Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     
Default Gaining confidence, overcoming fear

well yesterday (sunday) i FINALLY took Pepe out for a nice drive.

You may or may not remember my problem from last Fall. I was driving home from my kids school and the car just 'died'. Did it several times, and after waiting for a good while (30 minutes or so) it would 'start back up' and make it a few more miles. Took it to Rob, and he determined the old carb was done, and had been rebuilt enough.... so, i got a new carb. Well.... driving home from the shop, it cut out and DIED again! This time, right off of LBJ. Glad i wasn't on it. Well, another load up in the trailer, and I took it right back to Rob. hmmmmmm
Michael got on the phone to Gary M. and determined it probably was the ignition module (of which i had the spare Gary gave me in my tool box AT HOME)
Well, got it to Rob, and he installed it. Michael drove Pepe around Plano, etc for a good while, and didn't encounter any problems.
So. I've had the car back home all this time, and haven't driven it but a couple of times. Around the neighborhood, but staying off of major roads, highways, etc. Just not confident to do any major driving. The weather has not been steadily 'good', as in one day beautiful, the next day freezing... ya'll know...
so. Sunday looked to be as good as any, and I took to the nice country roads near me. Drove around for about half an hour, then back home. Decided to go out again, and actually CROSSED Beltline, and went to the Sonic and then to get fuel. No problems. Got on the 'service road' for hwy, 80, but didn't have the courage to actually get on 80. That's ok, tho'.
Cruised around a little bit more, thru neighborhoods, down lanes, accelerating, slowing down, basically running the car thru different gears, stops starts, etc.
No problems.
I am feeling a bit better about the whole thing.
I also took Gus out for a nice cruise with my hubby, and even got the 500 out as well. Triple play, I guess.
I am hesitant to drive Pepe very far yet, maybe a Keller's, or Fat Daddy's. Not sure. That would entail getting on a 'hiway' and I just don't know.....
Of course i could take NWhwy the whole way around from me.... hmmm

So. What do ya'll think?? Think things are 'good to go'???
Confidence coming back.....
gosh i HATE being stranded in that car!!! Very disconcerting and frazzling.

well just thought you might like an update.

K
Old 02-11-2008, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 742 / 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Electronics...Bah. That is exactly why my 428 has points. My Lotus has all the Bosch electronic bullsh*t and leaves me stranded at every opportunity (its a female). If I really want to arrive somewhere on time and in style, I drive the Cobra (with the points).
Old 02-11-2008, 07:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

Kristen, I know it causes a tense feeling when you get out there and think it might quit and leave you stranded at who-knows-what point....... just have to do what you are doing. Once fixed, get in and drive enough to prove to yourself that all the gremlins are gone. It was an ignition problem, you got it fixed. Symptons are gone so nothing else is wrong. Remember me working on mine in Austin while all the rest were going on the cruise? Ignition problem. Once fixed it likely stays fixed.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics, 302 stroked to 347; Metallic British Racing Green
Not Ranked     

Kristen...I SO understand the 'fear factor'...lol. I only have about 850 miles on AC HISS down here in Austin, but EVERY time I drive it I worry about

a) did I really tighten the bolts enough on the steering/suspension/etc
b) which electrical 'thingy' did I wire incorrectly?
c) did all my 'customized' steering and suspension mods really need to be done?
d) wtf IS that squeaking sound?
e) did the brakes/clutch work ok LAST TIME I was out?

and perhaps the worst of all

f) who will see me and laugh when I am stranded on the side of I35...LOL

I guess it's just the cross we bear...LOL

Good luck

Glyn

"No, I DON'T have an accent, this is how English sounds when it is pronounced correctly!"
Old 02-12-2008, 04:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch build......a little every day.
Not Ranked     

Kristen,
Let me borrow Pepe for 6 months. Here in the panhandle we don't have much in the way of hiways. No fear factors. I'll be glad to help ya out and locate any problems.
My Cobra is almost done , LU D CRS , and I'm already planning the "baby steps" I will be taking with this car.
Dave

Last edited by elgecko; 02-12-2008 at 04:06 AM..
Old 02-12-2008, 06:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star 351W/408CI 525HP
Not Ranked     

Kristen,

I have 400+ miles on mine and each ride is alittle bit futher. This last weekend I also took a 45 mile drive and I would get up to about 60-70 mph and turn the car off and coast for awhile as I listened for any suspicous noises. None so far but alot of surprised looks as I coasted up beside someone and then hit the starter. I am really surprised that these home built, custom cars are as solid as they are when finished. When it was just 50 boxes, frame and body in the middle of the garage floor I never would have imagined.

Larry
Houston, Texas
Old 02-12-2008, 06:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates,SBF 357
Not Ranked     

You need to just get in and go. I ? whether or not you needed a new carb. Back when you were having the problem several others and I suggested you were having problems with the electronic ign. system, and it looks like that is fixed. Now its time to put all that behind you and go out and enjoy the car. Worst case would be another trailer ride for pepe. Just go have fun.

sharpe 1

Last edited by sharpe 1; 02-12-2008 at 06:57 AM..
Old 02-12-2008, 09:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Facotry Five Daytona Coupe 392 Ford Racing
Not Ranked     

Why don't you call me sometime when you want to test it on the highway. You could cruise out to my house and "if" something were to happen, I'd be available to help?
Old 02-12-2008, 09:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA GT #2077, 331 SBF, Webers, Gurney Eagle heads
Not Ranked     
Default Great excuse for a cruise!

Kris, just pick a Sunday and let us know when and we'll ALL go somewhere together. Lot's of mechanics along. If you'd like, I'll follow at the rear of the group with the trailer ...

Cheers,
Sam
Old 02-12-2008, 09:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 427 S/C, 351W, 5 Sp & KMP142 - 427 SO, 4 Spd
Not Ranked     

Kristen,

I had a similar problem with mine which also turned out to be computer module that would shut down when it got warm. I replaced it and haven't
had a problem since. At least now if and when it does happen again you will
know just what to fix! Sounds like you have cycled it plenty by now - go for it.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

Kristen
I'll be your chauffeur for free. Just feed me. And I come with a cell phone and NO turtles or frogs.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Wicked
Not Ranked     

Kristen, You are also welcome to cruise to Lavon and I will help you out if needed.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:04 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

Ms K

1) Put a smile on your face.
2) Make sure you have a cell phone and a credit card with you.
3) Get out and drive with a smile ... and put smiles on all the people you see when you are driving.

Do not fear breakdowns. Life is too short to worry about what "might" happen in the future.

Go for the gold. You deserve it.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #867 gone....
Not Ranked     

I sounds like it's running great.
I'd drive it to Austin.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:23 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

yes, Robert (sharpe1, i think that's your name) i remember the recommendation you and others made on the thread i posted last fall. Generally it was divided amongst carb problems or ignition problems.
When i first took it to Rob (my very trusted mechanic) he felt pretty confident it was the carb. So.... that's what 'he' (we) did.
At this point i don't think it was the carb (obviously!!) but now i have a new one.
maybe that's a good thing.
Regardless, the ignition module does seem to be working and solved the problem.
I certainly hope so!!
I know a lot about my Cobra, but then again, there is a lot i don't know. Probably know nothing mechanical, electrical in the big scheme of things.
I have to trust my mechanic and others!!

hey, Jim. I ALMOST drove over on Sunday, but just couldn't get up the courage to GET ON 80, and 'cross the bridge'. NEXT TIME!!

I don't particularly mind being stranded, it's just frazzling on lbj or such.

Sam.... not sure i'm ready for a real cruise, but hey, if you're willing to pull the trailer rather than drive your beauty, then well ok; let's go!!!

I'll keep ya posted.

K

hmmm. miles. drive it to Austin. Yeah, right! If YOU want to drive Pepe to Austin, then more power to ya, just don't call me if something goes wrong!! Does that mean I trailer Annie???

Last edited by hey,littlecobra; 02-12-2008 at 12:32 PM..
Old 02-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

In my trunk I keep a bottle jack, portable stands, a well-stocked tool bag and a can of Fix-A-Flat. If that can't get me out of trouble, a fully charged cell phone and my AAA card (along with a huge sigh and look of disappointment on my face) will get me and "the Red Head" home, again.

Ever since I swapped out my crank and rod bearings, I probably look at the oil pressure gauge more than I do the road! I just have to keep reminding myself that cars are made to be enjoyed...and they do break occasionally. Just get in and drive Pepe before you're too old to do either.

-Dean
Old 02-12-2008, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Kristen,

I am sure Pepe' is fine. Rob worked miracles on my car before the Texas Motorspeed once and I was having similar problems. Just jump in and start driving toward Plano (that way if anything happens - which it won't) you will be on your way to Robs shop. Have fun with your car and allow your friends to again enjoy your company...they miss you!

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 02-12-2008, 03:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Roush 427
Not Ranked     

Put on the Pink Bikini and let it roll. LOL, db
Texas Motor Speedway
Old 02-12-2008, 04:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique #9159 428 FE 614HP by FE Specialties
Not Ranked     

Kristen,

Life is too short for fear to ruin a good time. A big smile, hair blowing in the breeze and people looking and waiving will soon make you forget about the past problems and believe it or not...the problems will not return. Have fun...you have a GREAT car!

Tom
Old 02-12-2008, 04:31 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

whew! I feel better....

Quote:
"In my trunk I keep a bottle jack, portable stands, a well-stocked tool bag and a can of Fix-A-Flat."
.... I have all those things nicely arranged in a lovely bag in my trunk, too..... they sure look pretty...... hmmm don't think i have portable stands, tho'.

well I guess it's back in the saddle for me, and I'll try to 'overcome' my hesitation and fear. Thanks for the encouragment!!!

K