop her off here and I promise to return her a few hours later with grease under her fingernails

Joe, I'm back at my job during the days, so I'm working on the car evenings after about 7 for a couple hours. Tonight is electrical checks, distributor, lower coolant hose and thermostat. Maybe headers. Tues night is headers, sidepipes, maybe turn it over. Install a seat, get it off the jacks. Install the new surge tank that ERA is overnighting. Wed .. if no further snafus stop us, start it up and drive it a little way. So whatever works for you .. John Ross and I will probably be here.

Wed looks like the night for a start up, I'll post a confirmation here on Tues. So, any of you in area the who like to watch train wrecks or drink beer or both .. this Bud's for you! Approx time is 7 pm.

Sam
Old 09-24-2007, 11:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSammy
Patrick, you drop her off here and I promise to return her a few hours later with grease under her fingernails
Hey now, I'm the only one who will be geting her dirty, but nice try let us know the exact plans and I will keep in touch with you.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Stalled!

John came over and we got the last two wires terminated and he did an expert job installing the throttle linkage on the double pumper. Then we hooked up the battery and turned the switch .. nothing! The solenoid is hot, the main circuit breaker is hot, the ignition switch is cold. Fuse L1, which feeds the bat term on the switch is cold. So Tues will be electrical debug night instead of all that other stuff

Engine start date can be calculated by "dividing the number one by zero" .. engineering shorthand for "undefined." Grrrr!

Sam
Old 09-25-2007, 02:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Electrical is my strong suit. I usually can trace down the issue pretty quickly. I'll see what is going on tonight and let you know. I kinda dropped my multimeter in the water a while back, so it doesn't work to well, but I should be able to borrow one from work.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSammy
Engine start date can be calculated by "dividing the number one by zero" .. engineering shorthand for "undefined." Grrrr!
LOL, I missed that this morning when I was waking up. I guess that is a sign of an engineer when you find that funny.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Tue Progress

Big night! Joe and John both came over and we worked a total of about 4 hours. In just 20 min, former Navy electrical tech Joe had isolated the the major electrical outage to a high amperage connector pin behind the dash. Pushed the pin into the housing .. problem solved. Lights all checked out, horn honked, starter cranked

Installed the new shorty surge tank that Peter from ERA overnighted, and then went on to the headers. Very tough .. and it took three of us about a half hour to 'slip' the first sidepipe on. Four into four pipe mating, not flanges .. .. but we eventually got it done.

Tonight, second side pipe, distributor, lower radiator hose, coolant ... done! Thurs night, pre-start checks and start it up Fri, wash and detail. Sat, test drive!

Good time for me to re-iterate how much I appreciate all the folks who have come out and helped in the last week, with special thanks to John and Joe! I would be way far away from driving my new baby if it were not for all of you

Sam
Old 09-26-2007, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Not a problem, as I said, I enjoy doing this stuff. You make it sound like I solved the problem by laying my hands on the car. You had already troubleshot and isolated it down to the circuit and pointed out where the connectors were. There wasn't much for me to check to find the issue. It would have taken much longer if I had to start from scratch and find the connectors myself. I am glad that it was just the pin too. At first I was thinking that the connector was bad and not making contact.

I won't be able to make it tonight, but I may try for Thursday. No promises though. Just remember that you may need to loosen the header pipes more than they already are to slide the side pipes on. Soon you will be cruising .
Old 09-26-2007, 09:56 AM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     

alright, impressed Joe. A 'healer' of electrical problems with 'laying of hands'.
sounds like ya'll did great, Sam!!!
Can't believe how fast you are getting this done.

gonna be at the car show Sunday???

Joe.... we must meet the electrical wizard- coming to the carshow at Firewheel on Sunday? Several of us will be there.

Look forward to welcoming you to the club. (DFW)

Kristen
Old 09-26-2007, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I am sure I will make it for at least a little while. I live right up 78 in Lavon, so only about 15 miles away.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Sunday Show

Ummmm ... maybe! Wonder if they would mind if my car had bare aluminum interior?

Sam
Old 09-26-2007, 11:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LS427, Keith Craft 408, TKO-600, 370 Rear-End
Not Ranked     

OK!!! Back off of Joe Wicked I am putting him on retainer to wire my car so get in line. I plan to make him an offer he can’t refuse.

Bwana Gary
Old 09-26-2007, 12:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana Snake
OK!!! Back off of Joe Wicked I am putting him on retainer to wire my car so get in line. I plan to make him an offer he can’t refuse.

Bwana Gary
Hmmm maybe I will have a way to get mine sooner. I can "pimp" out myself.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #867 gone....
Not Ranked     

Good electrical help is hard to find.
I have some little knick-knacks I need help with too.
Gary, isn't your car off at paint? Adam can help me with my little things til yours gets back...
Old 09-26-2007, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LS427, Keith Craft 408, TKO-600, 370 Rear-End
Not Ranked     

Miles,

Off to paint, I wish, my rinky-dinky day job has me all screwed up. I had hoped to have it to paint at the end of next month but I just had three new mil spec jobs hit me on Monday; documentation, documentation, documentation, documentation, dot the I’s and cross the T’s. Going Mad / Mad / Mad but still shooting to make paint by November 1.

Gary

“Not a worry in the world a cold beer in my hand life is good today, life is good today”
Old 09-26-2007, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just left Sammy's place, both sidepipes installed, engine is primed, lowe radiator hose is almost complete, but the Distributor would not sit flush, we tried several tricks but no luck, I left but will probably return tomorrow
Old 09-29-2007, 12:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

So Sammy, were you able to get everything done this week?
Old 09-29-2007, 05:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default It's Alive !!!!

Friday, Patrick and John came over and we cranked it. Timing was way off from where I thought it was .. but John figgered out which way and ten minutes from when he arrived, we had engine start. Set the timing, ran it at 2000, 3000, 4000 and set the idle at 900. Engine sounds like an FE .. no surprise, right. We got all the tuning taken care of, then I said "look out, I'm going to back it into the garage. Instead, I put it in first and drove it around the block, only camera we had handy was Johns cell phone. Youtube sucks, the video really isn't this bad, but here it is .. turn your audio on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzf_TtXiHtE

It came back leaking all types of fluids I've got all that corrected, I think, will do another short drive Sunday. Today is get the gearshift adjusted day, and install the tunnel, shift boot. Had to insulate the tunnel, per ERA procedure. Have appointment with DPS Waiver inspector Mon to get inspection. Then will see if I can get it titled and registered. Will take Monday off work to do all that, fingers crossed. Doing it the legal way to set the procedure for all who come after me

See y'all Sun at the Garland show, in the caddy .. the Cobra is not legal

Sam