Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2008, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Spring Meet comment/concern/issue - vendors

I've been hearing some concerns mentioned about manufacturers/vendors at the event this weekend. And thought I should put them out there for the group.

This event is for Cobra enthusiasts from around the state and around the country. Whether you have a car, have had a car, are building a car or are just dreaming about a car, this event is for you. And as our motto says "It's not about the cars, it's about the people." And it truly is. We have over 200 people registered for this event and it promises to be a great weekend.

That said, there's been some comments and concerns voiced about the prominence of vendors. And their use of our event as a "showroom" and "sales opportunity." Which is justified. We have a fun-packed weekend and don't need to be made to feel like we are just potential customers.

And it's not like we haven't dealt with this in the past. We had a T-shirt vendor join the group solely for the purpose of hawking their Tees never to be seen again. And we had a manufacturer drive across country and take up a huge chunk of parking with his trailer and motorhome and then get snotty to those in charge of this event when asked to move. And there's been talk of having a separate manufacturer event within this event which honestly has gone over like a screendoor on a submarine with the folks that passed that on to me.

I have no authority to say who can and cannot come and who can and cannot hawk their wares. But I do know what has not gone over well in the past and I certainly know that I far more appreciate those vendors that understand that this event is about the Cobra Club members and not their business. And we've had them attend in the past. I don't think anyone would argue that Doug Reed, when he's been able to attend, is more of a Texas Cobra Club member than a Superformance dealer. The fact that he has customers at the event or has a car to show you if you ask is never the foremost thing you see.

So if you are a vendor coming to this event, please don't take this as a scathing indictment of your intentions. Rather a reminder to not take the prime parking places, or spend the weekend trying to show off your cars or other merchandise. If you truly want credibility, it will best be earned by just being a part of the group and having a great time.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane #1037, 351C, TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default See What happens

See what happens when you become an elected offical....

Love Ya Colleen

Gregg H
Can't find a ride to Baghdad (60)

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."
Old 03-30-2008, 09:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

It was great having Keith Craft attend as not only is he a great participate and fun person to be around but how about working on all those cars that were having problems through the weekend!!! Many not even his products but lending a hand to get the Cobra running right. Thanks Keith!
Old 03-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     

I think the vendor thing this year was ok. Not too many, and certainly pulled their weight with assistance and margarita machine.....
as long as the vendors realize they are also there to HAVE FUN and not just try to sell their cars then ok by me......
They can write off their weekend vacation to Austin!!!!!
Old 03-31-2008, 12:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL - TK0600, Electromotive EFI, Keith Craft 408W "standard crate", ~575hp
Send a message via MSN to Texas-Saluki Send a message via Skype™ to Texas-Saluki
Not Ranked     
Cool Vendors, vendor where is the vendor

Colleen,

This year we only had three vendors. Keith Craft, Texas Driving Experience and the new superformance dealer.

Like Kristen said I really enjoyed the TDE truck and the fun stuff they brought along, plus having Keith at the event is always enjoyable to have the guy who constructed your motor.

From a space perspective I don’t think the guys took up too much space and I never even saw the new superformance guy (besides his trailer)…but as everyone knows I am kind of in my own little world.

For 2009 I would really like to see more vendors and this is my reasoning. There are a few reasons people come to these events.
  • Hang out with the group (adult beverages included)
  • Hill Country cruise
  • Ideas for your own car
The third item is where the vendors come in as extra “bonus”. When I came to the event originally 5 year ago I looked at everyone’s car to see what they had done, differences in model’s, etc. to come up with my own build plan. Having Keith Craft and others can dramatically add value to this process. Every year I see the cars and say…hmmm I could do that…or I talk to Keith and say “really oil in the water is bad” . Most of our schedules are crazy and would be great to maximize the time to learn about new products that can make building, maintaining or upgrading our cars during the social events.

I am not suggesting this become a vendor run event but especially if we are looking for changes in 2009 I would highly support adding more vendors, maybe in a special vendor area and they could pay a booth fee to help defer some of the registration. There are a lot of creative ways to increase the number of vendors and keep the same or better accommodations.

Now this may all be mute if vendors don’t see value in coming. TDE and KCM both come to these events because they are members and have fun there return on investment requirements are minimal as they would come anyway.

Thoughts/comments?
http://www.thenolands.com

www.txcobraclub.com
Old 03-31-2008, 12:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star 351W/408CI 525HP
Not Ranked     

Chris,

You hit the nail on the head!!!! I enjoy seeing these guys there and as long as they aren't pushy vaccuum cleaner type salesmen then it's perfect.
I talked to Don Barnes about setting up my 15 yr old for a driving class, and saw Keith make the event 10 times better for those who otherwise would have just been watching and loved how he wasn't afraid to get dirty, and I, like you never saw the Superperformance guy and Brian from Lone Star Classics trailer logged more miles than anyother wheeled item there helping recover those that needed Keiths helping hand. I agree with you to let them come and participate as long as they are there for the fun also. We aren't complaining and don't want to hurt anyone's feelings but this can get even better!!!

Larry
Old 03-31-2008, 12:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL - TK0600, Electromotive EFI, Keith Craft 408W "standard crate", ~575hp
Send a message via MSN to Texas-Saluki Send a message via Skype™ to Texas-Saluki
Not Ranked     

Larry,

Good point on LSC... I forgot they were there... not in the way at all

They did have a nice canopy but I never had a chance to walk over
http://www.thenolands.com

www.txcobraclub.com
Old 03-31-2008, 01:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics, 302 stroked to 347; Metallic British Racing Green
Not Ranked     

Brian at LSC loaned his trailer to help pick up the 'burning car on 6th street' on Thursday night, AND loaned the trailer to one of the Austin Cobra Club guys to follow the Hill Country Tour on saturday to pick up any 'breakdowns'. ( Which I know well, since MINE was the one that got picked up!!!! )

Additionally, the LSC tent were only too glad to share libations and hot dogs whether you had an LSC or not!

All in all, I think the event was MUCH better WITH the vendors than it would have been WITHOUT them.

I say bring 'em on, the more the merrier, provided that (and I HATE to agree with Larry...LOL) "as long as they aren't pushy vaccuum cleaner type salesmen" !! We should have some kind of "positive vetting " process perhaps!

Glyn

"No, I DON'T have an accent, this is how English sounds when it is pronounced correctly!"

Last edited by GlynMeek; 03-31-2008 at 01:08 PM..
Old 03-31-2008, 01:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

But I already see a flaw in the ointment. Lonestar Classics was there also. And that's the problem I see. Where do we draw the line on who gets to be a vendor? If you've got every manufactuer bringing in sleeper trucks and trailers we start taking up valuable space for actual members. And which vendors get to come? Is it every manufacturer? Every rep for every manufacturer? I have to think that if I were the Austin/Houston SPF rep I wouldn't appreciate the North Texas guy coming down to my turf. And what limits to do we put on what their involvement is? Brian with Lonestar had a tent with his trailer this year and that's the first time I recall him doing that. So he didn't offer up free food or alcoholic beverages, do we charge him more? Less? And who's going to take on that part of the organizing? And how do we keep from selling our souls for what they are offering?

We've had people say over and over they don't want this to be vendor driven and they don't want the focus to be on the dealers. And quite honestly I did have specific concerns expressed to me about the Superformance Dealer from Dallas prior to the event. And honestly there's an asshole with Backdraft that I'd like to see never set foot in the state of Texas again. He was incredibly rude and took up the entire center section with his trailer/motorhome (ya know where we set up the corral?). Why should he be allowed back?

I'm a definite NO on having the vendors there as vendors. If you can name 5 people in your local club and when the meetings are, then you are probably there for the right reasons.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Aluminum CSX4000
Not Ranked     
Default New Superformance Guy

This was my 1st time attending the Austin Meet and I wasn't sure what to expect. Doug Reed informed me a few weeks ago that the Meet wasn't about VENDORS as much as it is about a gathering of friends. My goal for the weekend was to meet people w/ similar interests and to spend time w/ my wife and kids. I planned to take the drive on Saturday, however my #98 car did not arrive from Colorado until late Friday w/ literelly NO MILES on the engine. I chose not to drive it that far being NEW and needing timing and fuel adjustment to compensate for more than 6,000' in elevation change.
No Regrets on this end...
I met several great people and we got a chance to see and enjoy Austin more than we have since moving to the Marble Falls area back in August. We went out to Driveway Austin and met w/ the owner Bill about a possible partnership between his racetrack and my potential customers. We also had a chance to eat some great food that Marble Falls and Kingsland don't offer.
I am looking forward to next year.
www.427LEGENDS.com
Old 03-31-2008, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Trac,

Doug hit the nail on the head. And sounds like you took his advice to heart. Glad you had a good time.

Colleen
Old 03-31-2008, 02:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #968 / Genesis 427 Aluminum S/O
Not Ranked     

Nice points so far. I've only been involved for about 1-1/2 years now with you goof balls, and enjoy it even more all the time. The BEST about the Austin gathering is the grass roots feel. That's the beauty of it. It's a "community" block party.

But who can deny the advantage of have Don & Jim with a sound system (playing my music at that), watching Keith pull apart an engine as if it was nothing, or having the trailers assist stranded drivers. I feel these guys would have done it even if they didn't have the facilities. So we must watch ourselves, and not cut off our nose in spite of our face. It's a thin line here.

Let's keep it on the personal level and not turn it into a commercialized festival. I'll head to Mid-America for the sales pitch and seminars.
SPF #968 w/ Genesis Aluminum 427 S/O
CVAR vintage racer: 1965 Mustang Fastback w/ HP 302
Old 03-31-2008, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Oh there's no denying it was great having those folks there. And I bet if you asked them the question I mentioned earlier all three would be able to name 5 people. Don and Jim have been Cobra Club members for far longer than they've been vendors. Same with James Yale, who wasn't able to make it. And Debra and Dave in Houston who handle the shirts are HCC members first and foremost.

I don't want to run off these people who truly "get it" and have relationships by bringing in people who are just in it for the buck.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

Hello to all TCC members,
Just wanted to let you that Keith and myself had a very nice time at the meet this year, this was my first time. We were not there to push any products in anyone's face. Keith even told me on the way there that it was more of a chance to get to spend quality time with our customers and was not really a trade show of sorts. I do not feel as if we were pushy in any way and if it come off that way we truly appolagize. We simply wanted to enjoy spending time with people who also love our hobby. I had a great time being able to put a face with many of the names that are on engines we sell. We did not set up tables with brochures and pamplets full of pricing and crate engines. I dont know that I even priced a single engine this weekend. We just wanted to be available if anyone had any questions and to show some engines that we thought any gear head would love to admire. So many people made comments about us helping Mr. Bill with his engine, that was not a chore to us, we are gear heads and enjoy working on these cars. Thanks to everyone for a great weekend and I cant wait to see you all again next year. Once again we sincely are sorry if we upset anyone with our being at the meet.

Lance Smith
Keith Craft Performance Engines
Old 03-31-2008, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics, 302 stroked to 347; Metallic British Racing Green
Not Ranked     

Lance...don't apologize at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

If you upset anyone, screw 'em, they were being over sensitive!

"No, I DON'T have an accent, this is how English sounds when it is pronounced correctly!"
Old 03-31-2008, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance#191 Silver/Blk stripes, Keith Craft 427W 600/585
Not Ranked     

I was glad to have them all there! I thought they added a lot of interest to the meet. To me, they were just fellow cobra enthusiasts...not vendors! Bring 'em on!!
Old 03-31-2008, 05:18 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

oh yes.... Lance. That darling young man with the cute a$$ hanging out with the old dude.
You two can come work on my car(s) anytime.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

Mrs. Kristin it was a pleasure meeting you. Keep making people smile.

Lance Smith
Keith Craft Performance Engines
Old 03-31-2008, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thankyou Kristen...way to turn all of us into nothing but sex objects for your idle pleasures!

LOL

Glyn

Old 03-31-2008, 06:08 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Glyn..... speaking of sex objects, you did not offer me a ride in your lovely 'daily driver'??????????
i got a nice ride in a GT..... (thank you Chris C.)

well hasn't this been a nice hijack of Colleen's thread!

I think ALL VENDORS should have to submit photos to Colleen and me for future consideration into displaying their WARES at the TCC spring meet.
what say you, Colleen??
(since we are just about the only girls on the TCC that post, anyway )

oh wait... I've already started! now where did i put those photos of Lance and Keith??? hmmmmmmmm let me find them.........

bwwwwhhhhhhaaaaaa!!!!!!!